Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the most versatile rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
asmagus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asmagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the most versatile rubber?
    Posted: 08/08/2012 at 10:20am
What is the most versatile rubber? Not the best to looping or back spinning, or blocking, or general the best in defence or atack ... but just good in all kind of play.

Is there something more versalite/universal than Yasaka Mark V (normal/HPS/HPS Soft)?

Another words: what is the best allround rubber, good for cut defence, good for looping, good for smash, with good spin, good for play from 2 zone and so on?
1. Donic Waldner Dotec Carbon OFF + BH & FH: Yasaka Mark V max
2. Donic Wang Xi Dotec Control Plus + BH & FH: Donic Bluefire M3 2.0
Sponsored Links

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 10:39am
Stiga Mendo Mp? Focus 3 Snipe?
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 11:10am
The answer is very easy for me:

Andro Hexer Duro 1,9
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 11:47am
 Mark V Series, Sriver Series, Stiga Mendo Series......good allround workhorses in the rubber world.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 11:59am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Mark V Series, Sriver Series, Stiga Mendo Series......good allround workhorses in the rubber world.

Yes.
Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 1:02pm
I'll throw in a vote for Tenergy 05 - very good for both short game (control) and attacking shot.
Arguably, the only 'shortcoming' of Tenergy 05 is its comparably steep price-point.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

I'll throw in a vote for Tenergy 05 - very good for both short game (control) and attacking shot.
Arguably, the only 'shortcoming' of Tenergy 05 is its comparably steep price-point.

Play someone with very spinny / deceptive serves & / or strong spinny loops and you'll very soon discover at least two other shortcomings Wink

Before a match, I check the opponent's bat. If he has a (in decent shape) T05 on either FH or BH, it affects my service strategy!

Edited by slevin - 08/08/2012 at 1:26pm
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 1:42pm
Joola Phenix is pretty versatile I think.  Med hard, hit/loop/blocks are all good for me.  I've trying to do the ZJK-like short back-hand loop, it works great.Wink
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Play someone with very spinny / deceptive serves & / or strong spinny loops and you'll very soon discover at least two other shortcomings Wink

Before a match, I check the opponent's bat. If he has a (in decent shape) T05 on either FH or BH, it affects my service strategy!

I believe I have played several people with good spinny serves and loops (in the US rating range of 2300-2500), but I'm not sure I've stumbled upon the 'shortcomings' you're hinting at. Confused
Care to enlighten me?

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 2:29pm

I believe I have played several people with good spinny serves and loops (in the US rating range of 2300-2500), but I'm not sure I've stumbled upon the 'shortcomings' you're hinting at. Confused
Care to enlighten me?

If you don't find T05 more difficult to block with (especially against someone deceptively varying the amount of imparted topspin) and receive serves with than most other rubbers (like the Acudas, Rakzas and Xiom Vega series to name a few), then you, sir are a better man.

cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 2:57pm
T05 is the most versatile rubber I've used as far as attacking players go.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 4:16pm

Care to enlighten me?

If you don't find T05 more difficult to block with (especially against someone deceptively varying the amount of imparted topspin) and receive serves with than most other rubbers (like the Acudas, Rakzas and Xiom Vega series to name a few), then you, sir are a better man.

LOL - I really don't feel like I've had any weird issues in those areas. But that said, chances are you're probably right because I'm horrible at 'reviewing' equipment in a general sense. I'm really bad at comparing - I tend to just adapt to whatever I'm playing with. Smile

DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 4:19pm
Firstly, you need to narrow your question down because a versatile rubber for a 2500 and a 1200 is completely different for obvious reasons. However, seeing as a majority of the players on this forum are sub 1500....BEGIN RANT!

I love how people don't even read the question and post "OH YEA TO5 THAT'S THE MOST VERSATILE RUBBER!" I mean come on guys, t05 is not versatile at all, it's highly reactive to spin which makes it not exactly good for smashing or blocking, or returning serve. It's too fast to chop with so defensive play is out too. It is much faster than a large majority of rubbers over the table (also due to it's reactivity to spin), so please for the love of all that is good in this world, don't respond with dumb answers. 

I want to say chinese rubbers because they are relatively easy to maneuver on most shots but looping can be more difficult than a euro rubber. I am going to have to go with mark v on this one.

Edited by DeIgado - 08/08/2012 at 4:23pm
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 4:21pm
Blocking with T05 is a bit different because you want to close down your racket more and push forward a bit. But it makes everything so easy. You can just power loop everything but short spinny pushes.
Nittaku Resound
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by DeIgado DeIgado wrote:

...come on guys, t05 is not versatile at all... so please for the love of all that is good in this world, don't respond with dumb answers. 

Sorry, D... Cry

I did however say above that I'm horrible at reviewing equipment (which is why I typically stay away from those types of threads).

asmagus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asmagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 5:14pm

Firstly, you need to narrow your question down because a versatile rubber for a 2500 and a 1200 is completely different for obvious reasons. However, seeing as a majority of the players on this forum are sub 1500....BEGIN RANT!

I love how people don't even read the question and post "OH YEA TO5 THAT'S THE MOST VERSATILE RUBBER!" I mean come on guys, t05 is not versatile at all, it's highly reactive to spin which makes it not exactly good for smashing or blocking, or returning serve. It's too fast to chop with so defensive play is out too. It is much faster than a large majority of rubbers over the table (also due to it's reactivity to spin), so please for the love of all that is good in this world, don't respond with dumb answers. 

I want to say chinese rubbers because they are relatively easy to maneuver on most shots but looping can be more difficult than a euro rubber. I am going to have to go with mark v on this one.

Thank You for answer!

I have had Tenergys 05 on all and off blades, I'm amateur which play occasionally with the pros, and for me defensive play with tenergy was nightmare.

I play far from the table, allround game and some looping, in the 1 zone only after service.

You said that "I am going to have to go with mark v on this one."

Which one on allroudn blade? Normal? HPS? HPS Soft?
Normal, old famous Mark V, does not have "speed glue" technology - is it still suitable to play against tenergys, hexers and so one?

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 8:27pm
Killerspin Fortissimo is the most under rated rubber in this category.

Japanese for a classic feel, does everything reasonable well but speed and spin stack up well against tensors.

The only stroke I did not try was chipping, sorry.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by asmagus asmagus wrote:

Thank You for answer!

I have had Tenergys 05 on all and off blades, I'm amateur which play occasionally with the pros, and for me defensive play with tenergy was nightmare.

I play far from the table, allround game and some looping, in the 1 zone only after service.

You said that "I am going to have to go with mark v on this one."

Which one on allroudn blade? Normal? HPS? HPS Soft?
Normal, old famous Mark V, does not have "speed glue" technology - is it still suitable to play against tenergys, hexers and so one?

Well, you need to understand that you can do just about anything with any rubber if you really try. Hell, JSH uses t64 which is quite fast, to chop on his fh side. 

It really all comes down to skill level honestly, a rubber's versatility has nothing to do with your ability to use a rubber. If you think t05 is too difficult to use, switch to skyline3, mark v, rakza 7, hurricane, hexer..... you have options. Consider that t05 is one of  the hardest rubber to use for amateurs so if you feel like that is too difficult you have a lot of options and you won't really go wrong with anything. You can also switch down to 1.9 sponge instead of 2.1.
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 9:38pm

Well, you need to understand that you can do just about anything with any rubber if you really try. Hell, JSH uses t64 which is quite fast, to chop on his fh side. 

It really all comes down to skill level honestly, a rubber's versatility has nothing to do with your ability to use a rubber. If you think t05 is too difficult to use, switch to skyline3, mark v, rakza 7, hurricane, hexer..... you have options. Consider that t05 is one of  the hardest rubber to use for amateurs so if you feel like that is too difficult you have a lot of options and you won't really go wrong with anything. You can also switch down to 1.9 sponge instead of 2.1.

Well said!
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 9:56pm
i find Andro Hexer and T64 are versatile rubbers. they can do anything. Tenergy is good not just for looping, you can do anything any other inverted rubber can do. 
RSM Special Platinum T64
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 10:56pm

this is good advice, i will have to try this!
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 10:58pm
i really like Yinhe Mercury 2 for the most forgiving on almost all strokes, also very cheap!

Edited by berkeleydoctor - 08/09/2012 at 11:04pm
jatienza930 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jatienza930 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by asmagus asmagus wrote:

What is the most versatile rubber? Not the best to looping or back spinning, or blocking, or general the best in defence or atack ... but just good in all kind of play.

Is there something more versalite/universal than Yasaka Mark V (normal/HPS/HPS Soft)?

Another words: what is the best allround rubber, good for cut defence, good for looping, good for smash, with good spin, good for play from 2 zone and so on?

Adidas P5 Tongue
BTY TBS FL
T05
T64

My Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56638&KW=jen&title=jatienza930-buy-sell-feedback
chameleon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chameleon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2012 at 11:28pm
for me:

Joola Rhyzm
Stiga Mendo
Donic Baracuda
Ma Lin Carbon ST
FH: Acuda S3 max
BH: Joola Turbo 2.0
STIGA Offensive Classic
FH: Acuda S2 max
BH: 802-40 max
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2012 at 1:42am

I would say, Yinhe Mercury 2 @ 36 d., 1.7 mm - it can do anything on any blade, a truly universal rubber. And dirty cheap...

GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2012 at 1:42am
Funny how all these responses are Tensors (or similar). Easiest all round rubber I have every used is H3. I can do anything I want with this rubber from chopping to spinny loops. I wouldn't say its the fastest or spinniest rubber I have ever used but it is certainly decent in these areas.

For a lesser level of performance the Andro Backside rubbers are quite easy to use too.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
asmagus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asmagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2012 at 3:47am
Thank You guys.

I asked before about  build in "speed glue" (tensors etc) - for ex Mark V, does not have "speed glue" technology, I understood that it is still suitable to play against "tensors" because skill, not rubber, decides who will win ;)

But, more versatile with ALL blad will be old Mark V or Mark V HPS/HPS Soft, none of them are tensor but Hybrid Power Sponge is "new formula for the sponge combined with the top sheet of MARK V".

I have Mark V HPS Soft but i have never used normal Mark V or any other evolution of Mark V.

Edited by asmagus - 08/09/2012 at 4:00am
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2012 at 3:51am
Mark V HPS Soft uses a 1st gen tensor sponge with Mark V topsheet. It is much more bouncy than Mark V.
Nittaku Resound
renzkie08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renzkie08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2012 at 8:57pm
mark v for me...im a beginner and it helps me to improve may stroke coz of its control...
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2012 at 10:38pm
EKRIPS 1.7 mm by Butterfly.
Great for all-kind strokes plus excellent control and ball feeling. Unfortunately, it seems to be now unavailable from any shops outside of Japan.
-----------
Actually, ANY OF RUBBERS with a complete range of sponge thickness (1.2 / 1.5 / 1.7 / 2.0 .max) you can now find on the market is designated for "allround play". Each such rubber will make you a versatile player when you pick up sponge in the mid range.

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic