Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Throw angle is a bunch of bull too

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throw angle is a bunch of bull too
    Posted: 05/06/2010 at 11:14pm
SD

Edited by pnachtwey - 03/20/2012 at 3:57am
Sponsored Links

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2010 at 11:23pm
How many different rubbers have you tried on the same blade.....and how many blades have you tried with the same rubber?

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2010 at 11:26pm
The throw angle is the angle the ball comes off with you loop it. If you loop the same ball (with backspin or topspin) and have one bat with Bryce and one with T05, you'll see how much higher the T05 comes off. The difference is the throw of the rubber.

As an engineer, you should look at the data (evidence) first, before dismissing a theory because it seems like bull to youWink. A good engineer can always find a theory to suit the data! LOLLOLLOLBig%20smile
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2010 at 11:37pm
you can look at it like this....the topsheet of a rubber is the main reason behind "throw angle". if a topsheet is super sensitive to spin, the ball will kick up like crazy when blocking a loop (with an open blade face perpendicular to the table). a rubber that is less sensitive to spin (we'll say anti-spin so that you can see the other extreme) will have no reaction to spin...so the ball will just bounce back forward with little height.

hope that helps.
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2010 at 11:54pm
A

Edited by pnachtwey - 03/20/2012 at 3:58am
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 12:01am
Its all a property of topsheet, sponge, and blade flexibility and rigidity.

All topsheets are different and so is the pimples pattern in them. Depending on how the pimple bend into the sponge will yield to different results.

I would suggest contacting table tennis engineers for details. I am sure if you call up Yasaka or Stiga, they would provide you the answers.
Back to table tennis...
Conan the Greek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan the Greek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 12:14am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I am a relative TT rookie but I am an experience engineer and I think the talk about throw angle is BS. I would like to see some evidence that an engineer would believe that one rubber or blade throws higher or lower than another.

As an engineer, it should be intuitive that different pip patterns, sponge rebound rates, sponge hardness, topsheet grip and hardness would all have an impact on throw angle.

As for a higher throw from countering a loop as opposed to hitting a chop... well, you did say you were a relative TT rookie. But consider a very close / slow motion look at the direction of rebound of the ball from a stationary grippy surface when the ball has backspin compared to topspin.

pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 12:25am
This video should prove it for you.  Start at 2:20.  They are comparing old vs. new Outlaw, but as you can see the trajectory is somewhat different even between old and new.

Zero user variables in play, since blade is held by fixed clamp, with robot shooting the balls at fixed speed/spin.

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 12:40am

I am a relative TT rookie...
It shows Wink
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 1:12am

Not everyone is a looper. Is this a good way to rate a blade or rubber? A lot depends on the play. I am suggest that the paddle be place stationary on a table and the ball drop at the paddle with various spins and angles so only the blade and the rubber are tested, not the player.

It's just one parameter of a rubber, and it may not be useful to everyone.

If you loop the same ball (with backspin or topspin) and have one bat with Bryce and one with T05, you'll see how much higher the T05 comes off.

But this is player dependent and subjective.

Yes it is, but we're not looking a number here, we're just looking whether it's high, medium or low. This can usually be judged well enough by players that have used a fwe rubbers.

The difference is the throw of the rubber.As an engineer, you should look at the data (evidence) first,

That is what I am looking for. So far I have only seen opinions. I know that I can do meaningful tests by dropping balls on paddles with controlled spins and at different angles of incidence.   Show me where this has been done and I will believe.

I know it's real from personal experience, but accurate throw numbers are not useful, as they vary too much between styles/strokes. Usually you only want to know if it's high or low compared to other rubbers.
I'm sure a setup could be used to prove the concept, but it will be quite complex, and you'd have to ask yourself if it's worth the effort...

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

The throw angle is the angle the ball comes off with you loop it.

What about when a playing against a chopper? My T05's throw is mighty low and it takes great care to keep the ball from going straight down into the table or into the net. It is obvious that the opponent has a great effect on the 'throw'.

The point is that it will still be higher throw than if you looped the same ball with a low-throw rubber. This is what makes it high... it's a relative term compared to other rubbers.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 1:22am
well said haggis! +10000000000000000000000000
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 1:24am

posted by pnachtwey What about when a playing against a chopper? My T05's throw is mighty low and it takes great care to keep the ball from going straight down into the table or into the net. It is obvious that the opponent has a great effect on the 'throw'.

This is not the throw that comes in to play, the throw comes in to play when you actually manage to loop the ball. You might still hit the net, but the arc of the ball is high with T 05, while it is low with Mark V m2. This is not because of the player, cause I've used them both and when I switched to T 05, I had to change my bat angle for my loops, cause they where way to high.
The holy grail
ppmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 1:39am
pnachtwey,

You misunderstood what throw meant. Hope others have made it clear.

You have a good idea about quantifying throw of rubbers using a standardized test method. How to do it would be a good topic.

JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 3:13am
Has Sid returned?
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 3:34am
Originally posted by JKC JKC wrote:

Has Sid returned?

.... +1

or Varghese   
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 3:55am

I am a relative TT rookie but I am an experience engineer and I think the talk about throw angle is BS.

I'm a relative Engineering Rookie, but I think that Newtons law of Motion is Bullsh*t...........Imagine if I wrote that on an Engineering forum, and you can get an Idea of how you look on a TT forum, sillyLOL
The Older I get, The better I was.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 7:17am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I am a relative TT rookie but I am an experience engineer and I think the talk about throw angle is BS.

I'm a relative Engineering Rookie, but I think that Newtons law of Motion is Bullsh*t...........Imagine if I wrote that on an Engineering forum, and you can get an Idea of how you look on a TT forum, sillyLOL

ROFL!!!LOLLOLLOL
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
murrayblhrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murrayblhrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 9:37am
Originally posted by pushchop pushchop wrote:

This video should prove it for you.  Start at 2:20.  They are comparing old vs. new Outlaw, but as you can see the trajectory is somewhat different even between old and new.

Zero user variables in play, since blade is held by fixed clamp, with robot shooting the balls at fixed speed/spin.

I think this video's interesting, but factors such as the rebound effect tested in the beginning are hard to consider, especially because blade angle factor plays such a large roll in determining the rebound height, length.

On the same topic, it is clearly visible in the video that the ball would hit the bat angled in the vise and slightly move, thus completely changing the results drastically of even the trial being tested.............
pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 11:02am
Pnachtwey, swap out one of your T05 with a $5 sheet of low throw 729 Lightening from zeropong.com.  Now compare the throw angles on FH.

At that very instance, clouds in the sky will part, sunshine will pour down on you, angels will sing, and a big halo will form around your head.  Well, maybe not.  But at least you'll prove to yourself what throw angle describes.  :-)

Hey murrayblhrc, yes, it's no science lab but I applaud them for the effort trying to be objective. 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 11:43am
Throw angle has a lot to do with the pips from my experience.  Tall pips can get underneath the ball and push it up.  Flat or big pips don't do that and tend to send the ball in a straighter path.  I first figured this out when comparing the 729 sst (tall) pip with the stranger shaped ritc 2000.

The base sheet seems to be pretty simlar, but the pips of the 2000 definitely seem to play "flatter."

Topsheet tackiness only adds to throw angle in terms of its' reaction to spin.  I don't consider this a true contributor to throw angle.

That said, I think it's fairly minimal between most rubbers and will easilly be compensated for with a little getting used to any rubber.  It's certainly not as big of a deal as made out to be by some people on forums.  Most of them probably hit the ball long and then blame it on their high throw rubber, or vice versa.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 2:10pm
Blades have different throw angles too.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 3:33pm

I am suggest that the paddle be place stationary on a table and the ball drop at the paddle with various spins and angles so only the blade and the rubber are tested, not the player.

Wrong experiment design:
- it has to be vertical to account for the gravitational force field

but even then drop a forward or backward spinning ball at an angle on glass and then on rubber. if the throw angle differs.. that means it is friction dependent... and you can infer why rubbers with diff friction (and other factors too) differ in throw angle

But this is player dependent and subjective.

right. player dependent means not their 'face'... but the pressure they exert or angle the contact or speed of contact etc... which are all physical variables.

That is what I am looking for. So far I have only seen opinions. I know that I can do meaningful tests by dropping balls on paddles with controlled spins and at different angles of incidence.   Show me where this has been done and I will believe.

huh! lets see... people in forum who are dying to make pnatchweywawawawhosoever believe.. please create a fund and contribute. Or else you know what will happen?

HE WONT BELLLLIIIIIEEEEEVE!!

ooops. sorry i wish i was one ;)

What about when a playing against a chopper? My T05's throw is mighty low and it takes great care to keep the ball from going straight down into the table or into the net. It is obvious that the opponent has a great effect on the 'throw'.

You are right! ... by throw we usually mean throw on a topspin ball. If you consider backspin... it will be a mirror ...so T-05 will have lower throw than say Super Anti.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Absolutely. As a blade tester for BBC I can verify this.
BBC, SP, LP
hojim View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hojim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2010 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Absolutely. As a blade tester for BBC I can verify this.
I don't doubt you, can you explain this one as there is no  contact with the actual ball and blade. I do however agree that different rubbers have different throw angles. I know that blades of different hardness will affect the bounce but the actual throw...???
American Hinoki 2 ply POC/NWC Shake FL Rakza 7 FH Boost TS BH (testing)
1 ply Hinoki shake FL FH Rakza BH Pride 30
San Wei A5 FH Rakza 7 BH Pryde 30
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2010 at 10:10pm
sid alert???
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2010 at 10:41pm
I would agree that the term "throw angle" is the first thing I see taken out of context and is usually more subjective than a scientific mark on how something is playing for somebody. Due to the fact that no two wooden blades are the same and no two people play the same throw angles tend to vary... but both blades and rubbers do have throw angles and those angles combined do create a throw when looping or spin is involved. The problem when using this as a measure for how either a blade or a rubber is supposed to play or behave is that there is too much variance as described above to take this as anything but subjective feel for how this or that is playing. A peice of 1.9mm tenergry on a stiff blade will have a much lower throw than a 2.1mm sheet on a OFF- blade while looping but at low speeds the throw will be more similar due to the fact that the ball is interacting less with the wood / sponge and more with just the topsheet.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2010 at 3:01pm
AS

Edited by pnachtwey - 03/20/2012 at 4:00am
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2010 at 3:13pm
^

Above wall of text is too long.

Did not listen!
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2010 at 3:30pm

Well at least blah blah blah blah blah... ad nauseam
APW46, you are on my s-list.
Finally, haggisv, what kind of moderator are you that allows misquotes and think it is funny? I never said that Newton's laws of motion are BS just the way the term throw gets used and its subjective nature.

pnachtwey, I get that you want a more quantifiable rubric as it applies to TT gear... I do.

BUT

You better wash your hands, well, that's after you walked in here & handed all of us our asses.
This forum was plugging along quite nicely before you came along to tell us how we are doing it all wrong!
Calling out haggisv on his rightly carrying about his duties as a moderator?
Preposterous!

putting APW46 on your "s-list"???
That's rich!
I'll let you know right now; he will loose no sleep over it!!!

Picture the forum like someones living room.We've all been invited to a party! On any given night & we are all just guests, coming & going.

I'm going over to the other side of the room now.
Good Day & Good Hitting.
Smile

NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2010 at 3:34pm
I would argue that very few things in all of sports are as precise as the feel that a 2000+ level table tennis player has for the way a blade or blade-rubber combination plays.  It is the same precision that professional musicians have for their technology and it is just as mysterious to rookies.  Throw angle is a pretty good term and other people at similar playing levels and with similar styles of play -- that is to say, not TT rookies -- know what is meant.

As for believing what the manufacturers say about their products, well anyone who is not a TT rookie knows that most companies either tell you nothing useful about how it plays, or they will simply claim that product X has more speed, more spin, AND YET more control too!!!  The only way to know is to try something, or to talk to people who you know have the experience and playing level to be a reliable source.  One thing is for sure, most of the time too frequent equipment changes will retard your development as a player.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic