Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Zetro Quad Blade Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2012 at 9:21pm
now i am going to explain my point of view.

i like to play from time to time mixed play with lp in the bh. here i do not have several blades to play. i have just one. an old stiga allround classic st bengston.

the good players i know playing with pips (short or lp) are very sensitive to play with his feeling blade with the pips.
there is no so much ejing. the blade has to provide a master feeling. to use the pips with some edge.

and it is curious but the ones i know including myself and for sure He zhi wen play with very particular blades that provide his feeling to use control variation. usually they use the same blade from long time ago and they do not ej much. i would say at all. 
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Sponsored Links

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2012 at 2:53am
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

now i am going to explain my point of view.

i like to play from time to time mixed play with lp in the bh. here i do not have several blades to play. i have just one. an old stiga allround classic st bengston.

the good players i know playing with pips (short or lp) are very sensitive to play with his feeling blade with the pips.
there is no so much ejing. the blade has to provide a master feeling. to use the pips with some edge.

and it is curious but the ones i know including myself and for sure He zhi wen play with very particular blades that provide his feeling to use control variation. usually they use the same blade from long time ago and they do not ej much. i would say at all. 

well i played sometimes with 3 difrent blades in a tournament and still  managed to beat some 2300 players maybe i m an exception but it works for me, some days i have the jitters and i  want to play  safe with a slower blade  and some days i feel like i own the world and i play with carbo 7.6(OFF+) and it works for me .
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2012 at 10:10pm
WOW...that looks like a sandwich with mayo and peanut butter...LOL
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2012 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

wel said! LOL

i got one in st for collection...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2012 at 7:18am

Too expensive peanut butter that is. Especially if spread by Butterfly.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2012 at 5:50pm

missed the seaweed layer???Big smile
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2012 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

missed the seaweed layer???Big smile

Is that what that dark thin layer was??? LOL
Laki Sultan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laki Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2013 at 1:50pm

Hi, I will like to change my current setup 

Blade TBS award 50

BH Xiom Sigma  max

FH Xiom Vega Europe 2.0

New setup

Blade Xiom Zetro Quad

BH Donic Baracuda  1.8

FH Yasaka Rakza soft 1.8

Any suggestions about new setup? about rubber size i choose 1.8 because as i read in older posts this blade i fast, and if i put max rubber maybe my balls will go boom Smile 

Edited by Laki Sultan - 01/18/2013 at 1:51pm
BTY Timo Boll ALC st
FH Donic Baracuda 1.8
BH Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 1.8
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2013 at 1:52pm
1.8 on bh is a good idea; 2.0 on the fh seems more appropriate.
also i'd but the rakza soft 1.8 on the bh and the barracuda 2.0 on the fh.
Laki Sultan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laki Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2013 at 2:21pm
Fatt i choose 1.8 because i`m afraid about my balls to go wide-out of table. i think maybe its to fast for me, but i love this blade its beautiful and the price is good now on sale at tt11. 
BTY Timo Boll ALC st
FH Donic Baracuda 1.8
BH Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 1.8
Jack C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2013 at 8:59pm
Does this blade match well with Chinese rubbers?
BTY ZJK SUPER ZLC CPEN/STIGA XX CS
FH: DIGNICS 09C/ H3 NATIONAL
BH: SKYLINE 3-60

My Feedback
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2013 at 11:39pm
For starters, I've been playing for 9 years as an offensive player focusing on spinny serves, opening loops and counter-attacks. I peaked around 1900 US a few years ago and have plateau'd in the 1700 range due to EJing, work and family restraints. I typically alternate between 5 or 7 ply all wood blades and a couple ALC types depending on my rubber. (Prefer chinese rubber on all wood and med-soft for acrylates). As for this review, I am using Tibhar mx-p and Donic M2. I reference Timo ZLF some, as I have played with a friend's a few times recently and they have some of the same characteristics. 
I'm going to skim through the aesthetic part. The packaging looks modern, the edges near the neck are sanded for comfort. When ordering, I requested the lightest blade available, ended up with 92g, which isn't bad considering some were 95+. 

This blade is quite unique, in that its like 3 different blades built into one. First, it can play like an allround blade. Kiso-hinoki is a very soft wood that Xiom has incorporated into their top ply. The softness allows for a very controlled over the table game. Dropping service returns over the net and the making flip shots with ease. At the same time, Zetro Quad can be quite offensive. Xiom has placed two layers of carbon near the center of the blade which are best known for added speed and stiffness. The carbon is only noticeable during fast rallies, drives and smashing due to its deep placement within the plies. Then comes the Zylon, which gives the blade an Off- feeling when spinning the ball. I've read that it aids with blade flex, but I'm not familiar enough with the properties of zylon to comment further.

Over the table, the Xiom Zetro some how keeps my serves a little tighter to the net. It might have something to do with the added weight (Zetro weighed 92gr vs 82g that I'm used to). I also noticed that my service returns stayed nice and short, causing problems for my opponent to loop the third ball effectively. Backspin serves would spin back to the net with more force than normal during practice. Again, probably due to the weight, bat speed and torque.

Hitting rallies during warm-up felt exceptionally good. When the ball contacts the rubber, it gives off this pleasant sound and feeling to the hand. I don't really feel the blade flex under these conditions, but the unusual sound, much like the Timo ZLF while hitting, is quite noticeable. The sound resembles throwing a table tennis ball at a feather pillow. Hitting was a little faster than I'm used to, but easily controllable by softening my hip rotation. After the first couple minutes, I felt like I could hit mid-paced fh to fh rallies all afternoon long with great precision. 

In looping situations 1-3 feet from the table, OMG! Zetro Quad felt much like the ZLF only on steroids. The rubber grabbed the ball, sent a soft pulse to my hand, clicked and sent the ball precisely where I wanted. Brush looping had a slightly lower throw angle than I'm used to, as did mechanical, but it seemed to give my opponent more problems. I'm not exactly sure how the Zylon aids in spinning the ball, but my usual practice partner was having a difficult time returning my loops. Looping 5-8 feet or so from the table is where you start to feel the carbon come into play. Other blades, TB ZLF, TB Spirit, Keyshot, they find their limits around this distance. Zetro keeps shining. I was able to loop balls down below my knees from 10+ feet out and have them land in the center of the opponents side using 75% strength. If my practice partner could smash a little harder, I feel like I could have backed up a couple more feet and still landed counter loops on the table with ease. Loop drives were highly accurate. The trajectory was low and deep, and I could place them in the corners or right down the line at will. Looping of all types with this blade is simply amazing.

Smashing was fun. This is how the blade gets its Off+ rating. It's super fast and the weight, again, aids in rocketing the ball past the opponent. In other parts of the game it feels like all+ to off-. The ping sound from the carbon cries out with each smash. Interesting to me, I suppose cause I haven't used carbon in years. I did some spinless lobbing to set up for the distant loop drives/counter attacks and it was remarkably easy with the Z Quad. And trust me, I suck at being defensive. 

Overall, this is my favorite blade, as it does so many things well. True, TB ZLF, controls the short game and looping, but it runs out of steam away from the table. And the ZLC I've used, lacks control over the table. On top of that, the Quad costs half as much and is most versatile. 
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2013 at 11:59pm
This is all so accurate and precise; thanks for a great review of one of the best blades ever made.
Benigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2013 at 3:56am
One of the best reviews I have read! This guy knows what he's talking about.
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2013 at 6:18am
Thanks for the info MindTrip! Good review.
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2013 at 7:09am
this blade is a great wonder, i have one in my arsenal and last august so when my signature showed me using the ZQ, people messaged me about it and made offers for it, i still have it lying around somewhere. i liked it with ESN rubbers, and Chinese for FH. wonderful touch, it was one of my early EJ purchase.
RSM Special Platinum T64
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2013 at 5:43pm
Thanks all. Glad to see we have some fellow owners of this fine blade. 

-Silva7, I agree with your assessment about compatible rubbers. I started using the Zetro with TG3 Neo on the FH as that is what I was used to at the time. Now, I'm banging MX-P, which I believe comes from the tensor family if I am not mistaken. Either way, both types work well with this blade. 

Has anyone tried Tenergy with the Zetro Quad? I am curious if the blade was able to help in Ten05's shortcomings near the net.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2013 at 6:14pm
Most people who swear by Tenergy say that its shortcomings near the net are compensated by much more consistent loops and counter loops; I would argue that plenty of other shortcomings in the hitting and smashing game make T05 a weird beast that is far to be the best choice for average club players like you and me.

I played Tenergy for a couple years when it was $40 a sheet (timstt, dandoy...); on the Photino or MJ it was a looping dream; the XZQ should make Tenergy 05 shine even more in that area of the game; I do expect the XZQ to tame the sometimes annoying bouncing characteristics of Tenergy 05 on the short game.

Do you plan to try T64 on your bh (as your signature might imply)?

Bluefire FTW!

PingPongTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2013 at 6:43pm

Some people believe that Zetro Quad is a “poor man’s Amultart”. Can someone verify this?

BTY Amultart

FH Tenergy 05 Black Max

BH Tenergy 64 1.9mm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2013 at 6:56pm
There is a difference between a red Ferrari and a red Miata. The price difference between them is justified.
The price difference between the Amultart and the XZQ is not justified by anything like additional features and superiority of play.

The XZQ would be a mix between Photino (zylon behind outer ply) and Innerforce ZLC (carbon stuck to the core). The Amultart is harder in feel and the Zcarbon right behind its outer plies would indicate so.

Benigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2013 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by PingPongTom PingPongTom wrote:

Some people believe that Zetro Quad is a “poor man’s Amultart”. Can someone verify this?

The difference in price between a zetro quad and amultart is simply because the amultart has a "butterfly" logo on it.
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2013 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Most people who swear by Tenergy say that its shortcomings near the net are compensated by much more consistent loops and counter loops; I would argue that plenty of other shortcomings in the hitting and smashing game make T05 a weird beast that is far to be the best choice for average club players like you and me.

I played Tenergy for a couple years when it was $40 a sheet (timstt, dandoy...); on the Photino or MJ it was a looping dream; the XZQ should make Tenergy 05 shine even more in that area of the game; I do expect the XZQ to tame the sometimes annoying bouncing characteristics of Tenergy 05 on the short game.

Do you plan to try T64 on your bh (as your signature might imply)?

Bluefire FTW!

I've played Tenergy before and can agree to a point, but I have become a much more dynamic player by giving it up. Just like how I'd have to give up the table after returning the second ball. (Tenergy humor)

T64 is not on my list. I do have some 05fx lying around, but it has probably shrunk beyond usability. Plus it plays so similar to Bluefire, it wouldn't be worth swapping for.

Sad to say, but I still have an itch to try MJ. 2 of my club mates use MJ and their styles are so different. One flat hits and smashes like a beast and the other plays with such a soft touch and controlled loop. Yet, both are so good at what they do. 

Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2013 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by MindTrip MindTrip wrote:

Sad to say, but I still have an itch to try MJ. 
 who does not? LOL

tayyabsaeedkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tayyabsaeedkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2013 at 2:18pm
Just ordered Zetro quad with Bluefire M1 both sides from tt11. Will try and post my opinion regarding the setup Smile

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 6:44pm
Megaspin says 5 kiso hinoki, 2 zylon, 2 carbon plies.

Not sure about what that image below says now.

I think megaspin is mistaken; but I'd like to be sure.

Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 7:56pm
Yeah, looks like a typo.
The kiso-hinoki is only on the outer plies. The illustration looks correct.
I love the kiri core.

I got a new one too. As I'm not sure how fast this blade is, I will be testing it out with Omega IV Europe 2.0mm on bh and Stiga Calibra LT 2.0mm on fh. 
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
tayyabsaeedkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tayyabsaeedkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2013 at 1:43pm
Well received my Xiom zetro quad with bluefire m1 max both sides from tt11. I have played almost a week and i think this is appropriate time to give my initial impressions.
I am around USATT 2200. I am a two wing looper and sometimes punch block on table.
The setup did feel  slightly head heavy but the balance of the blade was fairly good with heavy rubbers.
The setup was extremely powerful.
Loops were great and i could easily kill a point with a powerful loop.
Loops against backspin was also not an issue and fairly easy.
Blocking was also stable.
I felt the blade performed linear. 
Compared to Rosewood 7 with m1, zetro quad felt hard and fast.
I was expecting it would feel soft but it was hard.
Conclusion :  
                     Well I am happy with this combo and it does all for me. 

Edited by tayyabsaeedkhan - 04/04/2013 at 2:00pm
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 9:52am
Originally posted by tayyabsaeedkhan tayyabsaeedkhan wrote:

Well received my Xiom zetro quad with bluefire m1 max both sides from tt11. I have played almost a week and i think this is appropriate time to give my initial impressions.
I am around USATT 2200. I am a two wing looper and sometimes punch block on table.
The setup did feel  slightly head heavy but the balance of the blade was fairly good with heavy rubbers.
The setup was extremely powerful.
Loops were great and i could easily kill a point with a powerful loop.
Loops against backspin was also not an issue and fairly easy.
Blocking was also stable.
I felt the blade performed linear. 
Compared to Rosewood 7 with m1, zetro quad felt hard and fast.
I was expecting it would feel soft but it was hard.
Conclusion :  
                     Well I am happy with this combo and it does all for me. 

Wouldn't most of the weight be coming from the M1?
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 10:58am
Seeing this topic popping up over the past few days makes me wanna pick up my Zetro and play. It's been over a month since I acquired the blade and I'm actually sticking to it. Most other blades leave something to be desired, but I can't find a flaw with this one. I let my practice partner play with it while I was out of town for business, he emailed me saying he regrets paying so much for his ZLC. He's a strong believer in you get what you pay for/ higher the cost, the better it is, etc. I thought I was going to have to wrestle it from his hand when I got back. Love it!
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 11:15am
I am back to it. The 2 I had were well above 90g and I sold them because the weight and also because I wanted to finance the tests of the z+ and zxi but it appears a zq under 90g is for me the way to go. Speed, spin, not too much flex, not too soft, not too hard...I do not understand why we can have it for under $100 when it performs as well as the most expensive bty blades.
Xiom really did something with that blade and I am officially done with blade buying. 2 days ago I received my package and it's still at usps; I'll get my 2 personal zq tomorrow and sell everything else after my last test with boosted lkt rapid speed on calix and stilo-z.
In the package I also got 2 m2 and 2 m3 all in 2.0. I will try to get back in shape and crack 2k with that combo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic