Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to hold shakehand blade correctly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ssiew968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssiew968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to hold shakehand blade correctly?
    Posted: 05/17/2010 at 12:20am

Hi all shakehanders,

How do you hold your blade? Found that lots of professionals hold blade differently. Especially when using forehand and then backhand. What is the ideal way and why? Which give you power and control?
FH:Xiom Omega IV Pro Max
BH:Donic Acuda S1 Max
Butterfly Innerforce ZLC (flare)
Sponsored Links

geotjakra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geotjakra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 1:16am
For me, it seems I have more controll and power when I put my index finger on the BH rubber while smashing a FH, but if I want to do a high torque spin FH or BH, all my finger are on the handle, holding it loosely (just hard enough so the blade does not fly out from my hand, and hit/graze  the ball (almost at 90 degree angle), while keeping my wrist very loose so it acts like a whip.
King EpiCai. http://www.geoffreytjakra.com
NCT Off Wood 729 Cream LKT Pro XP ....
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 2:25am
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33916

Pay attention to what baal says (table tennis hell). I kind of agree.

My advice is to find a grip that you never change between bh and fh; that can feel comfortable and satisfy both your bh and fh endeavors.

If you start thinking a grip change can help your game it probably means you are trying to hide a bigger problem that you are aware of and want to ignore.

Now depending the situation holding your handle loose or tight is another story. IMHO that's what your focus should be on here.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 3:46am
The neutral grip is arguably the most common way to hold a blade where both forehand and backhand are equally balanced.  This is the recommended grip to developing players such that they are "forced" to work on their fundamental strokes without biasing either wing.  The blade is held so that one of its shoulders lies evenly at the root where the thumb and index finger join.  One side of the thumb is laid either on the forehand rubber or on the wedge of the handle whereas the tip of the index finger touches the backhand rubber parallel to the thumb.  The remaining fingers then wrap around the handle accordingly, with the first or second knuckle of the middle finger(depending on one's finger length) slightly bumped against the other shoulder giving stable support.

The forehand- or backhand-oriented and deep or shallow grip are variant of the neutral grip.  It is a personal preference and often reflects a player's style.  For forehand-oriented grip, one shoulder of the blade lies more prominently towards the thumb side of the root and the index finger is placed upward more away from the shoulder.  For backhand-oriented grip, the entire length of index finger lays flat on the rubber.  As for deep and shallow grip, the former gives more control and accuracy yet the latter allows wider wrist movement and agility.  For deep grip, the blade is held up the handle more with the second knuckle of middle finger hanging on the shoulder.

Ultimately, it is one's own style that determines the ideal way of holding a blade.

Below are pics of Chinese players' grip:
Kong Linghui(Deep backhand-oriented)

Wang Liqin(Forehand-oriented)

More
Some more
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 4:13am
the grip angel has spoken!
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 4:17am
Awesome pictures!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 4:20am
man! I am back to grip hell with that nice post. I am fascinated with the topic(s) of grip and no matter how hard I try to get away it seems I'll get caught.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 6:20am
Its very personal, I don't like my grip to be too deep (high up the handle) as it limits flexibility for over the table play, I like to rotate my blade with my fingers. A 'deep' grip is however more stable in strokeplay, the best thing to do is find what is useful for you, and for Gods sake, don't get into the habit of changing grip regularly as you copy other players, or you could end up a GJ (grip Junkie)
The Older I get, The better I was.
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 6:25am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Its very personal,�I don't like my grip to be too deep (high up the handle) as it limits flexibility for over the table play, I like to rotate my blade with my fingers. A 'deep' grip is however more stable in strokeplay, the best thing to do is find what is useful for you, and for Gods sake, don't get into the habit of changing grip regularly as you copy other players, or you could end up a GJ (grip Junkie)

OOOOO NOOOOO! EJ EJ EJ EJ, now a new thing called GJ !!
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 9:22am
hahaha my grip is naturally so fh oriented!!!!  explains the stability i get from driving and looping.

i cant get myself to do the more bh oriented grip as much as i try.  feels extremely unnatural.

very good post zeio! Clap
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 11:28am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Its very personal, I don't like my grip to be too deep (high up the handle) as it limits flexibility for over the table play, I like to rotate my blade with my fingers. A 'deep' grip is however more stable in strokeplay, the best thing to do is find what is useful for you, and for Gods sake, don't get into the habit of changing grip regularly as you copy other players, or you could end up a GJ (grip Junkie)

Messing with your grip is the ninth circle of table tennis hell!!!!  Cry DeadBroken%20Heart
Dead
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2010 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Messing with your grip is the ninth circle of table tennis hell!!!!  Cry DeadBroken%20Heart
Dead

+1.  I used to change grip between FH and BH, and since trying to stay with 1 grip (FH grip), my BH (which used to be my ace) is a hit and miss now.  I did try with a more BH grip, but don't feel comfortable at all.  Good news though, is that I think I have passed the frustration period, and started to get a 'grip' on the new FH grip Wink.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2010 at 2:09am
Waldner said for forehand put your index finger up the bh rubber surface (almost to the middle of the rubber), for backhand just move the index finger down near the edge of the rubber (to make space so your finger will not hit the ball).

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 8:24am
Looking at M. Maze on this video in slow motion, I think he twiddle the blade angle a little bit between BH and FH loop.  I use to twiddle the blade angle a little bit between BH and FH too (a habit from CPen grip) , but tried to stop. Maybe I do not need to try too hard to stay with one grip. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=locofduK2dQ&feature=related
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 8:51am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Looking at M. Maze on this video in slow motion, I think he twiddle the blade angle a little bit between BH and FH loop.  I use to twiddle the blade angle a little bit between BH and FH too (a habit from CPen grip) , but tried to stop. Maybe I do not need to try too hard to stay with one grip. What do you think?

If you are fh dominate, simply use the grip you use for fh on your bh.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 8:57am
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

If you are fh dominate, simply use the grip you use for fh on your bh.

That is what I try to do now.  But my point is that trying to stay with one grip may not be necessary.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 9:00am
If you really think so, but I luckily already find it comfortable holding it that way Tongue
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 9:38am
i also change my grip between FH and BH, i tried a neutral grip but my BH suffered too much, my coach says its ok
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 10:34pm
I have a somewhat unorthodox grip in that my forefinger wraps around the wing of the blade instead of resting on the BH blade surface (APW has seen it).  The result is something just a little bit forehand dominated -- or it would be except that I play with short pips on my BH which means I don't change my grip at all between strokes.  I've been doing it ever since I switched to SP several years ago.  It is very comfortable, it works for me, I have the same feel for the ball that I did with a more orthodox grip -- and I would never advise anyone else to do it that way  One of the first ways I evaluate a new coach is if they try to change my grip before having played with me for awhile, I pretty much tune them out for much else they may say.  Because if they play with me for awhile, the grip is never mentioned. 

I say, use what is comfortable for you and don't start messing with it.  You will regret it if you do.  
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2010 at 7:23am
I had attended an international seminar 20 years ago in Greece and the coaches there had said that it is not bad to change grips. The Swedish national coach (1987-1990) Glenn Osth , had been analyzing for many hours how to change grips by predicting the opponents moves and shots. He said that a good player must predict where the ball goes and change the grip at the same time.
When teaching a young player is better NOT to change grip though.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2010 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

I had attended an international seminar 20 years ago in Greece and the coaches there had said that it is not bad to change grips. The Swedish national coach (1987-1990) Glenn Osth , had been analyzing for many hours how to change grips by predicting the opponents moves and shots. He said that a good player must predict where the ball goes and change the grip at the same time.
When teaching a young player is better NOT to change grip though.

I agree with you.  I talked to many top many good players and coaches, and they all basically told me that if I have time to change, change it, do not handicap myself by staying with the same grip.  Seem like using a neutral grip is a bad idea though, as you handicap both wings, so if you were to stay with the same grip, pick the one that is best for your style.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2010 at 12:09pm
It is ok to change your grip between shots if this comes natural for you.  I have seen quite a fe w good players who do this.  But if you have been gripping a certain way for a long time and suddenly start trying new things with your grip, it is unlikely to work out very well.
infinite_loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infinite_loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2010 at 1:57pm

Answers from German national coach Richard Prause (intended for players training seriously)

How to hold the racket? Should you change grip? Who should change grip? When should you start changing grip? Why should you change grip?

http://www.butterfly-world.com/newsletter/butterfly-news77.pdf page 11

Role of thumb and index finger. Pros and cons of various positions of thumb and index finger

http://www.butterfly-world.com/newsletter/butterfly-news78.pdf page 11

Serve grip

http://www.butterfly-world.com/newsletter/butterfly-news79.pdf page 9

infinite_loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infinite_loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2010 at 2:15pm

Advice I have heard

1. Young player training seriously to become a pro/advanced player

........ 1.a. Until mastering basics: neutral grip

........ 1.b. Aftering mastering basics: practice changing grips so that it becomes natural

2. Not seriously training

........ 2.a. Primary goal is to win matches, and maintain/improve rating: neutral grip

........ 2.b. Primary goal is to have fun: change grips. Can play cool shots at the cost of being caught with the wrong grip.

Edited by infinite_loop - 06/27/2010 at 2:24pm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2010 at 2:24pm
In my experiences, changing the grip comes naturally as one develops feel for the ball/racket contact. It is just like one changes the grip one uses when painting a wall. The more feel one develops for the speed, spin, position, pace of the game the more one can adapt to individual changes that are occurring during play. 
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 5:47am
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

In my experiences, changing the grip comes naturally as one develops feel for the ball/racket contact. It is just like one changes the grip one uses when painting a wall. The more feel one develops for the speed, spin, position, pace of the game the more one can adapt to individual changes that are occurring during play. 

Agree
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 7:29am
on youtube you can watch the butterfly training video of kalinikos kreanga.
-What advice to you give to table tennis players?
He says,(greek accent) "it's very important for player to have a steady grip"
so pretty much what most of you guys said, keep it neutral, don't be a grip junkie.
If you're a two wing looper or want to be one, changing your grip will f up your development. these days only the old school penholders are 1 sided players, or low level anti/lp players
Grip, is really really hard to change. It took me months to go from a garage learned grip to a standard grip. It's like weening a baby off milk. it's hard to give up the milk at first, but after you give up milk, you can eat delicious food
flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 1:18pm
First of all perhaps it was romanian accent...and changing your grip it's bad only for beginners...after a certain level it's almost recomanded...It is not easy but you can do many things with that Wink
Viscaria, FL

T05 hard, 2,1 mm, black, fh
T05 hard, 2,1 mm, red, bh.
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 5:16am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I have a somewhat unorthodox grip in that my forefinger wraps around the wing of the blade instead of resting on the BH blade surface (APW has seen it).  The result is something just a little bit forehand dominated -- or it would be except that I play with short pips on my BH which means I don't change my grip at all between strokes.  I've been doing it ever since I switched to SP several years ago.  It is very comfortable, it works for me, I have the same feel for the ball that I did with a more orthodox grip -- and I would never advise anyone else to do it that way  One of the first ways I evaluate a new coach is if they try to change my grip before having played with me for awhile, I pretty much tune them out for much else they may say.  Because if they play with me for awhile, the grip is never mentioned. 

I say, use what is comfortable for you and don't start messing with it.  You will regret it if you do.  

Disagree !
I've improved faster when I correct my grip !
The grip is really important, so beginner plz find a good coach to correct the grip.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2015 at 9:47am
This is a really old thread! I'm not sure if you noticed that when you posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic