Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

primorac off- Sriver or Flextra?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mr Relaxed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Relaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: primorac off- Sriver or Flextra?
    Posted: 10/21/2010 at 2:14am
Hi after years off I have purchased a table and am looking to get a nice bat/rubber.  I have been reading the forums which have been helpful and I have narrowed my search but need some help.
I always liked butterfly equipment and am keen to stick to this brand.  I am wanting a nice all purpose beginner setup.

I like the look of the Primorac off- blade and am trying to decide between Flextra and Sriver. I prefer a bit more spin than speed so am leaning towards Flextra.  I am not sure what rubber thickness I should be looking at.

I would appreciate your thoughts on these possible combinations. Thanks
Sponsored Links

shihjye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shihjye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 2:25am

I'll let more experienced people handle this, but I would stay away from Flextra. That stuff feels cheap, and it certainly isn't worth what it costs. Sriver is much more respectable.

Stiga Rosewood XO
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 3:43am
Beginner = Sriver or Vari Spin. No doubt.

I switched from using Tenergy 64 and Andro Impuls Speed back to good old Sriver. Just because its so all round and has so much control. U can get enough spin with it ;)
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
friendship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Thomasson Thomasson wrote:

I switched from using Tenergy 64 and Andro Impuls Speed back to good old Sriver. Just because its so all round and has so much control. U can get enough spin with it ;)

no doubt for you Big smile

I believe in flextra more than in sriver, although I never played with it, but it could have something similar with butterfly D13 which was recommended for learning. D13 was nicer ruber than sriver for learning purpose. it also had different speed/spin ratio with less speed yet with same spin as sriver

and flextra is cheaper as well, isn't it?

unglued sriver is not the best rubber for close to the table play

Edited by friendship - 10/21/2010 at 5:05am
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 6:19am
Flextra is a rubber glued on a lot of premade butterfly blades. Carlos Chui for example, or Brian Pace (although I don't remember for sure about Brian Pace blade), all use Flextra, which out of the box comes in 2.1 thickness. Also Senshu and other blades have Flextra on it.

Its not a bad rubber, you can do lots of things with it, but what I didn't like about it - its too bouncy for entry level. Also it is not very durable. I recall the premade blades always tearing piece by piece from edges.

Sriver is considered to be a better standard. Plus there are many versions of Sriver to suit any game. Regular Sriver, El, Fx, etc.

Back to table tennis...
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 6:21am
Originally posted by friendship friendship wrote:

no doubt for you Big smile

I believe in flextra more than in sriver, although I never played with it, but it could have something similar with butterfly D13 which was recommended for learning. D13 was nicer ruber than sriver for learning purpose. it also had different speed/spin ratio with less speed yet with same spin as sriver

and flextra is cheaper as well, isn't it?

unglued sriver is not the best rubber for close to the table play
Let me get this right.

Ur saying Flextra is more like D13, slower then Sriver. But then u say an unglued Sriver is not good for close to table play, because it would be to slow?

Shouldn't he be avoiding Flextra at all cost then, since its even slower??

Sriver is a good allround rubber, even without glueing, get Sriver FX or Sriver EL is still my advice.
cougar3219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cougar3219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 7:42am
Go with Sriver. This rubber is a true classic.
Blade: Timo Boll Spirit (st)

FH Rubber: Donic Baracuda

BH Rubber: Donic Baracuda Big Slam

Blade: Stratus Power Wood (an)

FH Rubber: Donic Baracuda

BH Rubber: Donic Baracuda
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 8:15am

Actually more people prefered mak V than Sriver, becoz of the price also.

While I prefered Sriver than Flextra Thumbs Up

friendship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 10:27am

Let me get this right.

Ur saying Flextra is more like D13, slower then Sriver. But then u say an unglued Sriver is not good for close to table play, because it would be to slow?

Shouldn't he be avoiding Flextra at all cost then, since its even slower??

Sriver is a good allround rubber, even without glueing, get Sriver FX or Sriver EL is still my advice.

not exactly. I suppose flextra might be similar to D13. but the problems why sriver is not best for close to the table play are: 1. not good spin to speed ratio; 2. too low throw (not enough strong arc which is better for close to table play). also, sriver is good for everything but not the best for looping, as it is more difficult to loop and to lift backspin than with some other rubbers. and I believe that flextra is better in aspects I've mentioned (I am not sure about the throw angle)

slowness is not bad for learning, it demands to learn technique properly rather than reliing on speed. speed is added once technique is mastered. only aspect which could really be discussed is that more demanding to use rubber might be better for learning just because it doesn't forgive technical errors, so flawless technique must be adopted. I admit this is strong argument. but I don't see rubber with stronger arcing ability as drawback to learning right technique, to me it is a good way to learn technique of playing close to the table

Edited by friendship - 10/21/2010 at 10:28am
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 10:55am
Defining slow is something he should do himself.

All im saying is Sriver is one of the best if not the best rubbers to learn the game with.
I can give any youngster im training an all+ frame with sriver and make him learn the correct strokes, without them relieing on the "speed" of sriver. If I would give them something slower then Sriver, like Flextra, its pretty hard for them to learn a fast spin. Most beginners are to young to make a full powered shot. I can make them loop with it yes, but it would be simply to slow for killer balls. Why am I still advising Sriver to this guy then, since he should be able to make a full powered shot? He said an ALL-PURPOSE. Sriver is more allround then Flextra and Flextra is simply to slow if you step back from the table. Also moving from Sriver to newer generation rubbers, which he might eventually. Will be a much smaller step, mainly because it has a higher throw and speed then Flextra.
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 10:55am
P.S. I would advise a sponge thickness of 1.7 or 1.9 at most!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 12:50pm
Currently I don't endorse BTY products due to price hikes but I must give my observations between Flextra and Sriver. For a safer game with a bit more spin go with Flextra 1.9. It is nice for pushing, chopping, control with the occassional zinger. Sriver offers more "gears' is faster and with 1.7mm thickness would be perfect for you. If you perform looping shots Sriver is better. Flextra blocks very well and is excellent for service and service return. Good luck on your choice as they would both work well for you.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 1:32pm
I used to play with a Primorac off- with 2 Sriver FX MAX after I changed from my premade bat. Amazing setup, that's why I reccomend it a lot. Lots of control, good spin and speed. What's even more, you get used to the ''touch'' of professional setups from the very begining. That's very important, in my opinion. At least, it helped me a lot.
Blade: Timo Boll ALC 92 g.
Forehand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (black)
Backhand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (red).
Perfect loops
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 1:39pm
One deciding factor is how serious you are going to play.  If you are going to have a coach or have played in a club setting before, and/or are trying to improve then Sriver, 1.9 mm.

If you are just playing for fun at home with friends, choose the Flextra in 1.9 mm, or the Sriver in 1.7 mm.   
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
Mr Relaxed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Relaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 1:57pm
Thanks for all your replies it is always interesting to get peoples point of views.  At the moment Sriver 1.7 seems to be winning the battle to go with the Primorac blade and from reading it seems that that sriver may be a more hard wearing rubber which would be good as I would want to get a bit of use out of it.  Whenever I have played (more at school age years ago) I used a premade setup so I am sure anything would feel like a huge improvement.  Thanks again for all the feedback.  I will keep the post open in case anyone else puts in their thoughts.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2010 at 4:26pm
sriver for fh, flextra for bh.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 7:44pm
Can anyone shed some light on how Palio CJ8000 Two-Wing Looper in 2.2mm for both FH and BH on the Primorac Off- will perform in general and for looping when compared to Donic Desto F3 for both FH and BH on the Viscaria FL or Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1 ST? Thanks.

Between the latter 2 setups, both are great for looping. The Viscaria is a bit faster and the PP has better control for blocking. The DD F3 is a bit too lively for controlled pushing, but generates great spin and a good corking sound on loops.

Edited by racquetsforsale - 01/24/2011 at 7:49pm
Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 8:05pm
Sriver FX with thickness no more than 2.1 for more spin and control Wink
Blade: Timo Boll ZLF ST
My Feedback

myfault View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfault Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 8:28pm
Sriver EL 1.9

Primorac OFF-

FH - Yasaka Rakza7 soft 2.5

BH - Sriver EL 2.1
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 9:21pm
As a forehand rubber, I'd argue that Flextra may not be the best choice. I'd get something like a Chinese rubber since I've had a great experience with them and they are almost totally unmatched in the spin department. They also tend to be quite cheap.

As a backhand rubber, I think Flextra (for me in max thickness since I favor spin and power) would do just fine. It's not so fast that you loose technique, but it's not so slow that you can't get any good shots out of it. It's great for a controlled game on that wing.

I have no experience with Sriver and Flextra is a lot cheaper.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 1:25pm
sriver fx goes well on this blade ,i tried 1.9 on f/h and it looped and pushed really well,i would imagine that el could be even better
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 10:24pm
If you insist on price garunteed rubbers by all means go with Sriver.  If you want a nice bargain that is very similar to Sriver only a tad more adaptable to the 40 mm ball, go with either Andro Impuls Speed, or Andro Revofire.  The Revofire performs a great deal like a Sriver with an ESN sponge under it. 
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
MC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 8:36am
I bought a primorac 2000 and a septear with flextra 1.9 for my sons.  (Senkoh 85 with sriver L/EL 1.9 was way too fast!)   For the BH, the flextra is a great rubber.  Frogger has summed it up nicely.  I find it better for serves as compared to the sriver.  My sons love it for the BH. 

For the FH, it was terrible esp for driving or smashing. (Compared to the senkoh or HH656/H3) The ball would seem to go all over the place.   I thought the blades were too fast so I eventually bought a Donic Applegren V1 with Nittaku arufeel  - a great combination.  I now suspect that the inconsistencies are most likely due the the extra soft rubber.  When driving, the ball would sink into the blade and the limba ply seem to 'bite' the ball for a split second before releasing it.  The ball would then fly either a little long or short.  To land the ball consistently, I had to add topspin to it.  In retrospect, I now realise why my son was trying to flick his wrist when hitting (and looking funny doing that).

Durability: The edges of the flextra have chipped away after 4 months of play - doesn't affect play though.  The srivers look like new.
dyanos View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 10:29am
If you like a bit more spin you could go with Sriver EL or Sriver FX. However normal Sriver can still produce generous amounts of spin. I have owned both of these rubbers and Sriver is much better than Flextra. 
Timo Boll Off-
FH: Sriver L
BH: Sriver L
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2011 at 2:58pm
Sriver FX.

But get the Grubba (not the Pro, too slow or the Carbon, too fast) instead of the Primorac.

The Primorac is a beastly upgrade from a premade.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Blake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 9:17am
Couldn't agree more.

I started with a premade Carlos Chui with flextra and I loved it! But as I graduated from it to Primorac with Sriver I can say firsthand that it lasts wayyyy longer than flextra. I would get Sriver 2.1 maybe on FH and BH to start? 
BTY Primorac
FH: Sriver 1.9
BH: Sriver 1.9
Taming a new beast...
Vega Pro
FH: Rasant Grip Max
BH: Tenzone Ultra SF Max
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2015 at 9:48am

This thread is ancient. Circa 2010. ????

Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic