Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tibhar Stratus Blade Series Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibhar Stratus Blade Series Review
    Posted: 09/01/2012 at 8:51am

Been some time since my last review. Got the items Tibhar sent me and I have chosen this blade series plus the Samsonov force pro to review. 

Stratus Samsonov Carbon

Handle: Flared
Weight: 87 grams
Thickness: 5.5-5.6mm
Blade Head Dimension: 151x156mm
Plies: 7 ( limba outer plies with carbon kevlar 3rd inner plies)
Speed: Off to Off+

The SSC (samsonov stratus carbon its a bit long for a name i have to shorten it hehe) is a high quality carbon arylate blade from Tibhar. It was released some time ago but I was curious on how this blade performs sp I asked Tibhar to send me this. Basing on the pics I saw in our forums, this was used by Samsonov himself before he transferred to the Force Pro Blade.

it looks like the SSC blade has outer limba plies + ayous followed by a 3rd carbon kevlar layer. I need to confirm this with Tibhar first. i was surpised when i saw this. Basically, it has the same construction with the Stratus Powerwood but was added with 2 carbon arylate layers.

I slapped a Tibhar Grip-S Europe red max and a Grip-S Europe Soft. I also used a Tibhar 5Q which is my favorite Tibhar rubber for the purpose of using a very fast euro rubber. The SSC was fairly fast when i used the grip-s europe  on my forehand. it was sure spinny though same thing with the europe soft but with lesser speed. The set-up really came alive when i placed my black 5Q on it. It was fast in a way that it was faster than the TBS or ALC by a notch or two. The feel wasn't super stiff which I like. Tibhar says its off+ but when I loop with it, it felt like it was an easy controllable off blade but when i smash or counter with it it felt like an off+ blade. Its good for looping and countering up to mid distance from the table. Near to the table, its very controllable and your shots will have great accuracy. 

Overall, a good looking, high quality blade with great performance in terms of speed and control. The carbon kevlar layer added stability and control in blocking while the limba layers added good feel when hitting the ball. The price even is a very affordable that other carbon arylate blades. 

Tibhar Stratus Powerdefense

Handle: Straight
Weight: 85 grams
Thickness: 5.3-5.4mm
Blade Head Dimension: 155 x159mm
Plies: 5 
Speed: All+

The only defensive blade in the series but nevertheless still not a slow blade. I gave it to a 2300+ rating equivalent chopper friend of mine and we both tested it.  We used a 5Q, Adidas P7 and a TSP curl P-1 long pips for the set up.
I can only chop 2-3x in a row because im not a chopper using long pips but i can play long pips hitter style in my backhand. My first impression on the blade is that its comfortable to the hand with its straight handle. The powerdefense's handle length is shorter than its predecessor, CO-S-3. Nevertheless, its still a good defensive blade. It was easy to use the long pips hitter's style. Flicks and drives using the long pips were easy to do in a way that you accuracy is good and the ball clears the net fairly. The one thing that surprised me was its speed. Coupled with the 5Q or P7 on the forehand it was a very fast blade for an ALL+ blade. It behaved like an off blade when attacking with loops or drives. Both me and my friend agreed also that this is much easier to use than his Butterfly Joo See Yuk blade. He had an injury using the latter and was looking for a replacement and I gave the powerdefense to him. The powerdefense has a softer feel than the JSY blade. my chopper friend was happy with it because he can attack better due to the lesser weight. I have tried his JSY blade a lot of times and it felt as if you have 2 max rubbers on both sides in terms of weight. 
Overall a very affordable defensive blade that gives you qualities found in more expensive blades. Our both concern was that it had a shorter handle but its only a minor thing.

Tibhar Stratus Power wood

Handle: flared
Weight: 85 grams
Thickness: 6 mm
Blade Head Dimension: 151 x157mm
Plies: 5 (limba outer plies, ayous inner plies)
Speed: Off- to Off

I have heard a lot of good reviews on this blade and so being a Tibhar product reviewer I had to get my hands on one of this. A lot of limba-ayous construction type blades have been produced because of the design that enables the user to have enough speed coupled with good control and feel. In terms of reference I have to compare this to a Peter Korbel blade with some improvements. Again, I used a Tibhar 5Q on the forehand and Grip-S Euope on the backhand for this test. 

My first impression doing forehand to forehand drills and looping with a closed angle was a definite WOW! It felt very fast like an Off blade. It has the feel of an offensive classic blade from stiga but lacks the vibration, the balance of a Peter Korbel Blade but faster and gives stronger shots. For 40 euro blade, its performance can be worth like those more expensive high end all wood blades from other brands. This is both a looping and hitting blade. On loops, it gives you a wonderful feel and control to produce those spinny loops. On hitting and countering, this blade is very controllable near the table. 

This blade was designed near the table especially for loopers. Mid-distance wise you can feel a reduction of speed. Faster rubbers like the 1Q or 1Qxd should be used. The 5Q being a medium rubber IMO was tailor-made for this blade. The Grip-S europe being a chinese rubber excels in slow spinny loops or if you wanted a more controlled set up when using the powerwood. I bet the neo H3 would also be good in this set up plus a 5Q or 1Q on the backhand. This blade has a high throw.

Im loving this blade. The sigma Sensitec was good and was faster than the powerwood but this has more feel. The powerwood is faster than the xeon sensitec blade fyi. Also, the powerwood is a very good blocking blade. I tested it using it as a feeding set up for some of my better students like 2000-2100 equivalent ratings and it blocks good against powerful topspins. Overall, Im gonna keep this and use it with 5Q on both sides.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

chameleon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chameleon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2012 at 9:40am

thanks for the review yogi...how would you compare (in terms of performance and build) the tibhar samsonov carbon to the ma lin carbon and the power wood to the ma lin extra offensive?

can you pm me prices on those blades in the philippine market?..thanks
Ma Lin Carbon ST
FH: Acuda S3 max
BH: Joola Turbo 2.0
STIGA Offensive Classic
FH: Acuda S2 max
BH: 802-40 max
carmelomaf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carmelomaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2012 at 1:39pm
I know and play SSC und PW since three years

they are very different for custruction

the PW like a thicker Peter Korbel and for sure OFF/OFF+ blade

the SSC is thinner than PW, has Balsa core and is a Off-/Off blade

Actually the real name is Stratus Samsonov CB and CB means Carbon Balsa 

Edited by carmelomaf - 09/01/2012 at 1:40pm
Tibhar MX-P 50 Max| BTY Boll ALC FL | Tibhar MX-S Max

an Italian playing TT in Germany
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2012 at 4:47pm
Do these blades come factory shaved in the neck area? Or did you just do it yourself?
Benigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2012 at 8:10pm
wow they are excellent looking blades, thanks for the comprehensive review! A powerwood is only $40 USD at TT11, and judging by all the good reviews plus this one, I'll have to consider! 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2012 at 8:15pm
carmelomaf, im not sure about the balsa inner core. the weight of the blade is in question if the inner core is balsa it could have been lighter by 5-7 grams but i will ask tibhar about this to be sure.

ianmcg, they are already shaved in the wing part in the factory

chameleon, ma lin carbon seemed slower than the ssc when i hit with it a few times way back in the past. both have different construction since the malin carbon is a soft carbon with walnut outer ply and the ssc has a carbon arylate composite layer. the powerwood has a softer feel than the ma lin extra off. ma lin extra off is faster than the powerwood but not much larger margin.

i think pingpongonline.com still have this blades except for the powerdef
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

golfnumeric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golfnumeric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2012 at 8:32pm
Thank you for the review again, yogi_bear. I've been interested in the Stratus Power Wood and will try soon.

Can you please compare the power wood to xeon sensitec in terms of the feel when you loop, drive, or even smash a ball? Does it give a loud sound and a good feel? Stiff or flexible?

Which do you like better between the two mentioned and why? Thank you. Big smile
chameleon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chameleon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2012 at 10:13pm
@yogi_bear
thanks for that feedback yogi...as per review, would you recommend the Stratus Samsonov CB a good alternative for the TBS and ALC?...i've been wanting to upgrade from ma lin carbon, is this a good alternative?

can you compare the SSC to the donic black devil blade?

thanks

Ma Lin Carbon ST
FH: Acuda S3 max
BH: Joola Turbo 2.0
STIGA Offensive Classic
FH: Acuda S2 max
BH: 802-40 max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 4:02am
Originally posted by chameleon77 chameleon77 wrote:

@yogi_bear
thanks for that feedback yogi...as per review, would you recommend the Stratus Samsonov CB a good alternative for the TBS and ALC?...i've been wanting to upgrade from ma lin carbon, is this a good alternative?

can you compare the SSC to the donic black devil blade?

thanks

if you are in a tight budget yes i would recommend the ssc. though i would recommend this for the ma lin carbon. you might want to test using carbon kevlar rubbers first since the ma lin carbon is pure carbon and the ssc have carbon kevlar, they have different fee.

black devil is faster and ligther  at 80 grams average though the black devil has a smaller head size

carmelomaf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carmelomaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 4:04am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

carmelomaf, im not sure about the balsa inner core. the weight of the blade is in question if the inner core is balsa it could have been lighter by 5-7 grams but i will ask tibhar about this to be sure.
ianmcg, they are already shaved in the wing part in the factory
chameleon, ma lin carbon seemed slower than the ssc when i hit with it a few times way back in the past. both have different construction since the malin carbon is a soft carbon with walnut outer ply and the ssc has a carbon arylate composite layer. the powerwood has a softer feel than the ma lin extra off. ma lin extra off is faster than the powerwood but not much larger margin.
i think pingpongonline.com still have this blades except for the powerdef

The weight of sscb that i had was between 83g and 88g instead for the pw between 85g and 92g

The sscb core is 100% balsa

I suggest the pw because you will get blades mostly with the same characteristic/feeling

For the sscb i don't know why but i got blades with very different feeling by the same weight

Edited by carmelomaf - 09/02/2012 at 4:14am
Tibhar MX-P 50 Max| BTY Boll ALC FL | Tibhar MX-S Max

an Italian playing TT in Germany
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 4:06am
Originally posted by golfnumeric golfnumeric wrote:

Thank you for the review again, yogi_bear. I've been interested in the Stratus Power Wood and will try soon.

Can you please compare the power wood to xeon sensitec in terms of the feel when you loop, drive, or even smash a ball? Does it give a loud sound and a good feel? Stiff or flexible?

Which do you like better between the two mentioned and why? Thank you. Big smile
the powerwood is more flexy, has more feel. sound is almost the same, xeon felt harder but powerwood seems faster

LaRedoute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRedoute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 2:00pm
powerwood would be a perfect blade if its weight varied 82-85g. my current SPW is 95gr!  and it definitely is headheavy! do NOT believe if someone tell you it is neutral balanced. even with light and medium soft rubbers it is on the heavy side. my second SPW was 93 and my third was 89gr/current spare blade/
buuut SPW gives you  looping feel and power and thats the reason i play with this hammerlike combos. this blade has significant flex when you topspin the ball and it is hard enough to finish a  point with powerdrive and open raquet angle
..and my muscles get stronger day by daySmile

Edited by LaRedoute - 09/02/2012 at 2:47pm
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 2:50pm
Yogi, can you compare Stratus Powerwood with a Samsonov Alpha blade? Thanks for your excellent review BTW. Clap

Edited by saif - 09/02/2012 at 2:54pm
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 8:04pm
saif thanks. i have had only a few hits with the alpha but I can say Alpha is more of an all around blade and significantly slower than the powerwood. the alpha is more of a control set up in attacking with much emphases on control and accuracy than speed and powershots. the alpha is much better in slow spinny looping but it lacks the punch in more powerful attacks

igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 2:56am
Hi Yogi ,
 would Tibhar Powerdefence with fairly fast max rubbers for example aurus or genious be a decent attacking combo for an allround player , wouldn't they ?
I guess slower combos with higher control could be more threatening than faster ones... I mean faster doesn't necessarily mean better and one can produce speedy and spinny balls by swinging a bit faster . What's your opinion about it ?

igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 3:08am
Originally posted by igszoctan igszoctan wrote:

Hi Yogi ,
 would Tibhar Powerdefence with fairly fast max rubbers for example aurus or genious be a decent attacking combo for an allround player , wouldn't they ?
I guess slower combos with higher control could be more threatening than faster ones... I mean faster doesn't necessarily mean better and one can produce speedy and spinny balls by swinging a bit faster . What's your opinion about it ?

@ Yogi, very nice review of the Tibhar Samsonov Stratus series.  I am using the Stratus Powerdefence blade myself.  Even though I sold my first one a lot time ago, I still ended up buying the same blade despite owning other blades such as the Matsush*ta Pro Model, Alpha, Victas Koji, JSY, etc.

@ igs.  I currently have a Bryce Speed on the forehand and Palio CK531A on the backhand.  Yes, for a defensive blade, I would suggest using a MAX rubber on the forehand.  I would've used a MAX thickness Bryce Speed if I had one.  I am currently using a 2.1mm thick which is the only one I have.
A fast rubber will be ideal on your forehand to counterattack or loop or drive.  Just keep a long pips in the backhand, perhaps a 0.8mm - 1.2mm sponged long pips will do, that should produce enough variations of spin.  The blade itself is actually quite fast, a little bit faster than the Joo Sae Hyuk, and not as heavy, which is good for loops.  I actually find the Stratus Defence loaded with gears suitable for all levels of play, from defensive to offensive. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nicKo5rgwjc&feature=plcp

This is me playing with the Stratus Defence (i'm the one in the red)
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 3:19am
@ Yogi, how does the SSC compared to Butterfly Schlager Carbon?  I really like the feel of the carbon, and provides very effortless returns on loops.  Is the SSC also effortless to play with? Or does it require a bit of execution?  Thanks!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 4:12am
liulin, the SSC is not as fast as the schlager carbon. its fast enough but not on the level of SC carbon. im quite impressed with the powerdefense because its not as expensive as those butterfly def blades but can do the same thing in play.

igzo, if you would put a 5Q or a P7 on the forehand using the powerdefense, your shots would still be fast. i would recommend a back to back inverted with it though because it has a larger head size being a chopping blade. 

manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2013 at 11:51am
which one of sscb  or power wood a close alternative to tbs ?
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2013 at 11:01am
sorry for repeat

which one of stratus samsonov carbon  or stratus power wood a close alternative to timo boll spirit ?

sorry for brothering

butterfly blade cost is too high and i,m butterfly-substitute  addict 

thanks for every one

Edited by manraid - 10/01/2013 at 11:30am
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2013 at 11:12am
stratus carbon is definitely closer in terms of feel.
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2013 at 11:31am
and in other aspects  is it close or power wood is closer?
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2013 at 4:37pm
Stratus carbon is also closer in other aspects: hardness, stiffness. Speedwise I found it a bit slower than TBS. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2013 at 5:12pm
Looks like Stratus CB is a close match to Ma Long's N886. Two limba plies and carbon-kevlar beneath.

Edited by GSOM_GSOM11 - 10/01/2013 at 5:12pm
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2016 at 5:40am
Hi Yogi,
do you think the stratus defence blade could be used with tensors both sides to give a more controllable spinning blade. I have a power wood but find it a bit too bouncy and lively.
is it a hard or soft feeling blade?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic