Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tacky rubber question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tacky rubber question
    Posted: 11/23/2010 at 3:07pm
Hey guys. I am new to tacky rubbers. Haven't been using them for long as I only recently switched.

My question is: when does a tacky rubber play at it's best. Is it when the initial tackiness wears off?
I am asking this because on my setup now the original tackiness wore off already which is fine. However I then put the plastic protective film (non sticky) and now the tackiness has come back. Like brand new lol. Should I just not use them. Because everytime it's back to normal.

Thanks
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
Sponsored Links

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2010 at 3:47pm
i read that,

chinese pros actually use fresh/new rubbers which would have initial tackiness as it is more predictable to play with.

as tackiness disappear, speed increases. depends on what you mean by a tacky rubber's peak, because in my opinion it is when it is the most tacky that everything lands for me.

judging from your sig, seems to me you are using both one of the tackyess (lol) of the tacky rubbers in the market. 

i would say dont clean it and leave the film off the rubbers. the tackiness should wear off and be less compared to before.
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2010 at 4:50pm
the initial tackiness is the tackiness that feels a bit like static. it will hold the ball if you threw it up on your blade. that is the tackiness you don't want. having the rubber stay tacky all the time is good though. after the first hour of hitting or so, the initial super tackiness should be gone.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2010 at 5:29pm
Thanks for the reply guys :)
mon22 - i really dont know which i prefer. I think it can be slightly unpredictable with the tackiness at its most though. Which is how they both are when i take the protective film off. and it will stay like that throughout the session. even 4 hours long....

ohhgourami - yes i know exactly what your talking about. Well it seems with these protective films it brings both sheets back to brand new with the tackiness that feels a bit like static. It will hold the ball very easily and when just balancing the ball on the rubber u can hear the friction

Pretty amazing how this works tbh. I just dont know weather or not to keep putting the protective films on. I dont think i want it to be like brand new. But i also want these rubbers to last a long time
Stiga Clipper
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2010 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

the initial tackiness is the tackiness that feels a bit like static. it will hold the ball if you threw it up on your blade. that is the tackiness you don't want. having the rubber stay tacky all the time is good though. after the first hour of hitting or so, the initial super tackiness should be gone.

also. For matched i dont get a 'knock'. So the tackiness is there throughout my first and maybe second match.

What would u suggest?
Stiga Clipper
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2010 at 6:21pm
if you feel it is a bit too tacky, just roll your arm on the topsheet so it collects some dust/dead skin.  if you are wearing a cotten shirt, roll it on that a bit too.  that will make the overly tackiness go away.  im assuming you are playing with a sheet of commercial h3, that's why it is so tacky.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2010 at 6:42pm
if it is too tacky for you, change rubbers. Tacky rubbers are not designed to collect the dust or whatever, to make them less tacky. before play, use your palm to wipe the rubber (and your breath), this is the best you can do, before you change your rubbers.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2010 at 8:36pm
Keep the plastic on them all the time, every second you are not playing :), that's the way you keep them consistent and wash the dust off between matches

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 2:27am
Well tomas.gt thanks for the advice on the last part of that comment. I surely wont be changing rubbers as they have pretty much improved my game in every aspect. Still a couple of things that need adapting. But i will do the breathing thing as I never do that.

Thanks for all the reply guys. I will continue to use the protective films and just make sure to breath and wipe when i take them off for the session.

btw ohhgourami I am using BW2 and H2. the Maze with H3's is a just a bat i felt like making as i had 2 new sheets and the blade. Still haven't had the chance to play with them yet.
But yes you are right everything is commercial and very tacky. I love it :D
Stiga Clipper
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 2:30am
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

Keep the plastic on them all the time, every second you are not playing :), that's the way you keep them consistent and wash the dust off between matches

actually thinking about it now. The BW2 collected a lot of dust. Maybe thats what was producing the very slight inconsistencies. But at the end of the session i tried to breath and wipe and still couldnt get it off lol. Need to put the water on it later. As i forgot lol
Stiga Clipper
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 5:46am
Hey Ndragon88,

I've used BW2, H2, H3, & H3 Neo. I find that just using your palms to clean the surface isn't enough to remove all the dust, if anything you leave more dust and skin particles behind. Using a cleaning solvent spray would only remove the tackiness over time, so I like to breath heavy on it then use a clean sponge to wipe down the surface. You could also just fill a spray bottle with water instead. I also agree with nicefrog's advice on keeping plastic on them always. I like my forehand rubbers extremely tacky!

Edited by qynthnghm - 11/24/2010 at 5:47am
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 8:17am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Hey Ndragon88,

I've used BW2, H2, H3, & H3 Neo. I find that just using your palms to clean the surface isn't enough to remove all the dust, if anything you leave more dust and skin particles behind. Using a cleaning solvent spray would only remove the tackiness over time, so I like to breath heavy on it then use a clean sponge to wipe down the surface. You could also just fill a spray bottle with water instead. I also agree with nicefrog's advice on keeping plastic on them always. I like my forehand rubbers extremely tacky!
Great reply. I completely agree with the wiping thing. I don't know about the spray bottle though lol. But if not then i will just have to take a visit to the toilet now and then to use the sink lol
Thanks for the post.

Stiga Clipper
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 8:20am
Well, I don't mean like a regular sized spray bottle. I used to have a tiny spray bottle that was filled with your typical rubber cleaning solution. Since it has been used up, I just fill it with water now. They're tiny and compact, and fit nicely in my TT pouch where I keep my TT accessories (scissors, sandpaper, glues, etc.).
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 8:21am
There is just one more thing. Sorry if it's a stupid question but i just want to make sure.
When using water to clean this is what i do:
1. use warm water and just flick some on with my fingers.
2. wipe the whole rubber sheet with my fingers getting off all the dirt and dust.
3. use a credit card to clean it off, trying not to go over the same place twice.
4. use my towel and dab it on the remaining wet parts (if there is any).

Is this the right thing to do?
Stiga Clipper
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 8:21am
Everyone here just uses the sink, wash some water on your hand, rub it on the rubber to clean it, dry it, done :)

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 8:22am

Well, I don't mean like a regular sized spray bottle. I used to have a tiny spray bottle that was filled with your typical rubber cleaning solution. Since it has been used up, I just fill it with water now. They're tiny and compact, and fit nicely in my TT pouch where I keep my TT accessories (scissors, sandpaper, glues, etc.).
ah ok then. Sounds cool. Where can I get one from?
Stiga Clipper
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 8:23am

Everyone here just uses the sink, wash some water on your hand, rub it on the rubber to clean it, dry it, done :)

the good old sink ey hahaha
Is it ok to dry it with a hair dryer if there is one available?
Stiga Clipper
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

ah ok then. Sounds cool. Where can I get one from?

You can get these little bottles from salon or chemical supply stores. I found one here online for you that is only $1.10 USD for a 2oz bottle. There's more on the site, just browse around.

Also you don't really need to dab your rubber with a towel, that would just leave more dust and fibers on the surface! Just wave your paddle dry! Shouldn't take more than a few seconds.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2010 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

the good old sink ey hahaha
Is it ok to dry it with a hair dryer if there is one available?

Yep, well I use the hand dryer. I don't get the rubber too hot.... Just warm, that helps the rubber gain a bit of performance if it's a cold winters night too

Edited by nicefrog - 11/24/2010 at 9:17am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic