FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Adidas P5 review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adidas P5 review
    Posted: 04/28/2012 at 1:44am

this rubber should have been reviewed by me a lot earlier than the tenzones and P7 but it was only until now that I have fully given time testing this beautiful rubber. 

Rubber: Adidas P5
Thickness: 2.2mm red and 2.0mm black
Sponge hardness: about 36-37 degrees in DHS scale
Weight: Uncut 172 x 172 mm, 62-64grams
Blade: Adidas Avenger 5 and 7
Speed: OFF

This spin elastic rubber has been introduced by Adidas as a viable option for a Tenergy 05 and not as a "clone". With not much practice nowadays because Im too busy coaching, my control for the P7 and the beastly Tenzone diminished and so then I tried the P5 since a friend of mine really swears by P5 as the best he has tried. 

Doing the drills immediately after gluing both 2.0mm and max P5's on my Adidas Avenger 5 i noticed that it wasn't as fast as the Tenzone or P7. The speed was more like Acuda S2 speed, still fast but very controllable. The P5 has a loud "tok" sound when hitting with it through the sponge. Driving produces a medium arc. Control seems to be topnotched and accuracy of ball placement is very high compared to tenzone and P7.

Next, I was excited to test it on looping. The P5 has a high throw, a lil bit lower than that of the Tenergy 05 but still high. The is being projected in a high beautiful arc and you can see the ball having lots and lots of spin in it for both forehand and backhand loops. I could say this is a pure looping rubber simply because it performs nicely on slow and regular speed loops. Power loops or spin drives are still very good but this rubber is built mostly for closed to the table attacks up to mid distance. This rubber is not for mid distance power shots as the Tenzone and P7 were built specifically for this distance. 

Blocking is also a good feature of this rubber. Both the 2.0 and max were very good for blocking. Blocking is very stable against loops and other attacks since the rubber is not as sensitive as tenergy 05. Both passive and active blocks are easy.

Serving is good since the rubber is very spinny. Pushes are very controllable and spinny also. Since this rubber was designed for close to the table game, short strokes like drop shots and flicks are its strength inside the table. This rubber is very forgiving adding to the less sensitivity for incoming spin, people who will use it would find it user friendly.

I believe that this rubber is excellent for players who are looking for a very good alternative of T05. Its less faster by about 10% but I didnt really feel a lot of loss in speed with almost equal spin between the P5 and T05. Good thing is that its a lot less expensive with some online sites offering it even for just 38 usd. I will not say it feels like a T05 because both are different rubbers but its a very good option. Players who love spinny looping and good feeling will surely like this rubber. Recommended for hard or medium hard blades. Recommended for intermediate to advanced levels of playing, 1.8 is good enough for beginners though

LOL

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 2:03am
nice review sir, i hope its as durable as T05 with half the price
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 2:43am
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

mikepong, FYI "yogi bear" is not necessarily a "Man" it is a beautiful woman :)
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 5:31am
Originally posted by right2niru right2niru wrote:

Really?
Epic fail Tongue
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 5:43am
 ?  High throw : P5 vs S2,Baracuda,Vega Pro,T64,T25 ?  Thanks .

Edited by viktorovich - 04/28/2012 at 6:33am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 7:27am
mikepong, so far friends of mine have not complained of any defects or the P5 wearing out too fast. 

viktor, P5 has a higher throw than S2, lower than baracuda slightly, higher than vega pro and in between tenergy 25 and 05's throw so its higher than the 64.

A friend of mine told me today after we played that he finds my pushes really spinny witht the P5 max in the backhand. He is using a donic slice 40 on the backhand and is good in giving low pushes but told me that my pushes are almost as spinny as his. this is both on short and deep pushes in the table
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

DragonSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragonSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 7:35am
Hi Yogi bear, thanks for the great review.
How's P5 spin compare to T05/T64 in service and loop?
Thanks.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 7:47am
its spinnier than T64, about 10% less than T05 in some strokes like slow looping and sidespin serves. on underspin serves though the P5 seems spinnier

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by right2niru right2niru wrote:

im just gonna assume that this is a joke Confused

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 11:43am
Hi Yogi, in comparison to Tibhar 1Q Max on forehand how would you compare speed, spin and throw????
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 11:56am
I would also like to know how the P5 in 2.0  would compare to Rakza Soft 2.0 if possible.   Speed, throw, spin, and feel.    Thanks for any help all to have used both.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 12:31pm
Hi yogi_bear,

Not familiar with DHS hardness scale: could you compare hardness of both sponge and topsheet with some popular rubbers (T05, Acuda S2, Rakza 7) so we can get an idea?

How is it for smashing from a scale of bad (T05) to great (R7)?

From what you're saying, it is a light rubber (about the same weight as S2 and less than R7 & T05). That makes it interesting. Would you say it is more suited for BH or FH play?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

Hi Yogi, in comparison to Tibhar 1Q Max on forehand how would you compare speed, spin and throw????

Having reviewed the 1Q, P5 is slower than the 1Q but spinnier by about 20%, P5 has a higher throw. The 1Q is faster with a lower trajectory but 1Q is better long distance from the table compared to P5

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

I would also like to know how the P5 in 2.0  would compare to Rakza Soft 2.0 if possible.   Speed, throw, spin, and feel.    Thanks for any help all to have used both.

rich, i only had a few hits with the rakza soft max so im gonna compare it with the max P5. The Rakza soft is definitely has an overall softer feel and sponge than the P5. If Raksa 7 soft is soft, the P5 is medium soft. P5 is faster by a small margin. P5 is spinnier and has a higher throw. though the Rakza 7 soft is a better blocking rubber.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Hi yogi_bear,

Not familiar with DHS hardness scale: could you compare hardness of both sponge and topsheet with some popular rubbers (T05, Acuda S2, Rakza 7) so we can get an idea?

How is it for smashing from a scale of bad (T05) to great (R7)?

From what you're saying, it is a light rubber (about the same weight as S2 and less than R7 & T05). That makes it interesting. Would you say it is more suited for BH or FH play?

sponge hardness:
T05>P5
S2>P5
R7>P5
P5 is medium soft

I would say its above average in smashing but its not its best feature. Its more of a loopers rubber. blocking is very good though. I wouldnt say its light but average. Its lighter than T05 definitely. Im using both for my fh and bh. The 2.0mm was enough for the fh since its fast enough with my strokes and the max version on my BH. I would say both sides suit the P5 but its more of a forehand rubber. I would particularly point out that it can produce a very spinny push chop that is ALMOST as spinny as a thin tacky chinese rubber or a donic slice defensive rubber

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

rich, i only had a few hits with the rakza soft max so im gonna compare it with the max P5. The Rakza soft is definitely has an overall softer feel and sponge than the P5. If Raksa 7 soft is soft, the P5 is medium soft. P5 is faster by a small margin. P5 is spinnier and has a higher throw. though the Rakza 7 soft is a better blocking rubber.

Thanks Yogi......Looks like the P5 might not be what I would look for as an alternative to the Rakza soft.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 4:45am
rich how about a Joola Xplode Sensitive?

gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2012 at 12:54am
This is what happen to my P5 i took it off from my ludeack blade and i use WBG it just rip out just like that..i just used this twice i was surprised that it happen coz my adidas p3 i keep on moving to different blades  all the time. i was peeling it off from the handle and i thought it was gently done:((. This particular Adidas i ordered it from  india. Maybe it's not my lucky day and i have a heavy heart.Ouch

Edited by gatz - 05/16/2012 at 6:54am
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2012 at 1:25am
Not good!!!!!!!!!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2012 at 9:29am
yup, though i think its an isolated and rare case. her other P5 is still good

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2012 at 1:02pm
Yikes! That looks bad. Can't take a chance on that happening. I was just chatting with Apex Sports on getting the P5 but I'll suspend getting Adidas rubbers for trial & look for some other brand now.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2012 at 1:10pm
PEBCAKYou must have tried really hard to tear the rubber apart instead of focusing on separating it from the blade ...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2012 at 8:35pm
I removed a sheet of P5 from my blade without any problem.  
AndresFrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndresFrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2013 at 10:42pm
the fundamental question is .....
such is the durability of this adidas p5, I would like to try to replace my Donic bluefire m2, in my adidas c100. I help a lot or you could compare the durability compared to tenergy 05, also leaving adidas bubble in P3?
tnksTongue
blade: Adidas c100-fl

FH: Andro Rasant turbo 2,1
BH: Andro Rasant turbo 2,1
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 8:07am
my p5 lasted  4-5 months playing 5x a week. the p3 is also durable. though i suggest you get the p7 it is much more durable and lasted longer than the t05fx that my friend was using

AndresFrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndresFrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 6:06pm
then the p5 has good durability, but as your as you might compare the p5 to p7, because as I see the p5 is a very controlled rubber but is still powerful.
the durability and performance matter to me, but more durability because of money 
Tnks yogi
blade: Adidas c100-fl

FH: Andro Rasant turbo 2,1
BH: Andro Rasant turbo 2,1
pak abu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pak abu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2013 at 12:48am
How about direct comparison P7 with P5? Spin, speed, hardness sponge? Also if anyone can compare those with rakza 7..thanks

Edited by pak abu - 06/24/2013 at 12:49am
DHS TG 506+

FH: JOOLA Rhyzm (black, max)

BH: YASAKA Rakza 7 Soft (red,2.0mm)

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2013 at 8:15pm
P7 feels softer than P5, with an an increase on the spin and speed for the p7. the p7 is easier to create spin also. rakza 7 is like a faster p5 with almost the same spin

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

P7 feels softer than P5

this is a bit confuse .. in review you say P5 is about 36-37 degrees in DHS scale and in P7 review you said it's 38 degrees by DHS scale
so P7 should be harder than P5?

Edited by piligrim - 09/01/2014 at 2:46pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2014 at 8:46pm
that was my initial review but the feel was way different as a few days passed by and i was not able to update it. the P5 feels harder than the P7. more or less the sponge hardness is not that far apart but when you start to play with them the P5 felt harder. sorry for the confusion 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic