FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

SuperCPen -- designed for RPB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 12:28am
Originally posted by bayttplayer bayttplayer wrote:

Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

anton, i didn't really take baytt's comments as criticism but rather as doubts about how supercpen could work - how it could be better. i think it is perfectly reasonable to have doubts about the efficacy of something you have not tried, and perfectly reasonable to express it in a forum where they can be answered.  so i think the best response is to explain and try to clear up the doubts.  

maybe Dai could eventually compile a FAQ and post on his website, so that everytime somebody new comes and asks something or expresses a doubt that has already been answered then we can just point to the FAQ and avoid tedious repitition of explanation.

of course, people can remain skeptical even after getting the best explanations. well then at that point there's nothing you can do.

No...
I wasn't criticism their design in the begining but I do now..Wink
because when they're not able to answer your question, only can to tell you...
you never try.. you're not 2600...

don't write your reivew if you're not 2600...it just doesn't count...Disapprove

well, you didn't write a review.. and you didn't write a "criticism" that has any risk of being taken seriously.. so let's move on.

i did try to answer your questions.. see my earlier reply about short ball and wrist bending.

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Sponsored Links

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 2:37am
Today I tried the SuperCPen S that I received back from Dai.

Used it to practice with my friend Jeff Duan. See video with SuperCPen S:

Initially I was okay. Felt like I could hold the paddle well for more than 10 minutes at a time. So it was an improvement for me. Then the index finger issue resurfaced a bit. I see now yes I seem to want my index finger to crawl up the handle as I play. And that puts pressure on the first joint. Then, I had some problems executing the backhand flip, my wrist didn't like it at all. Felt awkward. So I got worried and finished the session using my Modified SuperCPen.

SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:09am

Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

I'm more interested in this "hanging wrist" issue. Is that when the wrist during a penhold forehand stroke is still left bent like near the beginning of a backswing, and during the end of the stroke, is not extended outward? Therefore, the wrist is not fully utilized, which results in a less spinny forehand?

Does the SuperCPen address this problem? I've simulated the feeling by holding my cell phone, which is thin and about as wide as a SCPen handle, and it doesn't seem to matter.

I believe your understanding of the "hanging wrist" is correct.  I think that is more of a result of a player's grip and stroke mechanics than any particular handle he uses.  SuperCPen certainly does not make one particularly susceptible to that problem.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:13am
Originally posted by SuperCPen SuperCPen wrote:

I'm more interested in this "hanging wrist" issue. Is that when the wrist during a penhold forehand stroke is still left bent like near the beginning of a backswing, and during the end of the stroke, is not extended outward? Therefore, the wrist is not fully utilized, which results in a less spinny forehand?

Does the SuperCPen address this problem? I've simulated the feeling by holding my cell phone, which is thin and about as wide as a SCPen handle, and it doesn't seem to matter.

I believe your understanding of the "hanging wrist" is correct.  I think that is more of a result of a player's grip and stroke mechanics than any particular handle he uses.  SuperCPen certainly does not make one particularly susceptible to that problem.

Thanks, Dai, for clarifying that for me. I didn't think the SCPen (I hope you don't mind the abbreviation) would hinder that at all but just wanted to have it addressed. I've been to your site recently, it sure has grown a lot since the beginning of this thread. Keep up the great work!
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:20am

well, you didn't write a review.. and you didn't write a "criticism" that has any risk of being taken seriously.. so let's move on.

i did try to answer your questions.. see my earlier reply about short ball and wrist bending.

Thank you.  Let's move on indeed.  I think we have done our best to provent myths being repeated into facts.

Edited by SuperCPen - 04/27/2011 at 3:36am
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:30am
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

Initially I was okay. Felt like I could hold the paddle well for more than 10 minutes at a time. So it was an improvement for me. Then the index finger issue resurfaced a bit. I see now yes I seem to want my index finger to crawl up the handle as I play. And that puts pressure on the first joint. Then, I had some problems executing the backhand flip, my wrist didn't like it at all. Felt awkward. So I got worried and finished the session using my Modified SuperCPen.

I think you are too impatient.  If I may suggest again that to get acquainted with the handle, you start by not hitting with so much power immediately, but concentrating on get a good feel of the new handle.  Work up to full power slowly so that you hand has chance to get used to the handle.  Just my two cents.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 3:34am

Thanks, Dai, for clarifying that for me. I didn't think the SCPen (I hope you don't mind the abbreviation) would hinder that at all but just wanted to have it addressed. I've been to your site recently, it sure has grown a lot since the beginning of this thread. Keep up the great work!

You are welcome.  I really want to update my website with more info -- many good ideas were suggested here, a FAQ for example.  I hope to be able to spend some time doing that if my day job don't keep me at the office all the timeOuch
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2011 at 12:15pm

Used it to practice with my friend Jeff Duan. See video with SuperCPen.
Initially I was okay. Felt like I could hold the paddle well for more than 10 minutes at a time. So it was an improvement for me. Then the index finger issue resurfaced a bit. I see now yes I seem to want my index finger to crawl up the handle as I play. And that puts pressure on the first joint. Then, I had some problems executing the backhand flip, my wrist didn't like it at all. Felt awkward. So I got worried and finished the session using my Modified SuperCPen

Do you think it is more a comfort issue than a performance issue? Your strokes are very developed and you can probably play well with almost any blade. What percent would you say the handle shape affects your overall game? If someone beats me, one of my urges is to blame it on the equipment. But I know its not right since the other player was simply better and utilized their equipment better.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2011 at 2:46am
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

Do you think it is more a comfort issue than a performance issue?  What percent would you say the handle shape affects your overall game?

I play a similar style with different equipment. I like to loop from both sides. There are differences in the angles of the forehand and backhand, but I adjust angles to suit each incoming ball anyway.

I practiced again for two hours today. I spent 15 mins with the SuperCPen S. And then stopped with it to not overstress my wrist and index finger as soon as they felt sore. Rest of the time I used my thumbgrip-modified SuperCPen. I can loop equally strongly with both paddles. But comfort will affect relaxation and better shot selection.

But I am much more consistent with the thumbgrip at the moment. Towards the end of the session I was playing at a more relaxed and higher level than shown in my videos so far.

Edited by sandiway - 04/28/2011 at 2:15pm
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2011 at 6:42pm
Watch mins 36-38 in this video. See his paddle angle with the reverse penhold.

It's different from Wang Hao, different era of course. 

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 9:08am
that blade looks funny and kind of wrong - why does need to be so big and wide?
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 10:16am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

What's fanny is these shakehand blades with theirs long tails sticking out haha.
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 11:28am
the tail sticks out so that it doesnt fly out and smash someone in the head
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 12:08pm

That's so the angle for RPB is more natural. It winds up angling the forehand a bit better too.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 12:30pm

Wide & flat is great for penhold and improves FH and RPB.

Wide allows better leverage using the finger tips
Flat allows better matching of the blade angle to the angle of the fingers (more closed for FH and more open for BH)

You really have to try it. Your best other option is to look through this long thread and read up on the experiences of other users.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 2:04pm
wide so you are forced to hold the blade in such a way that the normal vector of the blade's surface lies in the plane of rotation of the hand. This simplifies the calculation your brain has to do to control the motion and orientation of the racket, which increases your reaction speed and accuracy. 

flat is just  it won't fit in your hand otherwise.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 5:56pm

Thanks to The Robot99, sweetstrike, and addoydue for all the concise answers.  If I may add, the handle also facilitate a very secure grip, even when held fully relexed, the blade would not fly out of your hand without needing the "long tail" that was mentionedTongue

For fore information on our funny looking blade, check out www.SuperCPen.com.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 6:00pm

wide so you are forced to hold the blade in such a way that the normal vector of the blade's surface lies in the plane of rotation of the hand.
I'm confused. I know what a normal vector is but wouldn't rotation happen around an axis and not a plane?
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 6:27pm

I practiced again for two hours today. I spent 15 mins with the SuperCPen S. And then stopped with it to not overstress my wrist and index finger as soon as they felt sore.

That sounds like a good plan. 

Could you elaborate a little more on the dis-comfort problem?  Is it the same as before?  Could you identify the specific spot of the handle/blade that is causing the problem for you index finger (a picture with the spot marked out would be good)?  Is the index finger still being bruised?   And what do you think is the mechanism that is causing your wrist to be streesed?  Any speculation on what is the difference between SuperCPen S and the SuperCPen R modified in these regards?

Rest of the time I used my thumbgrip-modified SuperCPen. I can loop equally strongly with both paddles. But comfort will affect relaxation and better shot selection.

Sounds like the SuperCPen S is an improvement over the SuperCPen R/M for you.  I would think it has potential to over take the thumbgrip-modified SuperCPen, since when I tried similar designs, the thumbgrip is littler restrictive for some shots.  And since you have had much more practice with thumb-grip blades compared to the SuperCPen S.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 6:39pm

wide so you are forced to hold the blade in such a way that the normal vector of the blade's surface lies in the plane of rotation of the hand.
I'm confused. I know what a normal vector is but wouldn't rotation happen around an axis and not a plane?

I would rephrase it as: wide so the natural grip will put the blade face to be coplaner with the the plane defined by the swiping motion of the hand/forehard around the elbow.  This is for the forehand of course.  Not sure if this was what addoydue tried to explain, but is certainly an attribute of the SuperCPen. 
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 8:00pm

I would rephrase it as: wide so the natural grip will put the blade face to be coplaner with the the plane defined by the swiping motion of the hand/forehard around the elbow.  This is for the forehand of course.  Not sure if this was what addoydue tried to explain, but is certainly an attribute of the SuperCPen. 

I was looking for a more general way to say that, because there are many ways to do a swiping motion around the elbow, and only in one case is the swiping plane coplanar with the blade face.  and i think this is not the root characteristic but just a consequence. btw, it is also possible to swing the blade face of a regular Cpen coplanar with the swiping motion -- but you need to bend your wrist to do this.

Yes it was confusing the way I said it. :) First there are infinite normal vectors to a surface, and second it is not clear where is the plane of rotation for an irregular object like a hand.  If you have a sphere rotating about its axis, then the plane of rotation is conventionally the plane of the equator. any plane parallel to the equatorial plane would also be a plane of rotation. basically a plane of rotation is a plane of which the axis of rotation is a normal vector. btw, when i say rotation of the hand, i'm really saying rotation of the wrist, i.e., the rotation axis is the elbow-wrist line.

so a better way to say it is probably:

wide so that in the natural grip you can find a normal vector to the surface of the blade and a plane of rotation of the hand, such that the former lies in the latter.

or another way to say it:

wide so that in the natural grip you can find a normal vector to the surface of the blade that is perpendicular to the elbow-wrist axis.

the consequences of this are:
- you can swing the blade face like a door around the elbow-wrist axis, without wrist flexion or extension
- you can swing the blade with a swiping motion of the forearm about the elbow such that the blade face is coplanar with the swiping motion, without wrist flexion or extension
- you use minimal or no wrist bending to control the blade face angle
- you use minimal or no finger pressure adjustment to control the blade face angle (in the offensive grip)

of course if you use the control grip (for short balls or traditional backhand) then all bets are off, you will need wrist flexion and extension and finger manipulation just like regular Cpen. :)

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2011 at 8:06pm

btw, that earlier bit about the simplified calculation in the brain leading to speed & accuracy .. that was just tongue in cheek :)

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2011 at 5:07am

I was looking for a more general way to say that, because there are many ways to do a swiping motion around the elbow, and only in one case is the swiping plane coplanar with the blade face.  and i think this is not the root characteristic but just a consequence. btw, it is also possible to swing the blade face of a regular Cpen coplanar with the swiping motion -- but you need to bend your wrist to do this.

I think the key point here is the differentiation with respect to the regular CPen - the result that with SuperCPen, the need to bend one's wrist is much minimized for looping shots from both sides.

wide so that in the natural grip you can find a normal vector to the surface of the blade that is perpendicular to the elbow-wrist axis.

the consequences of this are:
- you can swing the blade face like a door around the elbow-wrist axis, without wrist flexion or extension
- you can swing the blade with a swiping motion of the forearm about the elbow such that the blade face is coplanar with the swiping motion, without wrist flexion or extension
- you use minimal or no wrist bending to control the blade face angle
- you use minimal or no finger pressure adjustment to control the blade face angle (in the offensive grip)

of course if you use the control grip (for short balls or traditional backhand) then all bets are off, you will need wrist flexion and extension and finger manipulation just like regular Cpen. :)

You have presented a new way to analyze this.  But the consequences you outlined of the SuperCPen implementation is probably what most people should focus on to understand its advantage.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2011 at 3:48pm

Nice RPB!
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2011 at 4:46pm
Just an update here to those who have followed the thread. 

Recently, I've been playing 100% of the time with the SuperCPen (size S) that Dai redid for me.

For what it's worth (probably not much), finally, I can say my play with the 
SuperCPen (size S), Innerforce ZLC, has exceeded my play with my thumbgrip 
modified SuperCPen, Amultart. 

In other words, I can safely say all strokes are equal to or better than they were with the thumbgrip.

My wrist muscles have adapted. I still have minor index finger issues  but nothing that inhibits performance. 
I can safely say the SuperCPen S handle finally feels natural to me.

Also, I think my thumbgrip blade was a little too fast for me. 
The Amultart is faster than the Innerforce ZLC, which has better control.
This is part of the reason why I have retired my thumbgrip SuperCPen permanently.

Sandiway
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 12:53am

I am glad to hear that!  Not hearing from you for a while, I thought you have given up on it. 

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2011 at 10:59am
It's easy to get repetitive stress injuries with the penhold grip with something as heavy as a two-sided ping pong paddle swiveling/penduluming around. The SuperCPen put unfamiliar stress on my wrist when compared with the thumb grip. Angle adjustments were initially much harder. So it took quite a while to adapt. 
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 2:23am

Recently, I've been playing 100% of the time with the SuperCPen (size S) that Dai redid for me.

In other words, I can safely say all strokes are equal to or better than they were with the thumbgrip.

Sandiway

Could you give a summary comparison of the SuperCPen blade vs a regular CPen blade?  I suspect many people may be unfamilar with your thumb mod, and certainly not many would have first hand experience on the thumb mod blade to compare.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 2:31am

It's easy to get repetitive stress injuries with the penhold grip with something as heavy as a two-sided ping pong paddle swiveling/penduluming around. The SuperCPen put unfamiliar stress on my wrist when compared with the thumb grip. Angle adjustments were initially much harder. So it took quite a while to adapt. 

I would concur with your observation here.  Recently I have been playing with a regular CPen for two reasons.  One I wanted to try out a different and rather expensive blade, so I didn't want to modify it in case I need to sell it.  Two I wanted to see if I can figure out just what is the relative merit of the regular CPen vs my SuperCPen blade.  And shortly after I started with it, I felt strain in my wrist, especially after I tried to RPB block ball to my back/fore hand switching point.  And when one day I tried to push myself up from a chair (grabing the edge with palm down), it cause a huge pain in my wrist and I could not do RPB for days.  This went on for weeks now, but is getting better.  So yes, it appears the SuperCPen blade does produce different stress on the hand than the regular CPen.

Edited by SuperCPen - 08/12/2011 at 2:33am
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2011 at 3:26pm

Sandiway
Could you give a summary comparison of the SuperCPen blade vs a regular CPen blade?  

Sure.

First of all people can read my experience and see the blades on my blog. I've posted the links before. But here they are again.

My thoughts now are:

1. if you like to use RPB on a regular CPen, the thumbgrip will improve your stability and grip without changing your strokes. You get the same great degree of freedom with the wrist as with a regular CPen. If your power and stability is excellent and you can hold and control your wrist perfectly, there is no reason to change to SuperCPen.

2. The SuperCPen S is a change. It forces your wrist into different configurations both on the backhand and forehand. The argument is that the new configurations are more "correct" and "natural". 

However, you will experience a reduced degree of freedom. Particularly if you step in and backhand wrist loop your opponent's short underspin serve.  If you fight the change and continue to use your regular CPen strokes, you will not just play worse, you will hurt yourself. Even if you change your stroke, you will play worse too - simply because the strokes are not the same. However, if you persevere, you may come to like those new configurations and eventually they will become non-fatiguing because your wrist muscles have adapted and you relax and accept the imposed configurations. Eventually you may even think the paddle is a simple extension of the human arm. If so, you have arrived.

And eventually you can forget about the paddle and concentrate on more important and crucial factors like balance and proper footwork...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic