Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

recieving the tomahawk serve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ninglei23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninglei23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recieving the tomahawk serve
    Posted: 04/22/2011 at 8:15am
do you guys know how to recieve the tomahawk service because I really have a hard time recieving that service especially when it is short.thanks for your advice.
Yinhe V-14
FH:Xiom Vega Pro
BH:Donic Baracuda
Sponsored Links

nightcrawler56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightcrawler56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2011 at 8:28am
if its short you have two options depending on the ability of the opponent;

1) Flick it, if the ball is high enough
2) Push the ball back, angling your bat to assist in returning to desired direction
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2011 at 8:29am
I would at least aim for thier backhand (for a right hand server) as the spin will carry it the other direction, has the person doing this have much variation ie top spin / bottom spin? 
As some player just always cut it the same way and once you understand its spin then you will get better at your returns
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
ninglei23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninglei23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2011 at 8:38am
he's just using side spin with his FH
Yinhe V-14
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2011 at 10:35am
Depends on your playing style and your equipment. If you're an attacker (or an all-round player) with modern fast/spinny rubbers (which tend to be sensitive to incoming spin), then an aggressive return using a flick (for a short serve) or a loop drive (for a long serve) works better than trying to push/chop when returning this serve, especially when your opponent can mix in various degrees of  side spin and top spin. If you're a defender and/or your bat has "dodgy" rubbers which are far less sensitive to incoming spin, then you can get away with chopping or blocking the serve.

Edited by vvk1 - 04/22/2011 at 10:36am
ninglei23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninglei23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2011 at 10:38am
I am just having hard time recieving it because it's new to me..BTW thanks for all the advice
Yinhe V-14
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2011 at 11:19am

Following comments are base on the assumption this is a right handed server and you are a right handed receiver:

Tomahawk serves are mostly side-spin and you need to get some racket angle (ie racket is not in line with the end of the table) when you return the serve.   If the serve is short and to your backhand it is relatively easy to point the tip of the racket almost straight forward and then push/block/flip the racket in the direction you want the ball to go.  The angle of the racket counters the side-spin and the direction of the stroke becomes the direction the balls goes.  Of course you have to read if the ball has little underspin (open the racekt a little like a push) or has a little topspin ( close the racket a littel) mixed in with the side-spin. 

If the serve is short to your forehand it is difficult to bend your wrist enough to get the kind of racket angle you need.  Because of this I suggest that you just plan on covering 80% of the table with you backhand return.  Only on the very wide Fh serves will you use a forehand return.   For those wide Fh returns make sure that you are stroking the ball such that your stroke is a little diagonal going from the middle of the table toward your opponents Bh.  Moving the paddle in this direction will counter some of the side-spin.   You may find you need to hit the ball just a little harder (more forward) than you would normally expect.  This is because 1) ball is traveling more sideways than foreward by the time it gets to the wide forehand so you do not get help from the ball speed like you would on a serve coming right at you and 2) the ball has mostly side-spin and the rubber reaction to this spin throws the ball side-ways rather than toward the net like either straight topspin or underspin would do.   Balls going weakly into the net are more likely the result of not enough forward motion rather than wrong blade angle (too closed).

On longer serves to the Fh where you can loop the ball you still have problems with getting the correct wrist angle to counter the side-spin.  One of the things you can do in that case is to get yourself turned more side-ways to the table (left side closer to the table).  Since most long Tomahawk serves are just barely off the end of the table you often have to step under the table with your LEFT foot in order to get sideways without being to far back.  This is opposite of the standard dogma of always stepping  under the table with you racket side foot.   Again remember that you still have to read whether there is a little top or a little underspin mixed with the serve.

One of the things that might help you in reading the top/under addition is the idea that most servers that use a side-top/side-under variations generate stronger spin in one direction than the other.   They will hit either side-heavy top / side-light under  or they will hit side-light top/ side-heavy under but not heavy in both directions.  You can look for signs of the heavy spin component (which should be easier to detect) and if you don't see that just assume it is basically all side-spin.  Obviously this may not work with all servers, but it might be something to try.

I am still not really good at returning this serve either so take my suggestions only lightly.  I do think the above has helped me get better at returning the tomahawk even though I am not even close to the return percentage I want to have.

Mark

ttEDGE - William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 4:18am
My 2c. I use the tomahawk serve ~85% of the time and have a good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of it. There are different types of tomahawk serves for a start. Mine is very different to say, Ovtcharov's, version (he is the one who made me start using it a few years ago). He uses a larger action and attempts to generate much more spin than I do. I prefer to go for more precision with placement and smaller and more subtle spin variations.

I've found over the years that a right hander returning a right hander's tomahawk serve with his forehand finds it much easier to flick fast cross-court than down the line. The sidespin on the ball sort of draws the ball downwards and it can be difficult to flick fast down the line without going into the net. The returner will have to be less aggressive on the flick and go for a higher throw / trajectory over the net.

I've found it effective to guard the wide forehand for fast flicks as I don't have to worry as much about fast flicks down the line. The same is generally true about long pushes as well. The most important thing as the server is that I am trying to get my tomahawk serve low over the net as often as possible. As soon as the serve sits up too high, it becomes too easy for the opponent to flick freely, even against the sidespin/backspin variation.

If the tomahawk server is serving well (low and spiny) then a short return from the opponent can be very effective. You'll have to take the ball very soon after the bounce however and the return will sit up high if you are too late. The sidespin on the serve will make your short return very nasty to deal with for the server

I agree with mjamja that it can be effective to use the backhand flick to deal with tomahawk serves. You cut out much of the 'downwards' draw on the ball that I talked about above. However a good tomahawk server will be able to move the serve around and make it hard to cover 80% of the table with a BH flick. The returner will also have to make sure he is good at getting back to a neutral attacking position if he's going to play the BH flick from the FH side of the table.

Keep in mind that tomahawk serves will generally be used by players who favour their backhand attacks. This type of player is often weak in the pocket (crossover between BH and FH) and this can be exploited.
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 4:51am
If the ball is underspin to your fh, you can fh push to the opponents bh by angling your wrist outward and drop it short.  I find that this situation gives servers a bit of trouble.

If it is anywhere else or with a different spin, I don't know how to help you...
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 5:44am
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 10:15am
Originally posted by ttEDGE - William ttEDGE - William wrote:

My 2c. I use the tomahawk serve ~85% of the time and have a good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of it. There are different types of tomahawk serves for a start. Mine is very different to say, Ovtcharov's, version (he is the one who made me start using it a few years ago). He uses a larger action and attempts to generate much more spin than I do. I prefer to go for more precision with placement and smaller and more subtle spin variations.

I've found over the years that a right hander returning a right hander's tomahawk serve with his forehand finds it much easier to flick fast cross-court than down the line. The sidespin on the ball sort of draws the ball downwards and it can be difficult to flick fast down the line without going into the net. The returner will have to be less aggressive on the flick and go for a higher throw / trajectory over the net.

I've found it effective to guard the wide forehand for fast flicks as I don't have to worry as much about fast flicks down the line. The same is generally true about long pushes as well. The most important thing as the server is that I am trying to get my tomahawk serve low over the net as often as possible. As soon as the serve sits up too high, it becomes too easy for the opponent to flick freely, even against the sidespin/backspin variation.

If the tomahawk server is serving well (low and spiny) then a short return from the opponent can be very effective. You'll have to take the ball very soon after the bounce however and the return will sit up high if you are too late. The sidespin on the serve will make your short return very nasty to deal with for the server

I agree with mjamja that it can be effective to use the backhand flick to deal with tomahawk serves. You cut out much of the 'downwards' draw on the ball that I talked about above. However a good tomahawk server will be able to move the serve around and make it hard to cover 80% of the table with a BH flick. The returner will also have to make sure he is good at getting back to a neutral attacking position if he's going to play the BH flick from the FH side of the table.

Keep in mind that tomahawk serves will generally be used by players who favour their backhand attacks. This type of player is often weak in the pocket (crossover between BH and FH) and this can be exploited.
Ive never seen any other high level do this serve from the slight right side of the court so often for such a good effect, but you an back it up with your great backhand
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 10:17am
Another option is to do the serve back to the same player to see what he does lol,,,, mind you some practice will be needed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 12:20pm
I find that serving from the middle can create some interesting and effective angles that players just aren't used to facing. And that's really what I after - I don't need them to miss the return but just for it to be uncomfortable enough for them to return that they are unsure of their returns. If I'm lucky then it spills over to the rest of the game.
Joo Se Who View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 2:19pm
i use that serve as my main serve , its mostly side and top, but u can give dead spin and under and top, but most the time its just side and top , easy just loop it back aim for middle of table it will go to their forehand , if u want to block it aim at the back hand if they are righty and angle down a lil for the topspin
Blade:TBS
FH:05fx
BH:05fx

professorjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote professorjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 3:45pm
What typically happens when you return it?  Is it long, into the net, spins off the side of the table, etc?
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 4:01pm
same way you would return a reverse sidespin or backhand serve.

stepping in with your backhand is the simplest thing and returning to server's backhand.

if it's topspin and/or sidespin flip it - if it's mainly backspin then push it.
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 5:05pm
There is absolutely no difference in returning a tomahawk serve than any other serve. Also its impossible to disguise it, so you can set up earlier. The reason the tomahawk serve is so effective is because of how imposing it is. Many people that can normally return my serves are at a loss for words when I use the tomahawk. 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 6:12pm
This is actually a very good question, and one I find hard , as a coach to teach, mainly because the tomohawk serve is one of the best serves to disguise. I'm afraid the answer is not black and white, the answer you look for cannot be actually answered on forum. Experience of recieving it is really the only way forward, and any other answers are really not going to help you, reading the variation of the exponent is the key, but with this serve, its still tricky. As you get to be a better player, you just get better at it, that really is the truth.
The Older I get, The better I was.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 7:47pm
One can alwyas try the "opposite" impact, but making blade angle opposite of the impact to continue the spin, making the server deal with his own spin. Still, it is like Andy and the rest are saying, it comes down to reading the spin, deciding what to do, and executing it. That takes more than a little learning, failure, and experience. It gets better with time if one discovers what one has been doing wrong and works effectively to overcome it. This is one of the major reasons a LOT of US players hang around the 1400-1600 for years and not level up. Not to say 1400-1600 is a BAD level, just saying a lot of that crowd want to be higher rated and do not quite make it.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 7:50pm
Also to mention that William's advice is priceless. I mean TTEdge, not mine. I just share the same 1st name. It is not every day one can get a pro's view and advice just for the asking. We should be all ears.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2011 at 9:50pm
I ran across a video of William playing WLQ.  He hit a couple of side-under tomahawks and WLQ returned them fine.  Then William hit his side-top version and WLQ popped it up as bad as I do when I mis-read one.  Williiam put-away the kill decisively and left WLQ just kind of looking at his racket.  Unlike me, the next time William hit that version WLQ just stepped in and made a nice backhand flick.   It was pretty cool seeing a player of that level get fooled and a tribute to how well William executes his version of the tomahawk.

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 3:35pm
Hey Mark. I've had a few matches with WLQ. The first couple were when my tomahawk was in its infancy and not very good. By the time of our match at the 2008 Olympics it had improved a lot and the spin variations were less obvious.

I think the main difference between 07 and 08 was that I increased the amount of sidespin in the serve, which then made it more difficult to read. Sidespin can be great but as BH-Man points out, it ain't nice when the opponent comes across the ball and gives it all (plus more) back! It isn't an easy technique to master however as you need a precise, thin contact and great control on the return. You'll often see top players use the technique when they serve, get a short push and then push the ball back short again - coming across the ball is one of the best ways to keep it low.

December 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYNUVLB4Ygg

August 2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjD5ionudlw

In the Olympic match he had terrible trouble reading the serve. In the end he gave up trying to do much with it and pushed most of them long to my backhand (which suited me just fine). The tomahawk serve was the main reason I had such good chances to get into a match winning position.

Edited by ttEDGE - William - 04/26/2011 at 3:39pm
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2011 at 5:49pm
William, respect! Great flips! I believe WLQ never found so much his services attacked like against you.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 7:39am
Bump an interesting thread that I desperately need help with. 

I feel like I can return side spin serves and the variants OK for my level. However the tomahawk I find extremely difficult right now.  Particularly long serves, I almost never see a short one. How bad am I at it? As in win first two games against player X comfortably and then beginning game 3 he starts using the serve and I lose the match badly. As in I got like one or two returns against this serve on the table last night in 2 matches against a RH player (X) last night. I am right handed as well. I also have extreme problems with a left hand kid who does this serve. This is not against much higher rated players. One is several hundred points below me and the other 100 to 150 above me. And I see the players with some regularity.

I am sure part to the problem is confidence. I very my returns from totally  missing the ball to incomplete swings to soft rolls to chops to loop kill attempts...Nothing works.

Thoughts
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 8:15am
If they all come long off the table you should loop the crap out of them. You are missing with soft dinky shots, so what have you got to lose. It's unlikely your opponents have that much variation in the spin, so once you zero in on the right swing and contact to loop it you should be able to repeat consistently.   Even if you just get lucky and crush one or two, often that's enough to make them change to another serve.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 8:16am
Plus aggressive returns will feel better to you even if you still miss. That will help you stay confident in the rest of your game.
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 11:39am
I have the same problem with tomahawk serves, and basically all reverse sidespin serves. Read this:

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/877

Or, if you want to be a beast, just take the side-top version right off the bounce and return it short. LOL

USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 11:56am
Just this week I had real trouble with a fast side spin from a leftie going out to my wide forehand.

It wasn't that I couldn't return it - the trouble was trying to return it away from the guy's strong forehand. The variation was all side spin or side + top, so it was moving away from me.

I moved a little more to my forehand side to return serve which wasn't enough still. Next time I'm going to really commit to moving there and make sure I'm brushing the outside of the ball - gotta get to his backhand corner. I think it's just further proof of my struggle to move and hit a good forehand on return of serve.

To the new OP: work on your forehand loop, focus on brush contact and set up a robot to give you side spin.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

I have the same problem with tomahawk serves, and basically all reverse sidespin serves. Read this:

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/877

Or, if you want to be a beast, just take the side-top version right off the bounce and return it short. LOL

If watching this video and reading WeiTT article about this had helped me, I would have mastered this years ago:)
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

Just this week I had real trouble with a fast side spin from a leftie going out to my wide forehand.

It wasn't that I couldn't return it - the trouble was trying to return it away from the guy's strong forehand. The variation was all side spin or side + top, so it was moving away from me.

I moved a little more to my forehand side to return serve which wasn't enough still. Next time I'm going to really commit to moving there and make sure I'm brushing the outside of the ball - gotta get to his backhand corner. I think it's just further proof of my struggle to move and hit a good forehand on return of serve.

To the new OP: work on your forehand loop, focus on brush contact and set up a robot to give you side spin.

Thanks. Actually I have the problem of not getting the ball on the table, I am not worried at all about placement or keeping it away from their FH. I also can loop long balls off of almost any other spin-including side spin variants with my FH well for my level. 

I do think if I am going to miss I may as well miss an overly aggressive attack instead of a safe return. At least my opponent may be a little tired of chasing the ball back to the wall if nothing else. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic