Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 33>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Originally posted by mg mg wrote:

Peter, may I ask you what do you use for sealing the handles? Thanks

It's is sealed by Ross, usually I use MinWax Polyurethane to seal my blade handle.

Peter and I are on the same wavelength here.   I use the oil-based Minwax Wipe-On Poly.  The oil-based product really brings out the character of the wood.

I am using the same. It is really nice. However I noticed that after a few regluings (maybe ten?) the thin layer of sealer starts peeling off in places. I guess that is how it is supposed to be, nothing lasts forever. The question is, how do I clean it off, because it looks really ugly with sealer sloughing off in some places and still staying on in others...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 11:18am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by mg mg wrote:

Peter, may I ask you what do you use for sealing the handles? Thanks

It's is sealed by Ross, usually I use MinWax Polyurethane to seal my blade handle.

Peter and I are on the same wavelength here.   I use the oil-based Minwax Wipe-On Poly.  The oil-based product really brings out the character of the wood.

I am using the same. It is really nice. However I noticed that after a few regluings (maybe ten?) the thin layer of sealer starts peeling off in places. I guess that is how it is supposed to be, nothing lasts forever. The question is, how do I clean it off, because it looks really ugly with sealer sloughing off in some places and still staying on in others...

I use paint remover to remove the sealer, But the ink print will disappear too...
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 11:21am

I use paint remover to remove the sealer, But the ink print will disappear too...

eesh... I see. Perhaps there is a gentler way? maybe taking more time but not as drastic.

Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 11:28am

If you are applying multiple coats of poly, if you let the previous coat cure too long before applying the next, then it doesn't adhere as well and can result in the peeling layers as you describe.  To prepare the surface on an already poly-coated blade, use some fine sandpaper (say 400 grit) or a green scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface to give it some "tooth" so that the new coat of poly will have something to grip.  Also, apply it in a thin coat.  You should wipe off as much as you can after applying it.  You don't want any really wet spots showing on the surface.
strikewzen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strikewzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 1:05pm
wow a true artist ... and a master of taste (not ass kissing but admiring sincerely)

although i do not have money for them right now if i may ask a curious question

for J pen users  that only play with one surface, is it still necessary to have the reverse side of the blade laminated just like the playing surface? all Jpen multiplies have the exact same laminates on both surfaces. why is this the case? wouldn't it be more efficient to have a thicker core to support the playing surface instead?

thank you very much for sharing with us, i think they are not expensive, and are true masterpieces
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 3:42pm

If you are applying multiple coats of poly, if you let the previous coat cure too long before applying the next, then it doesn't adhere as well and can result in the peeling layers as you describe.  To prepare the surface on an already poly-coated blade, use some fine sandpaper (say 400 grit) or a green scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface to give it some "tooth" so that the new coat of poly will have something to grip.  Also, apply it in a thin coat.  You should wipe off as much as you can after applying it.  You don't want any really wet spots showing on the surface.

No multiple layers - just one layer, relatively thin. After that changed rubbers on that blade about 10 times over 1 year time... when I pulled off the last rubbers, the sealer started to peel off as well, leaving traces of dried-up poly on the sponge. Blade surface looks kinda ugly after that.

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 7:34pm
Interesting, you have anymore pictures fatt?? Would love to see the rest of it!!!!!!!!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 7:40pm

With "letting the cure too long" do you mean hours, days or months ? I usually apply the second coat after one or two days, and until now I have no peeling, but reading your post I become a bit worried.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 9:10pm
Here is the real finished products picture, ready for shipping tomorrow morning Big smile

Edited by peter79 - 12/30/2011 at 8:22pm
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by strikewzen strikewzen wrote:

wow a true artist ... and a master of taste (not ass kissing but admiring sincerely)

although i do not have money for them right now if i may ask a curious question

for J pen users  that only play with one surface, is it still necessary to have the reverse side of the blade laminated just like the playing surface? all Jpen multiplies have the exact same laminates on both surfaces. why is this the case? wouldn't it be more efficient to have a thicker core to support the playing surface instead?

thank you very much for sharing with us, i think they are not expensive, and are true masterpieces
Hey, thanks strikewzen.  I appreciate the kind words about the blades.  To answer your question, it's not entirely necessary to maintain symmetric plies, but it does help to reduce an issues due to dissimilar expansion/contraction issues between different woods.  On a thick Jpen with it's smaller shape, that not as much of an issue.  So actually, a thick Jpen is the safest place to use asymmetric compositions. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 9:16pm

Here is the real finished products picture, ready for shipping tomorrow morning Big smile

Peter, I think you must have a neural connection to your photo hosting site.  :)  I no sooner email the final photos and they appear on mytt.  :)  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

My new TT baby (in the mail):

RL 7-ply
white limba-red dyed koto-black limba-kiri-black limba-red dyed koto-white limba

Best of luck with the new blade!  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

With "letting the cure too long" do you mean hours, days or months ? I usually apply the second coat after one or two days, and until now I have no peeling, but reading your post I become a bit worried.

I didn't mean to stress you out.  Actually, the oil-based poly is much more forgiving than the water-based (IMO).  The oil-based soaks into the wood, and the water-based poly tends to sit on the surface and is more prone to peeling if the previous coat is fully cured.   I try to keep the coats hours apart, but a day is not likely to cause any problems.  If the poly is still off-gassing (sniff it - do you still smell that poly smell), then it's still curing.  If you've not seen any problems, don't worry about it. 
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 9:30pm

Peter, I think you must have a neural connection to your photo hosting site.  :)  I no sooner email the final photos and they appear on mytt.  :)  

I just saw there's a new email on my smart phone, and post it as soon as I can, to save your time posting it yourself Wink

Ross, is Tung wood available in your inventory?
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 9:45pm

I just saw there's a new email on my smart phone, and post it as soon as I can, to save your time posting it yourself Wink

Ross, is Tung wood available in your inventory?

I must say, you have an efficient workflow.  :)

I started researching tung wood when I first was asked to build a rendition of an Acoustic (which is the posted core for that blade) .  What I eventually found was that tung wood is an obscure name for kiri or paulownia.  (Here's one source.)  So, yes, I do have it in core thicknesses, but not as a veneer.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 10:02pm

I started researching tung wood when I first was asked to build a rendition of an Acoustic (which is the posted core for that blade) .  What I eventually found was that tung wood is an obscure name for kiri or paulownia.  (Here's one source.)  So, yes, I do have it in core thicknesses, but not as a veneer.

Could you please share with us the Custom Acoustic you've made? just want to know how it looks like, will make one later too Smile
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 11:25pm

Could you please share with us the Custom Acoustic you've made? just want to know how it looks like, will make one later too Smile

This one is the closest to the composition of the Acoustic with limba (x2) - kiri - limba (x2).  The handle is chakte viga and olivewood.

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 11:46pm
Wooow!!! looks great!!! Thanks for uploading Ross :)
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 12:19am

This one is the closest to the composition of the Acoustic with limba (x2) - kiri - limba (x2).  The handle is chakte viga and olive wood.

Out of those I've seen here, I love this ONE the most. Dunno why.
Does this belong to "Jpenmaster"?
I may want one but w/Anatomic handle in due course....Wink
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 2:08am
Well the Custom Acoustic looks like Heaven Sword, while the custom hurricane king is more like a dragon sabre LOL

http://www.google.co.id/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tIgnLkJ3VN4/S9W2esnYHBI/AAAAAAAAAw0/UWkcc9SWA2w/s1600/Heaven%2BSword%2BAnd%2BThe%2BDragon%2BSabre.jpg&imgrefurl=http://downloadbioskop21.blogspot.com/2010/04/heaven-sword-and-dragon-sabre-1986.html&h=478&w=350&sz=200&tbnid=IOkFA_pe3aIDFM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=66&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dheaven%2Bsword%2Band%2Bdragon%2Bsabre%2B1986%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=heaven+sword+and+dragon+sabre+1986&docid=X6vOYyJ58H9CzM&hl=id&sa=X&ei=6mL9TtXBJ8XirAfkt_j8Dw&ved=0CF4Q9QEwCA&dur=421
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 7:07am
 @fatt This 7-ply is - " Acoustic-Power" :
 J.Mizutani > 7-ply > Acoustic.
frenchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 8:02am
Nice blades but also beautiful pics Ross !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 8:28am
Originally posted by tiehwen tiehwen wrote:

Out of those I've seen here, I love this ONE the most. Dunno why.
Does this belong to "Jpenmaster"?
I may want one but w/Anatomic handle in due course....Wink
I don't know the forum username of the person who commissioned this blade.  Maybe he'll see it here and comment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 8:31am
Originally posted by frenchy frenchy wrote:

Nice blades but also beautiful pics Ross !
Thanks!  I try to show the blades in their best light.  Smile

Edited by Ross Leidy - 12/30/2011 at 8:31am
frenchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 8:32am
Did you still send blades to my country ? How long does it take ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 8:47am
Originally posted by frenchy frenchy wrote:

Did you still send blades to my country ? How long does it take ?
France:  Sure - jcdi has one of my blades.
Build time: usually around 7-10 days from cutting the wood until shipping the completed blade.
Transit Time: USPS Priority quotes 6-10 business days for international shipping.
Time before I could start:  I currently have a couple months worth of blade projects in the waiting list.  This is not my full-time job, so I can't work on blades as much as I'd like to.  Smile
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 9:07am
ross, what wood veneer do you have that is more or less identical to the japanese kiso hinoki in terms of hardness, feel and wood grains?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 9:36am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

ross, what wood veneer do you have that is more or less identical to the japanese kiso hinoki in terms of hardness, feel and wood grains?
The closest veneer I have at present is alaskan yellow cedar, which is not a true cedar at all.  It really belongs to the cypress family, as does hinoki.  It's a pale yellow color with very fine, straight grain.  It's a bit softer than hinoki. 

Here's an example of a blade with ayc outers.  You can see that it has very little distinct grain pattern.

jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 10:22am
Tiehwen you know me so well.  Yeah AYC is very close to hinoki in fact i think they export it to Japan as the same stuff.  The only major difference to me is the smell it doesn't smell as nice as hinoki but what does that matter LOL
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 10:26am
can we please stop posting pics of Ross's blades!  I always thought my Donic burn blade looked pretty nice, but now after seeing his blades mine looks like junk.  His blades look too nice to play with.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 33>
  Share Topic