Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Q] How to dampen vibration in blade??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Q] How to dampen vibration in blade??
    Posted: 01/20/2011 at 1:59am
Is there an easy and effective way to dampen vibrations felt in all wood blades? I've gone back to my Galaxy W6, coming from TBS, and am struggling with counter-hitting while warming up. The harder strokes(looping,smashing, etc) and softer (serving,pushing)strokes do not bother me. But the medium shots send numbness through my wrist at the point of contact, causing the ball to go off the end of the table. Has anyone else experienced this when switching from composite to all wood? Is there a solution (ie.rubber grip, adding weight) other than selling the blade and getting something else?
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
Sponsored Links

zhijie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhijie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 9:34am
Perhaps you could try "Power" tape ?

http://www.butterflyonline.com/online_store_productcloseup.asp?page=glue_clean.asp&type=13&ID=16&pg=1&SortBy=b.NewProd&displayNum=20

I have used this before to increase the "power" (or speed (?) ) on some light blades and I feel that it helps. I also learnt from local TT shop dealer that one of Spore female international player also used it too Smile
AL_in_MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AL_in_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 9:38am
You could also try putting a grip wrap on the handle, you can get one used for tennis rackets and cut it to size.
Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 9:43am
Are you using speed glue ?
Blade: Timo Boll ZLF ST
My Feedback

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 10:27am
MT, I use the TBS as my main setup and have a W6 backup in my bag. I use grip tape on both bats. Mainly, it is for over sweaty hands/arms, so the bat doesn't try to fly at the opponent before the ball gets by him.

W6 is a vibrating kind of blade no matter what. Get used to that fact. It is built that way intentiionally. (So are a bunch of Stiga) You can do a few things, like use a harder sponge, use a faster rubber, use grip tape, drill into the handle and insert your own foam or other substance of your preference...

I think using your rubber of choice with grip tape is your most realistic and non-intrusive method. Your balance will feel better, your grip will be secure, and your opponent will not worry about getting clocked by a bat, unless you are really out to get him/her.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 1:00pm
Zhijie- I've never heard of PowerTape. I assume it is like weighted edge tape?

AL_in_MN & BH-Man- I've tried grip tape in the past. I liked the feeling when hitting the ball alot, but over time as the tape started to come loose the wrap became distracting. Also left the handle with sticky residue when I sold the blade. The harder  sponged rubber is a good point, BH-Man. When I used the W6 in the past, I played with PO tuned 729 Trans SP, which is most likely the reason I didn't notice any vibrations. I really don't want to go back to that rubber. However, I love the idea about pumping foam into the handle. I will do this tomorrow. The metal Yinhe emblem on the bottom of the handle will cover the hole nicely. Spray foam or sponge-like foam?

Pioneer- I wish speed glue was an option. :-)

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 1:22pm
Any $2 badminton tape will do the trick.

Or carefully remove the covers of the handle and add/glue some dampening tissue, say, the selfsame tape. Many of the Donic blades have precisely this AVS.

Edited by Imago - 01/20/2011 at 1:28pm
AL_in_MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AL_in_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by MindTrip MindTrip wrote:

AL_in_MN & BH-Man- I've tried grip tape in the past. I liked the feeling when hitting the ball alot, but over time as the tape started to come loose the wrap became distracting. Also left the handle with sticky residue when I sold the blade. The harder  sponged rubber is a good point, BH-Man. When I used the W6 in the past, I played with PO tuned 729 Trans SP, which is most likely the reason I didn't notice any vibrations. I really don't want to go back to that rubber. However, I love the idea about pumping foam into the handle. I will do this tomorrow. The metal Yinhe emblem on the bottom of the handle will cover the hole nicely. Spray foam or sponge-like foam?

Drilling and adding foam seems kind of drastic, IMO, (and really I can't imagine how this would help absorb vibration, being inside the handle), but let us know how the experiment works. I have never had a grip tape come loose since using it for the last 5 years, it seems you are probably not securing it properly at the top and/or putting enough tension on it when it is applied. You should use the tape that comes with it and secure it all the way around at the top; done right it should not come loose. To get rid of sticky residue you can wipe the handle with Goo-Gone and lightly sand it.
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 2:11pm
i used expanding foam in the handle of defplay senso when optimising everything to combat tennis elbow,the vibration is less and the injury is much better although it does come back a little every now and then but moreso if i am trying out a different blade,but it was easy to get into this blade as the end has openings
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 2:43pm
Firetack- did the foam dampen enough, as in, was there a big before/after difference? The expanding foam I've seen over the years set up pretty hard. -Almost like plastic. 
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
zhijie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhijie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 7:05pm

Yes it is. It's some kind of metallic material that can be bent and used like edge tape. It can be cut into smaller pieces and stick it to different locations for weight adjustment. With additional weight, it may help to dampen the vibration.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 7:50pm

Is there an easy and effective way to dampen vibrations felt in all wood blades? 
 Why Dampen them? You like to feel what is going on less? Absdolutely Alien to me, You might do better feeling the ball MORE!!!!
Feeling the ball on contact improves your game, not diminishes it. Try targeting as your improvement, Touch, feel, awarness, you will be a better player for it.
The Older I get, The better I was.
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Is there an easy and effective way to dampen vibrations felt in all wood blades? 
 Why Dampen them? You like to feel what is going on less? Absdolutely Alien to me, You might do better feeling the ball MORE!!!!
Feeling the ball on contact improves your game, not diminishes it.

Was this the only sentence you read?
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 8:02pm
Sorry, actually yes............
The Older I get, The better I was.
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2011 at 11:16pm

I agree with all you said in the original post, which is exactly why I sold all of my carbon, hinoki and acrylate blades.... to get back to the basics. I know if I change rubber, the vibration will go away, but I just got the rubber a few months ago and its capable of everything I need from it. And I really don't want to go blade shopping again. I'm just trying to find a cheap, easy solution to dampen the blade while counter hitting.

I added some temporary weight to the head of the blade this evening. Obviously the setup became head heavy, but that annoying frequency is still bothering my wrist. I am going to add some weight to the handle tomorrow and see if that helps dampen anything. I am stubbornly determined to use this W6 Acuda S3 combo.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 2:55am
Originally posted by AL_in_MN AL_in_MN wrote:

Drilling and adding foam seems kind of drastic, IMO, (and really I can't imagine how this would help absorb vibration, being inside the handle), but let us know how the experiment works. I have never had a grip tape come loose since using it for the last 5 years, it seems you are probably not securing it properly at the top and/or putting enough tension on it when it is applied. You should use the tape that comes with it and secure it all the way around at the top; done right it should not come loose. To get rid of sticky residue you can wipe the handle with Goo-Gone and lightly sand it.

Fully agree... On both points. I never had issues with grip tape. I use the tennis grip, cut out the length I need, and use rubber cement to get the tape to stick to itself. Drilling and filling is defineately intrusive. You got to drill out a lot and it can get messy or fail if not careful. Still, even with the risk, it is a lot of fun and the W6 isn't exactly a $200 BTY blade, so the risk isn't all that bad. I'd be interested to hear how it works.

I think Silver or JKC has done something like this before.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 3:11am

I agree with all you said in the original post, which is exactly why I sold all of my carbon, hinoki and acrylate blades.... to get back to the basics. I know if I change rubber, the vibration will go away, but I just got the rubber a few months ago and its capable of everything I need from it. And I really don't want to go blade shopping again. I'm just trying to find a cheap, easy solution to dampen the blade while counter hitting.

I added some temporary weight to the head of the blade this evening. Obviously the setup became head heavy, but that annoying frequency is still bothering my wrist. I am going to add some weight to the handle tomorrow and see if that helps dampen anything. I am stubbornly determined to use this W6 Acuda S3 combo.

Hold you blade looser, and let your palm "dampen" for you when you counter hard.
Carbon/composite users tend to grip the blade quite firm, and it will not work well with all-wood blades.
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2011 at 4:39pm
I ended up drilling out a small hole on the middle of the handle, beneath the metal Yinhe logo and filled it with a dab of caulk - a bunch of fishing line weights - another dab of caulk and replaced the metal logo. I hit 10 balls on the robot with the W6 and Acuda combo and can tell that the vibration is not near as bad as before. The contact is much more solid throughout the blade when striking the ball.
However, the slight vibration is still bothersome, but the blade may not be the culprit at this point. I used to work for an automotive manufacturer back in the day, and the vibration of some of the low torque/high speed air guns bothered my elbow. I think the W6 vibration has upset that particular nerve, as now even if I shadow swing from the forehand side, it causes my wrist to twitch. I am going to let it rest for a couple of days and try again Sunday afternoon to see how the W6 feels with a few grams added to the handle.

Btw, I hit a few balls right after drilling a small hole in the handle and I don't see how people could like wrb or any other head heavy hollow handled blade. It reminded me of playing with the purple/green pips out premades that come with some of the low-end tables.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
AL_in_MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AL_in_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 6:32pm

I ended up drilling out a small hole on the middle of the handle, beneath the metal Yinhe logo and filled it with a dab of caulk - a bunch of fishing line weights - another dab of caulk and replaced the metal logo. I hit 10 balls on the robot with the W6 and Acuda combo and can tell that the vibration is not near as bad as before. The contact is much more solid throughout the blade when striking the ball. However, the slight vibration is still bothersome, but the blade may not be the culprit at this point. I used to work for an automotive manufacturer back in the day, and the vibration of some of the low torque/high speed air guns bothered my elbow. I think the W6 vibration has upset that particular nerve, as now even if I shadow swing from the forehand side, it causes my wrist to twitch. I am going to let it rest for a couple of days and try again Sunday afternoon to see how the W6 feels with a few grams added to the handle.Btw, I hit a few balls right after drilling a small hole in the handle and I don't see how people could like wrb or any other head heavy hollow handled blade. It reminded me of playing with the purple/green pips out premades that come with some of the low-end tables.

Interesting experiment and hope you like the results. I would also suggest that you try some physical therapy to strengthen your wrist/elbow. I had some serious tennis elbow issues a few years ago and learned a simple exercise that really helped. Here is a brief description:
Extend your arm fully in front of you with your palm facing down then make a fist. Clench and hold your fist tightly and slowly move your fist up and down about 5-10 times. Then rotate your fist so thumb is facing up and move it all the way back and forth 5-10 times. Repeat these exercises 5-10 times daily; a little discomfort is normal at first. Keep doing this daily and you should see significant improvement in 1 to 2 weeks. Hope it helps, really did the trick for me.
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by AL_in_MN AL_in_MN wrote:

Interesting experiment and hope you like the results. I would also suggest that you try some physical therapy to strengthen your wrist/elbow. I had some serious tennis elbow issues a few years ago and learned a simple exercise that really helped. Here is a brief description:
Extend your arm fully in front of you with your palm facing down then make a fist. Clench and hold your fist tightly and slowly move your fist up and down about 5-10 times. Then rotate your fist so thumb is facing up and move it all the way back and forth 5-10 times. Repeat these exercises 5-10 times daily; a little discomfort is normal at first. Keep doing this daily and you should see significant improvement in 1 to 2 weeks. Hope it helps, really did the trick for me.

Thank you so much for the rehabilitative exercise suggestion. I hope it helps.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic