FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Gambler Outlaw Lavender Sponge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2011 at 4:31pm
seems the same to me, but its' hard to tell exactly with a different sponge under.  also, they may be brand new produced, and not as aged?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sponsored Links

liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 7:41am
anyone can tell me more about Gambler outlaw durability ?
last more than 6 months ?
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 9:04am
Originally posted by liang1983 liang1983 wrote:

No, not even close. Maybe 1 month at best if you play regularly, but mine typically only lasted me a few weeks before I got tearing and bubbling
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 9:57am

well my sheet lasted 6 months. There was a tiny chip on close to the handle because of my tight grip. In the lost months there was a tiny bit of topsheet that dissolved slightly from the sponge at the edge of my racket. This will happen if you hit the edge a lot of times.
Other than that there were no problems.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 9:57am

well my sheet lasted 6 months. There was a tiny chip on close to the handle because of my tight grip. In the lost months there was a tiny bit of topsheet that dissolved slightly from the sponge at the edge of my racket. This will happen if you hit the edge a lot of times.
Other than that there were no problems.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 10:46am
I play 3 hours a day and get 2 months out of a sheet of Outlaw if I do not rip it. You have to put on edge tape to slow down the brittleness of the edges. Even so, it will start to chip within a month. Big deal, all you can realy expect for top performance of T05 is a month playing everyday tops, even if the topsheet lasts way longer. Sometimes, you have other issues with Outlaw, but that is streaky. All in all, Original Outlaw is good if you do not get a bad sheet or be unfortunate and rip it on a corner.

I also have had outlaw last 6 months on a backup bat without issues. I just don't use the backup bat a lot.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 11:08am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I play 3 hours a day and get 2 months out of a sheet of Outlaw if I do not rip it. You have to put on edge tape to slow down the brittleness of the edges. Even so, it will start to chip within a month. Big deal, all you can realy expect for top performance of T05 is a month playing everyday tops, even if the topsheet lasts way longer. Sometimes, you have other issues with Outlaw, but that is streaky. All in all, Original Outlaw is good if you do not get a bad sheet or be unfortunate and rip it on a corner.

I also have had outlaw last 6 months on a backup bat without issues. I just don't use the backup bat a lot.

I only play 2-3 times a week so my sheets last a little longer.
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 12:42pm
I think some here are referring to 1st or 2nd generation Outlaw, not the new 3rd generation Outlaw Golden Cake Sponge. I have been playing with two sheets of black Outlaw GCS and thus far they still look like new, and I was previously splitting the topsheets on 1st and 2nd gen Outlaws within hours.

While not much like the first two Outlaws, I think Outlaw GCS is an excellent looping and blocking rubber in its own right, and doesn't deserve the ridicule heaped on it by disappointed 1st and 2nd gen Outlaw users whose expectations were not met. Zeropong.com no longer lists Outlaw GCS, and I hope they haven't decided to drop it altogether. Colestt.com does have it at this time.
BBC, SP, LP
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2011 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

I think some here are referring to 1st or 2nd generation Outlaw, not the new 3rd generation Outlaw Golden Cake Sponge. I have been playing with two sheets of black Outlaw GCS and thus far they still look like new, and I was previously splitting the topsheets on 1st and 2nd gen Outlaws within hours.

While not much like the first two Outlaws, I think Outlaw GCS is an excellent looping and blocking rubber in its own right, and doesn't deserve the ridicule heaped on it by disappointed 1st and 2nd gen Outlaw users whose expectations were not met. Zeropong.com no longer lists Outlaw GCS, and I hope they haven't decided to drop it altogether. Colestt.com does have it at this time.

I also found Outlaw GCS to be more durable than the original Outlaw. I'll point out that my previous experience with outlaw was based on a lot of multiballing and robot training during the summer, which wears on a rubber more than match playing.
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
Slade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2011 at 7:25am
By the way, black felt a bit more well rounded (recommend: FH) and red was stiffer for hit/block (BH). Maybe not a big difference but that's what I thought.
USATT 1700 ··· 11/02/2013   ◄ ПЕШ
callisto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 11:56am
Did anyone know if i can buy outlaw lavender somewhere else than at zeropong ?

Thanks 
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by callisto callisto wrote:

Did anyone know if i can buy outlaw lavender somewhere else than at zeropong ?Thanks 
I think ColesTT.com sells it now.
BBC, SP, LP
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 2:01pm
Zeropong's silence on this is kinda strange. I hope they will bring both versions back.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 2:16pm
As of just now, ZeroPong has both versions still, and has been for a while. GCS version went off-site for a little bit back then and came back within a few weeks --- must have been a production thing?
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2011 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by rawrtje rawrtje wrote:

As of just now, ZeroPong has both versions still, and has been for a while. GCS version went off-site for a little bit back then and came back within a few weeks --- must have been a production thing?

It's listed but it's been out of stock for a while now. Hopefully they'll bring it back soon, and in 2.0 thickness.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2011 at 3:19pm
My understanding is that if and when the white sponge version goes back into production, it will only be made in 2.15

rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2011 at 11:35pm
Anyone has any update on Gambler Outlaw Lavender Sponge rubber?
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2011 at 11:59pm
Hm, never heard of it. Is it Gambler Outlow pretuned? 
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2011 at 4:53am
Originally posted by rick_ys_ho rick_ys_ho wrote:

Anyone has any update on Gambler Outlaw Lavender Sponge rubber?

After a few sessions, I must admit I don't have the same pleasure using it compared to the former gambler. Yes, it is lighter, which is very convenient, especially when you use heavy blades. Speed is levelled or maybe a tiny bit slower, but almost unnoticeable. It's still low throw and grippiness is OK. What differs is that it's not as "crispy" as before and I lost the outstanding control I had .
I went from a great rubber to an OK rubber. It's still good for the price but nothing exceptional. My two cents...
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2011 at 5:28pm
Finally I got Outlaw GCS and played with it - twice. Here is my 2c

1. Weight - 57 g (so lighter than old Outlaw). Cut sheet weighs then approximately 40 g.

2. Appearance - topsheet seems a bit more supple, softer than the old one. Perhaps they fixed the topsheet as well, not just the sponge.

3. Hardness - Certainly feels a little softer than old Outlaw (Cream version, white sponge). Numerically it is about 37 for both topsheet and sponge which is 3 degrees softer than old Outlaw. Does that mean that they have changed the topsheet significantly as well? perhaps... or maybe the durometer is affected by the softer sponge underneath (after all, that durometer is not set up to measure hardness of such thin layers of sponges/rubber).

4. Speed - as jcdi noticed just above me, it is just a tiny bit less than before. Noticeable but really negligible difference, imho.

5. Control - doesn't seem to have changed that much, really. It is certainly improved in the short game, I am guessing the reason is that sponge is softer so it is not as hard in gentle control and pushes as before. Blocks are still good. I do understand what jcdi meant by loss of crispness but I do not consider that a problem - most likely because I was playing it on a very fast Galaxy T-8... so no need for crispness there, I rather needed a bit more dwell-time which old Outlaw on such a blade would lack almost to the point of zero DT. I haven't tested it on BH yet so not a lot of blocking was done but on FH I didn't feel any disappointment in that department.

6. Spin - since I installed it on my FH as a temporary replacement of PME 47.5, the comparison will be made mostly with that rubber. In two words - noticeably less... less spin that is. My guess is that the topsheet is still rather hard so you only get decent amount of spin if you force a relatively deep penetration of the ball into the rubber... and sometimes there is not enough time for that.

7. Flat game and sensitivity to the (incoming) spin - are still really good. Perhaps S2S is a bit less than with the old Outlaw which is to be expected but it is still better than PME, Blitz and similar rubbers.

8. Durability - only played it twice, for about one and two hours, so I cannot offer any data there. I will update this item later after a few weeks, months, etc.

Generally I like this one (for my purposes) a little better than the old one which sometimes really sucked in gentler combination-style game. For all-out attacker with good technique old Outlaw could be a more promising rubber, but for the most of us this one is an improvement, I think.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 1:10pm
Measured hardness - it is very very similar to Palio Blitz (around 37 for both topsheet and sponge).

On my T-8 (backhand) it plays very confidently and seems to be a quite reasonable cheap replacement for Blitz (if someone is interested in such, of course). Great block, nice control in looping and pushes.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 1:45pm
By the way, tom tells me that they should have the white sponge back shortly.  Will only be in 2.15

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 2:28pm
I think I gave up on GO Cream a long time ago - topsheet is just too hard for over the table short game control or for accurate low pushing etc. Also looping with it on W-1 or T-8 was really hard - almost zero dwell time.

NBSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NBSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 5:15pm
Can anyone compare the Gambler Outlaw Lavender's (Golden Cake Sponge) spin compared to let's say, Mark V?

Also, can anyone comment on its weight and sponge hardness compared to Gambler Wraith/Wrath? I'm thinking of putting GOCS on forehand and Wraith/Wrath on backhand but I need the forehand side to be about the same hardness or harder and be of same weight or heavier...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic