FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

why no interest in Butterfly Spinart?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why no interest in Butterfly Spinart?
    Posted: 06/08/2012 at 11:57pm
Spinart is a great rubber. It plays just like H3 Neo. It even feels similar. I did not need any adjustment at all coming from tuned H3.

Spinart is much faster than all the Tenergy rubbers if you hit moderately hard with it. It is much easier to control and serves better. Why do people say it's slow? It's fast!

Why so much interest in Tenergy and no interest in a rubber that is superior in many aspects?
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
Sponsored Links

Zach Moy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Moy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 12:17am
Dude trust me i come from using H3 and TG3 spin art is not even spiny enough to be in the same category. second of all it is slow... compare it to tenergy the top sheet makes it one of the slowest rubbers with spring sponge technology. i tried spinart on many blades and its just slower than tenergy. i still use tuned TG3 and H3 and there is so much more spin than spin art. in short game spin art cannot compare to chinese rubber in control. spin art just bounces in short game but lacks speed in loops and hits.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 1:19am
I don't understand how you can say Spinart is slow. It is easily faster than T05 at higher gears. It's faster at driving, it's faster at looping. It gets exponentially faster at higher arm speeds. Tenergy is more bouncy/faster at low gears, but I don't see this as a desirable trait.

The spin of Spinart to me seems right up there with T05 and H3. There is more spin than Palio Thor, anyway. Tuned H3 gets more sponge penetration than Spinart, but I think spin is pretty close, otherwise they play very similar.
Nittaku Resound
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 1:24am
Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

I don't understand how you can say Spinart is slow. It is easily faster than T05 at higher gears. It's faster at driving, it's faster at looping. It gets exponentially faster at higher arm speeds.

The spin of Spinart to me seems right up there with T05 and H3. There is more spin than Palio Thor, anyway. Tuned H3 gets more sponge penetration than Spinart, but I think spin is pretty close, otherwise they play very similar.

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
okeimakei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeimakei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 1:33am
I just switched from Spinart to Palio Thor's and believe me, Spinart is slow, hard and fairly uncontrollable if you try swinging hard. In short, it's an expensive and poorly developed idea by Butterfly that did not turn out the way they expected. Tenergy is miles better. 
ZJK ALC- TINARC 3- T64
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 2:07am
uncontrollable? If you can control H3 Neo, Spinart plays more or less the same. Thors produces less spin and it's hard to land faster shots on the table. Thors is only faster on low and medium gears. Spinart is faster if you hit hard enough (probably due to its higher hardness).
Nittaku Resound
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 3:04am

Spinart is a great rubber. It plays just like H3 Neo. It even feels similar. I did not need any adjustment at all coming from tuned H3.
Why bother when Hurricanes and Skylines cost less than 1/3 a spin art?

popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 3:14am
I agree, Spinart is way better than h3 neo commercial. h3 neo com is a piece of crap, unless you boost it up. h3 neo national is where spinart looks less attractive. You think spinart is better than Tenergy 05 and even faster??? I agree control is better, but you are dreaming if you think they are in the same speed category. Spinart may appear to be faster because it gives you more control and feel, which you turn into power. 

Spinart is better than Tenergy 05 for under 2000 loopers
Tenergy 05 is better than Spinart for over 2200 loopers
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 5:38am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I don't understand how you can say Spinart is slow. It is easily faster than T05 at higher gears. It's faster at driving, it's faster at looping. It gets exponentially faster at higher arm speeds.

One picture can paint a thousand words.Smile

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 11:10am
People that might like Spinart would rather pay much less and get H3 Neo.  People who like Tenergy generally do not like any Chinese type rubbers, but if I could use Chinese rubbers I would certainly prefer to pay $25 than $80.  Also, these days quite a few rubbers are faster than Tenergy, and some can be as spinny.  But none of them have the same feel--maybe that will change soon.  Speed was never the selling point of Tenergy.  There is nobody I know who likes the feel and performance of Tenergy that likes Spin Art at all.  I found the stuff unplayable.  It's good that you have found something that works for you, though.  

Somebody commented that Spinart is better than Tenergy 05 for under 2000 loopers and Tenergy 05 is better than Spinart for over 2200 loopers.  IMHO, that's too much of an over-generalization.  Depends very much on a person's stroke even at 1800 level.  Depends even more on skill and specific weaknesses in short game.   

Edited by Baal - 06/09/2012 at 11:14am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 12:20pm
I really like Spinart. I see where the comparisons with H3 come from. The quality control is much better, spin is less on slow brushes. It is very heavy, and very expensive. Hard to convince a H3 user to pay 4 times as much for it. It just won't play 4 times better.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 12:33pm
It's a piece of crap, the most disappointing rubber I've tried...
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

sahiggs100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

+1
Blade: Nexy Lissom
FH: Gambler Outlaw Black
BH: RITC 802 Short Pips Red

Please Don't feed the EJ's!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Somebody commented that Spinart is better than Tenergy 05 for under 2000 loopers and Tenergy 05 is better than Spinart for over 2200 loopers.  IMHO, that's too much of an over-generalization.  Depends very much on a person's stroke even at 1800 level.  Depends even more on skill and specific weaknesses in short game.   

I look at it like this. Loopers under 2000, don't have a complete game yet. Most play "scared" with Tenergy 05. Spinart forces you to use your body correctly and get into the shot, a great instructor. 2200+ is where things look clean and professional and where Tenergy 05 is superior. An 1800 player with good technique might get away with using thin 1.7 Tenergy. But honestly, I haven't seen someone under 2000 that can handle Tenergy 05. For every one thing you can do with Tenergy, there are 3 things that you cannot do. Spinart will help seal up those holes. 
Zach Moy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Moy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by sahiggs100 sahiggs100 wrote:

Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

+1

Smile my exact reaction when i opened it and played it, dead piece of crap that has no spin like tenergy. and btw i swing pretty hard compared to normal ppl, think like 3x as hard when i just flat out hit the ball and i see the ball just drop over...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

I look at it like this. Loopers under 2000, don't have a complete game yet. Most play "scared" with Tenergy 05. Spinart forces you to use your body correctly and get into the shot, a great instructor. 2200+ is where things look clean and professional and where Tenergy 05 is superior. An 1800 player with good technique might get away with using thin 1.7 Tenergy. But honestly, I haven't seen someone under 2000 that can handle Tenergy 05. For every one thing you can do with Tenergy, there are 3 things that you cannot do. Spinart will help seal up those holes. 

By making the game even more demanding, and giving people a rubber even more sensitive to incoming spin, you will make people better?  People who probably lose most of their points in short game?Confused
I would agree with you about people maybe using blades that are too fast hard and stiff but Tenergy is not that uncontrollable.

Edited by Baal - 06/09/2012 at 7:10pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 8:04pm

By making the game even more demanding, and giving people a rubber even more sensitive to incoming spin, you will make people better?  People who probably lose most of their points in short game?Confused

Here's an example for demanding rubbers. You are a 1000 usatt looper. 
Can utilize 25% of Tenergy 05 max = 10 miles an hour ball speed. 10 rotations per second.
Can utilize 50% of Spin Art max = 15 miles an hour ball speed. 15 rotations per second. 
Spin Art wins.

Spin Art is easier for receiving serves and less sensitive to incoming spin compared to 05. Spin Art is slower and has more control, which is what developing players need. Developing players can suffer from the "Tenergy cripple effect". Tenergy can cause lots of damage to a developing player's game and technique. The sooner you give it up, the better off you will be. 
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 9:23pm

Spinart is much faster than all the Tenergy rubbers if you hit moderately hard with it. It is much easier to control and serves better. Why do people say it's slow? It's fast!

Why so much interest in Tenergy and no interest in a rubber that is superior in many aspects?

Just marketing, if no pro male uses it nobody will buy it..remember how un popular was pg7 before used by ma long
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 9:26pm
The general consensus appears to be that there are enough rubbers that can do similar job as Spinart but at a fraction of the cost. I know plenty of people playing with Tenergy. I dont know anyone who tried Spinart. If it were endorsed by a pro as Tenergy is then may have been more popular

Edited by riker71 - 06/09/2012 at 9:29pm
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 10:31pm

Can utilize 25% of Tenergy 05 max = 10 miles an hour ball speed. 10 rotations per second.
Can utilize 50% of Spin Art max = 15 miles an hour ball speed. 15 rotations per second. 
Spin Art wins.

Spin Art is easier for receiving serves and less sensitive to incoming spin compared to 05. Spin Art is slower and has more control, which is what developing players need. Developing players can suffer from the "Tenergy cripple effect". Tenergy can cause lots of damage to a developing player's game and technique. The sooner you give it up, the better off you will be. 

Well if you simply aribitrarily choose the numbers to support the argument you want to make, they will end up doing that.  It is proof by assumption.  But there is simply no basis in fact for any of the numbers you put in your last comment.    Is Spinart easier for returning serves?  Less sensitive to incoming spin?  A tacky rubber? Really?  I am pretty skeptical about that!  Actually, I don't think 1000 players should be using either of these rubbers (or stiff composite blades).  Also, it's pretty hard to describe anyone at that level as a "looper".  But you were saying no spin oriented player under 2200 should be using Tenergy, they should be using Spinart instead.  That just doesn't seem to be a statement that could ever be justified, and if people's choices in the market place are any indication, not many people like this stuff. 
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 11:06pm
Spinart - Slow, sticky, heavy, not worth the USD at all.  Marketing scam.

T05 is the best!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 12:46am

Spin Art wins.

Well if you simply aribitrarily choose the numbers to support the argument you want to make, they will end up doing that.  It is proof by assumption.  But there is simply no basis in fact for any of the numbers you put in your last comment.    Is Spinart easier for returning serves?  Less sensitive to incoming spin?  A tacky rubber? Really?  I am pretty skeptical about that!  Actually, I don't think 1000 players should be using either of these rubbers (or stiff composite blades).  Also, it's pretty hard to describe anyone at that level as a "looper".  But you were saying no spin oriented player under 2200 should be using Tenergy, they should be using Spinart instead.  That just doesn't seem to be a statement that could ever be justified, and if people's choices in the market place are any indication, not many people like this stuff. 
The "Tenergy cripple effect." Makes technique poor and unorthodox. Once you use it, you can't stop, because you're used to the unorthodox/easy shots that Tenergy allows. Tenergy is like crack. You buy it and use, but it doesn't mean it's good for you. If you go back and read my post. I specifically said under 2000 spin art is superior to Tenergy, not 2200. 2000-2200 is a grey line. 2200+ have the technique and control to utilize enough of Tenergy 05's potential to make it beneficial.  
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 1:02am
SpinArt has several problems. First is durability... the topsheet does not last long at all. The second for me is it has to be tuned to be usable. Tuner softens up the sponge and it plays very nice after that. I almost think bty made it keeping in mind top players are still tuning. If I could afford it I would use it more often...
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 2:55pm
X rubber is good for <2000
Y rubber is good for >2000
--
This type of statement drives me crazy. Usually the problem with players under 2000 is not that their stroke is not developed enough, although I'm sure that continues to improve at the higher levels. Their problem is consistency, and ability to get a good stroke on a variety of different balls -- different speeds, locations, spins. Playing with a less demanding rubber is not going to help a player become more consistent if they are trying to become better loopers.

Anyone over 1000 should feel free to play with any type of rubber and not worry about how it will impact their loops -- better spin and speed will only help. (I suppose too much speed could hurt a player learning how to loop, but a better fix for that is a slower blade) Where it's going to possibly hurt them is on control shots and pushes, but if their goal is to hit less control shots and more loops, this may not be a big issue.
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by chopchopslam chopchopslam wrote:

X rubber is good for <2000
Y rubber is good for >2000
--
This type of statement drives me crazy. Usually the problem with players under 2000 is not that their stroke is not developed enough, although I'm sure that continues to improve at the higher levels. Their problem is consistency, and ability to get a good stroke on a variety of different balls -- different speeds, locations, spins. Playing with a less demanding rubber is not going to help a player become more consistent if they are trying to become better loopers.

Anyone over 1000 should feel free to play with any type of rubber and not worry about how it will impact their loops -- better spin and speed will only help. (I suppose too much speed could hurt a player learning how to loop, but a better fix for that is a slower blade) Where it's going to possibly hurt them is on control shots and pushes, but if their goal is to hit less control shots and more loops, this may not be a big issue.
You are forgetting about the "scared" factor. Tenergy is almost impossible to learn with because it's so fast and spinny.  How can one become more consistent when they are too scared to swing? For people under 2000 playing with Tenergy. Record yourself playing a match. You will be surprised, by how stiff, restricted, scared, and inconsistent you are. A developed stroke=consistency on all balls. Don't make excuses. Anyone can swing in front of a mirror, doing it in a match is a different story. I really don't agree with you on "better spin and speed will only help." It's like telling someone to bench 500lbs, before they can even do 50lbs. Better spin and speed, might help a few garage players, but not in the club. 
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 8:00pm
Getting off topic in this thread?

I just tried spinart for 3 weeks of light use, here are my impressions.  It's a great rubber - you have to come from using chinese tacky rubbers to like this one, tenergy users I suppose won't find it that interesting?

Compared to h3 neo provincial:

pros:

* definitely faster through the range of shots - more explosive power
* more dangerous opening loops - opening shots have more penetration and speed
* more active when used for blocking, blocks really nicely.
* doesn't just unexpectedly become crap due to the tuning effect or whatever running out, like with h3 neo Thumbs Down seriously, WTF DHS?
* serves are magnificent with this rubber.  best service rubber I've tried, tin arc being second.  h3 is fine for service but these topsheets have more pop and bite.
* if you can get enough leverage to attack a short ball you get a very strong attack.  You can kill short slightly high balls with this rubber.  tenergy seems to be similar (never used, but people do this to me)  DHS is too sensitive for this.

sames:

* good lower gears.  less committed shots are rarely out
* committed shots are really, really spinny
* heavier weight

worse:

* a bit more sensitive in short play - seems to have a worse short game, but maybe I'm not as used to it.  Drops are harder to perform, pushes are more dangerous but harder to keep short.  Generally feels better to play long and spinny with this rubber.
* more sensitive when opening against half long balls - I net more balls when playing this bread-and-butter shot.  Sometimes I can't lift heavy underspin whereas with h3 its "effortless".  medium openings are hard, with this rubber I have to open committed and hard, no babying the ball like with h3, but I get a better quality ball as a result.
* going long a LOT more on my forehand.  the downside of the added power, and its major.  I keep going long and it sucks.  H3 neo is "can't miss" not so with spin art
* cost - its expensive.

Edited by chronos - 06/10/2012 at 10:47pm
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 8:04pm
Oh last but not least, its heavier than h3 neo, its a pretty heavy rubber.

The "going long" piece and high weight is the big bummer to this rubber.  You can see a lot of high level japanese players who used to use h3 using this rubber.

DHS *should* take the h3 provincial topsheet, and put it on the tin arc sponge, maybe bump the hardness up by a degree or two, and create the PERFECT rubber for h3 fans.

Spinart is a great solution for high level players used to glued or tuned h3, but its quite a bit faster and less forgiving.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 8:09pm
Very very different from tenergy - just a completely different rubber to me.  If you like tenergy, spinart is probably going to feel like crap - if you like h3, you *might* like it but there are a lot of caveats :/ a lot of tenergy fans try spinart and get disappointed, naturally, but I think it is partially a problem of the wrong expectations.

My next test is the new whale II red sponge, which has a thicker, harder topsheet and is more like the old whale topsheet.  I was using spin art on CL Cr, too fast even though h3np is very easy to control on that blade.  I'll put whale II red sponge on tube carbo.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 8:15pm
To be fair though, you are comparing it to H3 Neo (commercial I assume). Everyone pretty much unanimously agrees that H3 neo commercial, especially untuned, sucks.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 8:29pm
Ahh sorry GS, I use h3 neo *provincial* exclusively, I only had one h3n commercial ever, and it felt different.  However my long lost training partner and friend who quit the sport used h3np for a while, then switched to commercial and claimed that commercial was the same if you broke it in enough (he trained a good 20 hours a week so he wore out rubbers fast)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic