FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

what is boosting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is boosting?
    Posted: 09/27/2010 at 5:06pm
I keep hearing people talk about boosters or boosting their rubbers, what exactly is boosting?  i thought boosting is just like speed glue, with the added characteristics.  Am I wrong?  But doesn't the new glue already give that "speed glue" effect?  I also read that people are using lamp oil and paraffin oil (whatever the latter one is) for boosting.  What do these two oils do?  and how are they applied?  On rubber's surface or mix in with glue?  

I feel like ever since the glue ban by the ITTF, people have gone above and beyond to invent innovative uses of "uncommon" stuff to retain the speed glue effects. 

Any clarifications would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 5:26pm
Boosting involved "speed glue" which was basically rubber cement with a bunch of different solvents in it. Solvents or VOCs actually caused the effect so a few brands made "boosters" which where just the solvent with no glue. You would use it after you had first glued the rubber so that when you applied it it would expand the sponge and glue already on the rubber. You would have to reapply the booster every day you played to keep getting the effect. Boosters were great because adding more speed glue made your setup heavier and heavier changing the way the blade played. Today "boosting" just applies to doing something illegal to make your setup behave like it was speed glued - which could mean using baby oil or something else to get the effect.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 6:40pm
boosting is for people who can't afford Tensor rubbers and want to play their 5 year old Hurricane 3 like Tensor rubbers. Is that clear enough? :)

So the bottom line is, liulin04 you don't need boosting because you are using tensor rubbers already.
Yasaka Extra
FH: DHS Neo Skyline 2
BH: Donic Acuda S2 2.0mm
USATT:1876
My Feedback!

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2010 at 7:15pm
you're right ckm, even without boosting, I could still beat you easily.  LOL!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2010 at 12:42am
Boosting some rubbers is asking for trouble. Boosting some tensors can utterly ruin the playing character of the sheet.Be careful what you wish for. Some players are never satisfied with the standard offering from the manufacturer and think they can make it better. Agree some can be boosted but do your research first.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

EpiCc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EpiCc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 2:42pm
Clapcockyyy much
Penhold
Blade: Cypress-Alpha
Fh: Bryce speed Fx 2.1mm
Bh:Blank
hit:soft
EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 4:56pm

Is like a energy drink to your rubber, and enhance its performance in a given span of time and fades away. heheheheh

Blade: Butterfly Photino and Keyshot light
FH: DONIC Baracuda / Tenergy 64 and 05
BH: 802-40/1 and Raystorm
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
BH Kokutaku 110 Medium Pip
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2011 at 9:40pm
Why res this long dead and redundant thread?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
topsheet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topsheet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2011 at 9:40am
NOt exactly sir, I know a lot of people that only want some more speed on their carbon BTY blades with tenergys so...
EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2011 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Why res this long dead and redundant thread?

I really don't know why people is going back to boosting hehehe
Blade: Butterfly Photino and Keyshot light
FH: DONIC Baracuda / Tenergy 64 and 05
BH: 802-40/1 and Raystorm
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
BH Kokutaku 110 Medium Pip
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic