Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your own blade sealing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your own blade sealing
    Posted: 05/06/2011 at 2:39pm
Well, i just lost another blade (donic person powerplay) to that vicious Butterfly Free Chack glue, and quite frankly I am so fed up with it, if butterfly had an office here I would go there and break something. Even with a high quality blade removing the rubber is super hard.

Which brings me to the thread topic - what do you use to seal your blades? Not that I will use the butterfly glue ever again, but if it safe, i would like to seal my blades anyway.

Does a layer of polyorethane change the playing characteristics of the blade, other than a few grams of weight? Doesn't it make it harder?

And while we are at it, if using polyorethane can you use any of the ones with stain? - would be nice to add mahagony finish to some cheap blades :)

Whatever other advice you can share about sealing your own blade - please do.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Sponsored Links

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 3:59pm
Seal ALL blades. One coat of Poly-U will not change a blade. My fav is Minwax Poly Quick Dry, Satin. Dip the corner of a lint free rag in it, rub it into the wood. Then wipe it off, let dry. If it is very open grain wood, use two or three coats. Apply about 10 minutes apart, then dry for one hour. Done.

You "might" be able to feel a little difference on an ALL- or DEF blade. I can't tell you. I do not use slow blades. 

OFF- to OFF+, you can not feel the difference with one or two coats.

I have done tests by comparing an unsealed blade to a sealed blade many times. Bouncing a ball on the bare blades, (OFF- or faster) two coats gave a "slightly higher" sound on "some" of the blades. With rubbers on the blade, (blind test) NO ONE could pick the sealed blade. I have done tests with up to 10 coats of Poly-U.

Varathane works the same.  Both brands make water or mineral based finish. When dry, both are water proof. Water based gives a crystal clear finish while mineral based adds a slight golden glo to the wood.

If you use many coats for a "table top" finish, you must "lightly" sand with #320 to break the shine so the glue will stick better. With one or two coats, the glue holds fine and will stay on the sponge 95% of the time when the rubber is removed.
I would not use "Made for Table Tennis" sealers as they do not even tell you what they are made of and they cost too much. Tests by Woodworkers Magazine have shown Poly-U to be the strongest, most scratch resistant, waterproof finish commonally available. A small can will do dozens of blades.  Smile

If you use water based glue, remember to seal the edges of the blade. Smile
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Seal ALL blades. One coat of Poly-U will not change a blade. My fav is Minwax Poly Quick Dry, Satin. Dip the corner of a lint free rag in it, rub it into the wood. Then wipe it off, let dry. If it is very open grain wood, use two or three coats. Apply about 10 minutes apart, then dry for one hour. Done.

You "might" be able to feel a little difference on an ALL- or DEF blade. I can't tell you. I do not use slow blades. 

OFF- to OFF+, you can not feel the difference with one or two coats.

I have done tests by comparing an unsealed blade to a sealed blade many times. Bouncing a ball on the bare blades, (OFF- or faster) two coats gave a "slightly higher" sound on "some" of the blades. With rubbers on the blade, (blind test) NO ONE could pick the sealed blade. I have done tests with up to 10 coats of Poly-U.

Varathane works the same.  Both brands make water or mineral based finish. When dry, both are water proof. Water based gives a crystal clear finish while mineral based adds a slight golden glo to the wood.

If you use many coats for a "table top" finish, you must "lightly" sand with #320 to break the shine so the glue will stick better. With one or two coats, the glue holds fine and will stay on the sponge 95% of the time when the rubber is removed.
I would not use "Made for Table Tennis" sealers as they do not even tell you what they are made of and they cost too much. Tests by Woodworkers Magazine have shown Poly-U to be the strongest, most scratch resistant, waterproof finish commonally available. A small can will do dozens of blades.  Smile

If you use water based glue, remember to seal the edges of the blade. Smile

Good advise.  Thank you for the articulate tips!
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 9:33pm
Yes! Very useful! Thank you, sir!
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
davidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 11:07pm
If you do not apply too much, it is less likely to make the blade harder by sealing.  Actually, I want to find something which can make the blade harder. I tried nail polish and wood hardener, and none really worked.  The CR technique from Stiga can only improve blade's speed slightly. I guess it is not easy to make the blade significant harder by applying some chemical on blade surface .

Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Does a layer of polyorethane change the playing characteristics of the blade, other than a few grams of weight? Doesn't it make it harder?
PG7 (Skyline 2, LKT XP)
YEO (Skyline 2, Skyline 3)
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 10:15am
davidz, you may try Titanium nano coating (some car repair shops have it), it does not add measurable weight when applied properly. apply two layers (even on 'softest' wood) and your blade will become a booster rocket.

there are other alternative nanotechnologies as well

have fun!

(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 11:00am
Is the nano coating clear? Sounds interesting. I might have to try it.

I am pretty sure there is an ITTF rule about being able to see the wood through the finish. It is strange they do not enforce it as there are many blades with an opague coating.

There are also products made to harden rotting wood in boats. Might try that also.  Smile
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2011 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by vvu.tee vvu.tee wrote:

davidz, you may try Titanium nano coating (some car repair shops have it), it does not add measurable weight when applied properly. apply two layers (even on 'softest' wood) and your blade will become a booster rocket.

have fun!

By booster rocket do you mean that the blade will have more speed ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

davidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 12:24am
Thanks for the information! I will give it a try.

Originally posted by vvu.tee vvu.tee wrote:

have fun!

PG7 (Skyline 2, LKT XP)
YEO (Skyline 2, Skyline 3)
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 2:39am
I used to use Minwax Polyurethane Spray (Satin also, not glossy).  It works very well.  You can spray to your used undershirt and wipe your blade with it.  Or you can just spray the blade directly, but be careful, not to overdone it.

Last few years, I have been using Donic Sealer.  Price wise, you are better with Minwax PU Spray but with Donic Sealer, it is easier to use.  Just one thin coat and within 15 - 30 minutes, it is dry completely.  Or you might want to dry it using hair dryer.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 2:47am
Minwax makes a regular and a quick dry. The quick dry is dry in 30 minutes also.  Smile
The regular can take 8 hours depending on temperature and humidity.
hungga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 12:38pm
Splintering is one thing but yea if I dont varnish my Petr Korbel (PK) back then I might fell victim to another BTY good for more bad thing products. I used Fit Chack to glued my T64s and it didn't dry off after 3 months. That could've destroyed my first ever BTY blade (even I'm starting to think it's a fake PK with both new and old BTY logo on the same blade). 

But, during cleaning process (getting Fit Chack off the blades surface) my tt seniors speculated that somehow the varnish could've reacted with chemicals within the glue, in a hot environment (car's trunk), got mixed up then failed to dry. Given the right amount of time the mixture will damage the blade, if not the heat. They're not chemical engineer or scientist whatever but they've been playing for more than 10 years and that was the first time they saw a bad racket (sealing and gluing combination/result). 

Luckily, the blade survived my crazy idea. Had to sacrificed my birthday gift perfume, it's high in alcohol, in order to remove that nasty gooey mixture, rolls of paper sand and it's still very much alive today. 

My point is, varnishing is good but if what my senior said is true then the glue and heat are two other things that you should watch out for. 
:: EJ level 1 ::
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 12:44pm
Hungga,
     What did you use for a sealer?
hungga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 12:55pm
Hookshot, I used wood varnish. I actually don't know which type of varnish I should use so I just asked the hardware shop's keeper to pick one for me. It's a clear one with glossy finish.  
:: EJ level 1 ::
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 1:34pm
The word varnish covers all finishes. Some are usless with water, others with various chemicals.
Poly-U is the most scratch resistant and the most resistant to water. I have never seen anything attack a Poly-U finish. That is why it is used for Bar/counter tops and floors.

I did have a problem with one blade, the blade was already sealed but I sprayed a coat of Poly-U on anyway. There was something in the factory finish that reacted with the Poly and it would not harden. It was a Zeropong, carbon but I can not remember the model. It looked like the Instinct with out the yellow stripe in the handle. It is not in the web site anymore.

vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 2:40pm
some nanocoatings are clear and transparent, you can even apply them on the windshield to improve visibility / some result is stiff, some in flexible layers.

for example, carbon or metal nano-fibers are superior to plain fibers in all departments save the cost Tongue
(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 3:19pm
To add to the discussion, here is what Charlie (of bladesbycharlie.com) uses:
http://www.mapleblock.com/detail/butcher-block-finishes-39/
see: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17067&PID=515075&title=1-ply-hinoki-blades#515075

From Charlie's web site:
Q: Are BBC blades sealed?
A: Yes, all BBC blades are sealed in the final step of construction, but not with a shiny urethane top coat that you might be familiar with.  I searched long and hard for a sealant that penetrates the wood yet still protects against splintering when rubber is removed.  By not forming a hard top coat on softer woods like Mahogany and Cypress, the wood's natural resiliency is preserved and that improves playability.

Thanks to Charlie and to 1ply for sharing this valuable information.
It would be nice if he could elaborate about what makes Good Stuff different to other polyurethane gel varnishes.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 7:14pm
In the glue days, there was no need for a sealant as the glue itself would sink into the wood over time and provide the bonding. Most sealants will change the blade characteristic in some way especially if heavily applied. So be careful.
I use linseed oil which takes a few days to dry but with the bonus of giving the blade a nice soft bouncy character. I picked this up from cricketers and old hardbat players.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 8:16pm
I've found some information that could be useful to select a proper sealant:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/w00060.asp
I wonder whether tung oil would be more appropriate than linseed oil, if it is true that it provides more resistance to moisture and, therefore, water-based glue.
Another article said that finishes should rather be classified as evaporative vs reactive, rather than film finishes or penetrating finishes, because a surface film finish can also be achieved with penetrating finishes, it all depends on the number of layers that are applied.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2011 at 8:47pm
If you are sealing for water resistance, linseed oil is rated poor.
Linseed oil helps bind the grain but water based glues will still have an effect.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/w00060_sb2.asp
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 8:13am
I have some oil finish that is used for impregnating cutting blocks: Amanprana Qi-board oil, which is extra pure coconut oil mixed with a few drops of camphor oil:
http://www.noble-house.tk/html/engels/qi-board_boosts_your_hygiene.htm
I wonder if I could use it to seal a new blade. I don't want to use polyurethane varnish and finishes like Good Stuff or Waterlox seem not to be available here in EU.
Any ideas?

Join the Nexy Clan!
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 8:30am
I use minwax with a lint-free rag.  Usually a couple of really thin coats across the blade face, and then a bit heavier/more just along the edges of the blade since that is where I have had a little problem in the past with splintering if I didn't seal the blade.

Edited by Brainstorm69 - 12/08/2011 at 8:31am
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
cje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 8:53am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

I've found some information that could be useful to select a proper sealant:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/w00060.asp
I wonder whether tung oil would be more appropriate than linseed oil, if it is true that it provides more resistance to moisture and, therefore, water-based glue.
Another article said that finishes should rather be classified as evaporative vs reactive, rather than film finishes or penetrating finishes, because a surface film finish can also be achieved with penetrating finishes, it all depends on the number of layers that are applied.

I also put linseed oil on my bats:
http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11239&start=0

but I now also seal my blades with a small application of Poly-U varnish, which dries withing an hour or two.
http://www.murrayfieldtt.com/

YEO/ Galaxy E-3/ FH: Skyline III Neo / BH: Palio HK 1997
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 8:55am
Can anybody recommend a non-polyurethane-based product that is commercially available in Europe?
Join the Nexy Clan!
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 10:40am

I have used both polyrethane and linseed oil.  Polyurethane is more protective than linseed oil.  You only need to apply polyurethane one time.    Initially, rubber needs to be re-glued frequently when polyurethane is applied.  Linseed oil needs to be re-applied again but it is no big deal.  Currently I use linseed oil.

Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 11:40am
You guys should mention not only your preferred sealer but your preferred glue. I don't seal i just get a few blades i like when that runs out and it's discontinued well SOL and a new search begins Ying Yang

Edited by The Shakehander - 12/08/2011 at 11:42am
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 11:42am
How good are chack sheets? Do they play differently than normal WB glue, and how removable are they?
Jpen: Senkoh-1 w. Xiom Vega Pro
SH: Expert All+ w. TG3 Neo & Illumina
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 1:57pm
The older Butterfly glue sheet, before they called it Chack Sheet, was very strong and much stronger than other brands of glue sheets I have used.  A thin layer of wood came off with the Butterfly glue sheet once.  Please use with caution.

I recently finished a bottle of Free Chack and had not issues with it.  The idea is not to use too much Chack when applying to both rubber and blade.  Just a thin layer would do - no more than 10 drops.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Yes, it will make the blade harder and change the playing characteristics.  If you use a small amount, you probably will not notice the difference.  However, the effects are much more pronounced if the top ply is extremely thin.

I would imagine most high end blades are already sealed in the factory.  You should check with the manufacturer or your retailer.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 3:46pm
Currently I use some woodtreatment oil from a Bob de Bauer / garden center (Hornbach). Uv resistant which means it doesn,t colour to become yellow I suppose for what that matters.

It,s colourless, natural look, not too shiny not building a layer on top of the wood.
It was the cheapest they had (approx fifteen euro / litre) but works perfect (with voc-glue that is for having experience with).
At least partially it contains hardening oil but not hardening the wood noticable.
I treat the whole blade including griphalves and sides with a thick layer. After an hour if necessary I remove excessive remains. Where it has this it,s slightly white, handy for applying and removing but not noticable afterwards. It then has a thin, transparent greasy film.

From that it takes twenty four hours to be absorbed. After that the film is completely gone.
Not feeling tacky or slippery including the handle.. with playing it feels normal.
Rubbers come off perfect (showing a consistent bound) and applying is perfect as well.
Don,t know if and when it needs a new layer but for now, several changes on some blades didn,t show anything in that direction.

Edited by mercuur - 12/08/2011 at 3:52pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic