Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

thin 5 ply wooden blade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 4:42am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

HK is softer, HK II is faster, HK III is the ultimate weapon in terms of speed and sweet spot, but you would probably like more HH III for it's thinner, flexible and nas no internal limits for power application.

Allright, this is turning into the all time thread for lovers of flexy blade lovers" I've recently found that I appreciate the control and flex of the Stiga Offensive Oversize. It has a big sweet spot and it's better for blocking. I'm Currently using Mark V on it and like the control. Anyone try this blade? What other blades might I might like? Any OSP blades yfit the bill.
Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 5:12am
The OSP Expert is the best of the blades in the class that I've tried, I own a HK, OC CR, Stiga Allround classic and Acoustic.

Speed, Acoustic > Expert > HK > OC CR > AC
Flex, Expert > HK > OC CR > Acoustic > AC

Power (combination of spin and speed) Expert > Acoustic > HK > OC CR > AC

Overall as a blade rating,  Expert > HK > Acoustic > OC CR > AC

Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 5:50am
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

@ Stoi__

For only 14,99 British pounds, just pick up a Pegasus and try it for yourself Smile 

I'll have to get one of those calipers that measure thicknesses, and let you know the thicknesses of my two blades.  I think I may know someone with one of those.  

Its not "only" 15BP. Its 24E including shipping. Definitely not cheap but also i am not going broke. Whatever, ordered! I am thinking of Fuga now... You turn my EJ habit on.

king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Stoi Stoi wrote:

@ Stoi__
For only 14,99 British pounds, just pick up a Pegasus and try it for yourself Smile 
I'll have to get one of those calipers that measure thicknesses, and let you know the thicknesses of my two blades.  I think I may know someone with one of those.  

Its not "only" 15BP. Its 24E including shipping. Definitely not cheap but also i am not going broke. Whatever, ordered! I am thinking of Fuga now... You turn my EJ habit on.

That's why you need a few EJ friends who need some gear too .There's good deals on jerseys and shorts in that Clearance section as well. Split shipping with them and it won't be as bad
Jubei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jubei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 10:26pm

This is most certainly not true.  Banda Virgo and Gemini are likely those plies (limba-ayous-ayous-ayous-limba) though in different thicknesses.  Virgo is likely the same as Stiga AC.  That is my conjecture and I think I've read that somewhere.
Banda Gemini is identical to Nittaku Wan Liqin-ANV (I read that on a Chinese site and it appears true, as one of Nittaku's less common, "Made in Sweden blades").  I own one. It's one hell of a fast blade. 
The Banda Pegasus, however, is most definitely Limba-Spruce-Ayous. The hash-marked woodgrain is unmistakable.
I stand corrected. Thank you.
I just read in ooakt forum, Banda Gemini is also identical to Stiga Energy Wood.

Slightly off topic...
Someone said that original Stiga OC has koto-spruce-ayous and the new OC now has limba-spruce-ayous.
Can anybody explain the difference in play between outer koto vs limba? I noted that most people were looking for the original OC
Jubei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jubei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 10:29pm
Is there any online shop that still sells Nittaku ANV WL????
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Jubei Jubei wrote:

This is most certainly not true.  Banda Virgo and Gemini are likely those plies (limba-ayous-ayous-ayous-limba) though in different thicknesses.  Virgo is likely the same as Stiga AC.  That is my conjecture and I think I've read that somewhere.
Banda Gemini is identical to Nittaku Wan Liqin-ANV (I read that on a Chinese site and it appears true, as one of Nittaku's less common, "Made in Sweden blades").  I own one. It's one hell of a fast blade. 
The Banda Pegasus, however, is most definitely Limba-Spruce-Ayous. The hash-marked woodgrain is unmistakable.
I stand corrected. Thank you.
I just read in ooakt forum, Banda Gemini is also identical to Stiga Energy Wood.

I do not believe this is accurate.  My friend gave me a cracked Stiga Energy Wood a while back.  It looked different than the Nittaku ANV-WL I own.  If you look at the Stiga Energy Wood pictures below, you'll see a distinctly larger core from the thinner top ply and 2nd "blue-ply".  The pictures further down

are of the Nittaku ANV-Wang Liqin and the Banda Gemini.  The only thing I can see that is different between the two is that the 2nd plies on the Nittaku ANV have a slightly more "yellow-ish" colorization. 

So I tend to believe that these latter two are nearly identical blades, and the Stiga Energy Wood is a distinct blade.

Edited by king_pong - 05/30/2012 at 5:07am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 5:21am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

The OSP Expert is the best of the blades in the class that I've tried, I own a HK, OC CR, Stiga Allround classic and Acoustic.

Speed, Acoustic > Expert > HK > OC CR > AC
Flex, Expert > HK > OC CR > Acoustic > AC

Power (combination of spin and speed) Expert > Acoustic > HK > OC CR > AC

Overall as a blade rating,  Expert > HK > Acoustic > OC CR > AC

i tried expert and it seemed slower than oc cr in all situations. especially in power looping.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 5:43am
Well either your expert is a lot slower than mine, or your oc cr is a lot faster. Plus an expert takes a few months, maybe 6 months to loosen up to it's full flex and power. Mines a fast blade I actually wish it was much slower than it is
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 6:03am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Well either your expert is a lot slower than mine, or your oc cr is a lot faster. Plus an expert takes a few months, maybe 6 months to loosen up to it's full flex and power. Mines a fast blade I actually wish it was much slower than it is

well it's an especially thin ocr, 5.4 mm like the expert. same rubbers on both (xiom vega pro max).
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Jerem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 7:59am
I've got Stiga Alser Allround Wood ('76) which is 5.1mm thick and weight 79g.

Spin from this blade just crushes spin made by Acoustic (same rubbers) : )

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 9:25am

The best part of Stiga Alser is its handle.

Jerem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 9:34am
Hmm.. Anyway it's a little bit short ; / 
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 9:50am
Jerem

I know what you mean.

My 1976 and 1979 Allround Woods also created more spin, than my 2004 Allround Classic does.

In the picture below are three blades; a 1990's Offensive Classic WRB; a Nebula Offensive Wood and an OSP Expert.

Offensive Classic WRB; Nebula Offensive Wood and OSP Expert

Most members will instantly recognise the Offensive Classic WRB and Expert; but not the Nebula Offensive Wood, in the middle.

And that because it's a one off hand built blade by forum member liquidsky.  I noticed on the Nebula blades website that he built blades the traditional way with bone glue and I asked him to make a copy of the Offensive Wood, with Walnut outer plies

The result is a blade with the same great feel as the old Stiga's and it generates heavier spin than my 1990's Offensive Classic WRB can, with the same strokes.

Being 86 grams; it's also 5 grams heavier and the additional weight makes it a faster and more powerful blade too.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

The best part of Stiga Alser is its handle.

+1 million
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic