Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

using rubber cement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

As far as I recall people glued rackets with Elmer's and it was tested fine 2-3 days after the gluing. So Best Test must be way more VOC-packed...

Best Test brand rubber cement and Elmers have the same VOC amounts.  The fact that fatt added 25% thinner to the Best Test rubber cement....pushed the VOC content way up.  

No it didn't  Rubber cement is typically about 75% pure VOC.  So you could double the thinner amount and only get 87% pure VOC.

n-Heptane which is what is commonly used these days is extremely volatile.  That means it evaporates rapidly.  fatt's failure almost surely has more to do with how he stored the racket or some other factor that has not been adequately accounted for.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by Ranger-man Ranger-man wrote:

If we use rubber cement do we need to seal our blades heavily since it is presumably a much stronger adhesive than water based glues. With water based glues hairspray protects my blades just fine.

Actually, water-based latex glues are STRONGER than rubber glues. They just need more time for the rubbers to get attached - under press usually. My experience with three types of rubber glues and two types of water-based tells me that WB glues are always stronger. With  Elmer's I take off rubber without any effort, very smooth and easily. With Galaxy Aqua I only do that after the blade is sealed and it requires some pulling (very careful!).

What I find is that water based glues stick to the wood more strongly than do VOC based glues.  The VOC based glues tend to stick to sponge and rubber more strongly than do the water based glues. 

My guess is that the water based glue seeps into the wood deeper and that the VOC based glues soften the sponge and/or rubber making for a stronger bond there once everything is cured.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 9:05pm

So this means that other than the VOC issue, rubber cement is actually better gif gluing. Sticks faster, easier to take off, and no water that might harm the blade.

Faster to dry .... yes.

Easier to take off ... not in my experience.

Water to harm the blade ... I've yet to see anybody demonstrate any damage to a blade other than splintering when the blade is not well sealed.

That said, use rubber cement if it works well for you.  Just make sure you use it well before any tournament where testing will occur.  Also, consider carrying some water based glues with you in case you need to make a repair at a tournament.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 9:09pm

So this means that other than the VOC issue, rubber cement is actually better gif gluing. Sticks faster, easier to take off, and no water that might harm the blade.
I totally agree.
Just a quick note: I do seal my blades anyway even if rubber cement is safer.
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 7:15pm
I have read a post saying acetone is better as a rubber cement thinner, because it is non-toxic. Has anyone used acetone as a rubber cement thinner?
robs75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robs75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 8:40pm
Elmers rubber cement in the brown jar is $3 and phenomenal. If I actually press the rubber for an hour aster its glued its a professional as if i had it done by a pro. Taking off is a breeze. You can swap a often as you like with no residue and after you glue it once you just need to apply cement on the blade.
Acuda S1 - Butterfly Timo Boll ALC - Hurricane 3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic