Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The REAL problem with Chinese rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The REAL problem with Chinese rubbers
    Posted: 03/10/2011 at 5:51pm
Its not the quality, its the consistency. It happens time and time again, there is a new Chinese rubber, the latest I tried Is of the 'Moon' variety. Its really exellent, plays superbly, but I know I can't play with it, because in 6 months time when I order a sheet it will be a poor reproduction of the first sheet I tried. This happens constantly. The Local guy to me who was selling Haifu has dropped it, because he was sold a batch of, basically sh*t quality rubbers. I hate saying this, but I would reccomend staying away from Chinese rubbers if you like to play with settled equipment, the reason I hate saying it is because they are Cheap, and Butterfly are taking the piss.
 Its quite obvious what is going on, bonafide Chinese manufacturers develop rubbers and then they are copied to a poorer standard, if you are an importer you are looking for the cheapest price to maximise profits, the agent you last bought rubbers off offers you the 'same' rubbers but at a cheaper price, but they are not the same...
The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

cls2222 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cls2222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 5:57pm
Do you think there is any difference between the provincial and commercial versions?
Korbel
Stiga Boost TX   

tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 5:58pm
very true. QC batches are total crap when it comes to haifu...even when you tried to get the 'national' version. luckily, DHS provincial ones are still good for quality.

but if i really had to, i'd stick to my tenergys....=(
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by cls2222 cls2222 wrote:

Do you think there is any difference between the provincial and commercial versions?
 Yes. Initially any Chinese rubber was guaranteed to be top quality if it was stamped with 'RITC'

this was an abbreviation for ' regional institute Tiagin China' which basically meant that the rubbers you were buying were the same as the national team of China. It did not take long for every manufacturer of rubbers in China to realise that stampint that logo on the rubber would ensure sales. Dealing with China is like dealing with the wild west, NO REGULATION.

I've always liked to play with Chinese rubbers on my B/hand, and really I'm not over stating this, I've had constant problems for years with the quality control.
lilactime031 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 6:10pm

YinHe blades are ok.

The YinHe rubbers aren't good. After while they loose their color. I can say that the the best Chinese rubbers manufacture is 729 (Friendship). Good quality and good prices, Dawei is also ok you can't find tacky top sheets there but the quality is very good and the prices are very cheap.

DHS the commercial versions are bad rubbers. I can't play with them. Five years ago Cole made for me some Hurricane III top sheets onto Dawei Canon sponge. The result was very good.

I don't know the Palio rubbers. Some said that the cheap Palio rubbers are very vulnerable. But i can't confirm that...

e-pingpongshop
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 7:59pm
I haven't been purchasing enough of the same sets of rubbers to trust, but I have faith in 729, Palio, and Dawei from Cole.
Ikaros21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ikaros21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 8:03pm

globe 999 on dawei sponge plays very good if you get it from cole. I've been playing with the same set up with good results from 3 years.

I'm going up 1986 NooB
Blade: Galaxy T4
FH: Globe 999
BH: Butterfly Cermet I'm not re-gluing anymore
prott.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prott.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 8:17pm

@APW46

You English people constantly moan about nanny state you have in your country and yet you want more REGULATIONS!!!!!11... China is world's biggest exporter so my assumption is that they might be doing things the correct way.

RITC stands for Research Institute Tianjin China and it's an R&D arm of 729 Friendship (manufacturer) I don't believe that RITC sticker has anything to do with quality control checks.

Edited by prott.co.uk - 03/10/2011 at 8:27pm
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 8:39pm
China might be the biggest exporter but the problem is nothing China has made and I mean nothing is yet as good as the same products that were made in the West before they gave up manufacturing and we were used to a certain amount of quality
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

China might be the biggest exporter but the problem is nothing China has made and I mean nothing is yet as good as the same products that were made in the West before they gave up manufacturing and we were used to a certain amount of quality

I completely disagree. The reason manufacturing has shifted over there is because they make equal to better quality products at the best price.
AARDVARK View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AARDVARK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 10:11pm
I am one of the Chinese rubber distributor in my country (for Sanwei)

for my case , I also have some bad experience for the first lot and I complaint out. After that , they keep focus on the lot that ship to me and so far no more issue. Right now , it's quite consistant and my customer are also quite happy.

kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 10:52pm
You have to complain alot to get the same quality from a China factory. Or else they will make changes to decrease costs and hope that you will not complain.

That is why they have so many grades of the same product. Nothing goes to waste. Even the those that dun pass QC some how get sold somewhere.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 11:57pm

Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I haven't been purchasing enough of the same sets of rubbers to trust

That's a good one! If you constantly EJ and never buy the same rubber twice, you'll never have your heart broken by the disappointment of a rubber you love betraying you.

This topic is of personal interest to me, because I just ordered a pair of 38 degree Hurricane III Neo Provincials from a very reputable seller. If they match the quality and performance of my 6 month old (100+ hours) sheet I will be very satisfied. If they are wildly different, I will be mortified.

I've finally settled down on equipment. Oh sure, I might switch setups a couple times in a play session, just fooling around; but 90% of practice and matches are the same rubber and blade I've been using for 6 months. It was a shock to me when I actually bought the same FH and BH rubbers as a replacement.

Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

I completely disagree. The reason manufacturing has shifted over there is because they make equal to better quality products at the best price.

I think you mean "acceptable quality at bulk discounts".

Equal to Better products? Equal to whom? Better than whom?

Their cars aren't even close to Detroit's quality, let alone Japan. And look what happened once Apple shifted their production to China.... Their products used to last 5-8 years, and now you are lucky if you make it through the warranty period without having to have your device refurbed.

This is a bit of a sticky issue however, because if people aren't constantly replacing cheap junk that is breaking (like lawnmowers, which can be less expensive to purchase than repair) or items that are becoming obsolete (home electronics) they are not spending money and fueling the economy.

As an aside, I have a 1965 Craftsman snowblower. It was made in the USA, it starts on the first pull every winter. All I do is put gas in it, and change the oil every few years. Companies can't afford to make products like this nowadays, because they don't make any revenue once the market is saturated.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 12:07am
I haven't had a major problem with Haifu. I've been playing with untuned BWII since it came out (and haven't changed my blade for three years). 

The few times I got a bad batch (the rubber sheet was warped), mytt sent me a free replacement. I used the warped sheet for few practices and it actually worked pretty well.
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 1:36am
I have a refrigerator thats been handed down though my family, made in 1954 in Australia, it's been running 24/7 for 57 years, never broken down and never needed new gas. I would like to see a new one out of Asia do that. The only problem with it that it's so heavy it's very hard to move and shipping these days would cost a fortune. But as far as not wasting resources goes, things that last this long are the way to go
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 2:02am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Its not the quality, its the consistency. It happens time and time again, there is a new Chinese rubber, the latest I tried Is of the 'Moon' variety. Its really exellent, plays superbly, but I know I can't play with it, because in 6 months time when I order a sheet it will be a poor reproduction of the first sheet I tried.

That's why I ordered 10 of them, to make sure that consistency will persist. Still less than to buy two sheets of Tenergy. Wink

Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 4:08am
i find that chinese rubbers are less tacky than 5 years ago... 729FX for example...
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 4:21am
My older 3 year hurricane 2 and 3 are more tacky and play better than the recent ones I got like 4 months ago.
Either way they were £9 each and still play fine as it doesn't affect me too much because I'm not a high level player. So I can't complain for only £9.
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 4:41am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I think you mean "acceptable quality at bulk discounts".

Equal to Better products? Equal to whom? Better than whom?

Their cars aren't even close to Detroit's quality, let alone Japan. And look what happened once Apple shifted their production to China.... Their products used to last 5-8 years, and now you are lucky if you make it through the warranty period without having to have your device refurbed.

This is a bit of a sticky issue however, because if people aren't constantly replacing cheap junk that is breaking (like lawnmowers, which can be less expensive to purchase than repair) or items that are becoming obsolete (home electronics) they are not spending money and fueling the economy.

As an aside, I have a 1965 Craftsman snowblower. It was made in the USA, it starts on the first pull every winter. All I do is put gas in it, and change the oil every few years. Companies can't afford to make products like this nowadays, because they don't make any revenue once the market is saturated.

I think where Apple faulted was rushing their devices to market. What types of failures are you referring to? They are more likely to be design issues than a manufacturing ones. Apple transferred their manufacturing technologies to China, if they couldn't reproduce the same quality and control it, they would not release the product made there. There's no way a company like Apple will put their reputation on the line like that.

Also your notion that certain items are purposely made so that they break is a bit tough to take. In a competitive market, all of the manufacturers would have to be in on it, otherwise the companies doing it will lose their reputation and go out of business.

And engine technology has improved drastically over the past 30 years, I'm sure you'll also be able to find a much better snowblower now that will last just as long and runs more efficiently. You just haven't had to look for one.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 5:22am
Originally posted by prott.co.uk prott.co.uk wrote:

@APW46

You English people constantly moan about nanny state you have in your country and yet you want more REGULATIONS!!!!!11... China is world's biggest exporter so my assumption is that they might be doing things the correct way.

RITC stands for Research Institute Tianjin China and it's an R&D arm of 729 Friendship (manufacturer) I don't believe that RITC sticker has anything to do with quality control checks.

Ah, my friend from the Yorkshire dales, how are things up there, as beautiful as ever I suspect.
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 5:26am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I haven't been purchasing enough of the same sets of rubbers to trust

That's a good one! If you constantly EJ and never buy the same rubber twice, you'll never have your heart broken by the disappointment of a rubber you love betraying you.

LOL ...I actually haven't had to change rubbers yet. My 729 Super FX looks a bit worn out, but I'm not fanatic about getting optimal performance from my rubbers, so I'll keep playing with them for some time. On your advice, I switched back to them, and I must say I'm liking them more and more, even more than my once favorite Desto F3, because what you put in is what you get, nothing more, nothing less. It's a bit challenging to use Super FX on the backhand though. If my technique is a bit sloppy and the racket doesn't stay on plane at contact, the looping attempt turns into a topspin hit or a counter, and if I'm swinging fast, the ball usually goes long. Passive blocking is a bit challenging as well, because the sponge is not elastic.
mayuki24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayuki24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 7:46am
Yeah chinese rubbers have different batch qualities. I have bought my dhs h3 neo earlier than my team mate's dhs h3 neo. My rubber is 4-6 months old already and my team mate's is only 2 months old but the quality of my rubber is still like new, super tacky just like when it was brand new but unfortunately when i checked my team mate's dhs h3 neo and his rubber is like a sh*tty crap, the tackiness of the rubber was already worn out and i couldnt see any good spots to hit his rubber. Hope china would produce many batches of good quality rubbers not to produce many batches of rubber but with different kind of qualities. Ermm
Nittaku Runlox (C-Pen)
FH:    Andro Rasant Powergrip
BH:   Andro Rasant Grip

prott.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prott.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 8:31am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Ah, my friend from the Yorkshire dales, how are things up there, as beautiful as ever I suspect.

Yorkshire dales? I live in south west.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 10:53am
APW,

You mentioned this, but the thread hasn't really focused on how much of the lack of product consistency comes from fakes and corruption.

By fakes, I mean people producing copies of well known brands/products.
By corruption, I mean employees of the rubber manufacturers stealing the pile of rubbers that failed QC and reselling them as regular rubbers.

729/RITC at least pulls these failed QC rubbers and sells them as training rubbers.

I used to think that DHS was horribly inconsistent, batch to batch, but found that once I used "Genuine DHS Resellers" (the people who buy directly from DHS) and stopped looking for "great deals" from ebay and other questionable sellers, I managed to get the same rubbers, batch to batch to batch.

However, this doesn't work for Provincials, and you just have to "know someone" :D

Disregard below if you don't want to read OFF TOPIC sideways discussion about what "Made in China" often means.

Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

I think where Apple faulted was rushing their devices to market. What types of failures are you referring to? They are more likely to be design issues than a manufacturing ones. Apple transferred their manufacturing technologies to China, if they couldn't reproduce the same quality and control it, they would not release the product made there. There's no way a company like Apple will put their reputation on the line like that.

Also your notion that certain items are purposely made so that they break is a bit tough to take. In a competitive market, all of the manufacturers would have to be in on it, otherwise the companies doing it will lose their reputation and go out of business.

I'm sorry that I was not clear. I wasn't referring to "antennagate" (a design issue); I was referring to devices that were designed to last a "product cycle". Cell phones are a good example here, as every 2 years (the usual contract length) there are "compelling upgrade options" (reasons to resign contracts). Phones with minimal use might last 4-6 years, but heavy users tend to "wear out" both the "penny phones" and the "high end smartphones" in about that time frame; sometimes somewhat earlier, sometimes somewhat later. Because the pace of change in this industry is so fast, and because people have incentives to replace their equipment every 2 years, it doesn't make sense to use components that will last 10 years of regular use; manufacturers use less expensive components and labor.

Apple is particularly guilty of having annual marketing events that get people excited about incremental upgrades and willing to replace their existing devices before wear and general use lead to failure.

It's similar to BMW, a brand that Apple long emulated. A high style, high performance brand that charges a premium. Just like BMW's lease options which help keep you in the latest "ultimate driving machine" (and help you avoid costly repairs by getting rid of the car before it becomes more of a money pit) Apple has found a market where they can succeed. But in many ways, they've surpassed BMW (by marketing a phone that's been designed so Joe-Sixpack can use it, but selling the idea that he is now Joe-Latte). BMW hasn't had that kind of mass-market penetration.

But I'm way off topic here.

And engine technology has improved drastically over the past 30 years, I'm sure you'll also be able to find a much better snowblower now that will last just as long and runs more efficiently. You just haven't had to look for one.

It's not the engine I'm worried about; it's all the other cheaply manufactured plastic parts that are likely to crack and need replacing from general use. The only plastic on my 1965 is are the little tips of some of the levers. The rest is steel ;)
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 11:07am
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

You have to complain alot to get the same quality from a China factory. Or else they will make changes to decrease costs and hope that you will not complain.

That is why they have so many grades of the same product. Nothing goes to waste. Even the those that dun pass QC some how get sold somewhere.

This is, unfortunately, pretty much true.  Partly too it's the fault of the dealers.  Some dealers, esp in asia, are always hammering the manufacturers on price.  So eventually they end up making cheaper stuff to sell to those guys who are mostly interested in cheap.  The problems come when:

a) people buy them from one of these distributors expecting the same quality or

b) the manufacturers end up with too much of the cheap stuff and decide to unload some of it on the dealers who are happy to pay full price but they want quality.

I know there's a lot of talk about the odd galaxy rubbers lately, but I still think their best rubbers by far are still venus and apollo.  The rest of the stuff is obviously made by palio, and typically it's whatever they want to get rid of.  Every time I get an odd galaxy rubber to sample I'm disappointed.  That's just my opinion and experience.  Moon and sun are probably like wild dragon or something like that, just repackaged.  Basically you can tell by the price.  None of their rubbers cost more (for dealers) than the two I carry.  None are near the quality, again, IMO. 

I'm pretty sure they don't actually make rubbers at yinhe.  But they do make good blades and their consistency is excellent at that.  Oh, I also tried some new version of saviga I got from eacheng in a foil pack.  I think all the foil packs are coming from palio, and this was definitely a palio make.  You can tell by the pastel cherry pink sponge.  They also like light purple and other pastel type colors.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 11:20am
That's why there are only a few methods tat we could utilize

a) buy from dealers who are pushing the vendors for consistency and quality and make sure that tehy do not get crappy product - like Aardvark and Cole, .. and I am sure some others.

b) buy a product which is manufactured in a more transparent and known way. Unfortunately, except for Palio tensors I do not know any other Chinese rubber made outside of China - there must be some others... right?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 11:24am
Palio is the only Chinese company I know actually buying rubbers from japan or europe and selling them under their name.  Chinese rubbers with "Japan" sponges are typically very low quality japanese sponges or chinese sponges in disguise.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 5:29pm

I have a refrigerator thats been handed down though my family, made in 1954 in Australia, it's been running 24/7 for 57 years, never broken down and never needed new gas. I would like to see a new one out of Asia do that. The only problem with it that it's so heavy it's very hard to move and shipping these days would cost a fortune. But as far as not wasting resources goes, things that last this long are the way to go

your refrigerator is blowing a hole through the ozone layer. Replace it already.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 5:34pm
Quote Its not the quality, its the consistency.

inconsistency is a quality issue
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2011 at 5:47pm
you want a Chinese rubber? buy butterfly. You want quality control, you need to pay for it :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic