Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TBS vs YEO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TBS vs YEO
    Posted: 10/07/2010 at 4:23am
Hi, could someone who has played with both blades give a short comparision between the two?

I'm thinking of switching to YEO to get more feedback and keep about the same speed. Also i would like a bit higher throw. Are these assumptions correct? Also which rubbers would go well with YEO, harder, softer? I prefer to stick with jap/euro rubbers. All information on this blade is very welcome.
* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
Sponsored Links

speed29 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 4:50am
Yes you'll have more feedback.
The throw is not higer I think.
I find yeo a bit slower than tbs.
I tried it with bosst tx : horrible.
With rakza 7 2mm : very nice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 6:21am
Thanks, I don't mind abit slower, more feedback is good. I assumed the throw would be higher because it's more flexible than TBS, too bad this isn't the case. Why didn't you like it with boost TX? Also wondering why most people prefer harder rubbers on the YEO. Are soft rubbers no good for it?
* Vega Pro / Europe
speed29 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 6:33am
I think boost tx needs a less flexible blade, like tbs for example. It is better but I can't explain why, I'm not an expert.
The throw of yeo is not very high in my opinion. I'd say medium.
It is a very good blade and I think it can suit your rubbers.
flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 6:58am
I have a yeo 89 gr and it's way faster than a tbs with 87 gr ...it's just the way I feel. Tbs it's a more controllable blade and yeo has more power...
Viscaria, FL

T05 hard, 2,1 mm, black, fh
T05 hard, 2,1 mm, red, bh.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 7:36am
Hmm contradicting opinions Confused Maybe it's the weight difference? For me control is more related to the feedback a blade provides, rather than the speed...

Anyway I'm looking for a blade with good feel / feedback and have decided carbon is not for me. I've tried TBS, Maze and WSC, WSC gives better feedback, but it still hasn't got the woody feel. Also abit slow + low throw for my taste plus I hate the hollow handle. So on my quest for a not too slow 5ply wood which offers good feel with a comfortable handle I stumbled on the YEO. However I don't want anything faster then TBS.

I'd love to hear some more on the YEO, but also info on other blades that match my description would be great. Wink
* Vega Pro / Europe
speed29 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 7:41am
My yeo is 87 grams and my TBS is 93 grams, and is very fast.
kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 7:51am
using exact same rubbers on both blades (Hurricane 3 Neo and T64) YEO was faster and had less control than TBS. My TBS is 90 grams. (YEO was lighter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 8:35am
Originally posted by kyle90 kyle90 wrote:

using exact same rubbers on both blades (Hurricane 3 Neo and T64) YEO was faster and had less control than TBS. My TBS is 90 grams. (YEO was lighter)

Hmm that's too bad... Cry

I'd pick a Korbel if the handle wasn't that slim.. Might just go for primorac or OC...

@edit: Would the Avalox P500 be a another option?

Edited by karabijntje - 10/07/2010 at 9:03am
* Vega Pro / Europe
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 9:16am

Edited by riker71 - 10/08/2010 at 2:59pm
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 9:18am
OC NCT might fit the bill. More flexible than YEO which is quite stiff. Korbel is also quite stiff. Primorac is much slower than the other blades mentioned so OC or OC NCT might suit you better. There are plenty of all wood off blades out there to choose from.
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 9:54am
I understand you very well...a while ago I was searching for the same thing. A safe choise IMHO it's korbel, a better options it's  nittaku acoustic but at max 85-86 gr. Also a good choise could be kokutaku staysher...superb control, excellent topspin game, match well with fast and powerfull rubbers. Good Luck!
Viscaria, FL

T05 hard, 2,1 mm, black, fh
T05 hard, 2,1 mm, red, bh.
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 10:00am
Ok... I am going to stick to the Topic.

TBS - ALC . IMHO, is a med speed blade with excellent control.  It is very versitle and easy to match up with T05, H2 and many other rubbers.  Pricey.

YEO - All wood.  IMHO, is a good blade but tad slower than TBS and control is good.  If the money is the issue, then I would recommend to get a YEO.  I like it a lot. 

If you guys willing to wait. I am getting some ST and FL shakehand YEO, brand new ones in about a week or so. Price around $40~$45 shipped only for US.

Thx

tsanycWink
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2010 at 10:04am
Originally posted by karabijntje karabijntje wrote:

Originally posted by kyle90 kyle90 wrote:

Hmm that's too bad... Cry

I'd pick a Korbel if the handle wasn't that slim.. Might just go for primorac or OC...

@edit: Would the Avalox P500 be a another option?

P500 is very flexible and not very fast at all but it can make a lot of spin, the bad thing about for me is a small handle and wings that come down too far (rub in your hand). The Primorac -off is a much better blade than the Stiga OC in my opinion, the Primorac feels really nice actually, very smooth the OC vibrates it doesn't feel nice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2010 at 10:37am
Hey all, thanks for the replies. YEO might not be what I'm looking for after reading these comments. In fact i did like the feel of primorac, but it must be somewhat faster with a thicker more comfortable handle. After some reading, maybe an OSP Virtuoso would be something I would like, what do you think?

Important to me are: Comfortable (not to thin) FL handle, not head heavy, 5ply wood (no fibers), good feel with some flex and feedback and a higher throw than TBS. Speedwise between primorac and TBS. Or is this too much too ask? Tongue

@edit: Oh yeah and around 85-87 grams Wink

Edited by karabijntje - 10/08/2010 at 10:53am
* Vega Pro / Europe
pongmob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2010 at 3:23pm

Important to me are: Comfortable (not to thin) FL handle, not head heavy, 5ply wood (no fibers), good feel with some flex and feedback and a higher throw than TBS. Speedwise between primorac and TBS. Or is this too much too ask? Tongue

I play a 85g YEO and the above is the perfect description of it. I have the anatomic handle, though, and my frame of reference is the TB ALC, not the TBS, but still: Comfortable, not too thin handle, not head heavy, 5ply, good feel (though fairly stiff, not too much flex), higher throw than ALC, speed between Primorac and ALC. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2010 at 7:27pm
Hi pongmob, thanks for your 1st post Smile welcome! From what I've read YEO should be kinda like that, but the opinions here confuse me. I wonder where the different perceptions are coming from. Is it the rubber combination, weight, difference in flex, koto vs walnut outer ply?

Maybe someone could also compare YEO to OSP Virtuoso? I really like the looks of it and it seems to fit the bill aswell, also alot of trusted members find it a very good blade.
* Vega Pro / Europe
speed29 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2010 at 12:33pm
I'll receive a virtuoso soon.
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2010 at 3:30pm
I haven't tried TBS, but I have YEO and Virtuoso.
From my experience until now most of the wood blades have higher throw than composite.

Soft rubbers on YEO are mushy, although Platin Soft was quite nice on the BH.
Feedback with YEO is very good when you hit hard, it was the short game where I had problems, at controlled shots I couldn't say if the ball will pop up or go into the net, it is unpredictable. If you have an offensive game and force your opponents to go into rallies then is a good weapon. I like to loop with it. Defensive game is not easy and I had problems keeping the ball on the table when the oppponent start smashing. I tried a lighter (77gr) cpen YEO and it was a different blade compared to my 85 gr straight handle YEO, much more controllable.

Virtuoso isn't in the same category with YEO, while YEO is OFF+, Virtuoso is more like ALL+ (OFF- at the most). Virtuoso is better balanced, better short game and is still easy to loop, but don't go too far from the table. The Achile's heel of this blade is the handle. I have a FL handle, but its short and it ends up in my palm which is annoying when I do BH shots. I have big hands and I'd prefer a longer FL handle and cut flat at the end, not rounded (if you read the thread about OSP blade you'll find what I mean). If you have big hands like me and want to buy Virtuoso go for the ST handle.
It's extremely easy to block with it and from a defensive stance I can go offensive by placing the ball very well. When blocking with Virtuoso I feel like the power in the ball is absorbed and it doesn't affect me, but the punch block is not easy to do. 
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2010 at 9:09pm

Hey all, thanks for the replies. YEO might not be what I'm looking for after reading these comments. In fact i did like the feel of primorac, but it must be somewhat faster with a thicker more comfortable handle. After some reading, maybe an OSP Virtuoso would be something I would like, what do you think?

Most blades have a similar size handle to the Primorac -off if not smaller, the handle on the Primorac is pretty good as far as handles go, I'm sure the TBS is smaller. One blade that is well worth thinking about if you want a bigger handle is the Donic Waldner Senso Carbon V1, it's not a fast blade but really if you are putting modern rubber on it, it's more than fast enough. VERY good blade and super comfy handle for the average European man. Great blade, one of the best on the market

Edited by nicefrog - 10/09/2010 at 9:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic