Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you consider a heavy blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you consider a heavy blade?
    Posted: 06/12/2010 at 9:29pm
Hey everyone just wondering what you guys consider to be a heavy blade at the moment my blade is 180 grams with almana and butterfly g2 on a petr korbel would you consider this heavy.

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7
Sponsored Links

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 10:44pm
YES!!! for me anyway. I like my blade setup in the 170 gram range. Also good balance is very important to me. My setup below comes in at around 166 grams. Presently using a Amultart with Donic Coppa Gold X1 Max FH, F3 Big Slam 2.0 BH at that is 171 grams and very balanced.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2010 at 11:13pm
Yes! My TBS+2xT05 is 181 grams.   I am getting over the initial shock but I still think it is heavy. I am looking for lighter options but will stick with what I have until I find something that is much better. If the pros can use my kit then the paddle is good and any fault lies with me.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 2:04am
Any blade over 90 g is heavy.
Timo Boll2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo Boll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 3:45am
Maybe to 100g it is light,over 100g it`s heavy.

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 3:48am
I prefer 90-95 gr range blade. More than that is considered heavy. Heavy blade but the weight distribution is balanced doesn't feel heavy. Lighter blade with head heavy weight distribution will feel heavier.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 8:17am
It has by now became a general consensus here in Russia, amongst many experienced coaches, that complete racket setups (shakehands) both being under 165gr and over 180gr would feel equally UNCONFORTABLE to play with, regardless of player's physical stature and body weigh.
Hence I am mightly happy with my current setup being something like a "Golden Weight", that 175 gr.
PS: My special 'thank you' to our resident-forumer Mr.Silvalis for maintaining an utterly useful database http://mass.doingitwrong.net that I used to consult everytime before my shopping for a new piece of rubber sheet.
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 8:54am
Thankyou for your input btw you guys know anything about the stiga optimum sync and how it compares to the petr korbel im using. i mean the peter korbel im using it GREAT, but the handle is awful and i am currently looking for some table tennis grip tape to thicken it. and the optimum sync handle is perfect so... how do these two blades compare?

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 9:37am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Yes! My TBS+2xT05 is 181 grams.   I am getting over the initial shock but I still think it is heavy. I am looking for lighter options but will stick with what I have until I find something that is much better. If the pros can use my kit then the paddle is good and any fault lies with me.

That setup is somewhat on heavy side, but still balanced enough. Balance is more important of a consideration. I like 90-100 gram blades that are solid and balanced. I do not like head heavy blades at all, no matter what their weight is.

BTW, I use a TBS with One T05 and 999 or Gambler Outlaw, depending on what the humidity is like.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 9:41am
so i guess my blade is considered heavy lol...

Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 4:16pm
For me, a heavy blade weights more than 95 g.
I am used to play with heavy setups, and the fact is, that I LOVE heavy blades LOL.
My ALC is 92 grams :)
Blade: Timo Boll ALC 92 g.
Forehand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (black)
Backhand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (red).
Perfect loops
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 4:49pm
I personally prefer a setup in the mid 180's, which I would consider as heavy.
My TBS plus 2xT05 2.1 is 186 when little glue is applied and the rubber is precisely cut to the edge of the blade (my TBS is 91 gr).
It took me some time to get used to the weight of similar setups after the ban of speed glue (before my setup's were in the high 160's) but by now everything notably lighter feels somehow wrong.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 5:28pm
A blade is heavy, if it is over 95 grams and a bat gets heavy if it's over 188 grams; as you start to notice it's weight.

89-94 grams is a good weight for a looping blade, like the Petr Korbel.

It depends what you are used to. I prefer balanced bats around 175-186 grams.
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 5:33pm
Personally I prefer light blades, my current one is 80g. So anything at 90g and upwards is heavy to me.
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 11:10pm
I took out my Schlager Carbon this evening to play with (I love playing with this blade for fun). This is about the first time in a year. I weighed it and I was totally blown away, 96.5 grams (HEAVY). I slapped on an old sheet of Stiga Boost TC FH, and an old sheet of F3 Big Slam BH (both 2.0mm) and the weight was 172 grams. I had an amazing evening of table tennis with it.

I guess my point is you can get away with a heavy blade depending on what rubber combinations you are going to use. Very similar to a race car, you have to continually tweek till you achieve optimal performance.

Also being an EJ is not such a bad thingApprove after years of trying new stuff you begin to get a sense of what rubbers (dynamics) will go with what blade (speed, hard/soft, material and weight).
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 8:36am
My heaviest blade is 96.5 grams, which I can play OK with it.  So my guess is anything heavier than that will be too heavy for me.
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 8:39am
alright thanks guys. also does table tennis grip tape make the weight of the blade grow by a lot or does it affect it very little? i need it so then my korbel will have the "right" handle size for me.^_^

kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 8:56am
grip tape will effect the balance of the blade, so it should make a head heavy blade feel lighter.
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 9:03am
alright thanks so would you say that it will make a petr korble blade with almana 2.0 and sriver g2 1.7 become more balanced?

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 11:49am
I use BTY grip tape on my TBS, because I sweat like crazy and I need to be able to grip the bat with a dripping wet paw. I also like the slightly thicker handle you get with tape. I don't feel the extra weight of the tape and actually the bat feels a little better with the grip tape.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
neolooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neolooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 1:54am
I have blades 75 to 100 grams. A 75 weighs .42 oz. less than a 100 gram blade.I think it matters more on the weigh of the rubbers. I think 100 grams or more is getting heavy. If you weight train a little or paddles feel light.Ying%20Yang
Andro Temper Tech off-, Galaxy T-11
Fh.Palio Hk1997
Bh.Palio Drunken Dragon,   Andro Kinetic Cf Light Off, On Fh.Bomb Ufo J.Tension, Max,Bh Dhs Hurricane Neo 3

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

I took out my Schlager Carbon this evening to play with (I love playing with this blade for fun). This is about the first time in a year. I weighed it and I was totally blown away, 96.5 grams (HEAVY). I slapped on an old sheet of Stiga Boost TC FH, and an old sheet of F3 Big Slam BH (both 2.0mm) and the weight was 172 grams. I had an amazing evening of table tennis with it.

I guess my point is you can get away with a heavy blade depending on what rubber combinations you are going to use. Very similar to a race car, you have to continually tweek till you achieve optimal performance.

Also being an EJ is not such a bad thingApprove after years of trying new stuff you begin to get a sense of what rubbers (dynamics) will go with what blade (speed, hard/soft, material and weight).

Nice post,
I also love playing with Schlager Carbon for fun...
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 5:17am
i considered my 96 gms acoustic st as heavy didn't feel heavy though.
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 11:34am
I play with rubber on just one side since I play Jpen or traditional penhold. So no matter how heavy a blade I use, it is rarely over 145 grams in weight. I have a Yoshida Kaii that is about 101 grams in weight and I never knew it was that heavy until I weighed it. It has a slightly thicker handle, being a slightly thicker blade than some others and that made for a good grip, hence it always felt very light. Of course, for some who does RPB, with two rubbers, this blade would end up at about 185 or 190 grams, maybe more.
As a rule, I prefer my blades to be under 90 grams.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 6:10am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

It has by now became a general consensus here in Russia, amongst many experienced coaches, that complete racket setups (shakehands) both being under 165gr and over 180gr would feel equally UNCONFORTABLE to play with, regardless of player's physical stature and body weigh.
Hence I am mightly happy with my current setup being something like a "Golden Weight", that 175 gr.
PS: My special 'thank you' to our resident-forumer Mr.Silvalis for maintaining an utterly useful database http://mass.doingitwrong.net that I used to consult everytime before my shopping for a new piece of rubber sheet.

This is the most important point made in this thread and my own experience agrees with it.  I find my quickness on the table really gets degraded when the racket total weight gets above 180 gm.   However, I like hard sponge FH and BH sponges with power and low throw typically weigh more than the soft sponge rubbers.  As a result, I have trouble getting down to 180 or the even better 178 gm. 

I use an 87 gm Dawei Wavestone, Haifu BWII (FH) and on BH, I've been cycling between Haigu Shark II, Btfly BryceSpeed and BryceSpeedFX.   Its very hard to get the right balance of weight, power and feel.  Quite often my racket is 184 gm (and I used to use rubbers that put me at 194 gm).   I have found that using a weighted racket makes my playing racket feel very light but I've not been diligent about using it and testing if it does help me quicken my play.

Edited by JRSDallas - 06/25/2010 at 6:13am
Galaxy T1 89 gm

FH: HRT Huaruite Wujilong 2 - Dragon 2 II, Max, Black

Donic Acuda S2, Max, Red
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 7:13am
Sometimes a heavy setup is a relative thing...
A blade that is head heavy will feel heavier than a more balance blade, with the same rubber..
for example, a 90 grams blade with hollow handle will feel more head heavy than a 90 grams blade with solid handle..

655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 9:45am
160-170 grams is a normal weight range
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 9:50am
I wouldn't play with anything that weighs more than about 170 grams in total, not if you want to still be playing well by the time you make it to a final
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 10:46am
Originally posted by JRSDallas JRSDallas wrote:

Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

This is the most important point made in this thread and my own experience agrees with it.  I find my quickness on the table really gets degraded when the racket total weight gets above 180 gm.   However, I like hard sponge FH and BH sponges with power and low throw typically weigh more than the soft sponge rubbers.  As a result, I have trouble getting down to 180 or the even better 178 gm. 

I use an 87 gm Dawei Wavestone, Haifu BWII (FH) and on BH, I've been cycling between Haigu Shark II, Btfly BryceSpeed and BryceSpeedFX.   Its very hard to get the right balance of weight, power and feel.  Quite often my racket is 184 gm (and I used to use rubbers that put me at 194 gm).   I have found that using a weighted racket makes my playing racket feel very light but I've not been diligent about using it and testing if it does help me quicken my play.

+100

I find that 168 to 178grams are my zone..but most of my blades are 174-178 grams.  My Yasaka Extra is 88 grams with 2 PME 2.1mm 47's...and it comes out to about 183 with a handle grip wrap (butterfly wrap is about 2g).  With 12mm edge tape it was 186....and felt way to heavy and I lost my touch.  Taking off the edge tape did help a little for reducing the head heavy end of it...but still at 183g....I cant move quick enough even though it loops like a monster!  

Im going back to the slightly lighter PME max 42.5 degree on the Extra for better touch and feel.  In the mean time....I am really liking the slower Yasaka Sweden Classic with PME Max 42.5, I just wish the handle was a bit longer and thicker.  The slower blade and faster rubber seem to be a great allround setup for my game. 

Edited by Rich215 - 06/25/2010 at 10:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic