FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

why women don't use carbon?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why women don't use carbon?
    Posted: 04/01/2012 at 8:31pm
is there any professional woman using carbon blade?
why do they mostly use wood?
Sponsored Links

ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 8:36pm
If I'm not mistaken, Zhang Yining played with a ZLC blade. But yes, it would appear most of the top women prefer all wood blades, most likely because they play so close to the table and they don't really have the same type of power game that many mens players have. So they don't really need the extra pop from a carbon blade. 
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 9:26pm
this would imply that the only advantage of carbon is speed....
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

I wonder if it is really true that a higher percentage of women than men use all-wood blades (among, say, the top 100 in the world)?  Supposedly, the "sweet spot" is larger with carbon, but top women in the world don't mis-hit the ball very often, so I doubt that would be the reason.   
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 9:35pm
i think liu shiwen usese her own "named" blade
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I wonder if it is really true that a higher percentage of women than men use all-wood blades (among, say, the top 100 in the world)?  Supposedly, the "sweet spot" is larger with carbon, but top women in the world don't mis-hit the ball very often, so I doubt that would be the reason.   

the only thing I can think of is that wood has more control.
but supposedly carbon adds control so?
for men I can think of many that use composite.
for women not so many.

Edited by sa01 - 04/01/2012 at 9:48pm
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 10:01pm
carbon adds control???
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 10:10pm
The best control composite blade I've used is the TB ZLF, and that has no carbon at all!
Nittaku Resound
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

carbon adds control???

does it?
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 10:21pm

carbon adds control???

does it?
I would think it would add more control - because the carbon should make the blade stiffer. Stiffer blades would have more control than flexible blades. 

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 10:30pm

for women not so many.

sa01, Your comment just brought something to my mind.  Perhaps because they men play from farther back and hit so much harder, torsion and flex in the blade is a bigger problem for them than it is for women, who don't rip the ball as hard.  So, maybe the reason is that carbon adds control when you are using a great deal of power (like men).  According to this theory, none of the top players, men or women, use carbon or composite because they need more speed or  power on the ball.  Instead, they use it because it allows them to control the power without having excessive flex and vibration.  I guess it's what you are saying, but with an explanation for the preference. It is definitely an interesting question. 
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 10:54pm
maybe the reason is that it adds power in the long range.
some players have plenty of power (ma long, wang liqin) so they use wood while others need that extra power from the racket (timo boll, zhang jike).
women don't play much far from table so theoretically they would not need this advantage of composite.
so the conclusion would be that they consider all wood better except when you don't have enough power far from table (or have enough but want more).
to make it clear I'm talking about carbon as a 2nd ply, that's when you really feel it.
liu shiwen uses it as a 3 ply so it's like almost you can't tell.
feng tianwei uses tube carbo so it doesn't count either.

Edited by sa01 - 04/01/2012 at 10:55pm
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 10:55pm

for women not so many.

sa01, Your comment just brought something to my mind.  Perhaps because they men play from farther back and hit so much harder, torsion and flex in the blade is a bigger problem for them than it is for women, who don't rip the ball as hard.  So, maybe the reason is that carbon adds control when you are using a great deal of power (like men).  According to this theory, none of the top players, men or women, use carbon or composite because they need more speed or  power on the ball.  Instead, they use it because it allows them to control the power without having excessive flex and vibration.  I guess it's what you are saying, but with an explanation for the preference. It is definitely an interesting question. 

Ma Long with his all-wood blade hits with more power than Mitzutani Jun with his carbon blade and Ma Long would beat him over and over again.
Nittaku Resound
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 11:14pm

for women not so many.

Ma Long with his all-wood blade hits with more power than Mitzutani Jun with his carbon blade and Ma Long would beat him over and over again.

that's because ma long has more arm power than mizutani....
this justifies my theory that you only use composite when you need more power.

Edited by sa01 - 04/01/2012 at 11:19pm
konnichwakid1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konnichwakid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 12:09am

for women not so many.

that's because ma long has more arm power than mizutani....
this justifies my theory that you only use composite when you need more power.

I am currently playing the Jun Mizutani blade with T05 2.1 and T64 2.1 and it is one of the slowest setups I have ever used. TB ALC is my other setup and it is almost 2x as fast. 
Jun Mizutani with Tenergies
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 12:12am
I thought a lot of women players switched to some composite after speed glue ban. 
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 12:36am
I find that carbon adds more control at mid distance but i don't feel that it's too much faster, just faster rebound. I just got the 7 ply osp blade and i've never hit the ball faster and i feel especially 3m+ off the table it's a lot quicker than any carbon blade i've used simply because of the amount of flex in the blade. This being said, my technique could be a lot better now..
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 3:23am
Because they don't like it hard.
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Because they don't like it hard.

Never heard that complaint before
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 5:09am

is there any professional woman using carbon blade?
why do they mostly use wood?

boros,dodean and several from europe
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 6:49am
Both have a different feel that is all, its personal preference. 
The Older I get, The better I was.
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 8:31am
They do. Mostly Europeans, not much different than men.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 10:02am
I believe that not nearly as many professional men use carbon as what is advertised, although certainly some percentage does. When I read the weights, setups of what some of the chinese women were using (and this was probably 7-8 years ago) I was surpsrised how heavy...often 200g plus.  I think maybe they are getting power from the sheer weight of the blade.

Edited by cole_ely - 04/02/2012 at 10:03am
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 11:15am
I would say the reason is the following:

A typical carbon blade reduces dwell time. This reduces spin, lowers throw, and produces longer trajectories. This makes it difficult to play close to table. But, for some reason X, women need to play close to table. Therefore successful female players cannot use carbon.

All is needed to complete the explanation is to express X, the reason why women must play close to table. Maybe they are too short to play far from table, or their legs are too weak.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 11:53am

Most of the chinese top players are using all-wood blades.
Ma Long, Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Xu Xin, Wang Liqin...
Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 4:20pm
Ma Long used to play with TBS and ALC with equal facility and effect... my guess is the pros can play with anything.
(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by zzz zzz wrote:

Most of the chinese top players are using all-wood blades.
Ma Long, Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Xu Xin, Wang Liqin...

I think penholders don't count here, their technique is different.
in shakehanders you have
wlq, ma long (wood)
zhang jike, yan an (composite)
hao shuai, chen qi (not sure at this point but used tbs or mmaze)
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 3:23pm
Clap
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

I would say the reason is the following:

A typical carbon blade reduces dwell time. This reduces spin, lowers throw, and produces longer trajectories. This makes it difficult to play close to table. But, for some reason X, women need to play close to table. Therefore successful female players cannot use carbon.

All is needed to complete the explanation is to express X, the reason why women must play close to table. Maybe they are too short to play far from table, or their legs are too weak.

Clap Right !

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic