FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

hardbat on one side

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hardback View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hardback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hardbat on one side
    Posted: 09/23/2011 at 1:45pm
has anyone tried using hardbat on one side. Is there an advantage to this, or better just use LP?
Sponsored Links

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 2:03pm
Great for blocking, service return, flicks and chops. Must play close for offense so sponge pips is better to balance the FH. OX short pips offers more control than LP's. I have returned to inverted for BH after a high level player told me my BH was much more effective using inverted. I pull out the old hard bat once in awhile just for fun and change of pace.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2011 at 5:09pm
I have done it. I put Peacekeeper 0X on the BH side of my Samsonov Alpha. If I was attacking I found it easy to control. However, I also found it to be too fast and didn't block loops well because it didn't absorb energy. I am sure I could have got used to it.   I do know that it returned what the opponents considered to be 'heavy' balls and they frequency hit the balls into the net. However, better players know to play the ball and not the stroke and it didn't fool them unless the pace was fast and furious.   The difference in spin between the Rakza 7 and the Peacekeeper is great so the opponents had to keep track but it is easy to tell what rubber hit the ball by the sound as well as sight.

It is pretty easy to return serves with a hard bat rubber. Returning serves is my weakness so that is why I like to have the BH rubber not be quite as spiny as the FH rubber.    
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2011 at 11:50am
Valor Premier offers the greatest control of all the hardbat rubbers. It is very easy to stand close to the table and chop-block loop after loop, or simply hit the ball placing your shots. Returning serves is also easier than with inverted rubbers or sponge/pips rubbers. What you do with your inverted rubber or other rubber it is up to your style. (The rubber will be ITTF approved on October 1st, 2011)

CHEERS!

Edited by gnopgnipster - 09/24/2011 at 11:51am
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2011 at 3:15pm
jeez man just help the person out and not go full on advertising your products on every post

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2011 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

jeez man just help the person out and not go full on advertising your products on every post

Smackman, thank you for reading my posts. Now what is wrong with telling someone (who asks about hardbat rubber) about the best hardbat rubber on the market? If others can bring up products such as Peacekeeper, DR Evil etc. in this and other threads related to hardbat, why can I bring up a rubber which is currently the best hardbat rubber made? If you noticed I don't bring up hardbat rubber unless the thread is discussing a hardbat rubber or related hardbat product.

CHEERS!
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2011 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by gnopgnipster gnopgnipster wrote:

Smackman, thank you for reading my posts. Now what is wrong with telling someone (who asks about hardbat rubber) about the best hardbat rubber on the market? If others can bring up products such as Peacekeeper, DR Evil etc. in this and other threads related to hardbat, why can I bring up a rubber which is currently the best hardbat rubber made? If you noticed I don't bring up hardbat rubber unless the thread is discussing a hardbat rubber or related hardbat product.

CHEERS!
 (ok Im smileing now so no worries) how about you send me two samples to NZ and I will give to 1 lefty (who only uses ox rubbers who has been playing comps for 1 year but also trains every week his stlye is chop block and wacking the wrong ball or high one, and the other player uses Dr Evil 1 side and peacekeeper the other and he rolls/attacks and hits every ball he can from either side
actually I do have another player who uses butterfly 103 ? something and is entering the world veterans in 2014 (so lots of exposure there lol) 
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2011 at 2:29am

Valor Premier offers the greatest control of all the hardbat rubbers.

???   A rubber is controllable, it does have control.
What makes this rubber more controllable if all the hard bat rubber are supposed to be pretty much the same? Lets hear some facts and not marketing fluff.

In the rubber design process there must be a series of decisions. The rubber must have a certain amount of bounce and friction. Also the pips must be with a certain length and width. Why did the designer chose the final attributes? What attributes make Premier more controllable?

Now, you have a legitimate reason to make a pitch.
I have not played with all the different hard bat rubbers like Jay has. I have only played with Peacekeeper.
I am interested because I play with Peacekeeper on a Toxic 5 and I have used Peacekeeper on the BH of my Samsonov Alpha as stated in a post above. I even play with my hard bat against inverted players and really like to use the hard bat against LP and anti players.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2011 at 3:21am

Smackman, thank you for reading my posts. Now what is wrong with telling someone (who asks about hardbat rubber) about the best hardbat rubber on the market?
CHEERS!

If you know something about rubbers, and i assume you do, you'd know that the best rubber for one person may not be the best for another. So making a claim that "Valor Premier offers the greatest control of all the hardbat rubbers." sounds pretty self-promotional, as I doubt this is a fact for everyone. Embarrassed
Just make it clear that this is just your opinion, and not a 'fact', and you probably won't get any objections.Wink
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2011 at 3:35am
Want another opinion that's 100% commercial free?  Wink

Our club (LATTA) has at least 5 of the true top-20 hardbatters in the United States.  Their overwhelming hardbat rubber of choice is the Butterfly Orthodox. 

And no, I do not work for Butterfly... I actually dislike them quite a bit as a company.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2011 at 11:33am
I would think there would be a greater difference between OX pips vertical as opposed to horizontal than brand. For hardbat I use Yasaka A-1-2, and feel comfortable with it so no plans to change it on my beloved Hock blade.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2011 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I would think there would be a greater difference between OX pips vertical as opposed to horizontal than brand.

Interesting thought. If the rubbers are the same other than the pimple orientation then the pimple orientation may make a small difference. If you place you paddle flat on the table and put a ball on it then the ball will settle between 3 pips. The question now is pushing the ball which direction will take the least or most amount of force to roll the ball out between the three pips. It will take more force to push the ball directly over one pip than between the two pips. In practice the ball will not hit directly between three pips so I wonder if it makes that much difference.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I would think there would be a greater difference between OX pips vertical as opposed to horizontal than brand.

Interesting thought. If the rubbers are the same other than the pimple orientation then the pimple orientation may make a small difference. If you place you paddle flat on the table and put a ball on it then the ball will settle between 3 pips. The question now is pushing the ball which direction will take the least or most amount of force to roll the ball out between the three pips. It will take more force to push the ball directly over one pip than between the two pips. In practice the ball will not hit directly between three pips so I wonder if it makes that much difference.

From my experiences a short pips rubber's pimple orientation is not a factor in its performance.  Width, friction, hardness and height of the pips are the true defining factors.  Theoretically with long pips one could find noticeable difference between vertically and horizontally arranged pips, but even so I could not really feel it.

Edited by roundrobin - 09/25/2011 at 3:31pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Want another opinion that's 100% commercial free?  Wink

Our club (LATTA) has at least 5 of the true top-20 hardbatters in the United States.  Their overwhelming hardbat rubber of choice is the Butterfly Orthodox. 

And no, I do not work for Butterfly... I actually dislike them quite a bit as a company.

I'm not sure which players you are referring to, but my guess, if they like Butterfly Orthodox, is that these are very accomplished sponge players as well.  Many hardbat players liken the feel of Butterfly Orthodox as being almost as though it had sponge.  And many hardbat players who use the larger and more classic racket opt away from Butterfly Orthodox because it becomes relatively heavy on the larger blade.

I've not played with Valor Premium, but I've played with Reisman and the ATP "Leland" rubbers.  My understanding is that Valor Premium and those two rubbers are based on the same mold/design.  Alberto can correct me if this is not correct.  I have zero doubt that Valor Premium is a good hardbat rubber, but I haven't used it and am in no position to say much more than that - which is based on reports from others and that it has been used to win at least one Championship hardbat event.  I will add that I think it is good form when advocating a product in an online forum to clearly disclose if you have a personal or financial interest in the product. 

I use Dr. Evil, and have tried many other rubbers.  I ended up with Dr. Evil for a few reasons. 
1) It is lightweight.
2) It is low spin - with a spin output similar to the true Leyland rubbers I've tried.
3) It is cheap and usually easy to find.

I've stayed with it because it is what I've now become used to.  Other rubbers do play differently even if the difference is fairly subtle.  And since I'm still fixing and developing my game, I don't want to introduce another variable without a very good reason. At this time, I've come to the conclusion that for my style of play with hardbat against inverted players, Dr. Evil may not be the low price alternative that is seems to be.  I find I have to replace my rubber about every three months because the pips will either crack in the middle or separate at the base.  When this happens, the rubber plays differently in the areas that are breaking down.  Dr. Evil seldom sheds a pip, but its pips will degrade under constant duress. 

So perhaps another rubber like Valor Premium or Butterfly Orthodox would be more robust.  But I don't know.  I haven't played with either of those for extended periods of time. I doubt if very many people will have the problem I'm having with Dr. Evil.  But it is worth noting and considering if you hit a lot of shots with a lot of power and strong strokes.

As for the original post, sure why not play "hardbat" on one side.  If you do, keep in mind that you aren't limited to the USATT approved hardbat rubbers.  There are other spinnier options out there if you want.

At the last Nationals I ran into a guy who had Dr. Evil on his backhand.  I think he used this as his "disruptive" side.  When I showed him my hardbat with Dr. Evil on both sides, I think I perceived a slight cringe - but maybe I just imagined that.  :^)

FWIW, I'm not generally a fan of solving specific playing problems through equipment/gear changes.  I'm more of a fan of finding general approaches that serve a wider range of general needs and relying on training and practice to fix specifics.

Edited by wturber - 09/26/2011 at 2:53pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2011 at 7:58pm
I'm not sure which players you are referring to, but my guess, if they like Butterfly Orthodox, is that these are very accomplished sponge players as well.  Many hardbat players liken the feel of Butterfly Orthodox as being almost as though it had sponge.  And many hardbat players who use the larger and more classic racket opt away from Butterfly Orthodox because it becomes relatively heavy on the larger blade.

I am a firm believer that the highest level hardbat play can be accomplished by those who are professionally trained with short pips w/sponge the easiest.  Their transition to Orthodox is relatively painless.  As such, I don't believe a traditional hardbat rubber like Leyland is best suited for the highest level hardbat play. 

David Zhuang could have won US Nationals Hardbat title with Orthodox rubber ten years straight if he cared... Just my opinion, of course.

Edited by roundrobin - 09/27/2011 at 7:59pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2011 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

I am a firm believer that the highest level hardbat play can be accomplished by those who are professionally trained with short pips w/sponge the easiest.  Their transition to Orthodox is relatively painless.  As such, I don't believe a traditional hardbat rubber like Leyland is best suited for the highest level hardbat play. 

David Zhuang could have won US Nationals Hardbat title with Orthodox rubber ten years straight if he cared... Just my opinion, of course.

I don't disagree with any of this.  In fact, I think most of the time the person winning the Hardbat Open at the Nationals or the US Open is more highly trained with a sponge racket of some type than with hardbat. Trevor Runyan who dominated for a few years was a sponge player first.  His hardbat training took a distant second.

Also, spinnier rubbers like Orthodox are probably better suited for winning hardbat events precisely because it offers more spin and is more "sponge-like."  Leyland or Dr. Evil would not be the best choices if winning was the priority above all else.  Leyland is the more suitable rubber if you are trying to foster a more classic style of play.  Since you can't get Leyland, I opt for Dr. Evil.  Not so much because I'm dedicated to playing a classic style (though I do work on classic techniques from time to time) but because I'm a fan of the notion of not looking toward the equipment for a spin advantage or edge.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
bonovox76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonovox76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2019 at 2:33am
just found this old topic and I'm here to ask.. is it LEGAL with nowadays rules to add a sponge to an OX rubber as the butterfly orthodox ? I need a 100% sure reply based on a rule.. not an opinion if possible .
Many thanks :)
my feedback
Yinhe T7
Tibhar evo MXP MAX both sides
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic