FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

KTL Red Diamond?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KTL Red Diamond?
    Posted: 05/20/2012 at 3:57am
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

Any update on KTL BP? Tongue

Training session is tomorrow night, so will be back with news after that.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2012 at 1:39am
Any update on KTL BP? Tongue
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 11:26am

Did you get the same exact rubber or is there variation? Wink
Same seller?
Please post your findings on BP. I haven't used mine, too lazy Confused

Ha ha!  Well, I used the same seller, and got exactly the same rubber, so that worked out quite well.  Maybe one day they will stop making this version and I will only be able to get the non-tacky one....

Will be using the new BP next week at training, so will be back with news.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 10:30am
Did you get the same exact rubber or is there variation? Wink
Same seller?
Please post your findings on BP. I haven't used mine, too lazy Confused
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 10:13am
Small update.

Really happy with this new version of RD on my forehand, so I ordered some more sheets for backup.  Uncut, RD weighs in at 55g.  Cut to the Calix, it's 39g.  Very light.

I also ordered ANOTHER sheet of Black Power, but this time made sure I got the new KTL one with "Golden Cake Sponge + Strong Friction Rubber" printed on the front of the package.  This one doesn't seem as radical a departure from the old LKT BP as the KTL RD is to the old LKT RD (if you see what I mean).  But it is totally non-tacky. Black sponge, uncut weight is 61g, cut to Calix it's 45g.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 6:18pm
Ok then, had a long training session with the KTL Red Diamond tonight.  It's still tacky, and can still lift a ball for a few seconds.  I've just cleaned it, and it's still going strong.

I didn't like it on the OSP Expert, but on the Calix it worked really well.  It's a combo of soft sponge, slight tack, slight bounce.  Very forgiving when using.  Like an easy-to-use H3, or a lower-powered BW2.  It was the easiest rubber I've ever used to counterloop with, and it even smashed well.  If I had to point out a weakness, it's just a bit too slow for an all-out attack game, and I had to adjust my blocking a bit.  That could equally be Calix's slow low gear though.

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Well I should guess that you have the latest version of the tacky Red Diamond, maybe that's also a great rubber
You were right all along.  Now, the only problem is can I order some more and get the same rubber?  Or will it be totally different next time?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 5:59am
Well, I used it for an hour last night on the Expert.  The sponge is really soft, the topsheet really soft, thin and tacky.  So it all made for a very slow experience.  I had the old LKT Black Power on the other side, which was far faster.

In that configuration, I could only use it as a forehand rubber.  It requires a cybernetic wrist to get enough force to use it on the backhand side.

Next step - forehand on the Calix.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:57pm
Can I recommend someone else?
http://stores.ebay.com/CHINA-TRAIT?_rdc=1

Have been a loyal customer for 3 years... Just email him to get what you want, even though his ebay stores has small collection of table tennis stuff. He does have them or can get them at excellent price. Clap
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

You didn't order from TTNPP?

No, from tnha on ebay.

Same source ;)

LOL.

Well, I can't blame the shop. I didn't specify which of the 2065 variations I wanted.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:49pm
I know, I know. News flash - Chinese manufacturer in confusing products shocker. You heard it here first.

I should know better by now. Will give Ttnpp a go next time.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

No, from tnha on ebay.

Same source ;)
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:43pm
Andy, clean it a couple of times with rubber cleaner, see if it's still tacky...
Both batches I got for RD, they are very grippy, both excellent, no variation whatsoever.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:34pm
haha, did you ever use a sheet of Red Diamond that wasn't a good rubber?. Fair enough the new non tacky one is something else but that's ok. It's cheap and I know in your soul you wont be happy until you try that one.. So get on TTNPP and order it. In my experience when things like this happen in life and they often do.

You really need to just suck up the mistake and continue on with your plan
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:27pm

Well I should guess that you have the latest version of the tacky Red Diamond, maybe that's also a great rubber

You are such an optimist!  Keep talking, you're cheering me up no end!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:26pm

Andy, maybe my perception is different from others..
My tacky is sticky, ball bounces 2 - 3 and sticks
Grippy is like Shark 2 RS, Tenergy, KTL RD. Tongue

Yeah, I get you.  With this RD, ball bounces 3 times and stops.  If I press down on a ball with it, it lifts the ball for 1-2 seconds.

Straight out of the packet, Shark2 can't lift a ball at all.  That's a grippy rubber.  No tack at all.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:23pm
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:20pm
Andy, maybe my perception is different from others..
My tacky is sticky, ball bounces 2 - 3 and sticks
Grippy is like Shark 2 RS, Tenergy, KTL RD. Tongue

Edited by dual700 - 04/24/2012 at 12:21pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:20pm

No, from tnha on ebay.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:19pm

The new one has the thickness and hardness thing on the packet and can be Strong friction or non-adhesive afaik (purple logo). The one I've used wasn't tacky in anyway, it's just like Tenergy's grip, doesn't look like Tenergy or Shark II's rough surface but it grabs the ball even in heavy humidity perfectly so it does have some traction

Well, my RD package doesn't have the text on the front, and doesn't have the thickness/hardness thing.  But it's really tacky.

Thanks KTL.  I assume your name change was the latest step in your mission to confuse your customers to the point of madness.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:18pm
Yep, both mines have the hardness printed on the cover. Like this
http://ttnpp.com/shop/ktl-black-power-p-543.html

Both are very grippy, non tacky.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:18pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:16pm

Andy, you got 1 new KTL Red Diamond and 1 old LKT BP Cry
Both KTL RD and BP are light and soft.
I still haven't cut my BP, but the RD Thumbs Up
I've used it for few weeks..

Keep us updated with your findings vs Shark 2 RS.  I want to compare with my comparo Wink

That's the best explanation so far.  So what was the old BP doing in a KTL package?  Well, here is the NEW KTL packaging for BP, with purple colour scheme:

My BP packaging doesn't look like that.  It looks almost like the old one:

BUT!  It does have KTL on the packaging, and not LKT.  So I think that KTL are still selling the old version of BP, in a slightly modified package (with KTL logo on the front, not the old LKT).  But it's old stock, so the rubber still has LKT on.

Dual, was your RD tacky when fresh from the package?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:11pm
The new one has the thickness and hardness thing on the packet and can be Strong friction or non-adhesive afaik (purple logo). The one I've used wasn't tacky in anyway, it's just like Tenergy's grip, doesn't look like Tenergy or Shark II's rough surface but it grabs the ball even in heavy humidity perfectly so it does have some traction

Edited by bluebucket - 04/24/2012 at 12:14pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:11pm

Sounds like the Red Diamond is the new one, they both might be.. No one said the Black Power has changed much. 

The new Red Diamond is non tacky but I could imagine it would become tacky if you put a sticky protector sheet on it, have you used the sheet? If it's got the KTL topsheet is light and the porous sponge that's hard to cut it's the new one 100%, 1000% certain

Honestly, I haven't got a clue.
I'm talking about fresh sheets.  I just took the protective film off (not the sheet which comes with it) after I'd glued the cut rubber onto a blade.  And they're both tacky.  This RD can lift a ball for quite a while.

The topsheet and sponge are exactly as you describe.  But I can't describe it as non-tacky.  Maybe it will wear off quickly?

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:07pm
No, I understand what has happened here.  I have basically ordered the old versions.  Maybe.

Both packages are KTL.  The Black Power rubber is LKT rubber, hard(ish) black sponge.  The Red Diamond rubber is KTL rubber, soft pink sponge.  They are both tacky.

Looking at the packaging reveals some info.  For example, my Red Diamond package looks like this:

However, the one I (probably) wanted (perhaps) looks like this (maybe):

Both KTL, but the 2nd one has the "non-adhesive" text on the front.  Also, the second one has a purple KTL logo, instead of the black one I have.  So, are KTL doing tacky and non-tacky versions of each rubber now?

Just to add a bit more confusion, here is another type of packaging:

"Strong friction" is written on the cover.  So, for Red Diamond, there are (at least):

LKT version, original sponge.
LKT version, Gold Cake sponge.
KTL version, no text on front, black KTL logo, tacky topsheet, soft sponge (I have this one).
KTL version, "non-adhesive" written on the package, purple KTL logo.
KTL version, "Strong friction" written on the package purple KTL logo.

But the last two I've listed there have the same chinese characters, so maybe they are just different translations of the same thing?  Or - maybe the text isn't actually written on the packaging.  Maybe it's just in the promotional images sent out by KTL, and all the packaging is blank?

Arrrrrrrgh!

dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 11:55am
Andy, you got 1 new KTL Red Diamond and 1 old LKT BP Cry
Both KTL RD and BP are light and soft.
I still haven't cut my BP, but the RD Thumbs Up
I've used it for few weeks..

Keep us updated with your findings vs Shark 2 RS.  I want to compare with my comparo Wink

Edited by dual700 - 04/24/2012 at 11:56am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 10:59am
Sounds like the Red Diamond is the new one, they both might be.. No one said the Black Power has changed much. 

The new Red Diamond is non tacky but I could imagine it would become tacky if you put a sticky protector sheet on it, have you used the sheet? If it's got the KTL topsheet is light and the porous sponge that's hard to cut it's the new one 100%, 1000% certain

Edited by bluebucket - 04/24/2012 at 11:00am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 10:04am
So that means that I've got the wrong ones.  These must be the old versions, with tacky topsheets.

Well.  Nuts.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 9:14am
They both came with KTL protection sheets as well.  Just to rub it in.

And I've just taken the blade out of the press.  I was wrong - Red Diamond is tacky.  Enough to lift a ball for a second.  Hmmmmm.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 7:54am
So I ordered KTL Red Diamond and Black Power, and they arrived this morning.

First off, the Black Power.  It was in the new KTL packaging.  However, the rubber inside had the old LKT stamp.  Looked like one of the earlier versions to me.  Black sponge, quite hard, quite heavy, slightly tacky.  So that's disappointing.  Is this an old version in a new package?  Is there even a new version available, or are LKT buring through their old stock?  As usual, confusion reigns.

However, the Red Diamond was the new one.  Rubber has the new KTL logo.  Completely different to the previous RD versions.  Much, much lighter.  Light pink sponge, very soft.  So soft it's difficult to cut.  Strange texture to it, almost feels like cloth.  The only other sponge I've seen with a textile-like texture was TinArc 3, but this is much lighter than that.  The topsheet is thin, translucent, non-tacky.  Reminds me a lot of the Shark 2 Red Sponge topsheet, but the pips are smaller.

I forgot to weigh the uncut sheets, and they're both in the press now.  I did weigh the cutoffs, and the RD was 16g, while the BP was 21g.  So, scaling up, RD is 76% of the mass of BP.  A LOT lighter, and a lot lighter than the original 1st gen RD.  Sorry I didn't get accurate figures.  :-(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic