Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The REAL problem with Chinese rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 6:29pm
The thing is for me, specifically in the case of H3 'provincial' that the rubber lasts much longer and keeps its performance much longer than, say, tenergy. No matter what I use, I'm not going to expect the exact same thing as last time. But for, say, tenergy, which degrades so badly that if you want to make it last longer than 2 months playing 2-3 times a week, then you better get used to the idea of having a whole different rubber when you buy more, anyway. So in the end, I don't care that much. All the sheets of BW2 or H3 provincial that I have used are close enough to the last one that it doesnt matter to me all that much. I bet the sheet I just got in the mail is pretty different to the very first sheet I ever used, but the changes are gradual just like the degrading performance of tenergy, so I don't notice so much. That's one of the perks of sticking to the same equipment. Even if quality is varying, your next sheet compared to your current sheet, or current to last, aren't going to be so huge. Minor adjustments will always have to be there regardless of what rubber you use. It works out in the end for me, and I'm satisfied.

Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

I have a refrigerator thats been handed down though my family, made in 1954 in Australia, it's been running 24/7 for 57 years, never broken down and never needed new gas. I would like to see a new one out of Asia do that. The only problem with it that it's so heavy it's very hard to move and shipping these days would cost a fortune. But as far as not wasting resources goes, things that last this long are the way to go

your refrigerator is blowing a hole through the ozone layer. Replace it already.

It actually doesn't use anymore power than a new one, you know the cost to the environment in building something new from scratch (like a car) with the same amount of pollution it takes to mine the ore to finished car, with that you could drive an old car for the rest of your life. Something to think about :)
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 5:46am
well, I see a lots of negative comments on Palio rubbers, and I guess this is mainly due to poor quality of CJ800 rubbers in the last 2 years; however, Palio has some very good designs (such as HK1997 Biotech, PME), and some of them offer excellent price to performance ratio.

My experience is, that the quality of Palio's rubbers is on par with Friendship's. Some vendors say Dawei offers excellent rubbers; however, I have recently purchased a batch of 20 IQUL 40 degree rubbers direcly from a reputable vendor, and I was surpriced to see a +/-4 grams variation in the weight of uncut rubber sheets of the same color, thickness and size.

DHS commercial rubbers are getting more inconsistent by the year as well; however, in general, if you purchase provincial versions from official resellers the quality is excellent and specifications are very consistent. I don't know how many of you have tried DHS H2, H3, TGs and Neos national versions, but as hardness of the sponge + top sheet is concerned for example, these seem to be closer to the commercial, than the provincial versions right after you glue them...?!

Edited by vvu.tee - 03/12/2011 at 6:07am
(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 6:07am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Its not the quality, its the consistency. It happens time and time again, there is a new Chinese rubber, the latest I tried Is of the 'Moon' variety. Its really exellent, plays superbly, but I know I can't play with it, because in 6 months time when I order a sheet it will be a poor reproduction of the first sheet I tried. This happens constantly. The Local guy to me who was selling Haifu has dropped it, because he was sold a batch of, basically sh*t quality rubbers. I hate saying this, but I would reccomend staying away from Chinese rubbers if you like to play with settled equipment, the reason I hate saying it is because they are Cheap, and Butterfly are taking the piss.
 Its quite obvious what is going on, bonafide Chinese manufacturers develop rubbers and then they are copied to a poorer standard, if you are an importer you are looking for the cheapest price to maximise profits, the agent you last bought rubbers off offers you the 'same' rubbers but at a cheaper price, but they are not the same...

yes, totally agree, though i guess another way of putting it is that the problem is not chinese rubber, per se, but chinese rubber manufacturers and/or salesman (but not necessarily the importers).

the problem is that over there, the business model is "get away with whatever you can to make a fast buck (or yuan)."  i've never had any chinese rubber that was good to play with for longer than 2 wks. which is why i avoid them like the plague.

i often wonder how these people survive, cuz you would think, after making a few bad sheets, they would go out of business, but, actually, when you have a whole bunch of ej'ing n00bies who are supposedly trying to save money, yet don't know how to play, thus don't know how to properly evaluate a rubber, then you can see how they could survive by just continuously coming out with "new product" or more preciously, old product with a new name!

some of the n00bies here have been advocating a boycott of BUTTERFLY products, and i have nothing against that, but i think the more appropriate boycott should be of chinese products.  but it probably wouldn't do much damage anyway, cuz the american market is probably just a drop in the bucket for them.  so, why bother??
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 6:17am
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

[QUOTE=APW46]
i often wonder how these people survive, cuz you would think, after making a few bad sheets, they would go out of business, but, actually, when you have a whole bunch of ej'ing n00bies who are supposedly trying to save money, yet don't know how to play, thus don't know how to properly evaluate a rubber, then you can see how they could survive by just continuously coming out with "new product" or more preciously, old product with a new name!

LOL, pricelessLOL
The Older I get, The better I was.
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 6:24am
=3

On the topic of this thread, I've only had one bad sheet of bw2 (out of about 8). And every dhs h3 neo has been great, not too much different between the sheets. However i've never bought a commercial version
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 11:16am
I gave a clubmate here in Korea one of my Apollo sheets at cost. Two days later, he showed me where the topsheet separated center of the rubber. I gave him another black sheet for free. The very next week, I had a sheet of my own Apollo do the very same thing 1 day after putting it on the blade! What to do? Toss it? Heck no! It was a good chance to separate the entire topsheet and re-glue it to the sponge. Endstate, an even faster, yet super spinny version of Apollo. Sometimes you have to make lemon juice from your lemons.

On the other hand, the Dawei XP 2008 Super Power Cole sells and the 999 on Quattro sponge he makes last 6 months and 12 months respectively, minumum.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2011 at 4:39pm
Bought about 
12 Tuttle Beijing 3 rubbers---3 were good and the same...the rest i dont' know what to say
Bought 3 Neo H3 none of them played the same even the sponge looked different on one of them
G666 bought 7, same issue
Haifu Whale 2 tuned, 3 sheets same issues
PF4 4 sheets, 1 was excellent the other 3 were not as good but similar in play
Apollo bought 3 of them the red ones almost feel the same, the black bubbled after 2 hours of play...i took the topsheet from the top of the blade and i hardly had to pull and it came right off the sponge but only half way down, then i had to pull really hard to get the other half off and thus breaking some pips and tearing small bits off the sponge...once i was donte the top half of the sponge was clean and the bottom half was a bit whitish ...i can't explain this but that they decided to put less on top or switched glues or one bottle of glue finished and they used another one...so i guess there could be glue consistency issuesSmile as well...who knows...but i am having a hard time with the consistency of the chinese rubbers as well...but i also encountered better Tenergies from Japan then when i bought them elsewhere...

Edited by emihet - 03/12/2011 at 4:43pm
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2011 at 5:32am
APW is right. There was only one chinese rubber I used more than once, because the new sheet was the same as older one. It was 729-08 at 49degrees. The same properties for both sheets. I might be lucky with that.
But apart from this, I have the same problem. Since DHS H3 NEO release, I have bought many sheets. But only 2 or 3 of them were good for me. The thing is that some sheets react differently to tuning. I would like to prepare my rubbers the way I like them, but they behave differently. So I bought provincial versions, but damn, it looks better, but still not ready to play without tuning.
Btw, I noticed some differences in Grip-S rubbers as well, however Joola Braves were the same. But, not to blame only chinese rubbers, the tenergy rubbers are changing as well. Tackiness D is not the same as it was years ago. So I am not that much angry, but some chinese rubbers are really different, like day and night.

Inconsistency between 2 sheets is only one issue, there is another issue - inconsistency of the same rubber sheet. It is probably in the sponge, which has different density or elasticity on different spots of the sponge. I usualy overcome this by tuning the sponge, but ... I talk about tuning quite a lot and I am not happy for this, but it is the only way for me how to use chinese rubbers.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
davidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2011 at 8:54am
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Its not the quality, its the consistency. It happens time and time again, there is a new Chinese rubber, the latest I tried Is of the 'Moon' variety. Its really exellent, plays superbly, but I know I can't play with it, because in 6 months time when I order a sheet it will be a poor reproduction of the first sheet I tried.

some of the n00bies here have been advocating a boycott of BUTTERFLY products, and i have nothing against that, but i think the more appropriate boycott should be of chinese products.  but it probably wouldn't do much damage anyway, cuz the american market is probably just a drop in the bucket for them.  so, why bother??

When I find a Chinese rubber which I like, I try to buy more sheets to aviod the quality issue.  I will stick with TG2 Chinese rubber, since there is no better rubber for me to replace it according to my playing style. 

PG7 (Skyline 2, LKT XP)
YEO (Skyline 2, Skyline 3)
friendship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2011 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

That's why I ordered 10 of them, to make sure that consistency will persist. Still less than to buy two sheets of Tenergy. Wink 

and still you risked to get 10 rubbers from another batch with different characteristics than one you ordered at first place
friendship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2011 at 10:55am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Palio is the only Chinese company I know actually buying rubbers from japan or europe and selling them under their name.  Chinese rubbers with "Japan" sponges are typically very low quality japanese sponges or chinese sponges in disguise.

yet, palio with 'japanese sponge' declaration on it is much better quality than palio without such declaration. in fact, two palio rubbers with japanese sponge declaration were rare rubbers for which i haven't got any complaints - they are well worth in respect to their cost. so, be it japanese sponge or not, it is better than other option
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic