Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"National" or "Pro" rubber versions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "National" or "Pro" rubber versions
    Posted: 12/08/2011 at 6:12am
Hi,

I am not going to impeach the fact of "special" rubber versions like Hurricane series or Tenergies. We all know the differences among DHS National/Provincial/Commercial version. BUT, I just watched the match between Maze and Dima and something caught my eye. Maze is supposed tobe using Bryce Speed both sides. He's obvisouly pro, is it Pro version of Bryce Speed then? There is quite a bunch of players who do not use tenergy or h3neo. Are all of those rubbers pro's version or just regular off the shelve ones?

Which leads me to a question, is there really a "PRO" version? Apparently, in case of DHS it seems be just a quality control thing. The best quality ones - National. A lot of people think those versions are specifically made for those players. But obvisouly, you can't make pro version for all rubber brands and series.

I remember a couple of posts which quoted William Henzell who mentioned his experience with Tenergies of some chinese players. Well, it might as well was just heavy boosted ones.

So again, is it actually a special version that's produced or just "hand picked" ordinary mortal rubbers? Is it actually possible that some of them really do use equipment that we, too, can our hands on?

Edited by vutiendat1337 - 12/08/2011 at 6:13am
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 7:14am
The common thoughts are that the top level pros use a denser sponge on their Tenergy, this makes sense because the one you buy in the shops is really a quite soft sponge and probably too soft for really strong players, everyone that uses Tenergy/Bryce speed at semi pro level and above is tuning it. imho the players using Haifu made rubbers, Grip-S, BWII/II, Shark II/III, the Haifu pips and the TSP rubbers are all high enough quality and available in the right sponges to be used straight off the shelf using the standard rubbers + tuner. You don't need to have used or even seen many DHS rubbers to know the pros are using very high grade sheets from DHS, so along with a few special sheets of TG3 and H3 that takes care of 90% of rubber used in the top 100.

So basically if you get Tenergy it should be just like the top pros use except softer, which is good for normal players. The TSP and Haifu rubbers I bet are exactly what the pros use, DHS's pro rubbers I highly doubt even come from the same factory as the production rubbers

Edited by bluebucket - 12/08/2011 at 7:18am
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 9:30am
i agree. if you listen to ma long's and zhang jike's fh loops in youtube, you could hear the "speed glue" sound from their h3 rubbers. my h3 neo before doesnt make such sounds
tremil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 9:31am
I know for a fact that there is a difference in the STIGA boost rubber series. I have talked to many sponsord players that claim that there ones are a "pro"version
Blade: STIGA Rosewood VII
BH:Dinic Baracuda
FH: Hurricane 3, boosted offcours 3:)
alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 10:54am
I actually know for a fact that chinese national team gets national version of tenergy. I could actually easily get a sheet of it, but its really expensive. From what Im told, its way different from commericial tenergy. Its suppose to be a way spinnier and way faster.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by alink91 alink91 wrote:

From what Im told, its way different from commericial tenergy. Its suppose to be a way spinnier and way faster.

Of course it is, anything less wouldn't be fun to believe... Ermm

btw what are the latest Friendship rubbers rated for speed and spin, like 27/10 and 24/10? Confused
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by mrdoodzki mrdoodzki wrote:

i agree. if you listen to ma long's and zhang jike's fh loops in youtube, you could hear the "speed glue" sound from their h3 rubbers. my h3 neo before doesnt make such sounds

are you able to hit the ball like Ma Long and Zhang Jike? just wondering
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 12:27pm
The early 2008 batches of Tenergy had sponges that were dense and heavy (0.26 g/cc). Curiously, felt only slightly harder, and played pretty similar, though faster, than today's batches. I'm guessing pros would pick this denser sponge. They could also just use the even harder SpinArt sponge.

I doubt what the pros have would be more spinny than what we have. Just more top gears.
alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 1:13pm
Ive never actually tried national tenergy before, this is just what Im told. The old national sheets were like 500 hkd per sheet, but now its like 600-700 and this is national team members selling to a family member. I was gonna get a sheet from a national team member, but its expensive and I dont play tenergy so I decided not to.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 2:05pm
If you could get rubber that was designed for provincial our national level strokes, would you have the technique to control it?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 4:17pm
I tried National Tenergy and the level of play required to use it is the same.  The only difference is that it has a higher potential since the sponge IS denser.

First hand experience - something no one else has that is answer this thread.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

I tried National Tenergy and the level of play required to use it is the same.  The only difference is that it has a higher potential since the sponge IS denser.

oh come on, it's much better to say, "I know for a fact!", and then quote some hearsay, lol

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 4:39pm

I tried National Tenergy...

btw, what designated/distinguished it as a National version? (stamp, marking, etc)
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 5:04pm
Just wandering, if they have a better Tenergy, why not sell that at higher price, say 100 USD. I am sure people will buy it. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Just wandering, if they have a better Tenergy, why not sell that at higher price, say 100 USD. I am sure people will buy it. 

http://www.prott.cc/shop/Detailed.aspx?d=Protenergy

mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

are you able to hit the ball like Ma Long and Zhang Jike? just wondering

of course not but my point is that they're h3 neo really seems to be different. you can tell by the sound from youtube. it has the speed glue sound. tuning? factory tune,etc whatever? my h3 neo was said to be a national version but i doesnt make such sounds. i've swtich from it to a donic desto f1 a few weeks ago, and this rubber definitely makes speed glue sounds with my strokes.

anyone noticed the sound of ma long's and zhang jike's h3 rubbers too?
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 5:46pm
My H3 makes the same sounds after tuning. It feels more lively than a tensor, and even faster.
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by LGL_fan LGL_fan wrote:

My H3 makes the same sounds after tuning. It feels more lively than a tensor, and even faster.

any homemade tuning equipment? where to apply? how long is the effect?
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 6:27pm

I use Goo Gone. Last 2-3 weeks. Passes the device test even though I think it does have VOCs. I use water glue so that I can just rip off rubber after 2-3 weeks, apply a layer of tuner, put it back onto blade, and the rubber is back in service.
glanden.zheng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 6:49pm

I use Goo Gone. Last 2-3 weeks. Passes the device test even though I think it does have VOCs. I use water glue so that I can just rip off rubber after 2-3 weeks, apply a layer of tuner, put it back onto blade, and the rubber is back in service.
What would be an equivalent of Goo Gone? I don't think I've found any in Australia...
Butterfly Viscaria FL

FH: Hurricane 3 Prov

BH: Tenergy 05
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by glanden.zheng glanden.zheng wrote:

What would be an equivalent of Goo Gone? I don't think I've found any in Australia...

I don't know, it is a citrus-based cleaning product based on orange oil.
alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

If you could get rubber that was designed for provincial our national level strokes, would you have the technique to control it?

At least for h3 I think most people have the ability to control both national and provincial. Most certainly provincial.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 10:27pm

I'm confused. Traditionally, harder, denser sponge requires better technique to produce topspin. It requires more precision to both drive and topspin shots. A good example is how 41 degree H2 (even speedglued) requires better strokes than the same rubber in 38 degree for consistent performance...

I'm skeptical that rubber that is designed for professional needs and abilities would better suit intermediate or weaker players.

If the difference between National and Commerical were simply in the factory tune job (something that produces a softer, more elastic sponge) then I can completely understand why even developing players might be able to get more out of it.

Originally posted by alink91 alink91 wrote:

At least for h3 I think most people have the ability to control both national and provincial. Most certainly provincial.

I might concede that even ex-basement players like me might prefer the factory tune of good Provincial Neos (specifically Provincial Neo H3 compared to Commercial Neo H3) but unlike Provincial players we don't get a new sheet when the factory tune wears off.

I don't mean to steer this back toward a Factory Tune is OK, but Player Tune is Illegal argument, but if I could afford a new sheet of H3 Provincial Neo every 2-3 weeks, I would probably still be using it.

Can you tell that I got a chance to compare a new H3 Neo Provincial with a 6 month old sheet recently? :)
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2011 at 1:36am

I'm confused. Traditionally, harder, denser sponge requires better technique to produce topspin. It requires more precision to both drive and topspin shots. A good example is how 41 degree H2 (even speedglued) requires better strokes than the same rubber in 38 degree for consistent performance...

I'm skeptical that rubber that is designed for professional needs and abilities would better suit intermediate or weaker players.

If the difference between National and Commerical were simply in the factory tune job (something that produces a softer, more elastic sponge) then I can completely understand why even developing players might be able to get more out of it.

It's not a lot harder, but the sponge does feel different.  I was able to switch back and forth between the National and regular Tenergy without an issue.  Speed was the same on both rubbers.  It just that National has harder potential why the regular gives out.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2011 at 2:08am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

I tried National Tenergy...

btw, what designated/distinguished it as a National version? (stamp, marking, etc)

It is made for Chinese nationals and costs orrespondingly.

Say, six of ten USD.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2011 at 2:21am
I was wondering if there's actually a designation on the packaging or topsheet or sponge, rather than just verbal claims and price increase
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2011 at 2:50am
It was a joke. Meaning that all "National" claims are associated with fakes. Officially, there is no National version of Tenergy.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2011 at 2:52am
ha, I took you seriously.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2011 at 1:36pm
You guys are posting faster than I can get them moved!

For the Tuning Branch of this thread (to prevent derail) - post comments here:

Latest discussion of Tuning Legality
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic