Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Footwork advice needed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ttEDGE - William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Footwork advice needed!
    Posted: 04/27/2012 at 9:48am
I'm asking for some help from the MyTT community for a project I'm doing:
  1. Where do you feel your footwork is letting you down? (ie specific movements).
  2. Is it because you don't know what the correct footwork is or just can't do it for physical reasons?
  3. Would you be willing to pay for a DVD / download if it explained every question you had about the correct footwork for every movement in table tennis?

I would really appreciate any feedback you could give.

Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 10:02am
1. As a right handed player, I'm not too sure of the proper footwork to take a forehand on my left side when I'm already deep on the right side. As an example, If I'm in a rally against another right hander, hitting forehand side to forehand side and suddenly the ball is hit somewhat wide to my left (not so wide that it would completely require a backhand), I find myself using a weak off position backhand stroke that is either very easy for the opponent to capitalize on or misses the table entirely.

2. It's because I do not know what the correct footwork is.

3. Unfortunately not at this time. I'm a college student and money isn't as available as I would like it to be.

Though please understand William that I have complete respect for you and this whole ttEDGE business is a really great idea. 
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 10:30am
For me the biggest problem is forgetting to keep the feet moving. 
When I do remember to keep the feet moving - I don't seem to be in sync with the ball. What would very useful for me is tips on timing and rhythm. 

Another question I have is - most of us are looking at elite atheletes and trying to imitate them. Without the talent, skills or  the training. Is there footwork techniques available to the amateur players - that can be utilized by the club players? If not can you create one?

I would pay for footwork video - if it's not too expensive, also it has to offer more than what is freely available on youtube. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 10:31am

For reference I am a right-handed shakehand player about USATT 1600 rating

1. a)Moving to the left to hit with my Fh when the ball is hit to my elbow
    b)Moving to the far right to cover the wide to Fh serve return
    c)Not returning to more central position after making any larger move to either side.  Feels like I am always stuck out wide of the table even if the move to get to the ball seemed well done.

2. I think I understand the basics of the correct movements.  But in game situations I just do not seem to make the correct movements.  With robot and slower speeds I seem to make the movements ok, but at game speed everything breaks down and I move differently.

3. Probably not.   That may change as I think I am losing my coach and will be doing more self coaching in the future.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 04/27/2012 at 10:33am
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 10:51am
1: My moving in general could be better if I focus on it, but the main problem for me is, the opponent hits 4 balls in a row, then he hits 1 slightly off which goes to my hip, then instead of stepping I mostly just try to hang as far as I can and hit it anyway, this happens almost always.

2: I know what to do, my feet just seem to glue to the floor if I havent really have to more for a few balls, I think I might have a fix for it though (when playing topspin use more hipmovement, this make me move my feet and automatically stay in movement)

3: Like someone said above, if its better then youtube material and if you aren't wearing white shirts. Not sure if you give the tips while wearing white shirts but it annoys me. *just checked, its not you:P*

Edited by Thomasson - 04/27/2012 at 10:52am
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:24am
I think for the most part, footwork is not something that can be learned from videos for several reasons.

First, if you know the footwork ( the actual steps ) and work on it without the ball, it becomes useless when the ball is introduced because of the high level of coordination that involves the ball with the footwork.

Second, it is almost impossible to "get it" just from seeing it - there are many elements involved in the footwork. Reading where the ball will go needs to happen before moving and at my level this is not done well enough. Next, understanding angles and where your position needs to be after a certain shot is another reason where we lack footwork because we simply do not know WHERE to move - instead merely reacting.

From what I've seen at my modest level, people have trouble with a few elements in terms of footwork:

1. Moving out to a wide ball on the forehand
2. Moving out far from table on the forehand and coming in close to the table on a subsequent soft shot also on the forehand.
3. Moving out to a wide ball on the forehand and coming back to a wide ball to the backhand. ( also an element of moving back and not being able to cover the distance, but this one is most likely not a footwork problem, but a problem of a shot selection )
4. Getting stuck ( not using any footwork ) when attacked in the crossover.

Things that are done pretty well ( because most people practice this )

1. Backhand/Forehand transitions from the same point
2. Backhand forehand transitions from backhand corner and middle of the table.
3. Pivot around the backhand to use the forehand

William, I guess if you can put the information in such a fashion that explains not the actual footwork, but the uses of the footwork and reading of the angles, this would be more applicable and much more beneficial for the learning player.

I am definitely interested in something that would explain this in detail. Not sure what the cost of this would be, but I guess the average price of other videos out there ( 20 -25 bucks ) would be reasonable.

Other points to consider if you choose to create the video, is to show how to minimize play against your footwork. Lets say a player knows that he can't cover the distance because of whatever reasons. And the player plays closer, but still had trouble. It would be good to show how to use the angles properly in order to bring the ball into the line of play where footwork demands would be minimal. This would be best to show in terms of forehand and backhand dominant players alike. Also for left and right handed players.

Good luck with your project. Please update us on it from time to time.

Thanks,

Alex

Back to table tennis...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:26am
Thanks so much guys. I leave Vienna on Monday so I'm trying to get on overview on whether we've forgotten anything and I think we're good.

A whole new world has opened up to me during my time at the Werner Schlager Academy. I've worked with good coaches before and made it to just outside the top 100, but only now after my time here do I feel like I have learned how to move properly. I didn't know what I didn't know.

@jrscatman - there are only a few guys in the world who can move like Ma Lin or Ryu Seung Min. I learned that fast movement is much more about correct footwork technique than leg strength or hours of footwork training. The feet moving in the right order with the right weight transfer and some simple points to keep in mind will improve anyone's footwork.

I haven't seen anything on youtube quite like what we're doing so I hope we'll be bringing something new to the table. And I completely understand that many just won't be interested in paying.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:32am
Thank you, William. It is very aspiring to see that even high level players such as yourself find still learn new things that you "didn't know". Us, the amateurs, are constantly in this state forever seeking many pieces of the puzzle to this wonderful game. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge with us.
Back to table tennis...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:48am
Thanks Leshxa, you got in just before me with your big reply! What we'll be hoping to show is how using the right movements and weight transfers will leave you in a position to cover the opponent's shots more effectively.

I did not realise how much of an impact poor footwork, balance, movement patterns was having on my ability to be able to react to where I had to be for the next shot. I turned out I wasn't just 'slow' but was doing things wrong. If I'm putting all my weight on my right foot (without really realising it) after playing a wide forehand then it's no surprise I don't have leverage to get back into a good position for my next shot and will be slow to move and react to ANY shot the opponent plays.

I hear you about the type of directional tactics video you are after. I do this in my match analysis videos on the website however certainly think there is scope for a more in-depth look of how to use placements and tactics to your advantage based on your strengths and weaknesses.

Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Thank you, William. It is very aspiring to see that even high level players such as yourself find still learn new things that you "didn't know". Us, the amateurs, are constantly in this state forever seeking many pieces of the puzzle to this wonderful game. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge with us.

I can't believe how much I've learned during my time in Austria. It's all about who you work with and how much they care about making you better.

Edited by ttEDGE - William - 04/27/2012 at 11:49am
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:58am
I can execute the 3 point footwork as demonstrated by RSM below, keeping my stance wide and not bringing my feet together.

I can't, however, even begin to glide laterally like Xu Xin does. I can see how RSM pivots and pushes off with his legs to get moving, but I can't figure out how XX is doing it. Could be the camera angle, but XX appears to pivot less, almost as though he is using only his feet to drive his body.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by ttEDGE - William ttEDGE - William wrote:

I'm asking for some help from the MyTT community for a project I'm doing:
  1. Where do you feel your footwork is letting you down? (ie specific movements).
  2. Is it because you don't know what the correct footwork is or just can't do it for physical reasons?
  3. Would you be willing to pay for a DVD / download if it explained every question you had about the correct footwork for every movement in table tennis?

I would really appreciate any feedback you could give.

Thanks, William. That's a rather important and touchy subject for me - as well as for many veterans who do not have good footwork or simply cannot move as fluidly now as they could 20-30-40 years ago (bad back, bad knees, extra weight etc.)

1. Quick 1-2 step to the left is certainly one of my weaker points. Also my feet often react after my hands, which is not good - so I miss relatively easy balls reaching for them instead of making half-step first then (or while) executing the stroke

2. Both. Right now it is more physical constraints, but when I was much younger I was not properly coached about footwork (except for general slogans like "footwork is super-important" and "brain-feet-hands" - this one could have helped if we had any actual exercises to imprint it on us).

3. Not really, I guess. It is too late for me now (almost 50 yrs old now). The thing is, that I know (more or less) my main footwork problems and I work on them a bit (as much as my physique allows) but I can only chip away at them a little... and probably there is no point in working on more specific stuff.

Also I am working on losing some weight which should generally help with easier footwork.

One other problem is improper balance of my body. Because I have some knee problems I avoid bending the knees too much which leads to me keeping the legs straight most of the time - that's not good for many shots and for doing quick movements before the stroke. Even when I bend the knees I have this bad habit of quickly "dropping my butt" which means I often commit too early to the final position.

Any general advice on that - anyone?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 12:28pm
XX is doing some very specific things with his feet, legs and body that are easily missed if you don't know exactly what to look for. It all goes so fast that the details are lost. I have been searching for existing videos that show how each part moves and explain what part does what, in which order and why but haven't found much. The Chinese know how to move very, very well. What RSM is doing in his video is much simpler than what XX is doing.

Thanks Jim! :)

Edited by ttEDGE - William - 04/27/2012 at 12:35pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 12:38pm
My biggest problem is not moving far enough to the left when I want to step around and loop (I am right handed).  For me it is a combination of age and laziness.  
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 12:53pm
I seem to have a "heavy" left foot (I'm right-handed), especially with a ball to my far right. For some reason it's easier for me to move to the left and take a FH. Maybe it's because of the back swing...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 12:59pm
"Heavy left foot" is a common term for certain movements and is a good thing Zingy.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:02pm

"Heavy left foot" is a common term for certain movements and is a good thing Zingy.

OK, I'd like to know how to make this a good thing for my game LOL
swampthing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:03pm
IMO, The tackiness of the floor surface plays a role too.  My footwork seems better on a floor with more forgiveness than a glossy gym floor that's like fly paper. 

But I don't want to digress too much :)  Thanks for the great post William!
1. Moving to my right is less coordinated.  I have tried scissor stepping on a tread mill at low speed and I can move much better and faster going to my left.
2. Both (currently trying to bring my weight down to help though)
3. Yes

Edited by swampthing - 04/27/2012 at 1:03pm
Xiom Zetro Quad: FH: Hexer HD, BH: Hexer HD
Galaxy K-4: Tibhar Nimbus Medium, Palio Blitz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by swampthing swampthing wrote:

IMO, The tackiness of the floor surface plays a role too.  My footwork seems better on a floor with more forgiveness than a glossy gym floor that's like fly paper.

Ha! And I'm the opposite swamp. I hate any sort of slipping or gliding. You'll see a thick mash of wet tissue paper next to the table for any match that I'm playing on red mat flooring. I wipe my soles down after every point. Thanks for your feedback.

curtisburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtisburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:29pm
I have spent many hours analyzing footwork on youtube and learned a lot, but I've never had it explained.  From my experience I would agree with you that it is mostly just the right technique, not just ahleticism.  I would like to hear what you learned.  I think it would be helpful to include some footwork analysis in actual matchplay as well as training exercise analysis.  I would pay $20-$25 for a download of 45 min to 1 hour. 
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:43pm

@jrscatman - there are only a few guys in the world who can move like Ma Lin or Ryu Seung Min. I learned that fast movement is much more about correct footwork technique than leg strength or hours of footwork training. The feet moving in the right order with the right weight transfer and some simple points to keep in mind will improve anyone's footwork.

I haven't seen anything on youtube quite like what we're doing so I hope we'll be bringing something new to the table. And I completely understand that many just won't be interested in paying.
William,
Thanks very much - If you could provide the basics that can be utilised by the average club player - I would pay for that. 

Good luck with the footwork project. In my opinion this is the most important skill players must learn. 

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:51pm
1. my main problem is how to move on any side when receiving service, looks like I'm 10 times slower than when playing point. Also, far right movement, especially during service receive.
2. I both don't know proper footwork and could be I'm not fit because of too much sitting at comp.
3. Today knowledge is not free, we all know this. And good advices can be worth more than any blade and rubber. But also is fact it's hard to learn by watching the video, without intense practicing, and understanding your body physics and centers of mass and weight transfer and probably many more things. Still, I think' I'd rather invest some money into knowledge instead of in new average priced blade for example.

Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:55pm
Thanks for giving me your first ever post here curtis! I think (hope) there are many in your situation. It's the detailed explanation of what your options are in different situations (and what choosing each option will mean for your power, movement and recovery) that I've had found is missing. I want to create a clear picture in the viewer's mind about what it looks like. If I can't picture myself doing a stroke or movement then I can't recreate it on the table in a consistent way.

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Good luck with the footwork project. In my opinion this is the most important skill players must learn.

Over the past week I've been doing a string of interviews with the players and coaches here in Vienna that I'll be making videos, about different skills in TT, of and putting on youtube. A lot on the go at the moment! They almost all mention how correct footwork is the basis for all power, movement, recovery, balance and basically everything else!
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 2:26pm
Really looking forward to this project; I'd definitely buy a copy of the videos.
RankAmateur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 2:36pm
I tell you this is so similar to boxing, the whole idea of smooth movement of the feet, both lateral and forward and backward, without crossing the legs or bringing them together, then using the hips to lead the body and generate power with the arms and wrists.  Remarkable how similar some sports can be.  I think I need to dust off my memory from boxing in the 80s if I expect to become a good TT player.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Really looking forward to this project; I'd definitely buy a copy of the videos.

I'll keep everyone posted when we're getting close to release. Will take some time to work through all the footage...

You are so right rank. Many sports overlap in terms of optimal mechanics. Some we spoke about while scripting and filming were the similarities between some of the movements forehand topspin in TT and the throwing motion in discus or hammer throw.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 4:33pm
RankAmateur,
I agree with you. I regularly do aerobic kickboxing for fitness and sometimes, after TT training, I have some fun by doing TT movements, instead of the boxing movements, on the pedestal punching bag. It's amazing how some basics are the same. Also I feel I'm moving much faster since I do.

As to William's questions:
  1. I move rather fast, but I feel I generally have a problem of incorrect balance at the moment of hitting the ball.
  2. Because I don't know how to do it right.
  3. Yes, but only if explanations were complemented by exercises. I'd appreciate a number of exercises that one can make at home without a table or partner. I'd be willing to pay about $20-$25.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Boro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 9:17pm

Ping Pong Ball Training Fran TT 4

Boro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 9:20pm

Ping Pong Ball Training Fran TT 5

Boro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 9:21pm

Ping Pong Ball Training Fran TT 6

Boro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 9:25pm

Ping Pong Ball Training Fran TT 9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic