FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

how do you increase FH power?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2012 at 6:11am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I don't know about other people, but I get the best power when I am relaxed, time the ball perfectly, and get my body to rotate (doesn't need a lot, just a little).  Of course, those things only happen when I am in the right place.  Of the three, the most important is timing.  One thing for sure, is if you are really trying to hit hard, you will probably not relax.    

This nails it for me, unless there is a real problem with technique, which when concerning lack of power on the f/hand often is the result of playing too square to the table.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2012 at 10:54am
The timing and relaxed comment help me understand how one of the "loosest" players at our club delivers some of the fastest drives and spinniest loops from untuned TG3 (on an OFF, not OFF+ blade, no less)...
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 1:32pm

The ability to generate speed and power is an important aspect of the forehand drive and loop.  Frogger and BH-Man have covered the techniques very well.

Thanks Lexsha for the article.  The article reminds us there are many aspects in playing the game.  We have been reminded by coaches that during the game, we should only use about 80 percent of the speed and power to ensure the ball stays on the table.

After reading the article, I noted several key thoughts:

1. Rather than dropping back and play power, come forward into the forehand side to take the ball earlier and use its existing speed.
  2. There is no time to go through the full gamut of preparatory movements to play each shot.
  3. Compete in open situations to be versatile, creative and deceptive in the competitive environment.

In the last few months, my coach has been working on me with blocking the loops and drives and taking the balls earlier.  The results during the games have been quite positive.  After reading this article, I understand and concur with the important aspect of this part of the game.  Not all shots on the forehand side need to be hit with speed and power.  .  The same goes with the backhand.  There is no need for me to attempt to do power RPB loop every time. 

Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Loop40mm Loop40mm wrote:

After reading the article, I noted several key thoughts:

1. Rather than dropping back and play power, come forward into the forehand side to take the ball earlier and use its existing speed.
  2. There is no time to go through the full gamut of preparatory movements to play each shot.
  3. Compete in open situations to be versatile, creative and deceptive in the competitive environment.

Clap

Perfect conclusions!

Back to table tennis...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic