Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OSPblades Forum Testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 54>
Author
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2011 at 1:21pm
@imago.
how much would the Musko combo w/Mercury 2 weigh? My Musko weighs in like 92g, just as consistent & expected unlike the weights of these Btfly highends especially as they can vary like from 83g all the way to high 90s, a good example would be that Btfly TBS. It just makes me scratch my head re: QA/QC of these Btfly high ends.
As for QA/QC of OSP blades, well...it's just top notch IMHO. I just love the "Raw" or no fancy or no "please look @ me, me & me kinda" looks of OSPs....
Just immaculate & fabulous....

Edited by tiehwen - 02/17/2011 at 1:22pm
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2011 at 1:45pm
About 185 g, provided your Musko is 158x150.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 10:21am
After last night's practice, I have really come to like my current set-up. Virtuoso with Omega IV Pro on fh and Vega Euro on bh. I have great feel and can get lots of spin. The feedback is just perfect for me and I get about 20% more shots on the table. My bh blocking has improved a lot and I seem to have so much more control over the angles that I block back with. I made so many points by blocking slightly short balls way out to either side, moving the opponent around so much that they mis-hit or didn't get to the ball anymore.
I was still able to perform my attack loops with good speed and control and my smashes had better control and placement, with just a tiny loss of speed.
Now I'm trying to secure a spare sheet of O IV Pro at a reasonable price, as this one is getting some edge damage from hitting the top of the table during low pushes.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2011 at 10:11am
Update:
7 months later - still using the Virtuoso / H3 Neo / Acuda S3. Control is still better than any blade in it's speed class. The blade performs very well out to mid-distance; it is possible to generate pressure on opponents with consistent, big topspins from that range.

The only time I feel like straying is when I play with my 15 year old Yasaka Extra (it is quite a bit slower than the Virtuoso and both max speed drives and counters have better control). Is the Expert roughly the same speed as an older YE? The EJ in me wants to buy new blades, but I have been really unhappy with my Stiga purchases in the past year or two.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2011 at 8:47pm
Icontek

Of the three OSP blades I've tested, my favourite is the Expert.

It is easier to control than the Virtuoso and it has a great feel to it.

The Black Limba outer plies of the Expert, are stiffer than the White Limba outer plies of the Virtuoso; which gives the blade a crisper feel.

It's 5.45mm thick and has a 160 x 151mm blade face; which means the Expert has the benefit of high torque; which gives it a catapult effect when you loop or drive the ball harder; in the same way as blades like the Hurricane King and Offensive Classic.

Some players don't like the catapult effect of flexible blades like the Expert, particularly with heavy rubbers and their complaints are usually related to blocking and smashing.

Whilst i can understand that being a problem for players whose game benefits from using a stiffer blade; I personally don't have any problems with blocking, smashing or any other shot with the Expert. Mind you i learnt to play Table tennis with a 1976 Offensive Wood years ago and therefore have the kind of game, that works well with this type of blade.

The Expert is slower than the Virtuoso overall and closer in speed to the Yasaka Extra. Having said that,  the catapult effect that I've mentioned before, means that when you hit harder or loop faster; with medium hard tensors like Platin, 47.5% Macro Era; the Expert's top end speed can feel like it's as fast as the Virtuoso, fitted with Tenergy 05 and 64; which makes it a versatile blade.

I've played with 2mm Platin, 2mm 47.5% Macro Era and 2mm Blitz; on both the Virtuoso and Expert. Blitz works equally well for me on both blades; whereas I find Platin and Macro Era, a better match for the Expert.

I like the way H3 Neo plays on the Virtuoso; but haven't played with H3 Neo on the Expert. Even so, I can imagine H3 Neo working well on the blade.

To sum up; I think the Virtuoso is a very good blade; whereas I think the Expert is even better.

Edited by Peter C - 02/21/2011 at 8:51pm
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2011 at 11:01pm
...must...control...EJ...virus...
...must...not...buy...another...good...blade...

kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 12:42am
Resistance is futile......
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 2:36am
I am pretty much immune now to any temptations.  But reading Peter's comment on Expert, something was tickling inside of me.  Should I go EJing again?

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 3:07am
Summum bonum hic et nunc! Tongue
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 6:04am
Icontek

Irrespective of whether the EJ bug bites you or not in future; you've still got the pleasure of owning and playing with a quality blade, in the Virtuoso; for years to come.

speed29 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 9:11pm
I've now been playing with virtuoso for 4 months.
It is a very good blade, well built.
I think I've found a good combination with sriver g3. It is very nice with quite hard and fast rubbers. You have the speed and the control (and the feeling). It is also good with a plain old mark V and a skyline tg3.
I've played a few sessions with virtuoso+. With hard rubbers I prefer the normal virtuoso (better feeling). But with softer rubbers (pilot power, calibra lt sound), I could get more speed with virtuoso+ with the same control.
I think this is a question of personal feeling; both blades are good.
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 4:51am
This is the review of my 2 OSP blades : Virtuoso S and Expert ( 150 x 158 head size).

1. Virtuoso
I´ve been playing with this blade for first half of season. On forhand I put Acuda S1 2,0, on backhand I had andro Hexer 2,1.
Serve: With Hexer great, very good spin and placement. With Acuda its OK only, there was problem to make short serves spinny.
Receive: Very good control. I can receive short with sure and also has enought dwell for attaking opponet long serves.
Topspin: This is where Acuda  shines, very easy against underspin and enought speed off the table for topspin to topspin rallies. Very predictable behavior. When I turn Hexer on forhend, There was no enought power and too soft feeling for my taste. But I found Hexer better for backhand, because its a bit slower and give me more control.
Block: With Hexer I have to play more active. Acuda has better passive block, because of harder feeling and less dwell + more speed.
Smash, drive : Acuda feel great, very stable, not blazing fast, enought speed. Hexer less stable, OK only.
Chop, push: Suprisingly very good, can make a unpleasant undrespin from both sides.
short game: Nothing say about this, very easy, becouse this combo is not bouncy. Acuda in this department a bit better.

Summary: This blade is great for attackers playing mostly on the table, that mix active and passive game. Good balance, not head heavy. What is special is the feeling, it feel so so good when hit the ball. Most similar blade I´ve played to this is Samsonov Alpha, bu itś paper wight and has too small head.

Next time I will continue with Expert.
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 7:37am
Now I write my short review about Expert. I ask PPL system to make my head size 158 x 150, later I sanded it to 157 x 150, and for a heavier one. Mine is 88,6 g - great weight for all+ blade. Handle is anatomic as my Virtuoso. Love this handle, the best I ever tried. Thickness 5,5.
The blade looks great, dark limba looks different from that new Stiga Offensive classic. Looks similar like top ply on Stiga OC from late 70-ties.
The feel of the blade is crisper then Virtuoso. Tried it with the same rubber than Virtuoso - Acuda S1, Hexer. The blade is flexy, but not as much as my Stiga OC - probably because of smaller head size.
Speed is right All+, in the range of Yasaka Extra (I played with Extra about 1,5 year), but Expert is more dangerous. The more you go to ball, the more you get from it. Cause its head heavy, it helps to make the fast loops. With full body swing the expert is as fast as Virtuoso, maybe a bit faster!!!
After few session I found that I´m more dangerous for my opponent than with Virtuoso. I can destroy some attakers with good placement and heavy pushes.
I´m not all out attacker, but definetly more attacker than allround player. My strenghts are: service, forhand topspin and ball placement. That are the areas where Expert is superior to Virtuoso. Especially short serves and slow spinny loops are deadly for my opponents.

I played with this combo only 2 weeks, than I had shoulder injury. After 1 week rest I found that table tennis is drug for me, so I start to play with my left hand (I´m right hander) just for the fun.
I attached two Mark V with 2,0 thickness and start to learn play with my left hand. The feel of this combo is awesome. After six weeks training 3 times a week I made great improvements with left hand:))
But one thing is sure - for me the number one blade is Expert.
I recommend this blade to:
-  players who are still learning basic strokes - with some classic rubber like Mark V or Sriver in 1,7 or 1,8 you have versitale bat with enought zip.
- all styles from allrounders to attackers that play more on spin than speed

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 8:36am
arggghhhh the EJ virus is eating into my soul...... must resist....
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 8:57am
You are killing me. I have started alternating between my Virtuoso and YE, simply because some days I like the crispness, and over the table control of the Virtuoso and others I like the slower feel and flex (for big spins and big strokes) of the YE.

Please stop telling me that the Expert is like the YE on steroids.
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 1:56pm
I have an Expert and I had a YE. I don't think they are similiar. 
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

arggghhhh the EJ virus is eating into my soul...... must resist....
+1. U should've said the contagious EJ virus is eating into the core of your soul.....I thought there shouldn't be anything better than my main, Virtuoso, obviously the more I read abt these reviews the more I'm on shaky ground....darn, it's not very good..... 
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2011 at 8:11am
At a Tournament yesterday I watched my friend break his Stiga Active Blade TWICE (he had 20 min epoxy and reattached blade grips to handle 1st time, then neck to blade face BETWEEN matches).

And it made me realize that even my Yasaka Extra is a less than ideal backup blade should my Virtuoso get broken in an accident.

I started the tournament with my YE, and then switched to my Virtuoso once I was warmed up. Immediately blocking/placement and service control improved and the ability to smash low underspin increased. I went 13-1 yesterday, winning both my divisions, with at least 9 of those wins coming from the Virtuoso.

Thank you again Palatinus for a superior product that allowed me to execute whatever strategy was necessary to beat each of my opponents.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2011 at 8:30am
Get an Expert ALL+ as the new backup and the YE will be the backup of the backup.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
fzolesz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fzolesz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2011 at 10:09am
I'm going to test my viruoso with Stiga Magna TC II MAX FH,BH :)
I'll post my impressions soon
OSP VIRTUOSO AC (L=159 mm)( Aramid/Carbon)

FH: Tenergy 80
BH: Tenergy 80
Boosted with Falco long

OSP Blades

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2011 at 11:21am
Well, after playing with Virtuoso for a bit, I went ahead and switched to Expert.  They flex differently, so I am still getting used to it, but overall I like both.  Interestingly, I keep on progressively going to slower blades as I get better.  After an initial acclimatization period, there is no less power, but I definitely like the extra control over the table.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - 03/22/2011 at 11:23am
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2011 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Well, after playing with Virtuoso for a bit, I went ahead and switched to Expert.  They flex differently, so I am still getting used to it, but overall I like both.  Interestingly, I keep on progressively going to slower blades as I get better.  After an initial acclimatization period, there is no less power, but I definitely like the extra control over the table.

ILya

How do these blades compare to your old stiga?

I'm curious. Why do you think there is no less power? Is it because of improvements in technique/timing? Or is it simply that you can swing harder without concern that the ball will go long?

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2011 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

How do these blades compare to your old stiga?

I'm curious. Why do you think there is no less power? Is it because of improvements in technique/timing? Or is it simply that you can swing harder without concern that the ball will go long?

Expert is closer to my old stiga AR classic than Virtuoso is.  I can play with the AR Classic and have Expert as a spare and vice versa.  In my case, because my job involves a lot of travel, I will keep one in my table tennis bag and the other in my travel bag.

In terms of power of the shot, if your technique is properly matched to the equipment, there is not much power difference between fast and slow blades for someone playing my style (unless you go to real extremes, like super flexy defensive blades).  For hitters, blade speed makes much bigger difference.  Also, I suspect that people with very compact stroke it might make a bigger difference.  My stroke is naturally quite long, so I do not depend on quick rebound from the blade.  Also, as I am getting better I am becoming more comfortable with long dwell time and trampoline effect of the blade.  It gives me additional options for spin variation and over the table looping.  The downside is that with long dwell time on the blade, timing changes a little bit, but that is a matter of practice.

There are several things I can do with a slower flexier blade like the Expert, that I could not as easily do with the stiff blades I played with in the past (Virtuoso is almost as good in this regard).  
Looping deep serves is much easier, since I have more margin for error in case I misread the spin.  
Over the table looping with my BH is easier since I can catch the ball fairly low and lift it over the net while it is still on the blade.  Then I can choose the release point depending on where the opponent is and whether I want to make the ball dead or spinny.

From mid-distance, I mostly try to outspin the opponent, and the slightly more head-heavy balance of the Expert works better for me than the Virtuoso.

For 3rd ball attack, I see comparatively little difference between the two.

Blocking was slightly easier with Virtuoso, but I suspect that it is a matter of familiarization.  Ditto for short game.

As far as hitting and smashing goes, I almost never do that, so I am not concerned.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2011 at 4:36pm
On 11.03.2011 I received Musko for testing. Even though the first test blade was lost, Laszlo was kind enough to send me another blade. The blade looks great, just like the Virtuoso I already own, the finish is very good, no rough edges.
The blade was marked at 93,2gr by Laszlo, on my kitchen scale (not very accurate) was between 94 and 95gr. It has a SQST (square straight) handle. Thickness 5,95mm.

Initially I put Thor's on FH and Blitz on the BH. It was the first time when I bottomed out Thor's, but I think it was a bad glue job and I'll give it a try again in the future. I tried Thor's on a few blades before, but it didn't bottom out. This combination was heavy and I just recovered from a shoulder pain because I used a (head) heavy setup. I switched to a pair of CJ8000 on soft sponges, the setup was lighter, but I couldn't loop because of the soft sponges. I put Blitz again on the BH and XuShaoFa on the FH. This combination weigh 195gr (extremely heavy in my opinion) and my timing is bad, but I like the feel. Somehow the blade makes the contact with the ball longer which in return helps in generating more spin. The blade feels solid, not hollow like most of the blades I've played before. I don't feel it flexy, still I can loop easy with it. Compared with YEO it feels more precise, not as hard and more balanced.

Now let's see how it plays.
Pushes - it's a breeze, for a 7 ply blade it's amazing how easy I can push. The ball doesn't pop up uncontrollable like it does from YEO for example and I can keep the ball close to the net. Again, for a fast blade it has very good control in the short game.
Chops - I usually don't chop, but surprisingly I managed to chop easy.
Blocks - Until now, the OSP blades are the best blocking blades I've played with. With Virtuoso I could drive the ball where I wanted and from a defensive stance I could switch to attacking because I could drive the ball where I wanted and put the opponents in trouble. With Musko is not as easy as with Virtuoso, but I can keep the ball on the table easily even when I'm attacked. Blocking far from the table is easier with Musko than Virtuoso because Musko is faster.
Loops - Easy money. I can loop from close and far, I just have to remember that I shouldn't force when I'm close to the table, I have to emphasize on spin rather than speed. When I loop I noticed the improved spin on the ball, my opponents don't know how the ball will bounce off the table and they mish*t the ball often.
Smash - much more precise than YEO.
Serves - fast, spinny serves are easy; slow serves are not as easy compared to a slower blade, but this is a 7 ply blade; the heavy setup needs a good wrist in order to generate spin.
The biggest con of this blade is the weight, I wish I'd find some lighter rubbers to have a total weight of 180gr max.

As a conclusion after a week of play with it I can say it's not for a begginer (this doesn't mean that I'm an advanced player). I want to see if I keep my good opinion after a couple of weeks. I gave it to a better player than me to test it and after a few balls he return it, at first I didn't understood why he didn't wanted to play with it. After we finished playing I asked him why he didn't want to play more with it and he said that he fell in love after the first two balls. He asked if the rubbers are freshly glued on the blade and I said yes, he responded that he wants to try the blade after a week or two to see if it plays the same.

For the next period I wish to have time to play with as many opponents I can find.
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2011 at 11:15am
Tnx much Thot.
Anyway due to the length of that thread I need help to get the other testers nick. I cannot find them. And now fortunately GraemeW apperaed with the other test Musko. Fortunately he is OK, just flood of work but can ship the other test blade for the next tester. Tnx for your help
we make real professional handmade table tennis blades - ospblades.com
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2011 at 7:24pm
hello pllsystem i would be somewhere upthere on the list i think either 3rd or 4th tester on the lists
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 10:25am
Regarding testing, Arg0 has nearly finished testing the Ultimate and will be passing it onto johnny89atc.

If anyone else is interested in testing the Ultimate; please get in touch with either johnny89 atc or me; so that you can test it after him.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 10:51am
Let me know if there is ever an Expert available to test.

I would truly hate to give up my Virtuoso (the winningest blade I have ever owned :), but if I do, I want it to be for another OSP, based on the control, quality, consistency and incredible versatility of Palatinus' work!
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 11:34am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Let me know if there is ever an Expert available to test.

I would truly hate to give up my Virtuoso (the winningest blade I have ever owned :), but if I do, I want it to be for another OSP, based on the control, quality, consistency and incredible versatility of Palatinus' work!
+1 on both counts.
I would also love to test an "Expert".
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2011 at 11:57am
I would also be interested in testing an Expert. I discovered that I prefer non-limba outer plies.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 54>
  Share Topic