Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tenergy 05, lets cut the crap...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2010 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

You are so rightchess - A million topics on Tenergy, I join 3 or 4 of them cuase I dont believe the crap, and you claim APW46, started it because of me.

If APW46 loves his tenergy good luck, I'm happy for him, if it makes him play better and beat players he couldn't before, then again I'm even more happy for him. and he did state that its his opinion, But its not the Rubber for all, and I must say to me its a step backwards in the evolution of rubbers for the Average player - and a big rip off at that tooooooo. So who gives a Sh*t, I do.

I had nobody in mind when I started this thread, just the issue that Butterfly can afford to hold a huge number of players over a barrel because there really is no rubber that plays the same way as Tenergy, I'm not saying its better than anything else, but for producing a tremedus amount of spin from a relatively slow arm it is, it also has the property similar to speedglue of 'holding' an incoming fast ball, even if flat punched, which stands it out above its competitors for me. Its downside takes some getting used to however, the difficulty of controlling incoming loop close to the table. No rubber has ever 'made me play better' I just like to use what suits my game, if anything 99% of enforced equipment changes make me play worse, never better, I need time to adjust.
I have yet to try a rubber, boosted or not, that replaces the use of speedglue, Tenergy 05 is the closest at about 60% of speedglue performance, and Boosters don't replace Sp/glue they are a poor second, otherwise players would have dropped VOC's long ago in favour of hydrocarbons.

Edited by APW46 - 08/14/2010 at 12:29pm
The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

sebas-aguirre View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebas-aguirre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2010 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I've used sp/glue for 25 yrs, and I don't care what anyone says, this rubber is the nearest to playing with sp/glue I've used, and I've tried many rubbers. This is why and only why butterfly can put the price up, If the product was sh*t, no-one would buy it, and I cannot stand for these vouches that other rubbers from other manufacturers are as good, they are NOT, they might be for other players, but NOT for me. Tenergy is the ONLY rubber on the market at this time that I can possibly play with. I can't exept however the price rise, so I'm gonna struggle this next season, because I will not pay the inflated prices. What I really don't wish to hear is that Hexter/ Roxon etc are the same as Tenergy, THEY ARE NOT, where Tenergy gains over them is in Re-loop, tenergy is superb at this, even better than sp/glue IMO, more consistent, and a real feeling of 'borrowing the power' all other new rubbers I've used have been either too soft, or uncontrollable, in the case of Haifu whale, too erratic with an unstable raquet/ball contact.

"If the product was sh*t, no-one would buy it"...
then please explain why do people buy junk food, go to the movies to see crap quality films, consume crap quality music, etcetera.
it's all about the marketing, not the real quality...
Personally for backhand I felt tenergy 64 was crap, I really like more hexer.
For forehand I used tenergy 05 once but coming from bwII I felt I needed something more extremely aggressive and that would do whatever I want it to do.
I can't say that haifu felt erratic, I loved it for long time.... only bad thing was the weight.
I don't think there's one best rubber or one truth, everyone chooses what suits him/her best Smile
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2010 at 10:39pm
People! Let cut the crap about T05. There is no need to argue about T05. Even I like T05, but I am sick to see all the post arguing about T05. If you like T05 and you are willing to pay for it, then just do it. Otherwise, look for other alternative. PERIOD!
Let stop arguing OuchOuch
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2010 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

People! Let cut the crap about T05. There is no need to argue about T05. Even I like T05, but I am sick to see all the post arguing about T05. If you like T05 and you are willing to pay for it, then just do it. Otherwise, look for other alternative. PERIOD!
Let stop arguing OuchOuch

+ 1,000,000,000

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2010 at 11:04pm
+1,000,000,000,000
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
forthefun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forthefun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2010 at 11:19pm
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,00<
Simple is wonderful
If you do not want to know what is inside do not look.
No different than a strip bar, if it offends you do not go in but do not judge if you have not gone in.
I will continue to buy Tenergy because I am worth it and I feel that it improves my game.
It is an asset.
If this is worth 3 points in a game then to me it is worth every penny.
Photino
FH--Tenergy-05 FX
BH--Tenergy-05 FX

Back up

Photino
FH--Tenergy-05 FX
BH--Tenergy-05 FX

Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2010 at 11:37pm
+100000000
Definitely, the best rubber I've ever tried out.
Blade: Timo Boll ALC 92 g.
Forehand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (black)
Backhand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (red).
Perfect loops
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 12:20am

To all,

Today during our LATTA Open RR Tourney I talked to one of our top players about why top Chinese men do not use Japanese or European rubbers on their forehand, and whether they can play with Tenergy if forced... He said of course they could play with any Japanese or European rubber if they choose to, but there are two aspects that make them don't want to:  1.  All top non-Chinese rubbers, including T05, bottom out too early when used on the FH by the best Chinese male players.  They feel they need even harder sponge to efficiently transfer maximum power to their FH rips.  2.  From their extensive experiments and practical experiences, a hard rubber like Hurricane III will consistently produce a lower bounce rip than Japanese or European rubbers, a crucial advantage to prevent their attacks from being counterlooped/counterpunched on the table by their European rivals.  This lower bounce is what force their opponents off the table and be on the defensive.  According to him, the Chinese are actually happy that Europeans and other Asian countries still refuse to accept this reality by stubbornly clinging to what worked for them in the 90s... This is essentially what he said to me today, and I have little need to doubt him.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 12:32am
^I can agree full heartedly about that 2nd part.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

roundrobbin,You are correct, the 2600 level chinese provincial team player I play with about twice a week (and who I sponsored for a green card) can play about any style at a surprisingly high level, shakehand penhold, pips, Tenergy, even long pips.  I am amazed by it.  But she is not 2600 with all of those blades and grips.  Put her in a tournament with Tenergy against other good players and she will be unhappy.  And that is the point.  What is someone comfortable with?   The 2550 Yugoslavian player I sometimes get to play with can crush me with a sheet of Hurricane on his forehand.  Put him in a tournament where he is playing for money and he will not be happy.  He likes Tenergy 64 and was pretty frustrated after the glue ban until he started using it.  He's not going to be happy paying 75 bucks for a sheet of it. 

how do you sponsor a table tennis player? do you own a table tennis club?
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 2:36am
I doubt that any body that just owns a TT club can sponsor a good TT player.  It would take and wealthy individual, company or a forum to contribute to a particular player.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 9:02am
ppeperlocker, About five of us who are directors of a club helped this player get an O-1 visa, which is great because it opens a pretty reliable route to a green card, which she has now applied for.  But it is a lot of work to provide the necessary documentation.  In this case, "sponsor" basically means paid the lawyer and solicited all of the letters and compiled vast amounts of other documentation that we needed and put together a pretty large package needed to convince immigration agency.  Sponsor is perhaps not the right word (it's not like the procedure you use to get permanent residency for a member of your immediate family) but anyway, that's what we did.

roundrobbin says the good Chinese pro players at his could play with tenergy.  Of course they could.  They're really good players.   They don't want to.  As he said.  Because they don't like it.  I think he is correct that these players get a bouncier and spinnier rip with their H3.  He should also ask them what they used five years ago. Of eight years ago, when they first got on their provincial teams.  I am betting all of them used harder and tackier Chinese rubbers through their formative years and glued them like crazy up until two years ago.  I bet none of them were gluing Sriver or Bryce.  During this time they developed their strokes, with straighter arms, more open racket faces, etc.  It is the reason why they are able to do use that stuff now.  I once gave a former Chinese provinical player who is a student at my university one of my blades with Tenergy on it to hit with.  He had never tried it.  His first few shots practically hit the wall.  Needless to say, he didn't like it, couldn't understand how anyone could play with it.  

Of course, this does not apply to all Chinese.  Current world number 1 in women uses T64 she gets hers for free.

In any case, roundrobbin's argument--I think--is that because good Chinese players at LATTC can use H3 this means everyone else should be able to just switch to hard tacky chinese rubbers and play even better than we do with T05.  This is not a good argument.  It would require complete reforming of strokes. Mavbe it's possible, but it's not going to be something many people have the patience to do.    

petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 11:52am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

To all,

Today during our LATTA Open RR Tourney I talked to one of our top players about why top Chinese men do not use Japanese or European rubbers on their forehand, and whether they can play with Tenergy if forced... He said of course they could play with any Japanese or European rubber if they choose to, but there are two aspects that make them don't want to:  1.  All top non-Chinese rubbers, including T05, bottom out too early when used on the FH by the best Chinese male players.  They feel they need even harder sponge to efficiently transfer maximum power to their FH rips.  2.  From their extensive experiments and practical experiences, a hard rubber like Hurricane III will consistently produce a lower bounce rip than Japanese or European rubbers, a crucial advantage to prevent their attacks from being counterlooped/counterpunched on the table by their European rivals.  This lower bounce is what force their opponents off the table and be on the defensive.  According to him, the Chinese are actually happy that Europeans and other Asian countries still refuse to accept this reality by stubbornly clinging to what worked for them in the 90s... This is essentially what he said to me today, and I have little need to doubt him.
I agree 100%
Petermoo
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 12:38pm
Wow, another tread on Tenergy Guess BTY don't need to pay the marketing department as much, since we are doing the marketing for them

With that said, I believe the hype with Tenergy begun purely because it was a BTY product. If Tenergy was labelled 729 Topspin instead, there wouldn't be any hype around it and very few players here would use it. However, with Tenergy, BTY actually manage to create a product that serves certain styles very well and to my knowledge, there isn't any other rubber out there that plays like Tenergy. I haven't tried them all, but I have tried Hexer and Barracuda amongst the latest rubbers and a couple of other Tensors before that. None of them come even close to Tenergy. Tenergy truly is of a different mold and although it might not be the best rubber for every one, there isn't any cheaper options for those who likes the way Tenergy plays. Even though I'm pretty low level, I feel that Tenergy brings out the best of my game and it actually forces me to play active, unlike Tensors where I could play more passive and still get rewarded with a good shot.
The holy grail
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Wow, another tread on Tenergy Guess BTY don't need to pay the marketing department as much, since we are doing the marketing for them

With that said, I believe the hype with Tenergy begun purely because it was a BTY product. If Tenergy was labelled 729 Topspin instead, there wouldn't be any hype around it and very few players here would use it.

That is largely true.  Of course  if it really was a 729 product it would never be the same thing each time you bought it.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 1:47pm

ppeperlocker, About five of us who are directors of a club helped this player get an O-1 visa, which is great because it opens a pretty reliable route to a green card, which she has now applied for.  But it is a lot of work to provide the necessary documentation.  In this case, "sponsor" basically means paid the lawyer and solicited all of the letters and compiled vast amounts of other documentation that we needed and put together a pretty large package needed to convince immigration agency.  Sponsor is perhaps not the right word (it's not like the procedure you use to get permanent residency for a member of your immediate family) but anyway, that's what we did.

roundrobbin says the good Chinese pro players at his could play with tenergy.  Of course they could.  They're really good players.   They don't want to.  As he said.  Because they don't like it.  I think he is correct that these players get a bouncier and spinnier rip with their H3.  He should also ask them what they used five years ago. Of eight years ago, when they first got on their provincial teams.  I am betting all of them used harder and tackier Chinese rubbers through their formative years and glued them like crazy up until two years ago.  I bet none of them were gluing Sriver or Bryce.  During this time they developed their strokes, with straighter arms, more open racket faces, etc.  It is the reason why they are able to do use that stuff now.  I once gave a former Chinese provinical player who is a student at my university one of my blades with Tenergy on it to hit with.  He had never tried it.  His first few shots practically hit the wall.  Needless to say, he didn't like it, couldn't understand how anyone could play with it.  

Of course, this does not apply to all Chinese.  Current world number 1 in women uses T64 she gets hers for free.

In any case, roundrobbin's argument--I think--is that because good Chinese players at LATTC can use H3 this means everyone else should be able to just switch to hard tacky chinese rubbers and play even better than we do with T05.  This is not a good argument.  It would require complete reforming of strokes. Mavbe it's possible, but it's not going to be something many people have the patience to do.    

Baal:

I have respectfully asked you to stop misspelling my screen name "roundrobin" at the OOAK forum, but you still do it here repeatedly...  Are you mocking me?

From where in my previous post I said "everyone" should be able to switch to hard Chinese rubbers?  It's pretty obvious I was referring to the world's best players only. 
And what has the fact that the Chinese No. 1 woman "gets her T64" for free have to do with with her ability to use it?  Also, I never said the top Chinese can use Tenergy, but they do not like it.  It's pretty clear from my post that the Chinese said they could use it, but it does not have the low-bouncing advantage of hard Chinese rubbers like H3.  Please re-read my post, thanks.

William

Edited by roundrobin - 08/15/2010 at 5:47pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 6:28pm
William, sorry, no misrepect intended, just typing fast, hadn't even noticed that I had misspelled.  A  
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 6:48pm

William, sorry, no misrepect intended, just typing fast, hadn't even noticed that I had misspelled.  A  

No problem Baal, mistakes do happen... I know you are a real gentleman.  Cherry Zhao told me so. 

Smile
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 6:48pm

Hey Everyone new to the forum and thought I'd pop my bit in.

I think maybe it's horses for courses. IF you play hard sponge or softer sponge tacky rubber or rubber with grip and get an advantage at the level you play at then it's good. Having just switched to tenergy a while back it does a lot of things well which suits the level I play at a bit better. basically more plus than minus.  It's good for me full stop.  World leading players will always like hard sponge, Some of the top Chinese players play really really hard sponge pretuned to get the extra kick. At most of our levels it's what works and at the moment what works is tenergy ....until something else comes along that's better for that level and styles. The price increase....Yep that's crap! but what is another option?

Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 7:09pm

tenergy is first choice of the ambitious beginners. good players will do well with many other rubbers.

Single Ply Hinoki club
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 7:14pm

Well... but well is not always good enough when you need that extra advantage or the next level. When everyone was glueing is wasn't so much of a problem but now we can't that extra help sure comes in handy sometimes.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 9:14pm

Fortunately, people who are still upset about the introduction of sponge into table tennis have passed away or don't use the internet.  Or we would still be hearing about it.
LOL
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2010 at 9:44pm
so far there is no rubber that plays like Tenergy and all the companies know them too
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic