Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The good forehand rubber.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2011 at 4:43am
ok High_Arc, here it is mine,

EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Sponsored Links

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2011 at 8:19am
"Slower than T05 and yet more powerful" Cool  Hmmm, I'll meditate on this
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2011 at 9:26am
High_Arc, and what can you tell us about 1Q?
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

what color is the sponge of grip-s europe black?

The sponges of both Grip S Europe red and black are red.

are you sure this is not just a rebranded shark II red sponge?
have you tried that rubber? you or ejmouse
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by BaiMile BaiMile wrote:

High_Arc, and what can you tell us about 1Q?

1Q is similar in performance to T64. If you love T64 on the backhand (like me), than you will also love 1Q. There are differences between the two, and I will comment more on that soon.
If you hoped that 1Q would be a T05 replacement: this is certainly not the case. For some it might be an upgrade of T64.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2011 at 7:13pm

The topsheets of Grip-S Europe and Shark II are very different. I think that the sponges are different as well, but I do not know for sure.

Summarizing: I'm entierly sure that Grip-S Europe is not a rebranded Shark II.
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2011 at 7:31pm
I converted to 25 since I played at the table mostly this year.  Will not be using it in future though because of the price.

But I think it's the best rubber for me.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2011 at 10:35pm

The topsheets of Grip-S Europe and Shark II are very different. I think that the sponges are different as well, but I do not know for sure.

so you bought shark II rs and tried it for a while before, right?
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 8:00am

Obviously, the difference in the topsheets is independent of me buying and trying it!

The pips of the Shark II topsheet are longer, the Shark II topsheet feels softer overall.
The topsheet of Grip-S Europe on the other hand has very short pips and feels rather hard.

Instead of asking whether Grip-S Europe and Shark II (red sponge) are the same (which is clearly not the case), the more natural question would be whether Grip-S Europe and Whale II (red sponge) are the same. Considering that Grip-S seemed to be identical to Whale II (black sponge) apart from the branding, I think that this is likely.
If anyone can clarify, I would be pleased.

Anyway, Grip-S Europe for me is the best forehand rubber ever! 

sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 11:41am

Obviously, the difference in the topsheets is independent of me buying and trying it!

The pips of the Shark II topsheet are longer, the Shark II topsheet feels softer overall.
The topsheet of Grip-S Europe on the other hand has very short pips and feels rather hard.

Instead of asking whether Grip-S Europe and Shark II (red sponge) are the same (which is clearly not the case), the more natural question would be whether Grip-S Europe and Whale II (red sponge) are the same. Considering that Grip-S seemed to be identical to Whale II (black sponge) apart from the branding, I think that this is likely.
If anyone can clarify, I would be pleased.

Anyway, Grip-S Europe for me is the best forehand rubber ever! 

I see so many inaccurate reviews that I only tend to consider people who use a rubber for a long time.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 12:03pm

I see so many inaccurate reviews that I only tend to consider people who use a rubber for a long time.

Fair enough.

To finally answer you question: I have not used Shark II for a long time. Actually I just quickly took the racket of a friend who has this rubber on the forehand of a TB ALC. Again: It is already clear from just looking at it that Grip-S Europe and Shark II are not the same, similar to what you can say by just looking at e.g. T25 and T64.

But like I said, it might be the case that Grip-S Europe and Whale II (red sponge, some particular hardness) are the same.

One further comment: I have used the Grip-S Europe on my forehand for approximately three weeks (maybe 10 sessions including tournaments). You may not consider my impressions because three weeks are not particularly long, but after that amount of time using a new rubber my impressions are in general pretty solid.

Summarizing the characteristics of Grip-S Europe:

-Tacky topsheet (tackiness similar to the H3 Neo)
-Topsheet fels hard and has short pips (inverted). Topsheet is similar (if not equivalent) to Whale II.
-Sponge does not feel very hard when you press the rubber with your finger, but when you play with the rubber feels quite a bit harder than T05, maybe like H3 39 deg.
-Lively sponge as soon as you use some power
-Not bouncy in the short game
-Creates loads of spin
-Very powerful (less fast than T05 when you use little power, quite a bit faster when you go all out)
-Very high throw

If I missed to give some information which is of interest, feel free to ask.

sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2011 at 12:19pm

Fair enough.

To finally answer you question: I have not used Shark II for a long time. Actually I just quickly took the racket of a friend who has this rubber on the forehand of a TB ALC. Again: It is already clear from just looking at it that Grip-S Europe and Shark II are not the same, similar to what you can say by just looking at e.g. T25 and T64.

But like I said, it might be the case that Grip-S Europe and Whale II (red sponge, some particular hardness) are the same.

One further comment: I have used the Grip-S Europe on my forehand for approximately three weeks (maybe 10 sessions including tournaments). You may not consider my impressions because three weeks are not particularly long, but after that amount of time using a new rubber my impressions are in general pretty solid.

Summarizing the characteristics of Grip-S Europe:

-Tacky topsheet (tackiness similar to the H3 Neo)
-Topsheet fels hard and has short pips (inverted). Topsheet is similar (if not equivalent) to Whale II.
-Sponge does not feel very hard when you press the rubber with your finger, but when you play with the rubber feels quite a bit harder than T05, maybe like H3 39 deg.
-Lively sponge as soon as you use some power
-Not bouncy in the short game
-Creates loads of spin
-Very powerful (less fast than T05 when you use little power, quite a bit faster when you go all out)
-Very high throw

If I missed to give some information which is of interest, feel free to ask.

shark is like that.
I don't find that a good point however (I mean being slow in some shots and very fast when applying more power).
as for grip-s, it is beyond my budget limit LOL
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 11:47am

I don't find that a good point however (I mean being slow in some shots and very fast when applying more power).

Being slow if not applying any power is common to all Chinese rubbers (and Grip-S Europe is at least 50% Chinese from its characteristics, I would say).

It essentially comes from a combination of tackiness and rather hard sponge. The advantage is obvious: It enhances the short game, allows for more spin, while there is still more than enough power for finishing strokes.

I would say Grip-S Europe feels like a rather heavily glued up H3. For my type of game, it has all the advantages of the H3 Neo but is much easier to use. It has most of the advantages of T05 but only few of its disadvantages. It is a H3 Neo / T05 hybrid.

I am really surprised that there are not many European Pro players using it (as far as I know, Samsonov is the only one).
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 11:54am
Is the Grip-S Europe lighter than the Tenergy rubbers?

How long does the tack last?

Edited by jt99sf - 11/20/2011 at 11:55am
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Is the Grip-S Europe lighter than the Tenergy rubbers?

How long does the tack last?

I would say the weight is about the same, but I don't know for sure. My racket is 2 gr lighter with Grip-S Europe and 1Q than it would usually be with T05 and T64. Unfortunately I don't know which amount is due to the Grip-S Europe and which due to the 1Q.

I will weight the rubber the next time I take it off. I would say that the tackiness is similar to H3 Neo or BWII. It will hold a ball when brand new, but just pick it up after some usage. My rubber is still mildly tacky after +- 3 weeks.
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 12:35pm

Being slow if not applying any power is common to all Chinese rubbers (and Grip-S Europe is at least 50% Chinese from its characteristics, I would say).

It essentially comes from a combination of tackiness and rather hard sponge. The advantage is obvious: It enhances the short game, allows for more spin, while there is still more than enough power for finishing strokes.

I would say Grip-S Europe feels like a rather heavily glued up H3. For my type of game, it has all the advantages of the H3 Neo but is much easier to use. It has most of the advantages of T05 but only few of its disadvantages. It is a H3 Neo / T05 hybrid.

I am really surprised that there are not many European Pro players using it (as far as I know, Samsonov is the only one).

a glued up/boosted h3 is very fast in passive shots.
I used that for long time until a couple of months ago...
saying that any untuned rubber is like a heavily glued up h3 is almost an insult to the perfection that combination created....

Edited by sa01 - 11/20/2011 at 12:41pm
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 12:46pm

This of course depends on your definitions of very fast.

A (non-tacky) European rubber like e.g. T05, Rakza 7 or Akuda S1 is clearly and without any doubt faster and more dynamic than a glued up / boosted (tacky) Chinese rubber if you use little power.
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 12:53pm

A (non-tacky) European rubber like e.g. T05, Rakza 7 or Akuda S1 is clearly and without any doubt faster and more dynamic than a glued up / boosted (tacky) Chinese rubber if you use little power.

wrong again kid.
my boosted h3 was definitely faster than a tenergy in passive shots.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 2:24pm

wrong again kid.

I'm not sure why you think this is worth arguing about, because clearly it depends on the type of tuner and the method used.

For example:
With topsheet and sponge tuning, it's possible to make H3 faster than T05 on passive shots, but then you lose some of the goodness of the Chinese Hard/Tacky short game advantage (push/attack over the table)...

It's also possible with just sponge tuning to make H3 to faster AND spinnier than T05 on active shots, while being slower at passive shots...

The reason people rave about tuned H3 is because you can customize it to fit your game, not because H3 + tuner automatically = great.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 2:25pm

wrong again kid.

Seems like we have different opinions. I would be interested in what others think.

Maybe we do not agree because we talk about different things. I talk about "little power" and "short game" while you talk about "passive shots". In my opinion, "short game" considerably differs from "passive shots".

However, in my understanding it is commonly accepted that a Chinese rubber (be it untuned, tuned or glued) requires much more work (force) than a new generation European rubber. In other words, you need to give more in order to get more. Turning it around: You get less if you give less...

Simple (undeniable) physical considerations tell you that the tack takes away some of the rebound speed. Taking it to extreme values (e.g. very slow impact speed), the ball does not jump off due to the tack. Correspondingly, the rubber is slower if you use little power.

Of course I could be wrong... On the other hand it follows from very basic physical considerations on tacky rubbers. But again, I would really like to know what others think.

By the way, I'm not a kid. Don't know where you got this idea.

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I'm not sure why you think this is worth arguing about, because clearly it depends on the type of tuner and the method used.

For example:
With topsheet and sponge tuning, it's possible to make H3 faster than T05 on passive shots, but then you lose some of the goodness of the Chinese Hard/Tacky short game advantage (push/attack over the table)...

It's also possible with just sponge tuning to make H3 to faster AND spinnier than T05 on active shots, while being slower at passive shots...

The reason people rave about tuned H3 is because you can customize it to fit your game, not because H3 + tuner automatically = great.

Great input, thanks!
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 2:46pm
I´m playing with GripS Europe since 1st September on my Acoustic,  training twice a week 2 hours each day+ Sunday Team´s Match and all I can say is High_Arc is 100% right.

I would like to know some other imputs about shark II as a BH rubber,  i´m using Tinarc on my Bh and it´s fine, but a bit expensive...

Edited by jonyer1980 - 11/20/2011 at 2:51pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 3:05pm
By the way, i peeled of the glue layer of the sponge of the  red GRIPS Europe SOFT,  and then tuned it with belgium booste3r......... and it burned its tacky topsheet and turned into mate and spinless!!! Ouch 

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

wrong again kid.

For example:

I don't argue, I just state truths based on my experience.
based on my experience tuned h3 is faster than tenergy.
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 3:19pm

wrong again kid.

Seems like we have different opinions. I would be interested in what others think.

Maybe we do not agree because we talk about different things. I talk about "little power" and "short game" while you talk about "passive shots". In my opinion, "short game" considerably differs from "passive shots".

However, in my understanding it is commonly accepted that a Chinese rubber (be it untuned, tuned or glued) requires much more work (force) than a new generation European rubber. In other words, you need to give more in order to get more. Turning it around: You get less if you give less...

Simple (undeniable) physical considerations tell you that the tack takes away some of the rebound speed. Taking it to extreme values (e.g. very slow impact speed), the ball does not jump off due to the tack. Correspondingly, the rubber is slower if you use little power.

Of course I could be wrong... On the other hand it follows from very basic physical considerations on tacky rubbers. But again, I would really like to know what others think.

By the way, I'm not a kid. Don't know where you got this idea.

all your analysis is very deep, interesting, complex, insightful....
my analysis is simple: when I tuned h3 neo (I used 1 layer of oil and speed glue to attach) the rubber was faster than tenergy in every shot for 3 weeks.
"little power" "big power" "short game" "long game" "passive shot" "yellow submarine" whatever....
simple as that.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 3:27pm

my analysis is simple: when I tuned h3 neo (I used 1 layer of oil and speed glue to attach) the rubber was faster than tenergy in every shot for 3 weeks.
"little power" "big power" "short game" "long game" "passive shot" "yellow submarine" whatever....
simple as that.

fair enough.
and thanks for honoring my analysis Wink!
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 3:46pm

simple as that.

fair enough.
and thanks for honoring my analysis Wink!

I was being sarcastic kid....
I have a problem dealing with people who try to make table tennis look like something complex when it is the simplest sport in the world.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 4:18pm

I have a problem dealing with people who try to make table tennis look like something complex when it is the simplest sport in the world.

I'm wondering which part of "I'm not a kid." you failed to understand.

Let's just leave it as it is. We do not need to agree.
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 4:24pm
Handshake

I'm wondering which part of "I'm not a kid." you failed to understand.

Let's just leave it as it is. We do not need to agree.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2011 at 4:45pm

Handshake

In the end we do agree on something!

Handshake

Btw, your initial question about the Shark II made me order BW II red sponge from ttnpp because I want to see whether Grip-S Europe and BW II red sponge are the same. I ordered black max medium and hard (37-38 and 39-40 degree). If it is the case (and I think changes are high), then one can get the same rubber for less than half the price.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic