Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Best" inexpensive BH rubber.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 5:09pm
Have you tried Gambler Wraith? If you test all these rubbers and will not find your ideal, let me know. I'll send you one lightly used GW as a Christmas gift (or Thanksgiving).
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

What IS your style on BH though?
 That is what I meant in my somewhat dry style of delivery, otherwise 'what is the best b/hand rubber' is meaningless to me, sorry for the miss-understanding Anton.
The Older I get, The better I was.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 5:27pm
i like red diamond on my BH also... but the weight is too much. My setup is already usually much heavier than everyone elses. With red diamond on my BH it just goes beyond what i want to load on. I need a lighter version of my blade (my blade is 99g)
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

That is what I meant in my somewhat dry style of delivery, otherwise 'what is the best b/hand rubber' is meaningless to me, sorry for the miss-understanding Anton.

From my understanding, the Chinese traditionally want harder/faster rubber+sponge on FH to avoid "bottoming out" too soon when attacking, because their FH stroke is much bigger than their BH stroke... So there is actually something to "best fh or bh rubber" discussions.  Smile
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 5:44pm

Have you tried Gambler Wraith? If you test all these rubbers and will not find your ideal, let me know. I'll send you one lightly used GW as a Christmas gift (or Thanksgiving).

Thanks! Hopefully one of these will work out, but if not I really appreciate your generosity.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 5:52pm

No worries. Big smile I know there are a lot of perspectives in this sport and I certainly value yours. I'm just an "instant gratification" type and instead of discussing/debating something, I just wanted names of cheap rubbers. Whether or not they'd suit my style I figured I'd sort out later.

But yes, as roundrobin's post implies, I like fairly hard and tacky "Chinese" style rubbers on my forehand. However, I prefer medium to medium-soft, non-tacky "Euro/Jap" style rubbers on my backhand.

Of course, it's all confusing because a Japanese company like Butterfly makes Spin Art, which is a tacky rubber with a harder sponge, and many Chinese companies make non-tacky rubbers with a softer sponge. Wacko

But I think you get my idea: I want a cheap, non-tacky, medium sponge rubber on my backhand. I do a lot of pushing, blocking, and counter-hitting with my BH but I'd like to start developing more attack-oriented play with it. Therefore, I'd like an inexpensive, non-tacky, medium sponge, all around rubber that's not too slow and doesn't weigh a ton.

Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 5:55pm

My friend Anton is a devout pagan. You need wait for no holiday!LOL
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Heimdallalso Heimdallalso wrote:

I prefer "irreligious". Wink But you outed me, Heim! People are going to start throwing the term "atheist" around and then no one will talk to me. Cry (Apparently it's a bad word these days...)

Mmmmkay...

Back to cheap rubber talk...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:10pm

Helloween then, I guess! Wink

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:12pm
Why does it have to be the backhand rubber that's the cheap one? Why not the FH one? I think for most of us, our backhands are more sensitive to the rubber we're using and need more "help" from the rubber to produce spin and speed from our strokes.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:21pm

Helloween then, I guess! Wink

Oooooo...LOL You got me Jim!

Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Why does it have to be the backhand rubber that's the cheap one? Why not the FH one? I think for most of us, our backhands are more sensitive to the rubber we're using and need more "help" from the rubber to produce spin and speed from our strokes.

My short pips average about US $11.00 or so a sheet!
Thumbs Up
NEXY Lissom st 85g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:23pm

My current forehand rubber costs $14. I want them both to be inexpensive. As stated previously, once I found I could get a "cheap" rubber on my forehand that played as well (if not, better) than any rubber I've purchaesd, I decided I could do the same with my backhand. Hence, the search and this thread.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

I prefer "irreligious". Wink But you outed me, Heim! People are going to start throwing the term "atheist" around and then no one will talk to me. Cry (Apparently it's a bad word these days...)

Mmmmkay...

Au contraire mon frere... Science is your religion?

I respect all reasonable mens "choice"...

you too.

(Heim runs out of room)
NEXY Lissom st 85g
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:30pm
Sounds like you have plenty to try. One that was not mentioned specifically which I can recommend is Palio HK1997 Biotech, 36-38 degrees.Completely non tacky. Can be had on ebay for around $9. Very nice rubber on both wings, 39-41 for FH. I also use Mark V which has awesome control for short game and good enough for looping in max. The HK1997 has a bit more power for looping though but decent control for short game.
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:32pm

My current forehand rubber costs $14. I want them both to be inexpensive. As stated previously, once I found I could get a "cheap" rubber on my forehand that played as well (if not, better) than any rubber I've purchaesd, I decided I could do the same with my backhand. Hence, the search and this thread.

Yes! Power to you my friend. As I stated in my signature - people should really stop using expensive rubbers except if you are in the first few hundred of world ranklist. If your rating is below 2500 then nowadays there is always a way less expensive rubber that will play for you as well as the one for which you just paid 3 times more. Perhaps a bit differently... but not worse.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:34pm

Mmmmkay...

Au contraire mon frere... Science is your religion?

I respect all reasonable mens "choice"...

you too.

(Heim runs out of room)

We will continue this via PM... or, more likely, at our other place of discussion. Thumbs Up

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by riker71 riker71 wrote:

Sounds like you have plenty to try. One that was not mentioned specifically which I can recommend is Palio HK1997 Biotech, 36-38 degrees.Completely non tacky. Can be had on ebay for around $9. Very nice rubber on both wings, 39-41 for FH. I also use Mark V which has awesome control for short game and good enough for looping in max. The HK1997 has a bit more power for looping though but decent control for short game.

You are a member of Palio club, too? HK are indeed very good rubbers, especially for the price!

Do they make them even harder sponged than 39-41? also it seems that is the regular DHS scale of hardness, is it? ... if yes, then why are they using a different scale for their tensors, I wonder? like 47.5 for PME is approx. 39 on DHS scale.

ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:38pm

To some: thanks for your suggestions thus far. Anyone have any experience with the pretuned Gambler Six Shooter? I'm worried that Outlaw might be a bit fast for me...

To others: I'm not looking to extensively define and then possibly debate what I mean by BH rubber. The fact is, many, many people on this forum make distinctions between BH and FH rubbers and therefore know what I mean. If you don't then feel free not to respond... Or, just offer a suggestion for an inexpensive, non-tacky rubber.

Thanks.

SSPT felt quite dead to me on my BH when i tried it. Outlaw I find isn't uncontrollably fast, but it really doesn't last me long, only about 1-1.5 months usage, so in the long run, I don't think it's any cheaper than if I were to invest in more expensive rubber than can last a few months at a time.
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

From my understanding, the Chinese traditionally want harder/faster rubber+sponge on FH to avoid "bottoming out" too soon when attacking, because their FH stroke is much bigger than their BH stroke... So there is actually something to "best fh or bh rubber" discussions.  Smile
 Yes, but looking at the topic starter post, there is no indication that Anton is looking to emulate the Chinese?
The Older I get, The better I was.
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 6:47pm

Yes, but looking at the topic starter post, there is no indication that Anton is looking to emulate the Chinese?

But knowing Anton from his past history of posting you can tell he wants to emulate the Chinese.  He is after all using traditional chinese rubber on fh too.  A small bh (relative to his bh) would complement his game best to allow maximum use of his fh.  He already mentioned he is fh dominant player so its safe to assume what roundrobin said is correct. Smile
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 7:31pm
Wow you have more luck than me in your search for suggestions for bh rubbers Clap

why dont you try the dipper 3 or memo 2 from DHS.  Those are the two rubbers i considered before but for now i will be trying out the Sriver G3 i bought from you (it arrived today btw)
Maybe you can try it then tell me how it goesLOL

I wish i have as much luck as you Anton as i am in search for my FH rubber
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

Wow you have more luck than me in your search for suggestions for bh rubbers Clap

why dont you try the dipper 3 or memo 2 from DHS.  Those are the two rubbers i considered before but for now i will be trying out the Sriver G3 i bought from you (it arrived today btw)

I have a sheet of Memo 3 on the way. I didn't pick up the Memo 2 because I read that it's quite heavy. I heard 3 is lighter (but that could be incorrect; we'll see). Dipper 3 may be a possibility but since it's $20 instead of $14 it'll have to wait. LOL

I will keep you updated. I hope you enjoy that Sriver G3. I liked it.

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2010 at 11:22pm

Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

I have a sheet of Memo 3 on the way. I didn't pick up the Memo 2 because I read that it's quite heavy. I heard 3 is lighter (but that could be incorrect; we'll see). Dipper 3 may be a possibility but since it's $20 instead of $14 it'll have to wait. LOL

I will keep you updated. I hope you enjoy that Sriver G3. I liked it.

Review it pleeeaasseee! M3 is very interesting to me!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

Review it pleeeaasseee! M3 is very interesting to me!

Will do. Smile

It may be a couple weeks though.

tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 3:04am
my red memo3 weighted 52grams cut!
Anyway it sucked, I threw it out of the window. However I would probably buy memo1 again (black)
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2010 at 7:44pm
The Red Diamond on my BH was surprisingly awesome. I tried it today. I was worried about it being tacky but I had no problems receiving serves. Indeed, the hardness of the sponge made my service reception even better in that I didn't pop up as many balls. It's really easy to keep the ball low with it.

I'm going to reserve ultimate judgment, of course, until I've had some more time with it... and until after I've tried a few more of the rubbers I've selected. However, this shows much, much more promise than I anticipated.

And still, the Black Power is a freaking beast. I think it should be called Black Magic, in that so many of my shots look like they're going long only to arc severely downward and land on the edge of the table. My forehand is dangerous with it (if you don't mind a little self-aggrandizing Wink). No durability issues yet and no decrease in performance... at least, not after 15 or so hours. Beer

I'm loving these rubbers. Together, they both cost $28. Thumbs Up

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 2:29am
I thought you would like it, there's no need to be scared of tacky rubbers on your BH, still much better control than a grippy rubber
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 2:35am
i agree; i had 999t 2.0 *sponge???) on fh for a while and i say one can develop a strong bh loop with such a rubber --> return of serves depending on the topsheet only were just fine. I could come back to it.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 2:41am
Originally posted by tomas.gt tomas.gt wrote:

my red memo3 weighted 52grams cut!
Anyway it sucked, I threw it out of the window. However I would probably buy memo1 again (black)

I put M3 on YEO and this was a most fantastic setup.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2010 at 2:42am
Anton, how hard is BP (overall) vs the Acuda S1 you had?

Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic