FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

using rubber cement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: using rubber cement
    Posted: 05/16/2010 at 4:56pm
could anybody tell me if using victor rubber cement would harm any of my rubbers and or blade for gluing rubbers?

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7
Sponsored Links

Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2010 at 9:01pm
I don't know. Elmer's is readily available... no? Super Wally world ect ect

What have you been using?

speaking of which, I need to go pick some up tonightThumbs%20Up
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2010 at 9:14pm
im using a brand from advanced auto parts called victor.which is thin enough top be a table tennis rubber cement this stuff is amazing and sometimes acts as a speed glue. i have no idea why though i was just wondering if using rubber cement was a bad idea? 

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2010 at 9:30pm
well then, maybe I'm headed over to an auto supply store!

rubber cement is fine to use (even though it has a tiny amount of VOCs, presumably) shrinkage ~can~, not necessarily will, occur if you don't allow it to dry "properly".
just let it dry before applying!
NEXY Lissom st 85g
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2010 at 9:39pm
whaT DOES PROPERLY MEAN >_>

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2010 at 9:43pm
WHOLY CRAP!
this stuff is similar to speed glue =] but it only cost 6 dolars!!!!

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2010 at 9:44pm
my rubber is doming :D

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2010 at 11:55pm
I used elmer's rubber cement and it contains n-Heptane as a thinner, and I think n-Heptane is also a speed glue component, which is why it domes the rubber. I guess the thin rubber cement from auto parts store has more n-Heptane in it thus more like a speed glue. You wanna wait until the dome goes away before putting the rubber on and cut it...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 12:47am
Originally posted by austin austin wrote:

whaT DOES PROPERLY MEAN >_>

ZingyDNA has it ~completely~ covered!

thanks ZingySmile
NEXY Lissom st 85g
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 3:13pm
elmer's is problematic (too thick). I prefer best test paper cement with 25% bestine (thinner loaded with heptane).

http://papercement.com/papercement.html paper cement
http://papercement.com/bestine.html thinner

75% paper cement and 25% thinner is my favorite mix but 100% paper cement is OK..

My racket was declared illegal at the nationals (enez) in las vegas using that combo even though I had applied the rubbers almost a week before. It was a voluntary testing (just to see) and my jaw hit the floor!!!

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

elmer's is problematic (too thick). I prefer best test paper cement with 25% bestine (thinner loaded with heptane).

http://papercement.com/papercement.html paper cement
http://papercement.com/bestine.html thinner

75% paper cement and 25% thinner is my favorite mix but 100% paper cement is OK..

My racket was declared illegal at the nationals (enez) in las vegas using that combo even though I had applied the rubbers almost a week before. It was a voluntary testing (just to see) and my jaw hit the floor!!!

As far as I recall people glued rackets with Elmer's and it was tested fine 2-3 days after the gluing. So Best Test must be way more VOC-packed...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

As far as I recall people glued rackets with Elmer's and it was tested fine 2-3 days after the gluing. So Best Test must be way more VOC-packed...

Best Test brand rubber cement and Elmers have the same VOC amounts.  The fact that fatt added 25% thinner to the Best Test rubber cement....pushed the VOC content way up.  

Usually I found that adding about 10% thinner was enough for a better application layer, if you needed to add any thinner.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Best Test brand rubber cement and Elmers have the same VOC amounts.  The fact that fatt added 25% thinner to the Best Test rubber cement....pushed the VOC content way up.  

Usually I found that adding about 10% thinner was enough for a better application layer, if you needed to add any thinner.

I see!

What I did once was to pour one teaspoonful of ultra-fine kerosene into a regular small bottle of Elmer's. It helped with thickness but added only about 5% of mass, I think, so it must have been relatively harmless in terms of VOC content.

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 8:45pm
i guess but i have found that victor brand rubber cement works best. you can use it without any thinner you can pick it up at any advanced auto parts shop.

vader555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vader555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 12:40am
what kind of thinner do you use? paint  or lacquer thinner?
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 12:55am
I just use elmer's rubber cement on its own and it works just fine. You have to put a decent amount on because of its thickness which will dome the rubber. One layer on the rubber, one on the blade and you have yourself a fine setup. 
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 1:43am
Originally posted by vader555 vader555 wrote:

what kind of thinner do you use? paint  or lacquer thinner?

I've used lacquer thinner which worked very well... I have not tried paint thinner... Both are nasty stuff, so watch out...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 10:33am
If you buy the elmers in the metal liter can it doesn't need to be thinned.  If you buy it in the small brown jar, then yeah.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 10:43am
really?

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 11:30am
yeah, the small brown jars turn to glop before you even buy them.  the metal liter tins have much better consistency.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

If you buy the elmers in the metal liter can it doesn't need to be thinned.  If you buy it in the small brown jar, then yeah.

where do you get those? Home Depot?

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 12:26pm
staples or office depot

dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 1:06pm
You can get it from any art supply store.  I used to use Elmer's rubber cement and didn't find it too thick at all.  It all depends on how much you apply.

Nowadays I use Bty Free Chack, though I don't feel it's really necessary as I don't compete seriously.
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by austin austin wrote:

staples or office depot

I mean that big 1-liter metal cans. Of course I can buy Elmer's at any pharmacy or at Staples - but those are small plastic bottles...

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 1:28pm
yeah thats what i meant you can get them there. but i still recommend the glue from advanced auto parts its 6 dollars a can has built in brush and you dont need to thin it out.

Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 3:30pm
If we use rubber cement do we need to seal our blades heavily since it is presumably a much stronger adhesive than water based glues. With water based glues hairspray protects my blades just fine.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 3:31pm
i dont use anything to seal it btw can you tell me how to seal my blade with hairspray i want to do it but dont know how or what to use

dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 3:56pm
You don't need to seal your blade at all with rubber cement.
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Ranger-man Ranger-man wrote:

If we use rubber cement do we need to seal our blades heavily since it is presumably a much stronger adhesive than water based glues. With water based glues hairspray protects my blades just fine.

Actually, water-based latex glues are STRONGER than rubber glues. They just need more time for the rubbers to get attached - under press usually. My experience with three types of rubber glues and two types of water-based tells me that WB glues are always stronger. With  Elmer's I take off rubber without any effort, very smooth and easily. With Galaxy Aqua I only do that after the blade is sealed and it requires some pulling (very careful!).

Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2010 at 8:50pm
So this means that other than the VOC issue, rubber cement is actually better gif gluing. Sticks faster, easier to take off, and no water that might harm the blade.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic