tabletennis11.com

The importance of rubber care...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The importance of rubber care...
    Posted: 12/25/2011 at 11:43am
I've read quite a few posts complaining of oxidation of DHS sheets.

Here's how one method of care preserves the topsheet:

click to zoom

DHS Provincial Neo Hurricane 3 38 Degree 2.15mm.
150 hours of use.
Hand wipe during play.
Donic Bioclean after play.
Kinetix Rubber Rejuvenator every 50 hours.
Rubber protector sheets between play (and these are cleaned regularly).

Topsheet looks almost brand new :)

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 11:54am
wow nice maintenance! i am truly impressed!

Edited by shay2be - 12/25/2011 at 11:54am
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
konnichwakid1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konnichwakid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 12:05pm
That does look good. Is that the blue sponge? I would like to know where I can buy the Skyline 3 blue sponge. I am more concerned about authenticity than a good deal. 
Jun Mizutani with Tenergies
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 12:28pm
The question I have is does it play like new or do the cleaners and rejuvenators have a chemical reaction with the rubber and sponge which affect how they play? Are there safer ones to use and different types of rubber, e.g. Tensor, Tenergy, etc.?
Vihito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vihito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 12:29pm

Click

Tenergy 05

Hand wiped during play

BTY protectors after play

Cleaned with BTY Rushawa every 3 days

More than 250 hours of use

Edited by Vihito - 12/25/2011 at 12:31pm
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 2:55am
I have Chinese rubber scraps lying unprotected in a filing cabinet that remain tacky and look new after a year. They're not exposed to light but should be completely exposed to any oxidation. Now I'm wondering whether rubber covers are even necessary, in addition to cleaning the rubbers after use. Seems like you just need to store them in the dark. Perhaps some rubbers just require higher maintenance?
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 5:22am
Good info thanks.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 8:51am
My team mate has had his bat for about 5-6 seasons. He has never cleaned the rubber or used protection sheets. The setup is Yasaki anti/Sriver. I estimate that it has done well over 300 hours. 
One other thing, he has been top or near top of the division for each of those years.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

My team mate has had his bat for about 5-6 seasons. He has never cleaned the rubber or used protection sheets. The setup is Yasaki anti/Sriver. I estimate that it has done well over 300 hours. 
One other thing, he has been top or near top of the division for each of those years.

Then odds are his rubber's surface doesn't play uniformly and he's simply a good player who makes little adjustments to his play along the way as the rubber looses a bit of friction and bounce.

Yes.  People make too much of the equipment IMO - at least from the standpoint of how much it matters to their level of play.  Some players are very honest and clear in saying that messing around with equipment is part of the fun for them - and I think that's fine.  Just so long as they don't confuse the equipment fiddling with being significantly related to improving their game.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic