Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What motivates someone to use short pips?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 4:08am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

There are players of many diverse styles who use SP. A lot of the benefits of using SP have already been discussed, like the ability to hit through spin, the ability to finish with a strong drive or smash, the ability to flat hit, the ability to hit with great power.

Using it to hide weakness is the last reason Korean club players use SP.

One thing not yet discussed in detail is the ability to control the spin. It is way easier to put the brakes on a loop using SP. You can do it in a number of ways, some are very subtle and difficult to determine the ammount of spin returned. Blocking isn't the only option in this, you also have a "roll" and a counter that has less spin on it than it would appear, yet land.

Disruption of timing has been touched upon. that is also a good thing about an SP rubber, especially if the opponent sees only loop/powerloop crazy opponents all the time. To this opponent, changing up the speeds, keeping it short, and countering the ball can really wreck havoc.

Our club No 1 is a J-Pen single sided SP player, and he by coincidence is right about the same size and fast footwork as Ryu Seung Min. He can do just about every trick in the book with SP. He prefers to be a control player who keeps it short, or places it in the place where the attack is about the lowest percentage. If you give him the chance, he will do a warp speed step-around FH and blast a 40 mm hole right through you or your racket that will also leave an exit hole through 3 layers of concrete wall. He can do loop to loop rally from distance, but the spin is tricky, sometimes medium, often lighter than you think. Control by placement and consistancy are his point winners 80% of the time though. This dude is around USATT2300 level minimum.

In our area, the is also a TT club owner (female) who has SP on BH and she is very frustrating to play. She can take any loop off the bounce and give it back to you with a lot of different spins. If you cannot precisely read the spins or setup a finish away from her, you will have a long day. you try pushing the ball back, she can finsih on BH, or step around on FH to pulverize and victimize you. She is too good for the area women, she plays men's div 2 city and is prolly around USATT 2200.

These are two examples of players who use SP and are not "chumps". There are many others with different styles as well.

a famous japanese coach explained that in asia the most talented players were taught to play with pips and the not so talented play with smooth and he stressed the fact that western coachs go the other way round
Sponsored Links

sticharo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sticharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 9:35am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Time pressure, hitting the ball early off the bounce. Speed, Try to hit fast shots. 

Lots of good comments. If you were to add blocking to kenney88's comment wouldn't it then encapsulate the comments on this thread?

Yet, you can do everything stated so far with inverted fairly effectively, right? (No disrespect intended toward pips players!)

So really does playing with SP amount to just giving your opponent a slightly different look?

Edited by sticharo - 09/21/2011 at 9:36am
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 10:34am
"Yet, you can do everything stated so far with inverted fairly effectively, right? (No disrespect intended toward pips players!)"

Not really. Taking the ball early while redirecting it is very difficult with inverted. Flat-hitting spinny loops is also more difficult.

I like SP on the BH b/c I like to take the ball early, redirect it, -- better angles and placement --, and also blocking with it, while not necessarily easier than inverted, will give the opponent more trouble.

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 10:34am
Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Not to add to the confusion here, but I play a lot against short pips and I don't find it any harder to loop against sp blocks then it is to loop against inverted blocks. It is how ever different which is why most people struggle with it, since they are more used to loop against an inverted block.
it also depends on the type of loops you do.the more spin you put, the harder the next shot is for you.watch this videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_5zlEU_RtMat:0:501:512:202:292:412:47all errors because of he's pips.if they can do that to suss imagine what pips can do to you and me LOLLOLLOL

Again, I disagree. Suss might miss due to the pips, but not because the pips are deceptive or in any way harder to play against, but because he isn't used to play against pips and the pip block breaks his rhythm.

Most people tend to practice against double inverted players and are used to the balls coming from the inverted rubber, that's why they some times have problem playing against pips, short or long. There is no "secret" about them and they certainly aren't harder to play against, but rather the opposite.

Don't get me wrong, I used to struggle a lot against sp players until I begun practice with people who used sp, and now that I'm used to play against it, I don't find it harder to loop against sp blocks then inverted blocks.
The holy grail
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 11:33am
Check out the Brian Pace thread on training in Romania. It has links to his youtube channel where he explains why he switched to short pips on the bh.

Basically he says his backhand swing is naturally more suited to a flatter hitting stroke than looping and the flatter hit gives the opponent a different look than his fh loop.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 2:47pm
The people that play against my 802-40 think it plays like inverted. Some are surprised at how much spin I can get. There is nothing tricky about SP. SP do tend to scrub some spin off the ball but not that much different from inverted. How much depends more on the stroke and the ability to understand what spin is coming in and neutralize it. One can do the same with inverted. I think it is how people tend to use SP that makes it different from normal inverted. I tend to flat hit a lot more with a lower trajectory with SP.

I like the fact that I can concentrate more on hitting than reacting to spin. I like the way SP blocks and flat hits.   At slower speeds I can brush the ball and return a BH loop. It takes a lot of wrist action. Also the stroke must be more up and down and not over the top like inverted. I find that BH looping with inverted is much easier even if the inverted rubber is 1mm Reflectoid. I like the lower weight of SP.   My TBS+2xT05 weighed 181 gm which is more that I like to swing around. When I replaced the BH side with 802-40 1.8mm the weight dropped to 165 gm. I can handle that.

The reality is that I am more of a ball whacker than a looper. I was told a long time ago that I should try SP for the way I play and it took me about 1 year to get around to it last winter. The only other options I see is a thin inverted rubber going back to LP.

Those comments about not having a good back hand are not correct. Accurately flat hitting requires precision.   Even playing with LPs requires precision. They are just different.

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Those comments about not having a good back hand are not correct. Accurately flat hitting requires precision.   Even playing with LPs requires precision. They are just different.

I think it's more about not having a good inverted bh. Cause I agree that hitting with sp requires a great deal of skill, but it's very different from the skill to use inverted.
The holy grail
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 3:55pm

Not to add to the confusion here, but I play a lot against short pips and I don't find it any harder to loop against sp blocks then it is to loop against inverted blocks. It is how ever different which is why most people struggle with it, since they are more used to loop against an inverted block.
it also depends on the type of loops you do.the more spin you put, the harder the next shot is for you.watch this videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_5zlEU_RtMat:0:501:512:202:292:412:47all errors because of he's pips.if they can do that to suss imagine what pips can do to you and me LOLLOLLOL

Again, I disagree. Suss might miss due to the pips, but not because the pips are deceptive or in any way harder to play against, but because he isn't used to play against pips and the pip block breaks his rhythm.

Most people tend to practice against double inverted players and are used to the balls coming from the inverted rubber, that's why they some times have problem playing against pips, short or long. There is no "secret" about them and they certainly aren't harder to play against, but rather the opposite.

Don't get me wrong, I used to struggle a lot against sp players until I begun practice with people who used sp, and now that I'm used to play against it, I don't find it harder to loop against sp blocks then inverted blocks.

no, he misses because the pips are deceptive, and you never really know how the ball is coming.
I have played with pips and I have trained against them so I know what I'm talking about.
remember that it's christian suss we are talking about, not a drunk guy we found in the bar...
he probably played a couple of times against pips in his life...
please don't be disrespectful to these people.

Edited by sa01 - 09/21/2011 at 4:04pm
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

The people that play against my 802-40 think it plays like inverted. Some are surprised at how much spin I can get. There is nothing tricky about SP. SP do tend to scrub some spin off the ball but not that much different from inverted. How much depends more on the stroke and the ability to understand what spin is coming in and neutralize it. One can do the same with inverted. I think it is how people tend to use SP that makes it different from normal inverted. I tend to flat hit a lot more with a lower trajectory with SP.

I like the fact that I can concentrate more on hitting than reacting to spin. I like the way SP blocks and flat hits.   At slower speeds I can brush the ball and return a BH loop. It takes a lot of wrist action. Also the stroke must be more up and down and not over the top like inverted. I find that BH looping with inverted is much easier even if the inverted rubber is 1mm Reflectoid. I like the lower weight of SP.   My TBS+2xT05 weighed 181 gm which is more that I like to swing around. When I replaced the BH side with 802-40 1.8mm the weight dropped to 165 gm. I can handle that.

The reality is that I am more of a ball whacker than a looper. I was told a long time ago that I should try SP for the way I play and it took me about 1 year to get around to it last winter. The only other options I see is a thin inverted rubber going back to LP.

802-40 is as close as you'll get to inverted.
if you use other rubbers it'll get harder for your opponents.
sticharo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sticharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 4:07pm
 [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Harder for opponents AND harder to play with?

What rubbers would you recommend for someone  just starting to play with SP?

Does using a rubber less like inverted make it harder to use? Far harder? Slightly harder?

And what is the point of using rubbers like 802-40 if it's so similar to inverted?
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 4:10pm

no, he misses because the pips are deceptive, and you never really know how the ball is coming.I have played with pips and I have trained against them so I know what I'm talking about.well the word deceptive may be a bit left to interpretation, the balls they return (I'm talking about the nasty ones) are different than the ones you get with inverted (very predictable) so that's why it brings so many problems to players.

The way you desribe it, it seems as we disagree about the term deceptive rather then the effect of the sp. The way I see it, sp aren't deceptive at all, but they do react different to inverted, which is why some players find them hard to play against.

LP are different, as they are deceptive. Still no magic power to them, but when playing against lp, the amount of spin you put on the ball is much more important then against sp, cause I've yet to come across a sp that actually reverses the spin. In fact, I feel like sp react pretty much like inverted, but to a lesser extent.

When it comes to junk rubbers, I get the feeling a lot of players focus to much on what effect these rubbers have on the opponent rather then what effect they have on the users game. The rubber won't win you any matches, you have to be able to use it properly to win matches. I know how to play against both lp and sp, but I can still lose to players using it, not because of the rubber, but simply because the player is better then me.
The holy grail
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by sticharo sticharo wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Harder for opponents AND harder to play with?

What rubbers would you recommend for someone  just starting to play with SP?

Does using a rubber less like inverted make it harder to use? Far harder? Slightly harder?

And what is the point of using rubbers like 802-40 if it's so similar to inverted?
[/QUOTE]

if you are starting you could use 802-40 or 802 or dhs 652 (this is a bit more saucy Big smile) or spectol (expensive and nothing special).
in the case of 802-40 I would say the advantage is less sensitive to spin and encourages you to play flat hit close to table rather than to loop far from table.

Edited by sa01 - 09/21/2011 at 5:10pm
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 4:38pm

no, he misses because the pips are deceptive, and you never really know how the ball is coming.I have played with pips and I have trained against them so I know what I'm talking about.well the word deceptive may be a bit left to interpretation, the balls they return (I'm talking about the nasty ones) are different than the ones you get with inverted (very predictable) so that's why it brings so many problems to players.

The way you desribe it, it seems as we disagree about the term deceptive rather then the effect of the sp. The way I see it, sp aren't deceptive at all, but they do react different to inverted, which is why some players find them hard to play against.

LP are different, as they are deceptive. Still no magic power to them, but when playing against lp, the amount of spin you put on the ball is much more important then against sp, cause I've yet to come across a sp that actually reverses the spin. In fact, I feel like sp react pretty much like inverted, but to a lesser extent.

When it comes to junk rubbers, I get the feeling a lot of players focus to much on what effect these rubbers have on the opponent rather then what effect they have on the users game. The rubber won't win you any matches, you have to be able to use it properly to win matches. I know how to play against both lp and sp, but I can still lose to players using it, not because of the rubber, but simply because the player is better then me.

deception is not acting like you expect it to act.
if you know exactly how the ball is coming you can do the appropriate shot and don't miss.
if you don't, you can miss.

lp's are not that deceptive because the logic of lps is more simple.
you get what you give. give a lot of spin, get a lot of spin.
give no spin, get no spin.
here is where playing a lot against inverted comes into play.
you are so automatized to inverted that long pips become a challenge because you have to think before you make each stroke.

the behavior of sp is a bit harder to guess.
it does behave similar to inverted.
but in some shots you get a ball that is hard to categorize.
so for example you loop really hard 2 times and receive a ball similar to inverted.
you loop once more and get this weightless ball with a bit of backspin that when looped generally goes to the net (just like suss in the video).

there is a lot of variation in sp rubbers so some will be easier to handle than others.
then you got half long pips, even long pips with sponge used like sp.....

Edited by sa01 - 09/21/2011 at 4:42pm
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 5:10pm
You can do similar blocks with invert too, a chop block will have some backspin, a touch block will give a slow floating ball, ...  Maybe because it's simpler and more effective to whack the ball back with stop spin, you don't see many invert players doing these type of blocks. 
For inverted, the strokes to do the different blocks are quite different so there is not really anything "deceptive" about it.  Can different blocks be done with SP using strokes that looks almost identical? 
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 5:18pm

'deception' with pips will depend on your playing level and how you use it with the other side (rubber).

Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

You can do similar blocks with invert too, a chop block will have some backspin, a touch block will give a slow floating ball, ...  Maybe because it's simpler and more effective to whack the ball back with stop spin, you don't see many invert players doing these type of blocks. 
For inverted, the strokes to do the different blocks are quite different so there is not really anything "deceptive" about it.  Can different blocks be done with SP using strokes that looks almost identical? 

well the whole point is that you always block the same way with sp and the ball is not always identical. this is due to the rubber itself, not your strokes.
that's what confuses and creates mistakes.
you can do many shots with inverted but you have to make different movements so it's easy for the opponent to see what you are doing.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Short pips allow a flatter trajectory so the ball can be blocked/hit back faster.  The downside to this speed advantage is less spin generating capability.  So if you like to spin everything and create an arc to carry the ball over the net, pips are not for you.
Best pick of the answers IMO, exactly what I would have said.
The Older I get, The better I was.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 5:47pm

well the whole point is that you always block the same way with sp and the ball is not always identical. this is due to the rubber itself, not your strokes.
you can do many shots with inverted but you have to make different movements so it's easy for the opponent to see what you are doing.

That's a myth, absolutely false.  Gao Jun is the master of blocking with different spin with short pips, and she varies the contact and direction of follow-through all the time to vary the spin.  For some reason inverted rubber users always like to spread this kind of false information about any kind of pips.

sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

'deception' with pips will depend on your playing level and how you use it with the other side (rubber).

even world class level players have problems with pips so it's not like level matters that much LOL
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 5:52pm

That's a myth, absolutely false.  Gao Jun is the master of blocking with different spin with short pips, and she varies the contact and direction of follow-through all the time to vary the spin.  For some reason inverted rubber users always like to spread this kind of false information about any kind of pips.

1- I'm not an inverted user, I use sp
2- yes, if you come to a semi god level you can do all crazy things, just like with any rubber.
but this is not the world us amateur wannabe players live in.
in our world simple flat block can create many problems to opponents due to variations rubber creates.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 6:11pm

That's too bad, because you do not have a real understanding of what you are using.

2- yes, if you come to a semi god level you can do all crazy things, just like with any rubber.
in our world simple flat block can create many problems to opponents due to variations rubber creates.

That's because short pips require you to have a more consistent contact when blocking to get a consistent block back than inverted.  If your contacts vary from block to block then you will get slightly different spin back at your opponent all the time.  The variation is due to your inconsistent contact, not the rubber.

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 6:12pm

well the whole point is that you always block the same way with sp and the ball is not always identical. this is due to the rubber itself, not your strokes.that's what confuses and creates mistakes.you can do many shots with inverted but you have to make different movements so it's easy for the opponent to see what you are doing.

It doesn't happen very often, but here I agree with RR and was actually about to make a similar reply my self when I found RR beat me to the punch. There is no random effect in sp (or lp for that matter) so the difference you get is what your opponent have created. At our low level, it might seem randon since we aren't able to perform the block in the same way, even though we think we do.

The reason why I find lp harder to play against the sp is that with lp there is some time reversal, meaning, you get back the opposite of the spin you created, but sometimes the ball comes back dead, all depending on the amount of spin you created in the first place. Assuming the lp player blocks the same, that is. A good lp player can sure play his tricks to fool even skilled players.
The holy grail
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 6:26pm

That's too bad, because you do not have a real understanding of what you are using.

That's because short pips require you to have a more consistent contact when blocking to get a consistent block back than inverted.  If your contacts vary from block to block then you will get slightly different spin back at your opponent all the time.  The variation is due to your inconsistent contact, not the rubber.

sorry but that "you don't understand this, I am superior" attitude is so lame Embarrassed
not only that, you create confusion to players.
what I suggest is that every player who wants to know what sp is all about tries it and draws his own conclusions (and please do this based on your own experience and on your own level, not on what gao jun or wang tao or he zhi wen or liu goliang can do or did in the past)
Wink
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 6:27pm

even world class level players have problems with pips so it's not like level matters that much LOL

I think you are confused.

sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 6:48pm

well it's evident from the video that suss had problems with the pips.
and it's also common sense that he played/trained many times against sp rubbers.
so.... draw your own conclusions.

Edited by sa01 - 09/21/2011 at 6:50pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 6:53pm

and it's also common sense that he played/trained many times against sp rubbers.

so you draw your conclusion on 1 match?

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 6:58pm
Waste of time.
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 7:01pm

so you draw your conclusion on 1 match?

well I said that even pro players had problems with sp.
not that every pro player had problems with sp.
one example would be enough to support my statement.
but watch more of he zhi wen's matches and you'll find a similar pattern in many.
remember that if something makes a pro slightly uncomfortable in his game it will make you have nightmares for days LOL

Edited by sa01 - 09/21/2011 at 7:08pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 7:10pm
but watch more of he zhi wen's matches and you'll find a similar pattern.

Oh well what the heck...

Even pros have problem with pips because the blocks are faster and flatter than inverted blocks, and in the right hands short pips allow users to block with subtle spin variations easier than with inverted.  It is NOT because short pips are unpredictable.  If you don't accept this fact there's nothing to argue about.
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2011 at 7:35pm

but watch more of he zhi wen's matches and you'll find a similar pattern.

Oh well what the heck...

Even pros have problem with pips because the blocks are faster and flatter than inverted blocks, and in the right hands short pips allow users to block with subtle spin variations easier than with inverted.  It is NOT because short pips are unpredictable.  If you don't accept this fact there's nothing to argue about.

producing spin is always easier with inverted because the surface of contact is larger.
unpredictable or not is subjective, it becomes unpredictable when variables such as speed, reaction, etc come into play (you don't have that much time to think).
but it does add a variable to the game that many find it hard to handle.
from lowest levels like ours to highest like suss'.
Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic