Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Violin as an upgrade or top of the tops?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Violin as an upgrade or top of the tops?
    Posted: 12/06/2011 at 10:38am
Hi there ,

so much can be heard about violin and acustic and are considered by many players as the Holy Grail of 5 ply wood blades .

I am quite curious about the real playing abilities or characteristics of violin .

(Currently using Stiga Allround Wood NCT and I am really satisfied with it .)

Would it be a significant upgrade if I invested a big sum into a violin (I suppose it has a bit more control compared with Acustic) ?

Please share Your ideas .
Thx in advance.
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour
Sponsored Links

Kashuken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashuken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 10:58am
It would depend on your playing style. IMO Acoustic is a much better looper's blade than Violin.
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 2:10pm
I play mainly in offensive style when it is possible .
I suppose the best form of defence is the constant aggressive form of play .
You know what I mean topspin nearly all the time :-)
Anyway I was wondering if an acustic or violin made it easier for me the opening loop or it would be a waste of money (compared with Stiga Allround NCT).
Anyone who tried all of these blades?
Would You share Your opinion about that?
igszoctan
Strength and honour
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 2:22pm
Yes Violin is one of the best 5-ply blades. It has excellent feel. Less vibration than Stiga Allaround NCT, and slightly faster though it depends on the sample. The feel is more crisp.

Acoustic is slighly faster than the Violin and Allaround NCT, but feels basically the same as the Stiga Allaround NCT. It has zero vibrations though. Otherwise not that special for the money.

Edited by LGL_fan - 12/06/2011 at 2:24pm
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 2:25pm
Thanks LGL_fan for Your answer . And at the same time You have found opening loops or loops in general easier with it ?
igszoctan
Strength and honour
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by igszoctan igszoctan wrote:

Thanks LGL_fan for Your answer . And at the same time You have found opening loops or loops in general easier with it ?

The Stiga NCT is already very good at opening loops. I use a T05 which is very good at this.
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 2:36pm
So You think it is a better idea to change the rubbers not the blade . I understand. Thanks .
I'll think about it .
To tell You the truth I have not tried T05 yet but I guess I will have to do so.(or T05FX because I prefer control (?)
igszoctan
Strength and honour
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by igszoctan igszoctan wrote:

So You think it is a better idea to change the rubbers not the blade . I understand. Thanks .
I'll think about it .
To tell You the truth I have not tried T05 yet but I guess I will have to do so.(or T05FX because I prefer control (?)

T05 gives better control than T05FX if your forehand is decent. You want high throw and lots of spin for opening loops over the table. I use a brushing motion. Remember to use waist rotation and fast arm speed.

Edited by LGL_fan - 12/06/2011 at 2:42pm
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 2:54pm
Thanks LGL_fan .
As soon as I Xmas is over , I am in red at the moment :( , I will buy my first T05 .

By the way I must confess my current setup excels at everything I need but one should welcome even better solutions if they exist after all .

igszoctan
Strength and honour
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 2:57pm
Sounds good. I recommend you keep your blade and buy a sheet of T05 instead. They are amazing rubbers for making topspin. For me, it makes everything so easy.
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 3:30pm
Cool . In this way I can also spare some money Thumbs Up

I can hardly imagine a better rubber for an allround offensive-minded player on forehand than Xiom Omega IV Elite but I'll keep my promise and have a go .

I'll inform You about it in January or February :)
igszoctan
Strength and honour
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 5:23pm
Actually, in the long term buying Tenergy will be more expensive than buying a Violin or Acoustic, because you'll need to change it often, while a blade lasts a lifetime.
I played with both Violin and Acoustic, and they are great blades with exceptionally smooth feel. I especially liked the feel of Violin, although Acoustic is better for aggressive looping.
Not sure you could expect a boost in your performance due to changing to Violin or Acoustic, though. So if that's you're looking for in return of the extra money, if I were you I'd rather keep the Stiga blade.
Look at them as expensive Swiss timepieces: a cheaper Swiss watch such as a Swatch will tell you the time with (almost) the same precision, and sometimes even better.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 7:05pm
Violin has a hard feel, whilst Acoustic has soft feel. Further according to my experience, contrary to the data given by Nittaku, I am of the opinion that Violin is a little bit faster than Acoustic. I have both, but I like Violin more than Acoustic.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 11:06pm
Thanks both of you arg0 and aeoliah .

All in all we are slowly getting quite cose to the real solution : Insinst on your current setup and keep practising . In other words "99% practice and 1% equipment" as I have read it somewhere in a thread .

igszoctan
Strength and honour
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic