Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tacky Rubber Loop Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sahunhong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahunhong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tacky Rubber Loop Advice
    Posted: 11/12/2010 at 11:48pm
Hi.!!

As a player without a coach, I ask here for technique advice. I'll try to get some videos later, but right now i made some MSPaints.

First, my Equipment:
Galaxy M6 (7-ply wood)
FH Globe 999 with Quattro 42* 2.2
RPB Inspirit Quattro UL 40* 2.0

My first question is shown in the picture below. This loop i consider to be a spinny loop I can make while still having decent speed. It's mainly a counterlooping technique I think, but I love the feel of this shot because the slight wait after the ball's highest point gives the feeling that the ball "digs into" the sponge/blade. Is this a brush loop? And is there a way I can use this shot against non-topspin ball as well? Right now if i try this against no-spin, the ball will go into the net.

Second question is the pic below.

Is this a proper technique for close to table killshot (against slight backspin or no spin)? This is what i'm using now, and i have about 80% success on killshots.

Thanks so much. Looking forward to the responses.

Edited by sahunhong - 11/13/2010 at 10:42pm
Sponsored Links

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2010 at 12:18am
from what i know: brush looping is when you use the topsheet mainly more than sponge.

as for your looping questions, it seems more like a powerloop to me.  

Your presentation of how you strike the ball seems similar to mine. I am more of a hitter though than a looper so hopefully you will get more insight from a looper's point of view
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
sahunhong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahunhong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2010 at 10:43pm
Thanks, bump
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2010 at 10:56pm
The second diagram looks almost like you are doing an opening loop or looping a chopped ball.  I would hit it earlier at the peak and have the paddle close a lot more but I don't know the scale or the height of the net.
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 6:41am
Your first diagram shows looping against strong topspin, it is advised to loop this way from all distances from the table (even over the table) (against strong topspin that is).  Yes, it is a brush loop. No - it doesn't work good against no-spin (especially slow).  The second one looks like a loop-drive, you're using it if you face anything but strong topspin (again - no matter what distance from the table). In this stroke you’re using your legs, waist and arm for forward momentum, while your forearm (bent your elbow) and wrist gives you a desired topspin - you adjust upward wrist movement according to the exact spin of the ball. These are two different strokes which you have to chose from according to the situation (if you're far from the table you can expect that the ball has already lost most of its momentum (both speed and spin) and in most occasions your best bet is choosing the second stroke).
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 7:58pm
The strokes you use in the two diagrams look correct to me. My understanding of brush looping is when you close the angle of the racket as much as possible and swing along the same direction as the racket face, which is the way to maximize topspin. The opposite is hitting through the ball. The more you hit through, the less you are brushing.
Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 9:24pm
the first diagram is right as other people said....against STRONG topspin. with slight topspin or no spin at all. the contact point is closer to the 1 or 2 o'clock position on the ball with the same swing and follow through as the first diagram.

the bottom diagram, i will have to disagree with. the swing against underspin is a little different. it's more like an 'r' shape. i mean literally...it's just like the lowercase 'r'. start low, open face contact with the ball, then follow through like normal to impart spin and speed as you finish your stroke.

i wish i could describe it better for you but i really can't...sorry.

maybe this video will help you....

www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 9:30pm
What do you mean by the "r" shape? I'm unclear, and the video doesn't seem to clarify. I don't think you're supposed to change the face of the face of the racket at all throughout the swing, at least not during contact.

Arthur Lui
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 9:41pm
the angle of the racket actually changes as you turn your body and follow through....again...it's hard to explain =( sorry...

this is just my opinion though, i am not an expert and i could be wrong. but i do not use the swing as depicted in the lower diagram and you can see in the vid (even though you can't see the swing motion that well) that the loops are plenty fast and plenty spinny.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

rand111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rand111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 11:18pm
Heres what I do...

When I am using the loop kill, my racket is more open(maybe bigger than 50 degrees with horizontal)and once I feel that the ball "stops" on my rubber, I close my racket as I swing forward with my arm and rotate my waist(30 degrees with the horizontal). Finally, I snap my wrist to give the ball some more spin and speed.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 11:31pm
thats pretty close to what i do....
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 12:16am
Originally posted by rand111 rand111 wrote:

Heres what I do...

When I am using the loop kill, my racket is more open(maybe bigger than 50 degrees with horizontal)and once I feel that the ball "stops" on my rubber, I close my racket as I swing forward with my arm and rotate my waist(30 degrees with the horizontal). Finally, I snap my wrist to give the ball some more spin and speed.
The ball is only in contact with the blade for about 1-5 milliseconds.  I believe it takes much longer than that for the impact to register in the brain.  The ball is long gone unless you anticipate the impact.

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 9:28am
it stays on the paddle much longer than that if you know how to impact well. 
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 10:17am
where is the 1-5ms number from?

having EJ'd the living crap out of "high dwell" setups (soft outer plies, flexible faces/necks) and gone through a myriad of rubber at the same time including hard and slow chinese sponges, I can definitely vouch for "big swing against powerful incoming ball" is the only thing that seems to penetrate a hard chinese sponge and engages both top ply and flex. Certainly the subjective experience is that it creates a "longer feeling of the ball" especially during big counter drives.

and from network latency stuff (beware: online FPS gaming reference) i know from objective performance based results that my brain can easily register a 20-30ms difference (it affects timing and reflexes). And I'm sure that folks with better reflexes/faster neural pathways might be able to register smaller differences...

So here's another question - is the difference in dwelltime between an OFF+ carbon blade with a high(?) COR and fast rubber and a slow, flexible, soft ALL blade with harder sponge in fact more than than 20-30ms on certain strokes?

Because it certainly feels like it.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 10:26am
Using H2 some blades feel like they are hanging onto the ball forever, whether they actually are or you are just feeling the blade flex on your swing is highly debatable :P. I'm sure if you get the angle of the ball penetrating the rubber just perfect so it can travel mucch deeper than the vertical 4mm you have then I'm sure you can double the time the ball is on the bat but it's still going to be an almost nothing amount of time

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 11:32am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

where is the 1-5ms number from?
Good question.  It deserves another thread instead of hijacking this one.   

sahunhong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahunhong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 12:37pm
Mmm.... so

The Chinese loop, is basically grazing behind the ball and then "wrapping around" the blade after contact?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 12:50pm
kinda...the issue is depicting the angle of the blade. i'm not disagreeing with your first picture (topspin) it's just the underspin/no-spin picture that i'm a bit iffy on.

as you can see in the following vid (even though i look stiff as a board) you get an idea of how to swing against topspin balls.

but against underspin balls, the swing will kind of look like the picture you just put up. maybe a bit more upward motion and less forward....

again, i am not an expert so please take this advice with a grain of salt.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

sahunhong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahunhong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 12:56pm
Yes tpgh2k, your topspin vs topspin looks like mine. ^^
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 3:58pm
I don't think anyone can adequately change the racket angle mid-stroke when the only part of the stroke that actually matters is the time during contact (dwell time) and dwell time only lasts something like 10ms.

To my knowledge, all strokes are either in a straight line, or on a smooth concave curve or convex (though I have doubts about whether convex works at all).

For forehand loops I always use a straight line stroke, and for backhands I often use a concave loop.

I'm not saying this is the only way to do it, it's just what I do.

So maybe I'd correct your diagram by drawing a smooth curve, not a line that changes direction mid-way through.

Arthur Lui
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 4:13pm
you're probably right ppgear. straight line is most likely the way it happens. i just wish i had a slo-motion camera to see what i actually do against underspin balls....
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic