Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Tenergy or not to Tenergy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Tenergy or not to Tenergy
    Posted: 04/03/2012 at 2:51pm
I am a previous county junior who returned to table tennis 3 years ago after 20 year gap. At first I played with my old sriver, then bought sriver g3 fx. As my game comes back I am now considering something faster and spinnier for my forehand loop. It will be going onto butterfly Korbel blade.

The question is to opt for Tenergy or not (I would go for 05 or 05FX I think)

I play a fairly aggressive loop to backspin but also want to be able to block back opponents shots close to the table and play topspin from a couple of paces back.

Will Tenergy be hard to control or just what I need? Be great to hear from people who switched from something like G3 and either found Tenergy to be either great or difficult to control. And from those who did not like what did they end up with to give good spin and speed instead.

All input and advice welcome.
Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 4:36pm
Tenergy isn't as good close to the table or at blocking, but I think 05 would do on the backhand.

I previously used a lot of tacky rubbers so I find Tenergy 05 easy to control.

If you have a longer swing, you should get something slower and harder.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 4:53pm
 The difference between G3 and T05 is mainly the higher throw of T05 with the addition of spin. There would be an adjustment period but no real problem. G3 is more linear than T05 and I feel offers a bit more control. I think T05 for FH and T05FX for BH is good. Cost is the only downer when considering Tenergy's. Korbel is a great blade for many rubbers so keep an open mind when selecting your next rubbers. Happy hunting.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 5:21pm
Tenergy 25 is the best of the Tenergies for blocking and close to the table play. I use it myself.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

The difference between G3 and T05 is mainly the higher throw of T05 with the addition of spin. There would be an adjustment period but no real problem. G3 is more linear than T05 and I feel offers a bit more control. I think T05 for FH and T05FX for BH is good. Cost is the only downer when considering Tenergy's. Korbel is a great blade for many rubbers so keep an open mind when selecting your next rubbers. Happy hunting.

I think the T05 topsheet is grippier than the G3's.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
AKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 8:30am
All - thanks for your advice.
Still not certain what to go for. Have also been recommended Tibhar Genius and Tibhar Aurus Soft.
Any views on how these would be on Korbel compared to G3 and to Tenergy?
Frogger what else would you suggest for Korbel to get good topspin but also maintain some control? I have an open mind but want to close it and select a new rubber.
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 8:42am
My personal opinion is that Tenergy is good for:

1. Very high level players

2. Players who play very "actively" the whole time e.g. counter topspin a lot of the time instead of blocking. (usually very high level players).

3. Players who read spin and can control spin very well.

See if you can borrow someone's bat and spend some time:

1. Receiving a good server's serve.

2. Returning a good player's topspin (also try to find someone who can hit a heavy brush loop, these can be murder to return using Tenergy).

I find passive play (e.g. a passive block) to incoming spinny shots exceptionally difficult with Tenergy. It is great for looping / counter looping.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 10:12am
try adidas P5, its the closest feeling to tenergy with the same spin but with a lighter weight and lower price
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 10:24am
Originally posted by AKS AKS wrote:

All - thanks for your advice.
Still not certain what to go for. Have also been recommended Tibhar Genius and Tibhar Aurus Soft.
Any views on how these would be on Korbel compared to G3 and to Tenergy?
Frogger what else would you suggest for Korbel to get good topspin but also maintain some control? I have an open mind but want to close it and select a new rubber.

Sinus Sound, Aurus Soft, Extend, Extend HS, 729 Transend, Mark V, Mendo MP, Bryce FX, are just a few. I highly recommend Extend HS as it provides excellent control for the amount of speed and spin it can produce.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

gromousse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gromousse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2012 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

My personal opinion is that Tenergy is good for:

1. Very high level players

2. Players who play very "actively" the whole time e.g. counter topspin a lot of the time instead of blocking. (usually very high level players).

3. Players who read spin and can control spin very well.

See if you can borrow someone's bat and spend some time:

1. Receiving a good server's serve.

2. Returning a good player's topspin (also try to find someone who can hit a heavy brush loop, these can be murder to return using Tenergy).

I find passive play (e.g. a passive block) to incoming spinny shots exceptionally difficult with Tenergy. It is great for looping / counter looping.

I've been playing nearly one year with T64 and know T05 and it's exactly what I'm thinking about tenergies now. I put T64 on my backhand last year, in a quite good period for my game and I realy was in trim. When you play with it for the first time you feel great, but after a while and particularly when you are tired or simply not good, the tenergy forgives nothing. It's even worse with T05 because of the higher grip, blocking passively is just a nightmare. If you can counterloop it's good but I'm not good leveled enough to do that with the backhand (whereas it's very easier with my H3neo in the forehand). I felt the T64 easier to control because it's less sensible to the incoming spin, with a slightly shorter dwell time than T05. But it's still difficult. Actually I feel like I was struggling against the ball all the time with tenergys.
I'm wondering about move to bryce speed fx but the throw angle is low. I tried adidas tenzone and it was like a bryce speed fx with higher throw and spin. I'm going to try rakza 9 and will choose one of these 3 rubbers ; I'll choose the one which makes me feel easy in the game rather than the spinniest or fastest.
OSP Ultimate 2 / T05 / T05fx
jinlai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2012 at 11:51pm
As long as you can afford the ever-increasing price of Butterfly products, go ahead.
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2012 at 11:53pm
Stop.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
swampthing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 12:02am
I've never owned Tenergy and my opinion is that ignorance is bliss on this one.  The likes of Hexer HD, Palio Blitz, Thors or Tibhar Nimbus are enough to push my limit of control on my primary blade and saving money in the process.
Xiom Zetro Quad: FH: Hexer HD, BH: Hexer HD
Galaxy K-4: Tibhar Nimbus Medium, Palio Blitz
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 12:13am
 There are many rubbers on the market that approach the speed and spin levels of Tenergy's but have better control of oncoming spin and a much lower price. Tenergy's are great for players who put in alot of practice time to benefit from it's potential.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic