FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

1952 Invention of Sponge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1952 Invention of Sponge
    Posted: 05/11/2011 at 8:13pm

I found this cool video of the first person to use a paddle with a sponge. A super thick sponge, and no topsheet! This was illegalized in 1959 by the ITTF. Has anyone had experiences playing with anything like this? Imagine what the sponge technology of today can produce if something like this was revisited.
Sponsored Links

racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 8:45pm
I think that's when people lost interest in the sport in the US.
Dont Chop MeNow View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dont Chop MeNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 8:49pm
I love how crazy TT was back in the day. You could still worry about "Japanese secret weapons" and pretty much any new idea had its potential. 
And I'd love to try a sponge-only setup to see how it really feels. I mean I've played with only sponge before, but that was due to the fact that the paddle's topsheet was removed by some awful hipsters who didn't see the difference. 
Invincibility lies in the Defense, the possibility of victory lies in the Attack.
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2011 at 9:40pm
this full documentary is a propaganda piece about how sponge ruined the tt game....

...it's basically an hour of marty reisman crying about how 'he was the best player who's ever played the game' but will never get that credit because sponge came out and 'over athleticized' the sport

....reisman actually says in the documentary (i'm paraphrasing but only slightly), "the sponge allowed the less talented players to rise to the top while the ultra talented hardbat champions were eliminated from competition altogether"

EDIT

I also forgot to mention that reisman says, 'he was so amazing with a sponged rubber that it just wasn't fun to play with it because he was too good'.

That guy is a huge asshole.  I'm glad sponge came out when it did so he never got a chance to be the best player in the world - he's only a legend in his own mind.

Edited by roar - 05/11/2011 at 9:42pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 12:22am
Hardbat made a comeback. Maybe spongebat can too.
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 12:32am
I can see having fun with hardbat, but playing with just sponge feels weird. You might as well play with a cupcake.
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 12:34am
Originally posted by roar roar wrote:

this full documentary is a propaganda piece about how sponge ruined the tt game....

...it's basically an hour of marty reisman crying about how 'he was the best player who's ever played the game' but will never get that credit because sponge came out and 'over athleticized' the sport

....reisman actually says in the documentary (i'm paraphrasing but only slightly), "the sponge allowed the less talented players to rise to the top while the ultra talented hardbat champions were eliminated from competition altogether"

EDIT

I also forgot to mention that reisman says, 'he was so amazing with a sponged rubber that it just wasn't fun to play with it because he was too good'.

That guy is a huge asshole.  I'm glad sponge came out when it did so he never got a chance to be the best player in the world - he's only a legend in his own mind.

I agree here. This documentary is a total propaganda piece that is so pro-American TT (especially hardbat style), it is downright hilarious. With how the interviewees are talking about the Japanese players, you'd think you might have accidentally watched another WWII documentary.
Dont Chop MeNow View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dont Chop MeNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 1:08am
Gotta love how they splice that clip of a samurai in whenever they talk about the Japanese.
Invincibility lies in the Defense, the possibility of victory lies in the Attack.
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Dont Chop MeNow Dont Chop MeNow wrote:

Gotta love how they splice that clip of a samurai in whenever they talk about the Japanese.

When the Japanese guy took out his sponge bat, I think they either put in a clip or sound effect of a katana unsheathing.
jeannn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeannn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 1:25am
i have this movie... BBC documentary
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 4:27am
This was NOT the first time sponge was used.  It was, however, the first time sponge had a big impact at the upper levels of the sport. That is what made the 1952 World Championship so noteworthy.

Sponge as a covering was mentioned in a U.S. Patent as early as 1939.
http://www.jayandwanda.com/tt/patents/2152239_sponge.pdf

BTW, the best players of the day went to Japan shortly afterward and handled Satoh fairly easily.  But Satoh's championship win did seem to spur on an "arms race" and a lot of experimenting with different surfaces that apparently was quite disruptive to table tennis in general.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 5:08am
Actually sponge made a major impact at the Vienna Worlds in the previous year (1951) when the accredited modern inventor of a sponge bat, Waldemar Fritsch of Austria, caused havoc among the top players during the team events, although he was eliminated from the singles eventually.

I agree that Reisman, while undoubtedly a contender in 1952, has built his subsequent personal mythology (which is considerable) on his interpretation of Satoh's victory. 
 The fact remains that there were plenty of other possible victors in 1952, not just Reisman. 
He and Howard Jacobson, among others making that film, are renowned for a romantic notion of the golden age of hardbat. Nonetheless I'd recommend his book,'The Money Player' (if you can find it) as one of the best and most entertaining books about TT, full of scarcely credible tales told by a master huckster.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 12:41pm
I'm just wondering if the 4.0 mm total thickness rule and the no sponge-only rule were not enacted, what would the equipment industry look like today? Maybe we will have 1 cm thick tensor sponges without topsheet. Imagine the diversity in the game.
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Doubt if you are correct. But even so was that due to the equipment or the fact that a Japanese was now WC?
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
tael View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 1:35pm
I remember playing those when I was little. My dad got some of those, one red sponge and one with green sponge.. about 4mm thickness. I loved them.
Waldner Senso Carbon
FH: 729 Focus III Snipe 2.1/42
BH: Galaxy Moon 2.1/38

RITC-729 A1
FH: 729 Focus III Snipe 2.1/42
BH: Galaxy Moon 2.1/38
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 1:57pm

Best quote about Marty I've ever read. 

ROTFLMAO LOL
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 2:27pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Here is a true story of how the sponge was introduced into the sport.
http://www.ittf.com/museum/TTIscans/TTI63SpongePart2.pdf
http://www.ittf.com/museum/TTIscans/TTI60TurbulentFifties.pdf
This is great! Thank you.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

this full documentary is a propaganda piece about how sponge ruined the tt game.......it's basically an hour of marty reisman crying about how 'he was the best player who's ever played the game' but will never get that credit because sponge came out and 'over athleticized' the sport....reisman actually says in the documentary (i'm paraphrasing but only slightly), "the sponge allowed the less talented players to rise to the top while the ultra talented hardbat champions were eliminated from competition altogether"EDITI also forgot to mention that reisman says, 'he was so amazing with a sponged rubber that it just wasn't fun to play with it because he was too good'.That guy is a huge asshole.  I'm glad sponge came out when it did so he never got a chance to be the best player in the world - he's only a legend in his own mind.
I agree here. This documentary is a total propaganda piece that is so pro-American TT (especially hardbat style), it is downright hilarious. With how the interviewees are talking about the Japanese players, you'd think you might have accidentally watched another WWII documentary.

+1

Completely agree, even though it was interesting to watch.
The holy grail
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 3:34pm
I can see why Marty was pissed.  But technology always marches forward, and no one can stop progress, good or bad...
Half of the fun for table tennis players nowadays is EJing.  LOL
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

I can see why Marty was pissed.  But technology always marches forward, and no one can stop progress, good or bad...

The problem is when the new technology is significantly disruptive.  Baseball sticks with wooden bats.  Tennis has allowed the racket to slowly evolve, but drew a line in the sand (or clay?) when spaghetti stringing came out.

I strongly suspect that the 1959 compromise of 4mm sandwich was considered to be a reasonable compromise and not too disruptive.  It was impossible for them to see what could be done with 4mm of covering using modern rubber technology and the glue effect was probably pretty much unknown.

We are actually now at a level of disruption due to a wide variety of surfaces that sounds almost exactly like what Johnny Leach described in 1959 while expressing how happy he was with the new covering rules.

FWIW, EJijng  is only about 2.853% of the fun in table tennis for me.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

The problem is when the new technology is significantly disruptive.  Baseball sticks with wooden bats.  Tennis has allowed the racket to slowly evolve, but drew a line in the sand (or clay?) when spaghetti stringing came out.

I strongly suspect that the 1959 compromise of 4mm sandwich was considered to be a reasonable compromise and not too disruptive.  It was impossible for them to see what could be done with 4mm of covering using modern rubber technology and the glue effect was probably pretty much unknown.

We are actually now at a level of disruption due to a wide variety of surfaces that sounds almost exactly like what Johnny Leach described in 1959 while expressing how happy he was with the new covering rules.

FWIW, EJijng  is only about 2.853% of the fun in table tennis for me.

You know I am all for hardbat, but after two years of running LATTA round robins and asking many people (other than the usual players) to try hardbat led me to an interesting conclusion... Hardbat will never be accepted by current and future generation of young players precisely because it lacks the choice to win points by either extreme spin or power.  Spin+power is what intrigues these young players, not consistency and placement.  There's simply no turning back to hardbat as the main surface, imho... Hardbat should be more widely accepted in regular play, definitely, but not as the main focus as what they are also doing with sandpaper.  Their efforts to do so will only prove to be divisive for the sport in the long term, and I suspect that's their motive. 
I am not against it, though, as everyone needs something to aim for in life, and I do love hardbat.  Smile
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Doubt if you are correct. But even so was that due to the equipment or the fact that a Japanese was now WC?

TT was a big thing in the US, albeit HB style. Can anyone spare a history lesson on why people eventually lost interest?
ikaros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikaros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2011 at 10:05pm
the lost interest because the top players of the moment . marty and his gang decided to stay away form international tournaments and rely their time playing old fashioned harbat. there were no top players in usa until semiller and bogan showed up Smile
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2011 at 12:58am
Mass TT is indicative of communality, it is the manifested spirit of collectivity.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2011 at 1:28am

You know I am all for hardbat, but after two years of running LATTA round robins and asking many people (other than the usual players) to try hardbat led me to an interesting conclusion... Hardbat will never be accepted by current and future generation of young players precisely because it lacks the choice to win points by either extreme spin or power.  Spin+power is what intrigues these young players, not consistency and placement.  There's simply no turning back to hardbat as the main surface, imho... Hardbat should be more widely accepted in regular play, definitely, but not as the main focus as what they are also doing with sandpaper.  Their efforts to do so will only prove to be divisive for the sport in the long term, and I suspect that's their motive. 
I am not against it, though, as everyone needs something to aim for in life, and I do love hardbat.  Smile

I guess it depends a lot on how you play it.  At the near 2000 level, I regularly win points using spin and power. Is it less spin and power than can be had with inverted?  Yes, absolutely.  But it is more than enough to win points.

The other thing I enjoy is nullifying the spin and power of the inverted player.  Maybe after they experience more of that, they'll be less enamored of inverted.  And here's the thing.  I'm a 51 year old guy who isn't training full time.  I'd love to see what some kid could do with hardbat if they put all their effort into it.  The simple fact is that NOBODY is doing that at a serious level.

But actually, for any young kid who is looking to excel at table tennis, I would not recommend hardbat.  Such kids should definitely choose inverted.  That is the surest way to become national or world class.  Though the truth is that short pips and long pips combo rackets can get you there as well.  Hardbat probably cannot.

Of course, the vast majority of table tennis players are not young.  So maybe it doesn't matter.

What I'd like to see is for hardbat to help expand table tennis to a larger base of recreational players.  I think that's possible because playing with hardbat is easier at the lower levels and new players aren't as likely to become confused by "tricky" spin.  The expanded base could increase the pool of players who would play sponge. 

Can it work that way?  I don't know.  It certainly hasn't so far.  But then, the hardbat "movement" has mostly been grass roots.  So it is hard to say what is possible.  But with competitive table tennis participation having such low participation, it wouldn't take a whole lot to expand a base that is MUCH larger.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Not a wanna be View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Not a wanna be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2011 at 2:17pm
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your thoughts on what a "blank" Marty Reisman is.  Unlike you, I am not a wanne be who will criticize anyone.  Michael Jordan would not be remembered for how he could play if the sport radically changed when he was at the top of his career.  Before you say how do I know that, why don't the three of us (you, I, and MJ) have a little chat live not by email but on the phone.  MJ will change his number after speaking to you.  Not because, he does not want to talk to you any more, but because he does not associate with losers.

Before you say anything about me.  I have as a track record (plus the tax returns to prove it) with the companies I have worked for as always becoming number one in sales, however, if the companies I have worked for were to change the playing field while I was at the top of my game, to where I would have to compete without allowing me to use my personality as a clicker for clinching sales that no one else could close, then I would be just like everyone else.  On a level playing field Satoh and Reisman would have an even chance to win against each other.

My personality is an unfair advantage to the people that try to compete against me.  But unlike my personality, I do not get to use a piece of equipment that would allow me to enhance what comes to me naturally.  Yes, and by the way, every single person that does compete with me complains that I must be doing something wrong since they never achieve what I achieve.

Smile
Not a wanna be
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2011 at 2:31pm
One of my first rackets back in the early 60s was like that one. Just blue sponge on a layer of red sponge. No topsheet. It was lots of fun when playing against hard rackets. We played in my garage in our new house.

I use to watch Reisman play in the 96th Street Table Tennis club in Manhattan which was owned by Reisman. Most of the good players back then played at the 72nd Street club including Tannehill. Reisman was a hustler but very entertaining. People would watch him cut up sponge rubber players with a hardbat and it was just plain old fun. Lots of hustling in those days. I remember missing the first man land on the moon because I was too busy playing table tennis. :-) The game is much different today but the thing is whether it be Reisman or me or anyone else from those days, table tennis continues to be the kind of sport that is great for people of all ages!

Edited by richrf - 12/10/2011 at 3:13pm
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2011 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Not a wanna be Not a wanna be wrote:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your thoughts on what a "blank" Marty Reisman is.  Unlike you, I am not a wanne be who will criticize anyone.  Michael Jordan would not be remembered for how he could play if the sport radically changed when he was at the top of his career.  Before you say how do I know that, why don't the three of us (you, I, and MJ) have a little chat live not by email but on the phone.  MJ will change his number after speaking to you.  Not because, he does not want to talk to you any more, but because he does not associate with losers.

Before you say anything about me.  I have as a track record (plus the tax returns to prove it) with the companies I have worked for as always becoming number one in sales, however, if the companies I have worked for were to change the playing field while I was at the top of my game, to where I would have to compete without allowing me to use my personality as a clicker for clinching sales that no one else could close, then I would be just like everyone else.  On a level playing field Satoh and Reisman would have an even chance to win against each other.

My personality is an unfair advantage to the people that try to compete against me.  But unlike my personality, I do not get to use a piece of equipment that would allow me to enhance what comes to me naturally.  Yes, and by the way, every single person that does compete with me complains that I must be doing something wrong since they never achieve what I achieve.

Smile

This was sent to me in a private message as well.

I don't want to harp on how silly your entire post is for too long, but bear in mind that a person's skill level and attitude are two separate issues.  I made the point that Marty Reisman is a jerk regardless of how good he is/was at table tennis during his prime.  He's a whiny brat who couldn't adapt and obviously hates the fact that athletes took over a sport from an awkwardly moving person.  It's very reminiscent of the people who think there should be a whites only basketball league because they think the over-athleticism ruined the sport.

Also, your personality from your single post demonstrates an undeserved arrogance that would surely repel anyone from you.  If you actually had any of the qualities which you apparently think you possess, you wouldn't need to come on here and demagogue about yourself.  In fact, you strike me as sadly insecure.
jeannn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeannn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2011 at 3:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic