FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

"Regular" vs. "Professional" Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Regular" vs. "Professional" Rubbers
    Posted: 09/18/2011 at 12:22pm
From special experiences from some of the members in this forum, we know that pros have different versions of what we can get in a store - the professional version. We know about DHS' rubbers and some products from Butterfly (namely Tenergy) but what about any other rubbers.

Even more so, what rubber would you want a pro version of?  I know I'd like a pro Thor's.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Sponsored Links

djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 1:25pm
What is the rationale behind this?

Do the pros need these special rubbers in order to be on top?

Why? Aren't their skills good enough?

Can't make it work with plain old Tenergy? Really?
bryce_fx23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryce_fx23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 2:00pm
In my opinion they just boost, or tune they rubbers a lot.
The Chiniese players are useing the hardest rubbers that we can get and often they recive nice click:). They put much layers of booster thats all. Take a look of Ma Lin bat the rubbers doesnt stick well on the edges, becouse rubber is so much tensed.
artakwol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artakwol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by djnelsen djnelsen wrote:

It's just a simple marketing.

If Timo Ball uses Timo Boll ALC than many TT players try to buy this blade and no sense that one, which uses Timo Ball is something like ordinary car vs Formula 1 sports car.

But in the same time you need better motor to win the ride in Formula 1, whats why pro players need better blades and rubbers, created specially for their skills, to be able to bit the opponent effectively.
artakwol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artakwol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by bryce_fx23 bryce_fx23 wrote:

In my opinion they just boost, or tune they rubbers a lot... They put much layers of booster thats all.

I think that it the half of the story. It's obvious that e.g. pro's rubbers differs from the rubbers which we can get from the shop. It was in the previous threads, that this special rubbers even have pro's names stamped on it, created with specifications for the pro TT player.

Hurricane 3 rubbers have 4 different types- ordinary, province team, national team and for pro's personal.

This is the hole truth about TT marketing
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by artakwol artakwol wrote:

Originally posted by djnelsen djnelsen wrote:

It's just a simple marketing.

If Timo Ball uses Timo Boll ALC than many TT players try to buy this blade and no sense that one, which uses Timo Ball is something like ordinary car vs Formula 1 sports car.

But in the same time you need better motor to win the ride in Formula 1, whats why pro players need better blades and rubbers, created specially for their skills, to be able to bit the opponent effectively.
The blades are probably the same except the player chose their blade out of a line up of 15-20 blades. This info is from the pro's equipment thread.

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 3:13pm
So can anyone say what rubber they'd like a pro version of?  Besides Tenergy and DHS's stuff lol.

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 3:20pm
I don't belive the hype about pro version rubbers. Why would a manufacturer make different versions? Why not sell the pro version and charge more for it?

Speaking to a retailer who's got some insight in the business, he said that the pro version was centerpieces of the "rubber" as these have better quality.

Spoke to a sponsored player about this, and he said that the only difference between his "pro" version was that he always knew exactly what hardness he got. If he bought the rubber in a shop, the hardness can vary some, but his pro versions are always the same.

Things might have changed with the introduction of factory boosting, as I belive some pro's get their rubbers boosted to perform the way they like and not every one wants the same amount of boosting.
The holy grail
artakwol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artakwol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

I don't belive the hype about pro version rubbers. Why would a manufacturer make different versions? Why not sell the pro version and charge more for it?

So they do. Hurricana ordinary costs $17, national version $55.

Don't kill me please, I heard it from my well known in Armenia TT mate, may be this is wrong, but many rubbers are made in the same (e.g. butterfly) factory, just different brand names and specifications.

It like the same water in different bottles and brand names- I know some examples in Armenia in this market.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by artakwol artakwol wrote:

So they do. Hurricana ordinary costs $17, national version $55.

Don't kill me please, I heard it from my well known in Armenia TT mate, may be this is wrong, but many rubbers are made in the same (e.g. butterfly) factory, just different brand names and specifications.

It like the same water in different bottles and brand names- I know some examples in Armenia in this market.

Your story about the factory is not surprising and already well known amongst most tt players. Like certain Yasaka, Nittaku blades are made in Sweden, nittaku is making their new rubbers in the same factory as tenergy, etc. Granted, even though they are made in the same factory, they are of course completely unique rubbers, i.e. there is nothing else like spring sponge on the market, and its not like its being used on other rubbers. I know butterfly assembles, meaning they attach the rubber to the sponge, in Japan, and they make all their blades in their own factories (someone provided a nice video on the assembly process a month or two ago)

The rubbers given to professionals are not necessarily different, but more often than not, hand selected by the manufacturers from a large sheet (commercial rubbers may be the odds and ends compared to the provincial and national rubbers). I'm sure most pros tune themselves, but just want the highest quality rubber. Of course some rubbers are custom made, such as Wang Hao's sriver with BS sponge. 
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
konnichwakid1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konnichwakid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 7:51pm
Why do people think there is a Pro version of Tenergy? The Tenergy Boll, Mizutani, and any pro uses can be bought anywhere at anytime. 
Jun Mizutani with Tenergies
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by konnichwakid1 konnichwakid1 wrote:

Why do people think there is a Pro version of Tenergy? The Tenergy Boll, Mizutani, and any pro uses can be bought anywhere at anytime. 

That is simply a falsehood. Professional tenergies/all butterfly rubbers come with no package and this special stamp, along with a letter marked on the back (in this case U, I saw a professional bryce speed with an H, not sure what that might mean). Even ThaiLe said that the tenergy he was given by someone on the chinese team played much differently than the normal version. 

Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2011 at 10:30pm
Stop being ignorant.  Of course there are professional versions of equipment.  I've tried a nice variety of it too and it is definitely different.  Yes they are produced in the same factory but they play differently.  Pro Tenergy feels different and has more gears (you can hit harder without it maxing out).  I've tried pro Drum which has a denser sponge (plus more consistent sponge) and tackier, more consistent topsheet. I've tried a pro TBS made to Ma Long's specs; it is heavier and much denser.  Other people who have tried it (without being told it is custom) found it felt and played completely different than their own store bought TBS.  All of the above you can't get from regular stores.

Stop denying the truth.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 4:41am
Having a balde made to fit their specs isn't the same as a pro version, since every one can get that. Might not be able to get it from Bty, but there are plenty of blade makers around who can get you a blade with the spec your require. Sure, it wont be marked as TBS, but if the construction isn't the same as TBS, then Ma Long's blade isn't a TBS, it's a custoum made blade labelled TBS, most likely for marketing reasons.

As for pro rubbers, I'm still sceptical towards this.
The holy grail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 9:48am
Nobody's answered my question yet lol.

Just assume they exist. Lol.

Edited by TheRobot99 - 09/19/2011 at 9:51am

PTTC VP - 2011-12
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 10:32am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

That is simply a falsehood. Professional tenergies/all butterfly rubbers come with no package and this special stamp, along with a letter marked on the back (in this case U, I saw a professional bryce speed with an H, not sure what that might mean). Even ThaiLe said that the tenergy he was given by someone on the chinese team played much differently than the normal version. 

About the T05 Pro thing.  In Butterfly's recent europe catalog, there's a whole section dedicated to Tenergy, and a quote from Timo:

"In order to stop the rumors once and for all: it is possible for everybody because I use perfectly ordinary Tenergy05 that you can buy in any shop.  Also I don't add tuners or other stuff but use them as normal; this is a quality that presently only Butterfly rubbers achieve"

This could mean that Timo is one of the few pros who use standard T05, and loads of other pros have special versions with added secret sauce.  But if Timo can play at that level with boggo T05, then I don't see the need for Pro versions, except to suit individual styles for individual players ("I want it 2.5deg harder" etc etc)

Or it could be a load of Butterfly marketing rubbish and Timo goes to sleep laughing every night in a specially tuned Pro Tenergy bed, and when he gets up in the morning he bounces so high he hits his head on the ceiling.  Explains all of his back injuries over the years.

I've always wondered if the "Pro" Tenergies have simply been "not for resale" versions, supplied directly to sponsored players.  Standard rubbers provided as part of the sponsorship deal, so in effect "free" to the player.  But Butterfly doesn't want the players to just sell them on, so marks them in a special way.  Kind of like how you can buy multipacks of Pepsi (other colas are available) from the supermarket and they're marked "not for individual sale".   But this is just idle speculation by me, and until I see a Pro version and have a go (not likely), then I must defer to the people who have tried it out. 

It's probably somewhere in the middle - slightly different hardnesses for individual players.  T05 on a Spinart sponge, that kind of thing.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 10:46am
I'd believe he uses a standard T05, but I wont believe it's untuned until I buy it for him and glue it on his blade myself LOL
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

I'd believe he uses a standard T05, but I wont believe it's untuned until I buy it for him and glue it on his blade myself LOL

What?  Are you saying that Butterfly would lie to me in catalog form?  Why would such a caring-sharing-non-profit organisation do something like that?  I'm shocked!  Wink
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
artakwol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artakwol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 11:27am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Or it could be a load of Butterfly marketing rubbish and Timo goes to sleep laughing every night in a specially tuned Pro Tenergy bed...

Do someone thinks that Timo uses ordinary rubbers from the shop?

It's really a marketing rubbish

Edited by artakwol - 09/19/2011 at 12:00pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 11:44am

What?  Are you saying that Butterfly would lie to me in catalog form?  Why would such a caring-sharing-non-profit organisation do something like that?  I'm shocked!  Wink

90% of players use Sriver don't you know
Derf59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derf59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 11:47am

Speaking to a retailer who's got some insight in the business, he said that the pro version was centerpieces of the "rubber" as these have better quality.

Spoke to a sponsored player about this, and he said that the only difference between his "pro" version was that he always knew exactly what hardness he got. If he bought the rubber in a shop, the hardness can vary some, but his pro versions are always the same.

Things might have changed with the introduction of factory boosting, as I belive some pro's get their rubbers boosted to perform the way they like and not every one wants the same amount of boosting.
Perhaps we should speak of "different" quality.
1° You know that sponge are not made by piece of 17x17cm, it's made by larger piece and it's very difficult to have the same density in the center than from the borders.
In the center, the sponge has better quality.

So perhaps during the manufacturing, better pieces are reserved to "pro" and others are selled.

2° Pro players use "boosted" rubber, but they don't do it themselves, it's the factory which do this.
So pro rubber are boosted, and boosted, and boosted more than 1 time.

3° Some "pro rubber" have sometimes some "specific" sponges that you can't find in shop.
Ex : blue sponge of H3, try to find a H3 commercial blue sponge ;)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Derf59 Derf59 wrote:

3° Some "pro rubber" have sometimes some "specific" sponges that you can't find in shop.

It's not so hard to find commercial H3 on blue sponge, just not common outside China
Derf59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derf59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 1:02pm

Originally posted by Derf59 Derf59 wrote:

It's not so hard to find commercial H3 on blue sponge, just not common outside China
Here it's old version of H3, I've forgotten "neo" LOL
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 3:08pm
If Timo can play with T05 exactly as the ones you can buy from Paddle Palace, great.  It does not mean other Butterfly-using pros could too.   Many finicky (read extremely picky) pros get their rubbers and paddles fine-tuned to their tastes for as long as table tennis was a competitive sport.  It's naive to think Butterfly, DHS or any other brand are not doing the same to please some of their sponsored players. 
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 5:32pm

Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

About the T05 Pro thing.  In Butterfly's recent europe catalog, there's a whole section dedicated to Tenergy, and a quote from Timo:

"In order to stop the rumors once and for all: it is possible for everybody because I use perfectly ordinary Tenergy05 that you can buy in any shop.  Also I don't add tuners or other stuff but use them as normal; this is a quality that presently only Butterfly rubbers achieve"

This could mean that Timo is one of the few pros who use standard T05, and loads of other pros have special versions with added secret sauce.  But if Timo can play at that level with boggo T05, then I don't see the need for Pro versions, except to suit individual styles for individual players ("I want it 2.5deg harder" etc etc)

Or it could be a load of Butterfly marketing rubbish and Timo goes to sleep laughing every night in a specially tuned Pro Tenergy bed, and when he gets up in the morning he bounces so high he hits his head on the ceiling.  Explains all of his back injuries over the years.

I've always wondered if the "Pro" Tenergies have simply been "not for resale" versions, supplied directly to sponsored players.  Standard rubbers provided as part of the sponsorship deal, so in effect "free" to the player.  But Butterfly doesn't want the players to just sell them on, so marks them in a special way.  Kind of like how you can buy multipacks of Pepsi (other colas are available) from the supermarket and they're marked "not for individual sale".   But this is just idle speculation by me, and until I see a Pro version and have a go (not likely), then I must defer to the people who have tried it out. 

It's probably somewhere in the middle - slightly different hardnesses for individual players.  T05 on a Spinart sponge, that kind of thing.

Of course I'm not saying that every single pro out there uses some special tenergy, but its obvious that special versions of rubbers exist. Its a lot more obvious in the tennis world, where most of the pros use the rackets they originally played with and changed because of marketing and or, they get sponsored by a new company, and use a "new racket" but its an older mold. One good example is Rafa nadal. His Babolat Pure Drive Cortex is much different than the commercial version. The cortex was a built in dampener that reduces vibration, but if you look at Rafa's racket, his is just PAINTED on. Professionals are always picky, because they always need to be at their best, and that might mean getting special equipment. I mean that is why Butterfly offers the Bespoke service in the first place, it is because people may like a certain handle style (lets say timo boll spirit) coupled with the design of a Korbel SK7, the composition of a MJ ZLC, and under 80g. Anything is possible, so why not get what you want?
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2011 at 11:27pm
top pros use custom rubbers, simply because they can...

DHS's CNT rubbers (not the ones sold to public) are not from mass production, so DHS's rubbers have at least five categories: commercial, provincial, national (for general public), national (for general CNT members) and national (customized to players), there might be overlapping though. Not all NAT rubbers are with blue sponges, in fact there are more than 6 sponge colors. 

As for BTY i've only seen regular and "not for sale", not sure about whether there is other sub sections within not for sale
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic