FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Why WBG and not RC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why WBG and not RC?
    Posted: 04/09/2012 at 11:31am
As inexpensive, easy to clean up, easy to detach and reattach without reapplying as rubber cement is, why do you guys still choose to use water based glues?
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 11:40am
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

As inexpensive, easy to clean up, easy to detach and reattach without reapplying as rubber cement is, why do you guys still choose to use water based glues?

1. Rubber Cement sucks to get off softer sponges and often allows for the high probability of chunking the sponge.

2. WBG gives me a much much better application that is more even and smooth, allows for a think or thick layer quite easily in comparison.

3. RC sucks to apply smooth and even, unless you thin it way down...but then you get a dome and have to wait for the rubber to relax prior to mounting.

4. WBG gives me a much much stronger adhesion to the blade.  I use Tear Mender. 

Now, I just find using the TE.....I can glue pretty quickly and get a much better result.  The cost difference to RC is not a big deal as the cost difference to a table tennis companies glues are about the same difference in the other direction.  For me, getting a good glue job and not having problems removing and re-gluing are my main concerns. 

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 11:49am
I've never used WBG, only RC.

I apply 2 coats to the sponge and upon re-applying the rubber, I only put the RC onto the blade.  I never have glue build-up. 
The removal of rubber has not been an issue.  I still don't understand why you need to apply 'glue' to the sponge AND the blade each time.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 11:59am
I used both and I don't think WBG gives a more even and smooth application. If you look at the light reflection from the glued rubber you'll see unevenness more often with WBG. The other disadvantage is if the rubber peels off near the outer edge, you can't press it to make it stick again like with rubber cement.

But I still prefer to use WBG now, because it's clean, easy to remove from sponge, and doesn't smell, which is important as that avoids the wife's complaints.. The cost isn't really an issue as it's so cheap with Tear Mender.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 12:35pm
RC stretches the rubber. I don't care what's legal and what not, but I don't want the rubber to play different every day.
Also it is yukky. It is a real goo. 
WBG is just more pleasant to work with and frankly I don't think the price difference matters unless you glue 10 paddles every week. Even then it probably wouldn't matter.
I really can't think of any reason to use RC
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 12:56pm
I've use RC (Elmer's) and WBG (Tear Mender). Both work fine. No problems applying or removing it. However, some of the newer rubbers may be adversely affected by RC (so I am told) which is why I switched to WBG (Tear Mender) as have several of my friends. However, there are so many different permutations of blades, rubbers, and glues that I think it is very easy for a problem to develop. Now, I am dealing with a whole new level of problem over above gluing - i.e. sealing! Now, I have to ask, what is the best combination of rubber, blade, glue, and sealant? I wonder if I will have time to actually play. Smile
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Now, I am dealing with a whole new level of problem over above gluing - i.e. sealing! Now, I have to ask, what is the best combination of rubber, blade, glue, and sealant? I wonder if I will have time to actually play. Smile

It seems WBG does splinter the wood more often, maybe because it gets into the grains more. I've sealed blades with polyurethane and water-based polycrylic. I just use a paper towel with both and never had any splintering afterwards, although I don't remove rubbers often, like once or twice in a few months...
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

It seems WBG does splinter the wood more often, maybe because it gets into the grains more. I've sealed blades with polyurethane and water-based polycrylic. I just use a paper towel with both and never had any splintering afterwards, although I don't remove rubbers often, like once or twice in a few months...

It is quite a dilemma. I just received a reply from Killerspin blaming a badly splintered blade on Tear Mender, which is a WBG. They even suggested I use RC. I am not sure I should seal since if I seal it and something goes wrong, then the manufacturer will blame the sealant or the glue, or a combination of both. There is no good way to do this.  
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 1:38pm
just plain polyorethane, thinly applied with a paper towel, make sure you wipe everything and no drops are left. Brings our the grain of the wood too - looks great in my opinion.. 
Then brush slightly with 800 or 1000 sandpaper or something close to that. Just to smooth out microscopic spikes. When I took off my rubbers in the club everyone said the blade looks great. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

It is quite a dilemma. I just received a reply from Killerspin blaming a badly splintered blade on Tear Mender, which is a WBG. They even suggested I use RC. I am not sure I should seal since if I seal it and something goes wrong, then the manufacturer will blame the sealant or the glue, or a combination of both. There is no good way to do this.  

They're just making excuses. Their blade is obviously prone to splinter due to poor design or quality control,  and if not sealed would of done so with most of the relatively strong TT glues, water-based or not.

It's easy to seal your blade to prevent splintering: just rub a little poly-u onto the blade face and edge with paper towel or lint-free cloth. It really can't get too thin, and I don't bother to sand it afterwards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic