Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Using water based glues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using water based glues
    Posted: 07/06/2012 at 5:26pm
Hi,

Has anyone used Elmer's All Purpose Glue or Elmer's School glue for gluing the rubber sheet to the blade. Does the blade needs to be sealed for this. Please reply if you have any experience with this or similar glues.
Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by myali myali wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone used Elmer's All Purpose Glue or Elmer's School glue for gluing the rubber sheet to the blade. Does the blade needs to be sealed for this. Please reply if you have any experience with this or similar glues.

hello, welcome to the forum. thanks for putting this in the "equipment" section so icontek doesn't groan.

the question has been discussed though.. pretty much every gluing/tuning/boosting question has been

for a good cheap water based glue, I'd recommend Tearmender. You can get a large bottle for around ten bucks on ebay.

and absolutely I think you should seal your blade before using any wbg

... unless you want to pull splinters out of the top ply's

Edited by the_theologian - 07/06/2012 at 6:59pm
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
myali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 11:27am
their are two types of tear mender. One is Val-A and other is Bish's which one are you suggesting
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 11:52am
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 12:03pm

their are two types of tear mender. One is Val-A and other is Bish's which one are you suggesting

There is only one Tear Mender.  What you are seeing is the old label (one with blue) and the new looking label with the founders face on it (Bish). 

If you buy the old label bottle...its going to be bad because the new label one has been in production well over a year now.  Tear Mender can go bad like most other water based laytex glues.  You want the freshest bottle you can find.  This is why I will not buy online anymore.  I have several stores in my local area that sell them, and I shake the bottle before buying.  You should hear it swish around like loose milk, if it makes little to no noise when shaking...its congealing and going bad. 

Good luck to those outside US whey purchasing online. 

myali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 12:12pm
Thanks guys. I got a bottle with the new packing (Bish's face) yesterday from Ace Hardware. Just wanted to double check. 
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 11:28pm
You made a great choice.

After initial struggles with 3 or four TT branded Water Based Glues I switched up using Rubber Cement for a long time before finding a few different Water Based Glues that I thought were good.

Tearmender is better than many of the commercially available TT glues.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 11:56pm
The problem with rubber cement is that it expands some rubbers.  If you remove them they appear to shrink.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2012 at 12:09am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

The problem with rubber cement is that it expands some rubbers.  If you remove them they appear to shrink.

yeah but you could let them sit overnight before attaching them and eliminate that problem
IllSonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IllSonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2012 at 1:27am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Hi,

for a good cheap water based glue, I'd recommend Tearmender. You can get a large bottle for around ten bucks on ebay.

and absolutely I think you should seal your blade before using any wbg

... unless you want to pull splinters out of the top ply's

Aw S***!!! :((( LOL Dont let the excitement take over you and glue your rubber on with no seal... :)

Edited by IllSonny - 07/09/2012 at 1:29am
Stiga Infinity VPS Legend
H3
Galaxy Moon
myali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2012 at 11:26am
For sealing the blade do you have to use a water based laquer. I was thinking to use Minwax Polyurethane for sealing the blade. Do you guys use something else or recommend that
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2012 at 12:08pm
Minwax wipe on poly works great
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2012 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Minwax wipe on poly works great

yep, that's what i use, the satin version

i wipe it on heavy, leave it for just a bit, then wipe it off with a seperate cloth, then leave it for at least a few hours
myali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2012 at 1:24pm
Thanks guys..I believe one coat of polyurethane should be enough or do i need to use more. As far as legal issues are concerned do you think tear-mender will pass as legal glue
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2012 at 1:27pm

Thanks guys..I believe one coat of polyurethane should be enough or do i need to use more. As far as legal issues are concerned do you think tear-mender will pass as legal glue

1 coat of poly is probably sufficient. Occassionally I'll do two. I always do two on the edge

i've read that all wbg's contain a trace amount of voc's but whatever, I think it will be fine. someone will chime in who's more knowledgeable on that
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2012 at 10:54am
By the time your glue dries on the blade or sponge.....say 15-20 mins, the VOC's have escaped to a large degree.  The amount of any VOC's  maybe from ammonia(?) 

I have never ever heard of any water based glues coming close to 3ppm levels even when wet. You should not have one worry about using water based glues as far as passing any sniffer tests.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic