Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the most versatile rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Krusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2012 at 4:35pm

Sponsored Links

Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2012 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

I would say, Yinhe Mercury 2 @ 36 d., 1.7 mm - it can do anything on any blade, a truly universal rubber. And dirty cheap...

I definitely have to try this Mercury 2, next on my wish list!  I use Yinhe Moon myself, this is my version of a "poor man's Tenergy", I  think it is the coolest Chinese rubber ever.

I agree with most who posted Mark V, I still think that Mark V is the most versatile, true for beginners to intermediate players.
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2012 at 10:29pm

Sure MercuryII (black 37/red 35 i have tried) is on the top of this list considering money. Palio CJ8000 (42-44) also deserves a place here, though it lacks speed, it gains in spin and control.

If they start charging 20 $ a sheet and promote them properly, they'll get the attention they deserve.

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2012 at 10:30pm
back in school i used to use Mendo MP FH and Neos tacky BH for chopping(lots of chopping close to the table) it also worked well offensively
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2012 at 4:54am
The most versatile rubber is the same as the fastest and spinniest rubber. The problem is, can you handle it? To me, T05 is by far the most versatile rubber I have used.

If you want a slower, less spinny rubber, with tons of control, then I suggest you try out Gambler Reflectoid. Very fun to play with and extremely easy to control.
The holy grail
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2012 at 4:06pm
mark V is most versatile rubber.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 6:06am
ofcourse you have rubbers like sriver and mark v they can do it all. If you want to be versatile I sugges that you train your range of strokes. That way you can play versatile with almost every rubber.
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 6:18am
for me :
Yasaka Xtend HS
Joola Express one
Can do all well with tones of control. Adapt easily to all kind of blades. Medium to low throw angle. Not very sensitive to incomming spin while putting decent amount of spin when looping. Not mushy not too hard.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 10:03am
The most versatile rubber should allow every stroke pretty well, including chopping. I can’t chop with Express One well.

I would affirm: Mark V, Sriver L, Tenergy 05. But I prefer Tenergy 25 as even more versatile.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 11:37am
Sriver EL is more versatile.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Sriver EL is more versatile.

+2, Sriver EL is a very neutral rubber, does all strokes well...nothing special. To bland for my game. A 1800 level player at my club uses Sriver EL on a BTY Arlyate blade and gets plenty of zip on his shots.

Edited by frogger - 08/14/2012 at 11:49am
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by asmagus asmagus wrote:

What is the most versatile rubber? Not the best to looping or back spinning, or blocking, or general the best in defence or atack ... but just good in all kind of play.

Is there something more versalite/universal than Yasaka Mark V (normal/HPS/HPS Soft)?

Another words: what is the best allround rubber, good for cut defence, good for looping, good for smash, with good spin, good for play from 2 zone and so on?

Requoting OP in bold to emphasize something.

Assuming Cut Defense means Chop against Topspin, and not "push against underspin" I would argue that many of Tensor and Tenergy rubbers mentioned in this thread are simply not that good for "Cut Defense".

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
raflispet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raflispet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 3:06pm
my 2 cents. Mark V. Easy to loop, block, smash, without compromising short game and service return as much as the pre-tuned rubbers. 
And it plays very nicely tuned too. 
Blade and rubber thickness are also more variables to consider.

Edited by raflispet - 08/14/2012 at 3:25pm
Stiga Kjell Johansson Clipper (conic handle)
FH: Mark V mx
BH: Mark V mx
asmagus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asmagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2012 at 3:17am
Mark V reglued on my blade.

Quick question, how do You glue Mark V on water based glues?
How many layers of glue on clean sponge? Two on sponge, one on the blade, when regluing (after removing old glue) and three on sponge, one on the blade during the first gluing?

Any other tricks?
1. Donic Waldner Dotec Carbon OFF + BH & FH: Yasaka Mark V max
2. Donic Wang Xi Dotec Control Plus + BH & FH: Donic Bluefire M3 2.0
deadpixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadpixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 1:27am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Mark V Series, Sriver Series, Stiga Mendo Series......good allround workhorses in the rubber world.

I'm using the Yasaka Mark V (Max) its definitely a good versatile rubber..
redbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 1:45am
Tibhar Rapid DTecs
VladiTT View Drop Down
Post #57918

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladiTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 2:24am
i used to play with sriver el,now i go to mark V

both are excellent
however topsheet of mark V last longer and keep perfomance better
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 3:25am
I feel it's a bit strange telling people that Tenergy 05 is the most versatile rubber there is
 from what people say in general is don't use this rubber until your ability is higher

also going thinner and slower rubbers will add versatility
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
DHSHurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 3:37am
If you want to go Chinese try Hurricane 3 provincial. It has the most loops (see tabletennisdb.com)
you can do everything with it from every angle. Chopping is easy and if you have a chinese forehand you can develop one hell of a forehand.

otherwise I advice: stay with the regular Mark V
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 4:01am
Hurricane 3 Provincial BS, 1.8 would be ideal. Add some more tack to Mars 2 @ 35 d, 1.7 mm and you will have the EJ panacea. Smile
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 5:19am
1. Tenergy 05 
2. Tenergy 64
3. Hurricane III NEO (only f/h)
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
DHSHurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 6:01am
please don't say Tenergy.

Tenergy is a very fast rubber, you can't chop with (in contrast with fast DHS rubbers) it has a tensor, and they are spinny. Sriver is far more Versatile. where have we gone to think that tenergy is a normal rubber instead of a amazing fast canon rubber!

Tenergy is good stuff  but far from the most versatiles away!
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 10:57am
Originally posted by DHSHurricane DHSHurricane wrote:

please don't say Tenergy.
Tenergy is a very fast rubber, you can't chop with (in contrast with fast DHS rubbers) it has a tensor, and they are spinny. Sriver is far more Versatile. where have we gone to think that tenergy is a normal rubber instead of a amazing fast canon rubber!
Tenergy is good stuff  but far from the most versatiles away!

First, you can chop with Tenergy, I do it, or, used to do it when I used T05. gave it up due to the price, others then that, I was perfectly happy with the rubber.
Second, Tenergy don't have a Tensor sponge. I think BTY calls it powersponge, or something like that, and the sponge on Tenergy is very different from the sponges on any of the Tensors I have used.

So let's get a couple of things straight here, if you by versatile mean a rubber that is capable of doing everything, then Tenergy is by far the most versatile rubber there is, as it can outspin pretty much every other rubber there is, while giving good speed. Now, the problem is if you can't handle it, but that don't make the rubber less versatile, it says more about your ability. I agree that Tenergy might not be the best option for beginners, but again, that's got nothing to do with the rubbers versatility.

If you by versatile rubber mean a rubber that is easy to control, then I agree that Tenergy might not be the best option. Gambler Reflectoid is extremely easy to control, in every aspect of the game, but don't expect heaps of speed or spin.
The holy grail
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 12:17pm
If I had to chose then I would probably choose Mark V.  Reflectoid is good for learning and those with a blocking and chopping style.   My practice partner can generate excellent loops and chops well with it too.

I am sure the same can be said for T05.  I have a TBS+2xT05 but outside of a chop block or two I simply can't imagine anyone using T05.  If the incoming spin varies a lot then one is hard pressed to open the paddle just right to make a good chop.  

I think there have been a lot of good suggestions for different reason but I don't think in terms find the most versatile rubber.  I want two very different rubbers where each excels at doing a particular thing and then learning how to take advantage of a rubbers relative strength.  This is why I rejected medium pips.   One may say medium pips is more versatile than SP and LP but it does fill the role of either very well.   

cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 12:28pm
the best chopper in the world uses Tenergy on his forehand
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

the best chopper in the world uses Tenergy on his forehand

Panagiotis Gionis ?

InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 12:43pm

Any intermediate player can learn to use Tenergy, but alot of practice is needed to master it. Most rubbers can be versitile if the player unlocks the secret to use it. I can use Tenergy but find other rubbers more suitable for my game. Service return is difficult using Tenergy...not the rubbers fault...just me. Rubbers that are more forgiving yet still provide good speed and spin are best for the majority of average club players. I like rubbers like Sriver, Mark V, Extend, Boost TS, Bryce...better for us non-pro's. LOL

Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 12:54pm

-The best JPEN player uses T05 (Ryu),
-Almost all chinese team use T05 on BH 
-The best non Chinese players use Tenergy 05 or 64 both sides (Timo, Dima, Oh, Mizutani..)
-The best defender uses T64 (Joo). 

So, Tenergy is the most versatile rubber for professional use.

For amateur and club players is a hole different story..

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 1:26pm
Xiom Omega 4 asia??? ive only tried the rubber but it feels like more dynamic/lively version of mendo and sriver
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/20/2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by decoi decoi wrote:

Xiom Omega 4 asia??? ive only tried the rubber but it feels like more dynamic/lively version of mendo and sriver

Xiom rubbers are the most versatile, that's why all pro's use Xiom, and not Tenergy.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic