Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The I love VOC-free water glue club

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The I love VOC-free water glue club
    Posted: 10/29/2010 at 12:50pm
Am I the only member?  I hate rubber cement!

50ml of DoubleFish voc-free glue costs $8, but you use very little volume compared to rubber cement.  That 50ml lasts me about 10 rubbers, gluing both blade and sponge separately.

I don't have any problems with splintering blades when peeling off, but I tend to be careful and never hit table edges.  If you bang up your blade, yeah I can imagine splintering.  Get some durable polyurethane edge tape.

Oh yeah!  No mess too!  Rubber cement = 1 gloppy mess.
And quick dry!  I'm back on the table after 15 mins of water glue drying.  No wait time to de-gas.

Edited by pushchop - 10/29/2010 at 12:52pm
Sponsored Links

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 12:58pm
How about tear mender?
formidableone14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formidableone14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 1:05pm
I have no problems with water-based glues, seems to be a better solution for glueing rubbers at an given time over rubber cement products, after all rubber cement is illegal based upon the VOC policies. Not that Ive EVER seen any test equipment at a match (only elite ones). So if you can get away with breaking the rules then good for you, but as for me, Ill stick with the water-based VOC FREE glues.
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Tenergy 05 FH/Tenergy 80 BH
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 5:01pm
Haifu WSB all the way for me. With the hair dryer (on cold) I am back in business within 5 minutes.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 12:09am

Rubber Cement, but moreso thinner speedglues- are much much much easier to use. You get a more even glue job, a better bond (compared to free chack), and you can glue up and play with them right away, you don't have to wait 15 minutes for the glue to dry and you also don't have to put it under books for a while to make sure your rubber doesn't come off. It takes maybe 2.

You don't need to air out rubber that's glued by rubber cement. At least I never have.

Also, it's 2 bucks a thing. I buy 3 of them and put them in an old speedglue container.

It's illegal to play with a racket that has rubber containing VOC. But you dont use rubber cement as a speedglue- you use it once just like VOC-free glue. By the time you go to use it unless you have JUST glued up, your racket is completely legal.

If it fails, then that will teach you to glue up right before a tournament or racket testing.

Since I'm not an international player, I'll go ahead and spend a fraction of the money for a better result.

Edited by beeray1 - 10/30/2010 at 12:14am
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 1:22am
It seems to take 3 days for rubber cement to dry out enough to be considered voc free, but if you glue the rubbers on a week before then it seems ok, just don't keep the blade in the room you spend most of your time in :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic