FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Using New Plastic Balls with Robots!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using New Plastic Balls with Robots!
    Posted: 04/11/2012 at 12:39pm
Ok, since I have been asked about this a few times lately and also have seen many comments about this subject......allow me to give you some info on the situation as I know. 

There are 2 main areas of the robot this ball size change will effect.  The ball pick up and delivery to the head area.....and the distance of the throwing wheel or throwing wheels pending on if the robot is single or dual throwing wheel.

Some robots have the ability to adjust the throwing wheel's spacing to allow for the difference of worn wheels, or in this case the new plastic balls that are slightly larger than current balls.   

Off the top of my head.....these robots would include:
Oukei
AMDT
Butterfly
Killerspin (their new one which is a Oukei V1)
Newstar

Other robots that do not have any adjustment to the throwing wheel motors and wheels, the manufacture should be able to make a new sized throwing wheel to adjust for the new balls. 

The problem otherwise with some robots would possibly be in the ball pickup and feed tube to head area. Most robots allow for a wide gap of the ball moving up from the bottom of the catch pan to the head. The Newstar robots use a shim in the bottom of the pickup area to "pinch and move" the ball upwards.  These robots would need a new shim size to accommodate this new plastic ball change. The Newstar robots do have the ability to use a 44mm ball as well by taking out the current shim on the bottom pick up area. Not sure who would use the 44mm ball....but is was incorporated in the robots design. 

As far as the Newgy's and Supermaster robots go, they will most likely be the ones with problems using the new balls.  The pickup/feed tube area may not like the slightly larger balls, but I am not sure yet.  These robots are prone to jamming at times and the different size ball might aggravate that even more.

So, if you think your robot will be useless after the ball change goes into effect........NO, some will just need to be modified slightly.  Some are already capable, some will need new parts, but the cost to do so (if any) will differ.  Hopefully it will not be that big of a deal for manufactures to adjust their current robots to the new size when and if needed. 

Sponsored Links

ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 4:29pm
makes sense.
Thanks Rich

This is like one of those road renaming excercises by politicians. The genius think it is just a signature on paper, for the rest of the world we are talking a lot more - sign boards, gps, maps, couriers, postal service, books, websites and a lot more places that requires updates

Conclusion is, the genius says jump and we jump, he doens't spend a cent, and it is going to cost a lot of money for the rest of us to follow his command :(
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 8:42pm
Call me optimistic, but somehow i don't expect too many issues.The reason is that most robots work with training balls, and the finer tolerances that are required on 3* ITTF approved balls are not really required on training balls. Training balls are often balls from the same machine that makes the 3* balls but are rejected due to not meeting specs, so many are probably bigger already. Since few robots have trouble with training balls, I doubt they'll have trouble with the new balls.
I hope to find out soon myself, as I'll put some through the test Big smile
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 11:28pm
haggisv......I hope it wont be an issue too, but the problem with the size difference might effect the longevity of the plastic balls as well. I am wondering if these new balls will have a tendency to kink/dent or deform without actually cracking compared to the celluloid balls because the plastic balls are bigger.

I have never checked the size differences between all the various training, 1 star, 2 star, 3 star balls I have, but I would be interested to see what others come up with there. Could there be some current balls that are the same size that the new 40mm+ tolerance will be?   I recall some balls seemed smaller than the average 3 star ones I use, not sure about larger. 

Also, there are different harnesses and materials the throwing wheels are made out of on many robots.  Some rely on fairly tight tolerances compared to others with the gap distance from wheel to wheel. The gap distance also depends on the hardness, flexibility, and shape of the wheel at the ball contact point. Some wheels have a more concave shape to them and some are basically fairly flat at the contact point. 

With the ball being slightly larger, you might see the robot throwing or spinning the ball differently because the range of pressure needed to throw/spin a ball to make various shots and lofts.  I would think that using the new ball on some robots that have harder wheels, might create a larger compression or pinch between the wheels as they are shot out and thus effect the outcome of how the ball behaves.  The throwing wheels that are the softer foam like Butterfly and Oukei robots will have less effect of this.  But also those robots are easily adjustable for the gap between wheels.   

I would love to test some new balls for sure in a few robots, but for now.....its still seems that no one really knows what will happen until the new balls are finalized or refined enough to justify full release and use.  I guess we shall see what happens when the time comes.  If I ever get any info from manufactures about possible testing or anything related to the new balls.....I will surely report it. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic