Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tear Mender - Any way stop hardening in bottle?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tear Mender - Any way stop hardening in bottle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tear Mender - Any way stop hardening in bottle?
    Posted: 03/16/2012 at 12:04pm
Hello,

Is there any way to prevent Tear mender from congealing inside the bottle once it has been opened. I don't re-glue often, but I find after the initial use the Tear Mender bottle has large clumps of congealed stuff - near the top of the bottle. 

I am assuming mixing with air causes this problem. Is there any way to prevent of minimise this problem.

Thanks in advance
JRS
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 12:46pm
the best way to prevent this from happening is to buy water-based glue.  I tried buying a couple of bottles of Tear Mender and it hardened every time.  One bottle had sat on the shelf so long that it was completely hardened before I even bought it.  I get this glue is cheaper than regular water-based glue, but I've found a 90ml bottle of glue lasts a long time and I've never had any problems with it so I just stay away from rubber cement or other substitutes like tear mender.  I've also found that my pips out sheets didn't play as well with rubber cement compared to water-based glue.  My suggestion is buy tt water-based glue and don't mess with the tear mender.
Good luck.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 1:18pm
Yeah, I just tried to glue some rubber yesterday - when I opened the bottle most of it was congealed. I am hoping some one has found a way to stop it. 

If not it might be more cost effective to go with TT glues. 

Tear Mender - has come out with smaller bottles - but still end up wasting most of it.

Butterfly MPS
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 1:23pm
Just for the heck of it, I opened up my bottle and it still looks OK after a couple of months of non-use. However, I agree that if it congeals so quickly as you describe, then it is probably prohibitively expensive. On the other hand, I really disliked Finezip which as I understand it is one of the better TT glues. It was a pain to put on and impossible to take off the tensor rubber that I had. 
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 2:34pm
I have been using the donic water-based glue for couple years now and have never had a problem with it.  I also used Butterfly's water-glue once and it worked well too.  I also noticed it had more of a citrus smell than the donic glue.  Joola now has a latex glue and I'm gonna give that a try.  The 90ml bottle of donic glue costs about $18 and it lasts me for months.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 2:38pm
dilute with 40% water ... shake vigorously
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

The 90ml bottle of donic glue costs about $18 and it lasts me for months.

hmm, doesn't sound like you're doing enough EJ'ing Wink

actually, sounds like you don't currently have the virus!
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 2:48pm
on a more serious note, i have a 177ml bottle of tearmender that i've opened maybe 10 times over the course of the last 5 or 6 months... i can't tell that it's hardened at all! (just checked it)

bought it cheap on ebay and had it sent all the way to Kuwait

I didn't even know hardening was a problem until i read this thread (I'm a rubber cement guy though)
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 3:17pm
It's interesting 2 people haven't seen any hardening and 2 have. 

I have a small bottle and an unopned bottle - I'll try debraj suggestion and mix 40% water in the small one and see if it will stay liquid for an extended period of time.

On another note: people who use Tear Mender - do you apply the rubber to blade while it's wet or do you wait for it to dry? 

I've been applying it wet - seems to work.

Edited by jrscatman - 03/16/2012 at 3:18pm
Butterfly MPS
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 4:25pm
I've used about all the TT glues out there, and I like Tear Mender the best, but there is different Tear Menders. The BISH'S ORIGINAL in the 6 FL. OZ. is the best. I've used it both ways, putting to-gether while still wet, which I do'nt like the oozing and dry. I put on rubber and blade fairly thick and let dry( about 10 mins.) I'ved showed people how to do this and they have been sold on Tear Mender since, especially how easy it is to re-move glue. If you have any glue from other brands types you want to re-move apply Tear Mender to sponge and blade, let set for a day and pull off old and new glue. I've been using the same bottle for over 6 mos., and no problem hardening.
Shifter
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 5:03pm
The thing I have always disliked about Tear Mender is if you catch the edge of the rubber on the table, like during a push for example, and it peels the rubber up, that spot won't stick back down until you reglue the entire rubber. Other latex TT glue like Free Chack will stick back down.

Edited by Carbon TT - 03/16/2012 at 5:05pm
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
swampthing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 5:06pm
I squeeze out as much air from the bottle before twisting/closing the cap and that ensures good storage.  Now, if you shut the cap and it still sucks air back in... there's your problem.
Xiom Zetro Quad: FH: Hexer HD, BH: Hexer HD
Galaxy K-4: Tibhar Nimbus Medium, Palio Blitz
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Carbon TT Carbon TT wrote:

Other latex TT glue like Free Chack will stick back down.

Really? That's weird. Latex glue isn't supposed to be sticky to anything other than itself after it dries. Maybe you didn't seal the blade and there's some glue residue caught in the wood grain?
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 7:16pm
I've actually found that rubber glued with free chack will stick back down even on hinoki blades sometimes.
Primorac Carbon
MX-P | EL-P
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

I've used about all the TT glues out there, and I like Tear Mender the best, but there is different Tear Menders. The BISH'S ORIGINAL in the 6 FL. OZ. is the best. I've used it both ways, putting to-gether while still wet, which I do'nt like the oozing and dry. I put on rubber and blade fairly thick and let dry( about 10 mins.) I'ved showed people how to do this and they have been sold on Tear Mender since, especially how easy it is to re-move glue. If you have any glue from other brands types you want to re-move apply Tear Mender to sponge and blade, let set for a day and pull off old and new glue. I've been using the same bottle for over 6 mos., and no problem hardening.
I have the older bottle - one with RED/BLUE design. I assumed it was just packaging change with BISH picture. Perhaps the new product is more resistant to hardening inside the bottle. I will try the new version.

I will try letting the glue dry - it does look a little messy when the glue oozes out. 
Thanks

Edited by jrscatman - 03/16/2012 at 9:07pm
Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by swampthing swampthing wrote:

I squeeze out as much air from the bottle before twisting/closing the cap and that ensures good storage.  Now, if you shut the cap and it still sucks air back in... there's your problem.

Didn't try squeezing the air out of the bottle. I started replacing the original tab that covered the bottle - but that didn't help - probably due to the air already in the container. 

Thanks for the suggestion.
Butterfly MPS
ttvet86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvet86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 10:29pm
I purchased a large bottle of Tear Mender in 2008 and up to now it is as fluid as the day I bought it. Didn't do anything special, just stored it in my basement. Maybe exposing it to fluctuating temperatures makes it clump.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by ttvet86 ttvet86 wrote:

I purchased a large bottle of Tear Mender in 2008 and up to now it is as fluid as the day I bought it. Didn't do anything special, just stored it in my basement. Maybe exposing it to fluctuating temperatures makes it clump.

Well I still have an unopened bottle - That should be ok - when first opened it great - it's after first use, I see the clumping. 

Strange it behaves differently for different people. I checked on Amazon - one guy commented - don't buy the large bottle it will get hardened. 

Thanks for your feedback.
Butterfly MPS
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 1:42am
My guess is that Tear Mender is licensed out to several different manufacturers with varying results. I got mine in a white six once plastic squeezable bottle from Ace. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ace has its own specs for the supply that they get because they are such a large outfit. 
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

My guess is that Tear Mender is licensed out to several different manufacturers with varying results. I got mine in a white six once plastic squeezable bottle from Ace. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ace has its own specs for the supply that they get because they are such a large outfit. 

Not sure, many months ago maybe years ago - when Tear Mender started circulating through TT community - I read up on them. As I recall, I believe all the manufacturing is done in your backyard - out of Chicago - Val-A Corp. Hey...maybe you might be able to get factory samples at cheap price.

BTW: I bought mine from a large Candian HW store. Exact same bottle you described. I believe they are moving to new packaging with the inventor's picture. 
Butterfly MPS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic