FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What is good blade for short game?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is good blade for short game?
    Posted: 09/24/2010 at 8:16am
My brother asks me for a blade suggestion.  He plays close to the table, and mostly push, and block (very good blocker BTW), and smash any loose high ball, very seldom loop although he's quite good at it.  I think Stiga Clipper CR maybe good for him, and suggested so, but I am not too sure (not my game).  If you play similar style, and have found your favorite blade, please suggest.  Thanks,

Edited by mhnh007 - 09/24/2010 at 8:29am
Sponsored Links

karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 10:38am
Look for a stiff blade, speed depending on his level. Clipper CR seems like a valid choice, altough it's quite fast for close to the table play. A slower option would be the Samsonov Alpha which is soft and stiff, it's great for blocking, but it might not have enough finishing power. I've tried it one session, but for me it was too slow, because i am used to arylate carbon blades. Good luck with your search.
* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
shakepender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakepender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 10:49am
I probably play like mhnh007's bro and I have been intrigued by blades classified as 'soft & stiff'. Are they suitable for close to the table play/short game cos they're stiff for smashing/hitting and yet soft for pushing & blocking?

What other blades can be classified as soft & stiff? p700, septear... ???
Viscaria : Omg IV Pro / Omg IV Euro

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 11:03am
With good practice and skill any blade really.
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 11:09am
Originally posted by bull_harrier bull_harrier wrote:

With good practice and skill any blade really.

It's true and don't forget that rubbers selection is big part of it too.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 11:12am
BTY Primorac, Donic Epox Control, are excellent choices. They both have adequate stiffness and are great for blocking, pushing and finishing the point. Also Yasaka Sweden Classic  has more flex but tons of control. Clipper wood is good with thinner sponge for that style but still pretty fast. Also Avalox 555 with regular Friendship 729 works great.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 11:18am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

My brother asks me for a blade suggestion.  He plays close to the table, and mostly push, and block (very good blocker BTW), and smash any loose high ball, very seldom loop although he's quite good at it.

We have two players US1600-1700 who play this EXACT style - and they can both give loopers up to about US1800 fits. They both use the Stiga Super Carbon.

The Super Carbon is a great blade for this style because of the feel for pushing (feels woody, like an innerforce). At the same time the larger carbon sweet spot and carbon stiffness when blocking makes blocks, counters and smashes both more powerful and more accurate. The blade can be looped with, in true Stiga Wood form,

The nice thing about the blade is that it pairs really well with a variety of rubbers ranging form classic chinese, to soft sponged german to classic japanese rubbers. Whether you use something like 999 or even Hammond Pro Alpha, the balance of power and control is superb.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
wyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 11:20am
Balsa Carbon seems to be a good option too.. Slow on slow shots, very fast in fast shots :-)
Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 11:26am
Originally posted by ThaiLe ThaiLe wrote:

[QUOTE=bull_harrier]With good practice and skill any blade really.
It's true and don't forget that rubbers selection is big part of it too.[/QUOTEIN

yes thanks for pointing that out. By the way nice picture
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 11:27am
Originally posted by wyatt wyatt wrote:

Balsa Carbon seems to be a good option too.. Slow on slow shots, very fast in fast shots :-)

Yep ^ also the very light weight helps a lot when having to find balls at the speed of light

Edited by nicefrog - 09/24/2010 at 11:28am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

Yep ^ also the very light weight helps a lot when having to find balls at the speed of light

Yeah, I think light weight is also the key, and that is why I hesitate to suggest the Clipper CR, as I have one, and mine weight ~92g.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

The Super Carbon is a great blade for this style because of the feel for pushing (feels woody, like an innerforce). At the same time the larger carbon sweet spot and carbon stiffness when blocking makes blocks, counters and smashes both more powerful and more accurate. The blade can be looped with, in true Stiga Wood form,

The nice thing about the blade is that it pairs really well with a variety of rubbers ranging form classic chinese, to soft sponged german to classic japanese rubbers. Whether you use something like 999 or even Hammond Pro Alpha, the balance of power and control is superb.

I have not played with this blade yet myself, but it sound like a good fit.  Thanks,
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 12:26pm
Soft and stiff ... hmm... let me think... Are You KIDDING? soft and stiff means Hinoki 1-ply! Duh...

So if he can spare $150 for a Darker Taipan or Speed 90/70 - that's the way to go. Or if $115 is more to his liking then go with BBC 9-10-9. And finally, CTTA Carbon Strike, Gambler Black Diamond, Dynasty Hinoki Carbon are good cheaper choices from Zeropong. Also Galaxy T-11.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 12:29pm
Donic black devil, Butterfly balsa carbo, or one of the TSP 5.5/6.5 all would be good if he goes the balsa path. The black devil is pretty fast but lots of good players use it
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 1:10pm
What about the light rubbers for the light paddle?  It does no good to weigh down a light paddle with heavy rubber because of overall weight and balance.   I too have the same concerns about paddle speed and weight.  I am looking at Donic's Big Slam only because it is little according to the data base
but I was wondering if there are other light rubbers that are still pretty good.   The data base looks like it hasn't been upgraded in a while.  I find paddles that weight 180 grams hurt my shoulder after looping backing back chops for an hour.  After a while I just can't do it.   Fortunately the chopper tires out too. Still it seems that it TT is getting to be more of an endurance sport and saving weight counts. 

Edited by pnachtwey - 09/24/2010 at 1:11pm
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 5:07pm
Butterfly Gergely Carbon or Juic Nebula.
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 10:45pm
JUIC Stellan Bengtsson Alpha!  Great for blocking.  Slow enough for the short game.  Huge sweet spot.
Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2010 at 11:05pm
I play a very similar style and would like to suggest the Korbel SK7.  Very solid all-wood  7-ply blade that shines in close to the table play with enough speed for mid-distance also.  I pair it up with hard chinese rubber on FH and soft jap rubber on BH which helps with my blocking/counterhitting/hitting/smashing game.  Cool thing is you can dress this blade up to suit your level with the rubbers you chose.  It is stiff and solid but soft enough to allow some flex on loops.  Played with it for awhile.  Tried to change but decided to stay and change my rubbers instead leading to >>> best decision ever! (fixed problems and saved me $$)  Again you can suit it to your style.  You can see this blade is being used by a few female professional players which most of their games is around the short game.  Good luck to your search!
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2010 at 12:26am

We have two players US1600-1700 who play this EXACT style - and they can both give loopers up to about US1800 fits. They both use the Stiga Super Carbon.

[/QUOTE] is that the 5-ply or 7-ply version?i have tried the 5-ply and that was so easy to play with(sorry op for interupt to topic)
the samsanov alpha is good for controlled blocking and touch/push shots btw but i prefer a little more flex for topspin.

Edited by firetack - 09/25/2010 at 12:31am
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic