Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SuperCPen -- designed for RPB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 3:06am
Where is the match videos?
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Sponsored Links

lifewire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifewire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 6:49am
Wang Hao's RPB twist, what are the technical movements required for it? I'd love to see a video of it being performed by you.

What do you mean start off with the bat flat btw?
bagung View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 8:59am
looking forward to match video....
thanks...
TB ZLC, Innerforce ZLC, HK3, HH3, HL2 Cpen......
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2011 at 1:39am
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Where is the match videos?

Originally posted by bagung bagung wrote:

looking forward to match video....

They are at the lower part of the page, so scroll down until you see "2010 US National Matchs". 

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2011 at 2:21am
Originally posted by <SPAN id=userPro490533 =msgSidePro title=View Drop Down =showDropDown'userPro490533', 'proMenu490533', 160, 0;>qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

I wonder how does the SuperCPen handle allow one to perform strokes that require extreme wrist action, such as an over the table RPB Twist a la Wang Hao for service receives?
Originally posted by lifewire lifewire wrote:

Wang Hao's RPB twist, what are the technical movements required for it? I'd love to see a video of it being performed by you.

See my feeble attempt at imitating the Wang Hao RPB twist.  Currently the third video from top:

Wang Hao's RPB twist, what are the technical movements required for it?
My notes for the videos above (for both my simpler twist and Wang Hao imitation) may answer part of your question.

What do you mean start off with the bat flat btw?
That is, the paddle face is in a parallel plane as the table surface, with the bh face facing the table and the fh face facing up. 
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2011 at 2:59am

For those who are interested, here is the first feedback I got on the first impression of using a SuperCPen:

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2011 at 3:11pm
This is a great invention. It's always nice to see changes that make the RPB more ergonomic. People have commented on the traditional backhand block becoming difficult with the enlarged width of the handle. Would it be possible to narrow it just slightly to create an optimum for both traditional backhand and RPB? Perhaps you're tried many different widths already, but I feel if you lean toward the RPB too much then the advantage of penhold is lost. The traditional block should be the high percentage stroke and the RPB should remain the high risk/ high reward stroke.
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2011 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

This is a great invention. It's always nice to see changes that make the RPB more ergonomic. People have commented on the traditional backhand block becoming difficult with the enlarged width of the handle. Would it be possible to narrow it just slightly to create an optimum for both traditional backhand and RPB? Perhaps you're tried many different widths already, but I feel if you lean toward the RPB too much then the advantage of penhold is lost. The traditional block should be the high percentage stroke and the RPB should remain the high risk/ high reward stroke.

I recently started playing with the SuperCpen (only a couple times). I'm a shakehand player but about a year ago I spent ~3 months learning "regular" Cpen (not SuperCpen). Even though I am not a Cpen "expert" by any means, I am planning on doing a full-scale review of the SuperCpen in the next few weeks. I didn't want to comment on it until I did my formal review, but I want to address this TBH issue before it gets repeated enough to become a pervasive myth.

Traditional back hand (TBH) with SuperCpen is not more difficult.

Let me say that again:

Traditional back hand (TBH) with SuperCpen is not more difficult.

It is easier. Much easier. In fact, everything with the SuperCpen grip is easier.

Now, a caveat: Because the SuperCpen is somewhat similar to regular Cpen, longtime Cpen players might actually have a difficult time adapting at first. It's always more challenging to change subtle "muscle memory" skills than it is to change more drastic ones. I think it will be a brief transition period, however, and I feel very confident that any Cpen player would come to appreciate the SuperCpen very quickly.

I am coming from a shakehand perspective. Many Cpen players I know can pick up a shakehand blade and play fairly well. However, almost all shakehand players I know cannot pick up a Cpen blade and play well. This, to me, is a pretty strong empirical demonstration that regular Cpen is quite challenging and not immediately intuitive.

However, I can play with my SuperCpen nearly as well as I can play shakehand. That is, every stroke is much, much more intuitive with the SuperCpen grip. Every stroke is also much more stable with this grip.

I don't want to say more because I want to have plenty in my review. I just wanted to say this much to nip this "TBH difficulty" myth in the bud. Dr. Feng is a great guy and his product, so far, appears to be an amazing renovation of the Cpen grip. I hope more people try it.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2011 at 4:12pm
what kind of Dr. is he?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

what kind of Dr. is he?

It says on the SuperCpen website... I think he's got his Ph.D. in engineering or robotics or something from Carnegie Mellon.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2011 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Because the SuperCpen is somewhat similar to regular Cpen, longtime Cpen players might actually have a difficult time adapting at first. It's always more challenging to change subtle "muscle memory" skills than it is to change more drastic ones. I think it will be a brief transition period, however, and I feel very confident that any Cpen player would come to appreciate the SuperCpen very quickly.

Wouldn't it be easier for a longtime cpen player to pick this up? And I also think it is much easier to make a small change (say going from cpen to supercpen) than it is to make a drastic change (shakehand to supercpen for example).

For penhold, there is always a slight changing of the grip between FH, TBH, and RPB. The SuperCpen to me seems like it allows greater range for changing the grip and face angle as it gives you a longer lever for twisting the blade.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2011 at 6:24pm

Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Because the SuperCpen is somewhat similar to regular Cpen, longtime Cpen players might actually have a difficult time adapting at first. It's always more challenging to change subtle "muscle memory" skills than it is to change more drastic ones. I think it will be a brief transition period, however, and I feel very confident that any Cpen player would come to appreciate the SuperCpen very quickly.

Wouldn't it be easier for a longtime cpen player to pick this up? And I also think it is much easier to make a small change (say going from cpen to supercpen) than it is to make a drastic change (shakehand to supercpen for example).

Well, I definitely agree that an experienced Cpen player could adapt faster than a new player just trying Cpen for the first time. However, for someone like me who has played Cpen before and who has a basic understanding of the grip without the years and years of muscle memory, then I think the benefits of the SuperCpen are more obvious. It's just easier. In my studies of cog neuro, I know that minor adjustments are often more difficult between two things that are very similar but still different enough to be "different". Does that make sense? In other words, making changes between two domains that don't overlap is easier than making changes between two domains that do have some overlap. I hope I'm explaining that well enough.

For penhold, there is always a slight changing of the grip between FH, TBH, and RPB. The SuperCpen to me seems like it allows greater range for changing the grip and face angle as it gives you a longer lever for twisting the blade.

Precisely! It's the difference between driving a car with a steering wheel that is 6 inches in diameter (i.e., traditional Cpen) and driving a car with a steering wheel that's 18 inches in diameter (SuperCpen). The 6 inch steering wheel can be managed, of course, and given enough practice someone can be very good at it. However, having a steering wheel that's a good 18 inches in diameter is both easier right from the start and easier overall.

Also, the grip causes slight angle changes, which is what makes the RPB and the forehand much more intuitive. I'm using up all the points I was going to put into my review Disapprove... but I'm happy to talk about this product Smile. I'm strongly leaning toward forsaking shakehand altogether due to the ease of use of this grip and the added utility of the Cpen that it gives me.

In short, so far the SuperCpen grip seems to bridge the gap between shakehand and Cpen. You get all the flexibility, touch, short game advantages (and other advantages) of the Cpen game, but you get the much more intuitive angles, the stability, and (in my experience) increased power of the shakehand game. 

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 02/15/2011 at 8:52pm
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 10:29am
I can simulate the superCpen grip by holding a regular cpen with only my thumb and back fingers and with the forefinger NOT hooked around the handle, just atraight along or near the side of the blade. You can sometimes see Wang Hao do this - release the forefinger hook. With this grip the angle of the blade in your hand is similar to what you get with superCpen. This is not as secure as having a finger hook though.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 12:02pm

I can simulate the superCpen grip by holding a regular cpen with only my thumb and back fingers and with the forefinger NOT hooked around the handle, just atraight along or near the side of the blade. You can sometimes see Wang Hao do this - release the forefinger hook. With this grip the angle of the blade in your hand is similar to what you get with superCpen. This is not as secure as having a finger hook though.

I mean this with all due respect Smile:  You can "simulate" all you want, but until you've played with the grip then you haven't played with the grip. Wink

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "release the forefinger hook". As shown on the SuperCpen website, your forefinger still grips the handle. In fact, when doing TBH, your forefinger has a lot more to grip and your thumb has much more leverage, which makes the TBH easier to transition to and more stable as you hold it.

When doing a forehand stroke, your forefinger is still gripping the handle. The thumb has much more to hold on to and you can more easily adjust your angle. Same for RPB. I'm quite honest when I say that there really is no "major" difference between a regular Cpen and SuperCpen except that SuperCpen makes everything much easier.

I would go so far as to say that it's not just "my opinion". I'm confident that if we could somehow measure the ease of use, via leverage points or hand biomechanical properties (which I don't know how we could, but hypothetically), then we could conclude that the SuperCpen is objectively a better grip for the Chinese penhold style. Strong words, I know, and I don't mean to be provocative, but I really think that's the case.

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 1:47pm
relax man, no need to be so protective of the design, lol. I'm pointing out to prospective users how they may visualize or simulate what supercpen can do.

release the finger hook - this is with normal cpen. I'm saying you can get the benefits of supercpen (better blade angles) using normal cpen, but you do this in a less secure manner. In other words, supercpen solves this problem. You no longer need to release the finger hook, a la Wang Hao, to do open rpb.

of course Wang Hao became #1 while contending with sometimes having to rlease the finger hook. This can be interpreted as the finger hook release being a non-issue, or as "imagine how much easier or longer he would have been #e without the handicap." :)
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 3:01pm

relax man, no need to be so protective of the design, lol. I'm pointing out to prospective users how they may visualize or simulate what supercpen can do.

release the finger hook - this is with normal cpen. I'm saying you can get the benefits of supercpen (better blade angles) using normal cpen, but you do this in a less secure manner. In other words, supercpen solves this problem. You no longer need to release the finger hook, a la Wang Hao, to do open rpb.

of course Wang Hao became #1 while contending with sometimes having to rlease the finger hook. This can be interpreted as the finger hook release being a non-issue, or as "imagine how much easier or longer he would have been #e without the handicap." :)

LOL I suppose I do look protective. I don't mean to be too zealous. LOL

I just think it's very innovative and makes it much easier to be successful with the Cpen grip (which I personally think has the potential to be the "superior" grip in TT). I also think Dr. Feng is a really nice and sincere person. Given those two things, I just want to do my best to help his product get a fair shake before people who haven't even tried it start shooting it down. (I'm not saying that you are, I'm just saying that some people work that way... and it's natural and healthy to be skeptical. But coming to conclusions based on speculation is just a little hasty. That's all I'm trying to get at... not meaning to be too "aggressive", lol.)

Ultimately, I still stand by my claim that until you play with it, you can't really know. I do know that Dr. Feng is willing to let people try his model (presumably with a returnable deposit so he doesn't get ripped off). So I definitely suggest that anyone who might be interested should give it a try.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 6:02pm
It's good to be protective as it is a patent pending design. I don't know if the patent office will grant a patent though as a wide, flat handle may be too broad of a claim. Perhaps the idea of selling a product to modify a standard cpen blade into supercpen handle can be patented. However, if it turns out to be a superior design, blade manufacturers would simply widen the baseboard with thinner, wider handle pieces and it will be a cleaner design (no screws, less assembly, and less weight).
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2011 at 6:14pm

It's good to be protective as it is a patent pending design. I don't know if the patent office will grant a patent though as a wide, flat handle may be too broad of a claim. Perhaps the idea of selling a product to modify a standard cpen blade into supercpen handle can be patented. However, if it turns out to be a superior design, blade manufacturers would simply widen the baseboard with thinner, wider handle pieces and it will be a cleaner design (no screws, less assembly, and less weight).

You may very well be correct. I don't know anything about patents, etc. If it does catch on, I hope Dr. Feng gets credit in some way since he seems to be the main proponent (not to mention designer) of the product. But that's for the bureaucrats to decide, I guess. 

One thing I'd like to address really quick though: When I purchased my "upgrade" handle Wink, Dr. Feng did not use screws. There is a pic on his site that shows the final product. It is glued on and is of the highest quality. Literally looks like it came that way from the factory.

Also, it is not heavy. I sent him an 80.0g YE to modify, and it came back a 79.3g SuperCpen YE. Smile Almost a full gram (0.7g) lighter than the handle that came with it.

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 02/17/2011 at 3:57am
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2011 at 3:49am

Was off on a trip for a couple of days, all those lively discussions I missed!

It is so nice to see people objectively discussing issues instead of making subjective conclusion without first hand experience on a subject.  And thank you Anton for your support!  I am really happy you found SuperCPen to be a helpful product.

I thought I will share a few observations from my development work on the handle. 

One the width of the handle -- both Sweetstrike and Anton has hit right on one of the reasons I made it so wide.  It gives you better control and precision because of the increased leverage.  I did quite a bit of experimentation with this, and choose the width I believe would provide the optimal trade off.  From the look of it, the width would not be good for doing TBH.  That was what I thought too until I tried it.  It is quite counter intuitive how this could be.  But once you have tried it, I believe you will be convinced.  I am more comfortable about saying this now, because Anton had independently confirmed it.

I also agree with Anton that it could be easier for a shakehand player to adapted to the SuperCPen than a CPen layer with a fine tuned strokes.  Anton already gave an excellent explanation for how this may be.  I, however, have personal antidotal evidence for this.  I had being play a short pip pen hold game based on flat hitting.  At one time I switched to shakehand and learning the forehand loop turned out to be much easier than with the penhold.  This was because the change was so big with shakehand grip, that I could not possibly slip back into a flat hitting blade angle like I was prone in doing when looping with a penhold.  Even today in a game, my shots under stress will turn to more like a hit than a loop.

The SuperCPen is designed to provide a very secure and stable grip, that is, it minimizes relative motion between the blade and the players hand.  This way, the blade is always at an angle that you intended it to be.  Many people seem to think that the traditional CPen, being easy to move around in you grip, provide more "flexibility" so it is good.  My humble opinion is that this is exactly what you don't want if you want to achieve consistent strokes.  Of course this does not mean it is impossible to achieve consistent strokes using CPen.  Wang Hao has done it.  But who knows if he wouldn't have gotten where he is sooner and easier if he had something better?

My education backround was one important factor that led me to come up with the SuperCPen.  My degree was in Electrical and Computer Engineering with a specialization in Control System Theory as applied to Robotics.  In this field we study the equations of motion, which describe how force results in motion.  One goal is to come up a way to apply the force under dynamic and kinematic constraints to achieve optimal trajectory under some criteria.  This training guided me along in the various iterations of the SuperCPen, so that each change has some analytical reasoning for direction, rather than a purely random trial and error process. 

Later...

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2011 at 6:08am
It would be good to hear from a long time penhold looper give his two cents about this blade. Not to discredit Anton's insights and reviews, but he is a recent shakehand-to-penhold player. Whilst Dr. Feng has his obvious biases, and even so he started off as a penhold hitter. Even under his own admission and by carefully reviewing his match videos, his strokes tend to be flat-hits and smashes (I understand it is a difficult habit to break). I urge any penhold loopers to try out this blade and give us their thoughts.

The reason behind this is the likely fact that most people who would try this blade are penholders that are already two-winged loopers and/or those who are looking for an alternative blade to develop their RPB. It is unlikely that someone who has just started playing penhold to jump right into the SuperCPen (with the exception being Anton).

What I'm looking for here is a looper's comparative review between the SuperCPen and regular CPen. I would even settle for a JPen player's review of this design in order to see if it performs well when being played "traditionally", meaning using only TBH and FH, which Dr. Feng says is just as simple if not better to perform on the SuperCPen.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2011 at 9:28am
most people who would try this blade are exactly those who are frustrated penhold 2-wing loopers, or those who are having trouble with RPB..  Those who are already accomplished 2-wing loopers in penhold will ptobably not find anything wrong with regular cpen.

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2011 at 9:50am

most people who would try this blade are exactly those who are frustrated penhold 2-wing loopers, or those who are having trouble with RPB..  Those who are already accomplished 2-wing loopers in penhold will ptobably not find anything wrong with regular cpen.

That's not necessarily the case. You can be a well-rounded two-wing penhold looper and still be curious enough to try out the blade, I mean, why wouldn't you, if it's as superior as it's been promised to be? There are those who might want to try it to improve their game, as well as those who will want to try it for fun, such as Anton.

I used to play penhold and I am interested as well, but like I stated earlier, I just want to hear some more reviews from penhold looper's perspective. Either if you are frustrated by RPB or already quite adept at it, your thoughts and comments would do us all and Dr. Feng some good.

Edited by qynthnghm - 02/17/2011 at 9:52am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2011 at 10:06am
I am quite impressed watching the TBH block video.   I wish there is a close up picture on the grip when doing the TBH block, and also a short video on switching back and forth between FH loop and TBH block, as this switching is the most difficult part in playing penhold, and what most penhold players, even accomplished players, practice virtually everyday.
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 4:42am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

It would be good to hear from a long time penhold looper give his two cents about this blade.

If I arrange something, would you think it is biased? 

It is unlikely that someone who has just started playing penhold to jump right into the SuperCPen (with the exception being Anton).

My aim is actually to get new players using it, because I think they could have get most benefit -- they will learn penhold faster and easier.

... meaning using only TBH and FH, which Dr. Feng says is just as simple if not better to perform on the SuperCPen.

Hummm, I don't think that was how I putted it.  I don't think I ever said anything about using only TBH and FH.  In fact, the video I made and all the thing I wrote was about doing TBH and switching between TBH and RBH.  Indeed, the TBH was very easy to do with SuperCPen for me, and is easier when compared to traditional CPen, but again this was for me.  I want to make it clear that I am not making any broad claim that this will be the case for everyone at this time, simple because there is not yet enough data to show that.  (But at least we have two data points now, thanks to Anton.)

Now back to the original topic of using only TBH and FH.  If we have two group of identical people, one learns TBH and FH from scratch using traditional CPen and the other using SuperCPen, I believe, the SuperCPen group will not be at any disadvantage.  However, if a person has already developed a game based on TBH and FH only, then I don't think there is much to gain for him to switch to SuperCPen.  This was really not what SuperCPen designed for.  If he wants to start doing RPB, then I would recommend him trying the SuperCPen.  Just to make my position clear.
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 4:51am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I am quite impressed watching the TBH block video.   I wish there is a close up picture on the grip when doing the TBH block, and also a short video on switching back and forth between FH loop and TBH block, as this switching is the most difficult part in playing penhold, and what most penhold players, even accomplished players, practice virtually everyday.

For a close up of the grip for doing TBH block, see the video at the very bottom of the "How to grip SuperCPen page". 

May be I will have to be make a video of doing a TBH block / FH drill.

Edited by SuperCPen - 02/18/2011 at 4:57am
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 10:13am
Originally posted by SuperCPen SuperCPen wrote:

It would be good to hear from a long time penhold looper give his two cents about this blade.

If I arrange something, would you think it is biased? 

It is unlikely that someone who has just started playing penhold to jump right into the SuperCPen (with the exception being Anton).

My aim is actually to get new players using it, because I think they could have get most benefit -- they will learn penhold faster and easier.

... meaning using only TBH and FH, which Dr. Feng says is just as simple if not better to perform on the SuperCPen.

Hummm, I don't think that was how I putted it.  I don't think I ever said anything about using only TBH and FH.  In fact, the video I made and all the thing I wrote was about doing TBH and switching between TBH and RBH.  Indeed, the TBH was very easy to do with SuperCPen for me, and is easier when compared to traditional CPen, but again this was for me.  I want to make it clear that I am not making any broad claim that this will be the case for everyone at this time, simple because there is not yet enough data to show that.  (But at least we have two data points now, thanks to Anton.)

Now back to the original topic of using only TBH and FH.  If we have two group of identical people, one learns TBH and FH from scratch using traditional CPen and the other using SuperCPen, I believe, the SuperCPen group will not be at any disadvantage.  However, if a person has already developed a game based on TBH and FH only, then I don't think there is much to gain for him to switch to SuperCPen.  This was really not what SuperCPen designed for.  If he wants to start doing RPB, then I would recommend him trying the SuperCPen.  Just to make my position clear.

In response to the three quotations:

1. If you arranged a verbal testimonial from a penhold looper? Yes, I would think it is biased. How would we [members of the forum] be able to prove its reliability? I would leave the testimonials to the forum members. However, I would be more than happy to see another match video, maybe between two players using SuperCPen or one regular CPen RPB looper vs. SuperCPen. I would particularly enjoy a video of Anton using his SuperCPen.

2. I believe you're partially right here. While your long term goal is to get new players to learn penhold, it is still unlikely that they would start off using a SuperCPen instead of a regular CPen unless it was tried and true for a significant period of time. There is also the fact that SuperCPen is currently only available through you at the moment, and that many beginner players will have not or may never hear about it. They will just be too skeptical initially, and that's why you have a lot of work ahead of you. Please don't think that my posts here are in any way to tarnish the SuperCPen, I just like to play devil's advocate.

If the SuperCPen would help beginner's learn penhold faster and easier, would you recommend it for a child? Would a child's hand be large enough to hold the handle? If not, would you say the SuperCPen is only for adult beginners?

3. You're right, scrap the idea about JPen users review.

Lastly, I must say that day by day I am growing more interested in trying out your mod. Perhaps if the price is right, I might be tempted into converting a blade. Would you PM me for an estimate?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 1:58pm

...I would particularly enjoy a video of Anton using his SuperCPen.

I might be able to arrange that, but it will take some time and I make no promises as of right now. Smile

I injured my back pretty severely last night at practice so I need to let that heal. I would also like to practice a bit more with my SuperCpen before I post any video. I'd like to give the best representation of this product as possible and I'd hate for anyone to discredit this grip based simply on my inabilities. Wink

I had planned on writing a "formal" review of this grip and pondered putting a video in... if only to show that a shakehand player with very limited Cpen experience can pick this grip up and do reasonably well in a fairly short period of time. Maybe in the next few weeks I'll be able to do this.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2011 at 3:21pm
The size of the blade handle would have to be sized to fit a persons hand just like a violin for kids.

I think there is great promise in the design. I may modify one of my blades to try it out.  Smile
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2011 at 4:06am

However, I would be more than happy to see another match video, maybe between two players using SuperCPen or one regular CPen RPB looper vs. SuperCPen.

I have been thinking about how to arrange something like this.  May be I can pull something together.

If the SuperCPen would help beginner's learn penhold faster and easier, would you recommend it for a child? Would a child's hand be large enough to hold the handle? If not, would you say the SuperCPen is only for adult beginners?

A child probably not.  It will have to be a junior version of the SuperCPen as suggested in the last post.  But it should be fine for a young adult.  When I chose the particular width for the current version of the SuperCPen, this was part of the consideration.

All good points...
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
Slade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 6:16am
I've attempted penhold seriously in the past and still mess around with it for fun randomly. I could never get comfortable with the grip itself (C-Pen, J-Pen, or J-Pen double/reverse) - the hold itself, not the style, strokes, etc. I usually enjoy the traditional backhand (looping even), but this looks interesting. Planning to have one made with a YE + Red Diamond FH. Unsure about BH/RPB, maybe Outlaw because I'm lazy and have some in black laying around but the overall thickness sounds a little high, maybe weight too. Should be fun.
USATT 1700 ··· 11/02/2013   ◄ ПЕШ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic