Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

SuperCPen -- designed for RPB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SuperCPen -- designed for RPB
    Posted: 01/22/2011 at 5:09pm
Hi,

I have been leanring the reverse penhold backhand (RPB or is it PRB?) for a while.  One big problem I had was that I could never get the my grip into a natural and comfortable position for doing the RPB.  After struggling with that for a while, I came up with a modification to the Chinese Penhold which made it especially suitable for RPB.  I works great for me, and I continue to learn more things it can do.  I hope more people will use it, so if you have some interest, please visit my website for more info: www.SuperCPen.com.  Check out my blog too, where I document my progress with using this new blade design.

Edited by SuperCPen - 01/23/2011 at 4:46am
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
Sponsored Links

atin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 5:35pm
Interesting, I understand the point of making the handle flatter that the angle is better for rpb.
But the handle looks a bit wide.
Might give it a try if you sell the blue handle seperate because I already have some woodplies of Hurricane Hao, DHS PG2 and PG3 without the handles where I can glue the blue handle on if possible
I will send you a email
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 11:43pm
Hi Atin,

Yes, I can sell you a handle, but only unpainted ones (just like the one attached to the PG3 version on my site).  You don't want the blue one which I dyed with blue ink that comes off. 

I like to help anyone interested in trying it to get one, what ever the arrangement works for you, I will try to work it out with you.  I like to hear peoples' feedback one they have tried it.
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 12:35am
I may contact you in the future. This looks interesting! I'm a shakehand player but I tried Cpen for about 3 months. I actually found the RPB technique to be much easier than the forehand because to get the same angle I had to swing my arm differently. But the way your handle seems to close the angle easier on the forehand is intriguing. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.  Smile

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 4:55am
Thank you Anton, I hope you will give it a try some times.

At the first sight, just about everyone will react to the SuperCPen like Atin: this thing is wide!  We are so used to the traditional blades with the "skinny" Smile handle, the SuperCPen will definitely feel wide in comparision.  But once you have used it for a while, it won't bother you any more.  And you will appreciate the many advantages that come go along with this extra width.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 9:27am
One disadvantage: you lose the superior short game control of normal penhold. Also if you are not 100% using RPB, then traditional penhold blocking is harder.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 5:16am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

One disadvantage: you lose the superior short game control of normal penhold. Also if you are not 100% using RPB, then traditional penhold blocking is harder.
Sharp observation.  Yes, if I hold the blade in the grip I described on my website as of now, it is not as good for short pushs (I didn't realize this until my lesson with Stellan because how I played the short pushs).  However, for for RPB flip (really a short loop) I find SuperCPen far suprior.  My lesson with Stellan had me trying out a modified grip for short games that will be essentially be the same as the normal penhold, I believe -- I will be updating my web site with this new info soon.  I hope you can comment again after the update.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
Vilem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vilem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 6:28am
Only my opinionSmile
..a classic C-Pen handle is suitable great for RPB, I mean as comfortable and very useful. Who cant play with it RPB, it will not have a good RPB with SuperCPen. The wide handle is more suitable but no significant difference and bring many limitations, difficult and uncomfortable motion of fingers at traditional c-pen backhand block, bh flip, agressive hits, smash etc...
Its too wide, generally does not maneuver your fingers around the wide handle, in any events, not fast and quicky.
Sure, SuperCpen wide handle it's very appropriate for RBB, but that's all.
Not to be angry about me, just my opinion ... I cant imagine playing with this seriously...
use YE & YEO cpen
Fh:DHS old or NEO Skyline TG2 40° 2.2mm black
RPB:Butterfly Sriver EL 2.0mm

use YE & YEO cpen
Fh:DHS old or NEO Skyline TG3 40° 2.2mm black
RPB:Yasaka Mark V 2.2mm red
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 1:53pm
I don't mean to sound rude in any way, but I find it interesting that some people are so certain about their dismissal of this innovation without ever even holding one in their hand, let alone playing with one. If you read about the development of this grip on the website, you'll find that the developer is a highly educated person (from a very reputable university) in fields very relevant to the grip's development. It may have some weaknesses, sure. But to be so critical without ever even trying it seems a bit hasty. (I do realize that everyone has been respectful in their criticism, which is great! I just think it's a bit preemptive if you've never even tried the grip. Wink)

I just purchased a YE Cpen and will be contacting SuperCPen next month about retrofitting my blade. I'm excited to give it a try, even if it may have some kinks to work out. Smile

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 2:22pm
I have played with penhold RPB for over 2 years and went through similar experimentation trying to find a more ergonpmic rpb. It was not so much a dismissal but an observation (which the inventor graciously described as "sharp" btw). Sometimes it is possible to do a visualization without actually trying it and see disadvantages. In this case it is not actually hard to simulate how a wide cpen handle would feel like. Just grip you regular cpen further into the head of the blade so that your finge rand thumb is hooking around the wider part of the blade. You can try it now and immediately see your traditional backhand blocking is gone (minor issue if intent is to use rpb exclusively). Bigger issue is less flexibility with short game control. I'm interested in the workaround mentioned by the inventor thoug. I have an inkling how it migt be but would like to see.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 3:09pm

I have played with penhold RPB for over 2 years and went through similar experimentation trying to find a more ergonpmic rpb. It was not so much a dismissal but an observation (which the inventor graciously described as "sharp" btw). Sometimes it is possible to do a visualization without actually trying it and see disadvantages. In this case it is not actually hard to simulate how a wide cpen handle would feel like. Just grip you regular cpen further into the head of the blade so that your finge rand thumb is hooking around the wider part of the blade. You can try it now and immediately see your traditional backhand blocking is gone (minor issue if intent is to use rpb exclusively). Bigger issue is less flexibility with short game control. I'm interested in the workaround mentioned by the inventor thoug. I have an inkling how it migt be but would like to see.

I agree.  Even wo the modified handle, you can hold the racket in such a way to always commit to rpb, and FL loop (like Wang Hao), this was how I played.  But I figured that with this type of grip I loose the quickness of the traditional block, and may as well play shake hand, and this was the reason why I switched.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 3:39pm

Fair enough. Smile For me, I'm quite excited about trying it simply because it addresses some issues I had during my brief foray into Cpen. My RPB wasn't bad but the angle difference for the forehand was really difficult to adapt to. Also, I felt like I lost some power... and that the racket was always in danger of slipping out of my hand. This seems to address all those issues.

I can certainly see how traditional backhand would suffer, but I think that point is moot because the developer's whole intent was to make the RPB easier (as well as other aspects of Cpen). Also, I don't plan on doing the traditional backhand so that's not as much of a concern for me. However, I'm still not convinced that there would a major loss of flexibility in the short game. It may be true, but I'll have to try it to find out.

The things I like about Cpen is that I was able to generate more spin due to wrist flexibility and that changing angles at the last second seems much easier (i.e., Cpen seems better suited for deceptive strategies, especially on the backhand). The things I didn't like were that the grip seemed less stable, there was a notable loss in power (not terrible, but noticeable) and that the angle for forehand looping was awkward. This grip seems to bridge the gap between shakehand and Cpen, even if it might lose a little of the benefits of Cpen (but not all).

Again though, I'll soon see if this is the case... at least for me. Smile

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 4:44pm
On the bright side, if this grip ever became popular think of the beautiful handles that would result. LOL As wide as that thing is, it's like a mini-canvas that could be a place for inlays and other nice accents... as opposed to putting designs on the face of the blade (like some companies do) where they'll just be covered with rubber. Confused

bravefest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravefest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 10:33pm
While this does look interesting, I don't think it's needed.  Wang Hao was the #1 player in the world with a regular old Cpen.  If that type of blade were a huge disadvantage, he never would have gotten so high.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by bravefest bravefest wrote:

While this does look interesting, I don't think it's needed.  Wang Hao was the #1 player in the world with a regular old Cpen.  If that type of blade were a huge disadvantage, he never would have gotten so high.

I absolutely agree. With really hard work and dedication, one can overcome some of the awkwardness mentioned on SuperCPen's site and rise to the very top. (And I do think that there is some merit to SuperCPen's analysis that the Cpen grip can be less intuitive and more challenging than shakehand. I experienced it firsthand and I know of others who have mentioned it too, even Cpen players). Therefore, if Cpen can be made more intuitive, etc., then I don't see any harm in it. In fact people might pick it up more often.

So I agree, there is nothing "wrong" with Cpen as it currently is, as demonstrated by Wang Hao, Xu Xin, Ma Lin, etc. But, in my opinion, there is also nothing wrong with experimenting a bit and trying to make Cpen a little less challenging to pick up and a little more intuitive to play with.

For example, houses used to be built with hammers, nails, and hand saws. It can definitely be done, even though today it's a little easier with nail guns and power saws.

But I'm speculating on this new grip's ease. I haven't tried it yet so it might not be that different. At this point I'm just excited by the idea and am "arguing" in favor of it in principle. Smile

SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 3:46am

At this point, all that I have shared on my website about SuperCPen are my personal experiences.  I tried to document what I find as advantages that have helped my game.  I try to be as objective as possible in my presentations, but I recognize that people may find that difficult to believe.  However, I am convinced that most people, if open minded and willing to experiment, will find similar advantages as I did of the SuperCPen.  I hope few of them will come along and give it a try.  I will let them be the judges.

Hi Anton, tried to send you a message, but your mail box is full.  Could you send me an email at [email protected]?

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 6:15am
Neato. I wonder how much better would it be if the handle was tapered toward the end, sort of a triangular shape in order to reduce weight (which I find very important for penholders, especially RPB users)and even allow for the possibility of a traditional backhand. I also wonder how would this handle affect service. Would it be more difficult to impart spin since the position of the hand is now further away from the blade face? I speculate that certain false motions a la Ma Lin might not be as easy to execute.

All in all, it's an interesting modification and I'd like to try one for myself.
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 2:30am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Neato. I wonder how much better would it be if the handle was tapered toward the end, sort of a triangular shape in order to reduce weight (which I find very important for penholders, especially RPB users)and even allow for the possibility of a traditional backhand. I also wonder how would this handle affect service. Would it be more difficult to impart spin since the position of the hand is now further away from the blade face? I speculate that certain false motions a la Ma Lin might not be as easy to execute.

All in all, it's an interesting modification and I'd like to try one for myself.

I tried taper designs, in both directions.  That didn’t work as well as straight for my preference. 

The SuperCPen should weigh very similar to a traditional CPen.  Using my modified HHao as an example, both came in with a gram at around 86g.  But the SuperCPen handle is longer by about ¼”.  And the HHao handle is probably a little thicker compared to other brands.

I do mostly standard forehand serves.  Switching to the SuperCPen required some adjustment which was pretty easy for me.  Mostly I just moved my contact point a bit behind relative to my body.  I adjusted my standing position by moving forward so the contact point relative to the table was the same.  Serving is one strong aspects of my game, so I don’t want to compromise on that.  I don’t think I have with SuperCPen, judging by my opponents reactions.

You are the second person who has made an acute observation, that in the SuperCPen, CG of blade is moved further from your hand.  This does make it a little more difficult if you want to swirl the paddle around as part of the serve to create deception, but it also allows you to impart more spin by using your wrist because of the higher linear speed you can generate.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 2:48am
Originally posted by SuperCPen SuperCPen wrote:

At this point, all that I have shared on my website about SuperCPen are my personal experiences.  I tried to document what I find as advantages that have helped my game.  I try to be as objective as possible in my presentations, but I recognize that people may find that difficult to believe.  However, I am convinced that most people, if open minded and willing to experiment, will find similar advantages as I did of the SuperCPen.  I hope few of them will come along and give it a try.  I will let them be the judges.

Hi Anton, tried to send you a message, but your mail box is full.  Could you send me an email at [email protected]?

Sorry about the full inbox!

I purchased a Yasaka Gatien Extra Cpen to have modified using your design. I will contact you when I receive it and am ready to get started.

However, I have a question...  I noticed that you used some bolts to connect the SuperCPen handle to the blade. I have a friend who is an excellent fabricator/woodworker and I think he might be able to come up with a better way of adhering the new handle, such as dadoing the handle so the blade fits snugly inside and then adhering another thin piece to the other side to completely hide the blade. He could use a very light wood to cut down on the weight, and I ordered a particularly light YE (it weighs 80g).

My question is:

Would you mind if I used your idea but simply installed the handle a little differently on my own?

My friend may be too busy to do it, but if he can do it that way then I would still tell anyone who asked that it is your product/idea, etc. and I would direct them to your website if they wanted to try one. Since you have trademarked the idea and seem very enthusiastic about it, I wouldn't want to step on your toes. But at the same time I'd like to try this method of installation, with your permission. If you'd feel more comfortable doing it yourself then I understand and would be happy to pay the very reasonable fee for you to do it.

Thanks.

SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 3:57am

Hi Anton,

The picture you saw with bolts is my development blade, so I can try out different design easily.  Since it works fine, I never bothered to glue it.

The handle I am making available for the general public will be permanently attached to the blade by gluing.  The blade itself at this point is made using a numerically control milling machine, with precisely cut faces and a channel in the back for embedding the blade handle.  The back side will have a thin sheet of cork for a comfortable feel.  There is a reason for each line and angle of the handle geometry, after countless number of experiments.  I am sure your friend is an excellent fabricator, but he will not be able to produce a good handle for you without some serious trials and errors.  Unless he is willing to work through multiple iterations, I doubt he can duplicate what I have. 

Please take a look at my website again.  http://www.supercpen.com/get--use-one.html.  I just update the picture of the blade I modified to show what you or anyone would get if you get it from me.  Earlier it didn’t link to a larger picture, now it does.  I can get even more detailed pictures send to you if you like.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you permission to make my design, because there is no way for me to draw the line where to stop.  However, if you want to duplicate it without my permission, that is your decision. 

Perhaps, we should best discuss this through email?  [email protected].

In any case, I am most thankful for your enthusiasm about my handle design.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 4:06am
Originally posted by SuperCPen SuperCPen wrote:

Hi Anton,

The picture you saw with bolts is my development blade, so I can try out different design easily.  Since it works fine, I never bothered to glue it.

The handle I am making available for the general public will be permanently attached to the blade by gluing.  The blade itself at this point is made using a numerically control milling machine, with precisely cut faces and a channel in the back for embedding the blade handle.  The back side will have a thin sheet of cork for a comfortable feel.  There is a reason for each line and angle of the handle geometry, after countless number of experiments.  I am sure your friend is an excellent fabricator, but he will not be able to produce a good handle for you without some serious trials and errors.  Unless he is willing to work through multiple iterations, I doubt he can duplicate what I have. 

Please take a look at my website again.  http://www.supercpen.com/get--use-one.html.  I just update the picture of the blade I modified to show what you or anyone would get if you get it from me.  Earlier it didn’t link to a larger picture, now it does.  I can get even more detailed pictures send to you if you like.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you permission to make my design, because there is no way for me to draw the line where to stop.  However, if you want to duplicate it without my permission, that is your decision. 

Perhaps, we should best discuss this through email?  [email protected].

In any case, I am most thankful for your enthusiasm about my handle design.

Thanks for those pictures. I think I kind of ignored them since the link wasn't working previously. Yes, that looks fine, and you make a good point about your special knowledge about what works.

Also, I can appreciate the effort you've put into this so I respect your wish that I not do something on my own. And I won't. Smile

Again, I will contact you via email just as soon as I receive my blade. Thanks so much for your time.

SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2011 at 3:50am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Again, I will contact you via email just as soon as I receive my blade. Thanks so much for your time.

And thank your for your interest in SuperCPen!  Hope to hear from you soon.
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2011 at 4:07am
When I was working on the SuperCPen designs, my intention was for it to be fully optimized for RPB.  Along the way, I found that the same design parameters will optimize the handle for both RPB and forehand loops.  My personal goal was to switch to 100% RP for backhand.  I didn't think I could hit the traditional backhand block with SuperCPen. 

Up until tonight, I have never tried a traditional penhold block using the SuperCPen.  Since so many people are talking about not being able to make the traditional block is such a bad thing for SuperCPen (of course I don't think so Smile), I decided to try out what SuperCPen can do.  I did 6 1.5 minute drills doing traditional backhandk block, what I found was a complete surprise.  I taped the last two sessions and will get it uploaded to my website by this weekend.  That was the first and last time I will do any traditional blocks.  I sure don't want a way to deviate from my goal of 100% RPB.

I will let everyone know when I get the video uploaded.
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 1:52am
I have updated my website to include informations on the SuperCPen grip to use for short game and traditional block.  A blog entry was added that gave the background on how I got started on investigating this grip.  In addition, I have uploaded two videos showing how easily the SuperCPen can be used to do the traditional backhand block and control for short game.

Would like to hear what everyone thinks.

http://www.supercpen.com/video-supercpen-in-action.html -- traditional block and short push

Edited by SuperCPen - 01/31/2011 at 1:55am
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 2:32am
It would be very interesting to see how it behaves in a real game.
TT_haru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_haru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2011 at 2:39am
Traditional block is also done by pressing down using the thumb.
The strength of penhold IMO is the flexibility of the wrist movement. With it, there are alot of strokes. Like side-spin flip on both FH & BH, FH/BH sideswing, traditional BH topspin/sidespin, etc. As long as the grip is comfortable and no hindrance, I guess it is okay and up to individual ... 
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2011 at 4:24am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

It would be very interesting to see how it behaves in a real game.

I just uploaded one game from my 2010 US National U1600RR event.  More to follow.  Very slow upload.

Originally posted by TT_haru TT_haru wrote:

As long as the grip is comfortable and no hindrance, I guess it is okay and up to individual ...

I think the wide handle automatically makes people think it will be of hindrance, for psychological reason because poeple are so used to narrower handles.  Once I get over that, it was perfect fine for me (well it does take some adjustment).  Now I start to think the normal handles look wiredBig smile
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2011 at 4:26am
Uploaded two matches that I thought I played OK.  Like to hear some comments...
SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2011 at 6:43am
You have a fast RPB, more of a hitting stroke. I would like to see it used away from the table more during your robot sessions, or its ability to loop backspin. But I am no longer skeptical about being able to perform the traditional backhand block (TBB) anymore! I was also watching your services closely and I am satisfied by the amount of spin and deception you could pull off.

Because this is a match scenario, the lines are really getting blurred between judging the capability of the SuperCPen and your own. I feel that many times, especially in the second game against B. Hong, both your FH and BH were too passive and reduced to simply blocking. You did open some loops from the BH side very well, but not often enough and without very much wrist action involved.

In the third and last game, your blocking became more active and along with your service (which was the strongest past of your game), you won a couple of nice points. You could have easily won if you stuck with this strategy, but alas Hong's shot quality was too good! It seems you were also getting fairly frustrated near the end, especially with a few missed services.

I wonder how does the SuperCPen handle allow one to perform strokes that require extreme wrist action, such as an over the table RPB Twist a la Wang Hao for service receives?

I feel that if you were more aggressive it would suit the SuperCPen better. Some of the RPB's were very quick and nicely executed with seemingly no trouble, however, some of the blocking (and even pushing) often returned the ball too high, which you might think would not happen because of the more closed angle nature of the SuperCPen. Again, this is turning more into an evaluation of your skill over the performance of the SuperCPen, but please understand that currently they are one in the same, and that it is difficult to separate the two.

All in all, great match and thanks for uploading them for us to see.

By the way, that little kid (B. Hong) is fierce!! I enjoyed watching him very much. For such a small child he seemed such an intimidating opponent.
SuperCPen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCPen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2011 at 2:01am

Hi qynthnghm,

Brandon Hong, the kid in my video, was nine years old.  If he keeps playing, can you imagine what he can do when he is nineteen?  And his forehand shot came over very fast.  The only reason I could do those backhand RPB blocks was that he tend to hit to the same spot  so I was more or less ready for it. 

I was indeed too passive in that match.  Even on my serves I did not use the full range of my spin and placements.  I ran into him again in U1700RR.  I served with more variation which setup a few good fh kills.  I also put more pace on my RPB shots so he couldn't make strong shots as regularly as he did in the earlier match.  I ended up beating him 3-1.

In a match, I have a tendency to play safe (or at least think I was playing safe) by opening up the racket.  That is why you see most of my shots resembles more of a hit than a loop in the match.  Up until about three years ago, my game was based on flat hitting using pips.  The feedback of a flat hit feel more natural and thus safer for me.  It wasn't until recently that I finally started to get a feel for looping.  It is still foreign to me.  So it will take a while to switch to a loop based game in match situations.  Progress has been slow due to limited playing time.  I hope this year to play more, and finally with some professional coaching, progress faster.

So far I have purposely keep my wrist firm for RPB shots.  When I use wrist, I could put more spin into the shots, but the shots get much more erratic.  Even without much wrist movement, I could still impart considerable spin if I hit it right.  My plan is to first get consistent without using wrist.  But there is nothing inherent in the SuperCPen design that would limit wrist movement.  If someone can do that Wang Hao RPB twist on the table, he shouldn’t have any problem doing it using a SuperCPen.  I say this because I can fully repeat his motion with a SuperCPen without feeling any hindrance.  Of course I can’t hit balls like that.  That is something requires years of training to perfect.  I could do a simpler version of that by starting with the racket pointing downward (instead of flat and pointing to the forehand side a la Wang Hao) and make a twist to loop a serve.  In fact, I can do that consistently against a robot, just not in a gameUnhappy  If you are interested in seeing it, I will make a video of that too.

Thanks for your interesting discussions.

SuperCPen DHS PG-3
Tenergy 05/Tenergy 05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic