Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone tried Timo Boll W5?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 10:54am
A response I got from a butterflyonline.com rep:

"With the rise in counterfeiting Butterfly Japan has provided less information over the years regarding blade construction. We don’t know what type of wood that is used in W5 & W7."

Understandable.

Edited by DreiZ - 10/29/2014 at 10:54am
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Sponsored Links

cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 6:45pm
I wouldn't say that is "understandable." It's a pathetic response from a rep who obviously screams, "I don't care." My and others' dealings with them over the past decade has been the same. 

Anyone with some scant knowledge of woods and blade construction can take the blade apart and tell what layers are in it. Therefore, if a Chinese company wanted to copy it, it wouldn't exactly be brain surgery. And they wouldn't just call Butterfly customer service and ask them! lol. 
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by cheondo cheondo wrote:

I wouldn't say that is "understandable." It's a pathetic response from a rep who obviously screams, "I don't care." My and others' dealings with them over the past decade has been the same. 

Anyone with some scant knowledge of woods and blade construction can take the blade apart and tell what layers are in it. Therefore, if a Chinese company wanted to copy it, it wouldn't exactly be brain surgery. And they wouldn't just call Butterfly customer service and ask them! lol. 

My past experience has been rather good with btyonline.com. I returned some stuff and they even refunded me return shipping no questions asked.

So I cant really assume the rep does not care but it tells me that the American Butterfly vendor has little to no communication with the Japanese Butterfly company. They just receive product and sell it. Nothing special.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2014 at 7:02pm
So, the vendor doesn't know and makes up some BS story about the Chinese copying BTY's paddles! Too funny. It's also fairly obvious that the BTYs don't communicate with each other. Their country's respective websites are all quite different. BTY in Korea had the most elaborate and detailed exposition of their blades. The US site has almost nothing. The descriptions of the blades were like something a middle school student wrote. I remember the Defense 2 was "For Paul Bunyan like defense". WTH is that?! lol. 
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2014 at 7:28pm
Pretty good control but I need more power. Very expensive in my opinion! 
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2015 at 4:24pm
Is TB W5 in fact Korbel Speed, only 0.2mm thicker and with different handle?
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2015 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Is TB W5 in fact Korbel Speed, only 0.2mm thicker and with different handle?

Absolutely not. Two different blades. Handle shape (and colors obviously), thickness, head shape, speed and ball characteristics, etc. are much different.

Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2015 at 5:26pm
Most importantly, Korbel has 4 limba plies and ayous core, while TB 5 has 4 koto plies, and kiri core.
While top speed is about the same, properties are very different. Limba wood is soft, elastic, and as result Korbel provides better dwell time and flex at the neck, which is helpful for looping and brushing strokes in particular.
Koto is hard and stiff and less elastic. While top speed is about the same, on soft shots it may appear slower, because it does not have the limba kick and bounciness. The rigidity of Koto provides better control in blocking, short game and away from the table.
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Most importantly, Korbel has 4 limba plies and ayous core, while TB 5 has 4 koto plies, and kiri core.
While top speed is about the same, properties are very different. Limba wood is soft, elastic, and as result Korbel provides better dwell time and flex at the neck, which is helpful for looping and brushing strokes in particular.
Koto is hard and stiff and less elastic. While top speed is about the same, on soft shots it may appear slower, because it does not have the limba kick and bounciness. The rigidity of Koto provides better control in blocking, short game and away from the table.

You did not read correctly what mr. ray wrote he mentioned korbel speed not korbel two different blades, different construction, different wood plies.
Anyway tbw5 has koto outer ply, second limba and kiri core not 4 koto plies as you wrote.

Edited by adishorul - 02/11/2015 at 6:02pm
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2015 at 6:34pm
Victor is right regarding Korbel (limba-limba-ayous). Korbel Speed should be Korbel with koto outer plys instead of limba (koto-limba-ayous). If TB W5 is indeed koto-limba-kiri, that blade with squared ST handle might be interesting having the same composition as TB ALC without the arylate-carbon layers.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic